Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Everyone in the media should keep calling it a revised NAFTA or NAFTA 2018 or something just to spite Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Buck Wildman posted:

I figured that Bowsette had to be the result of heavy narcotics abuse.

Nah, that's just Japan being really horny for buff, busty, blonde cartoon girls

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Spooky months is now

That gif is basically a trace over from one of the gifs in this video or is it striaght from the anime? I haven't seen the ED in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNpMiT5qpyI

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

It's frustrating that they aren't willing to do that

There are enough Conservative/trash outlets that are 100% willing to throw softballs all day during briefings so getting thrown out wouldn't actually functionally do much other than allow Sanders and the WH to never get asked hard questions again. At least in the current status quo, they can get asked and we can at least see how they dodge it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I'd say that's an okay trade off if the amount cut is less than or equal to the pay raise.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

eonwe posted:

thoughts and prayers

What do you send a pimp who survived a mass shooting?

Thots and Prayers

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

zegermans posted:

Manchin plays to his constituency a lot.

His constituency just loving sucks

Honestly, that's what an elected official should be doing, playing to their constituency and not necessarily to only their base or party, but yeah, his constituency sucks big time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

the next couple hours are gonna be quiet so check this out

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1049682786024640512

I didn't realize just how thorough and organized the fascist wing was in Europe

I noticed this stuff popping up concurrently all over eastern Europe in summer 2013 and was like "Hey fascism keeps popping up all over guys" but never did a deep dive into what's happening there

Eastern Europe is going Fascist in a bad way in a conflux of anti-immigrant sentiment and anti-Leftist reactionism left over from the Cold War. Russia helping this along is lol, but Russia is not too far from being a Fascist Kleptocratic state itself, if not already there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Squizzle posted:

why do leftists keep getting blindsided by how deeply linked and organized the fash is

like if anyone should know that collaboration and organization is prob the greatest power that can be brought to change a society, its the fuckin left

Pretty much any worldwide Leftist organization was neutered via anti-Leftist reactionism during and after the Cold War while Fascist groups could continue to organize with less scrutiny.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

Yeah, I never understand the people that gripe about the left being useless nerds because up until the security apparatus became too incompetent, the book-readers were the only kind of leftist allowed to survive for the past 50 years

At least in any major developed country. Developing ones still have some Communists puttering about either engaging in violent revolution (and thus considered terrorists) or gaining token seats in parliamentary elections.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

we know China finally made it because they started disappearing their actual communists

Vietnam will probably do so in the future too. Meanwhile, there are actual violent Leftists in the Philippines (New People's Army) and the India (Naxalites) but basically no one talks about them outside of their respective countries.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

As a Floridian I'm always thinking about how this state could bring in tons of researchers and Grant money for climate change mitigation science because it's a) a flashpoint for environmental upheaval and therefore an ideal proving ground b) not Mississippi c) not Louisiana

Instead we have climate denial as a state policy

The funny thing is that even in spite of the State Gov't being in full climate denial mode, most, if not all, of the publicly funded universities are relatively cutting edge in regards to science and engineering regarding the mitigation of the effects of climate change. The Fed government has a lot of stuff in Florida that would likely end up seeing use in other states regarding future climatological effects (only modified based on regional soil and climate variances).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

shovelbum posted:

hows china on climate, they need to secure the existence of their people and a future for han children after all

The ground and water will be as poisonous as the First Emperor's tomb, but the skies will eventually be blue and clean.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phone posted:

the generic ballot being +13 dem (55 vs 41 or something according to the cnn poll) means that the house and senate should tip towards the dems

hwoever, hell world, and lol if you think that the dems are going to run "generic democrat" and not "jon ossoff mk. iv"

The House will. The Senate wont, but that's largely due to who's going up for Senate. 24 Blue seats are going up while 9 Red seats All of the Red seats are also in at least moderately Red states like Nevada or Mississippi while there are Dem seats in states like Indiana, Florida and Missouri that are also going up. Manchin's seat is also one of the 24 Dem seats going up too, but don't expect that one to be any less Conservative.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sloppo posted:

i just... i don't understand

how do you make a career out of writing or speaking about political or intellectual things with brazen confidence

and then be like "oh geez i guess i was wrong. prob shouldve done the reading"

who are these people? what are they like in the rest of their lives??

Brazen confidence is literally one of the big parts of creating a writing and speaking career out of almost nothing. The facts don't matter as much as sounding as confidently correct as possible and presenting them in a way that readers will like.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Eliminating the evidence I guess.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

they'd still have gone on because daily show and colbert had an essentially total monopoly on their incredibly valuable and otherwise generally unreachable demographic

Nah. With the burgeoning of Fox News and Right Wing internet, there was less and less need for Neocons to want to go onto those shows as their targeted political demographics were less and less interested in Colbert and Stewart, especially as those two became more and more critical of the GOP.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rah! posted:

"Bunker fuel is the generic term given to any fuel poured into a ship's bunkers to power its engines. Deepsea cargo ships typically burn the heavy, residual oil left over after gasoline, diesel and other light hydrocarbons are extracted from crude oil during the refining process."

TRUM :smugdon:

Can't blame that on TRUMP, all of that is those ships' port of calls not giving a poo poo about enviro regs. i.e. countries like Panama and Liberia

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/jackson_herring/status/1049743511199895552

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The sad part is that a lot of people making the sorts of decisions that could shift time, money and effort into fixing any cybersecurity holes in not just DoD equipment but US gov't stuff in general are way too old and out of date to really understand how bad poo poo really is without a working demonstration (i.e. actively getting hosed with) of such things. And even then, a lot of it is just bitching at tech support to fix it. This is pretty common with any major corp afaict though.

As an example though, with the DoD some of the tech support stuff is done in-house, but some of the sub-agencies like USACE has their tech support contracted out to another company called Leidos. Honestly, we need a Cyber Force more than a Space Force and while we do have the US Cyber Command, it should be its own Military Department like the Air Force or Army rather than divided amongst branches and go beyond just protecting .mil networks (DHS handles .gov security and idk who handles general US cyber security beyond other than at a private, company level).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MysteriousStranger posted:

We do have a cyber command, and the DISA already does most of what you are talking about here. https://iase.disa.mil/Pages/index.aspx

The issue is that cyber system aren't cool like invisible planes and they aren't make work programs that can be spread over all 50 states as pork. So it's hard to convince the fuckers in congress to fund things.

Why the gently caress does DISA exist separately, but alongside CYBERCOM? And whythe gently caress does Army Corps used a contracted third party rather than them? DoD is so dumb.

As far as makework for cyber systems, offer up DoD Server offices or something to be housed in those states or have special DoD issued electonic manufacturing/modification facilities in states rather than just getting manufacturers to modify preexisting ones and then charge at or way above retail rate for similarly built models. Or offer up cybersecurity services for states with a preference for local hires. Boom. Jobs and money. Computer toucher jobs at that. Btw, just looking at acquisition prices, unmodified electronics seem to cost way more than retail rate yet we can't contract out to domestic companies to have them cheaper? Lol.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Why the gently caress does DISA exist separately, but alongside CYBERCOM? And whythe gently caress does Army Corps used a contracted third party rather than them? DoD is so dumb.

As far as makework for cyber systems, offer up DoD Server offices or something to be housed in those states or have special DoD issued electonic manufacturing/modification facilities in states rather than just getting manufacturers to modify preexisting ones and then charge at or way above retail rate for similarly built models. Or offer up cybersecurity services for states with a preference for local hires. Boom. Jobs and money. Computer toucher jobs at that. Btw, just looking at acquisition prices, unmodified electronics seem to cost way more than retail rate yet we can't contract out to domestic companies to have them cheaper? Lol.

Note to self and others: My work computer is billed at $2633.12. It's a Dell Precision 4800 that's been modified. My monitor is a Dell U2412MB billed at $279.09 and I doubt it's been modified. Compare those to IRL retail prices when new as opposed to, say, bulk rates that retailers would pay. I'd wager a lot of the DoD's tech stuff is like this.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Thoguh posted:

And they've also put political appointees in lots of places that even under Bush were non-political jobs. So whoever comes after Trump has to either just let a bunch of chuds stick around running everything or totally start from scratch.

If they were appointed in, they can get removed as appointments for good or for ill. If they were actual career positions that had postings and everything, that makes it a bit harder since they'd then have to go through the various hoops to show how incompetent they really are over an extended period of time. Of course, the Trump admin is likely gonna sabotage anyone coming after him that isn't a proper loyalist so there's that to also look forward too. Barring proper impeachment or untimely removal, whatever poo poo he leaves behind for the next president as required by law is going to be as thin and useless as legally possible (and even then, he'd probably be willing to tie it up in court)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mayor Dave posted:

Yeah but in a lot of the appointed positions, especially the non political ones, the old guys stay on the ease the transition for the new guys, because these are positions managing billions of dollars (the department of energy has a 30 billion dollar budget,for example) and a sudden transition means real problems

So of course that's what Trump did, he kicked everyone out who understood how their agencies worked on day one and replaced them with hacks with no credentials to speak of (Eric Trump's brother in law is now running the department of agriculture's public policy operation, for example)

This matters, because the new president will either have to replace the morons on day one and start fresh again, which is very difficult and stressful and risky, or have them stay on to make it easier to transition and be stuck with their dumb asses messing with the actual power in the country for months

As someone who works in government already (albeit for three months), there's a very good chance that starting from scratch (and supported by whoever's left in career positions) would end up smoother than having a months long transition period (and being supported by someone who has a marginal idea of what the position entails). It also depends on who's going to be put in to fill the role as it's possible that, given a new admin that seems 100% more friendly to gov't people, all of the old departures would be open to coming back in and trying to pretend the Trump years didn't happen.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Montasque posted:

My parents got me a kit for the Holidays because they wanted to find out how Jewish my family was.

This is how boomers think.

The actual useful stuff is related to health. Good news for me - I am going to have Alzheimer's soon!

A lot of those kits are really only useful for people of African, European and some Indigenous American descent. If you're of East or Southeast Asian descent, lol. There's one fat category for you because they don't have enough data at all to even separate them out outside of really broad categories. My aunt tried it and it was the most useless result since it basically told us everything we knew already from what little info we had about that side of the family.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

f#a# posted:

i don't think flight works this way

Wings are what keep planes up. What if we designed the entire plane like a wing?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wow! 800? That's more accounts that a script could whip up in an hour.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

the below is fuzzily remembered, details may not be 100% accurate:

there was a famous airline crash about four or so decades ago above San Diego where a smaller plane clipped a passenger plane because of poor air traffic control and reckless pilots

the larger plane careened down and hit a road in a San Diego neighborhood nose-first

The plane crumpled into itself in like an instant and every single passenger was crushed to bits. during the crumpling, the fuselage ruptured and the extreme pressure blew all the passengers and the crew out of that rupture in the fuselage, raining the neighborhood with blood, guts, liquefied human fat, fingers and bones over like half a square mile or so?

the carnage was so total and utter that almost everyone in the cleanup crew contracted PTSD and is still bothered by it years later

Actual articles on the details and specifics (esp. the impact and aftermath of the crash itself) are hard to find because it was so gruesome and it was so bad for the airline industry so they tried to not talk about it as much as possible and there were mucho regulations and requirements instituted afterwards

so to answer your question, depends on how fast the plane is going when you smash into the ground, you probably won't even know you're dead

Was it this one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_Flight_182

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Lately in the PNW subway has started running ads about how actually they're a cool hipster artisanal sandwich shop because they use local tomatoes or something

It made me wonder if they're doing similar things in the midwest or the south like just slathering their subs in gravy and calling it country fried subway or some poo poo

I ate at a Subway near the Great Wall in China and it was the eeriest thing to see normal Subway ingredients there since I'd never see poo poo like fresh olives or fresh tomatoes anywhere else.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Reality Pisser posted:

Was he the sex pest one

That was Batali

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

There's a NPR thing (snap judgement I think) where they have scientists talk about the immediate aftermath of the asteroid hitting and it's :black101: as gently caress

They talk about poo poo like raining glass, the oxygen in the atmosphere catching on fire, all sorts of crazy poo poo

Snap Judgement is really good. Reveal is too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

tenderjerk posted:

these are both great but holy crap i cannot think of two programs that anger up the blood more than these two

It's the good kind of program that angries up the blood (angry at the injustices they discuss and talk about) as opposed to poo poo like Planet Money or their other more milquetoast poo poo (angry at them being euro-style pro-capitalist liberal centrists). Those are the programs that Left Wing radio should be like in contrast to Right Wing talk radio which is the same but from the opposite political pov.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

zegermans posted:

"perjury trap" is actually a really loving genius way of framing "My client is physically incapable of telling the truth like some sort of mirror universe version of Liar, Liar"

Also "My client is too stupid to know when to plead the 5th."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

lol lowtax literally pointed this poo poo out with FYAD in the early 2000s

And yet Lowtax was right about how to deal with that poo poo the whole time: call it stupid and ban the dumb fuckers who couldn't tell irony from legit nazism

With 4chan, m00t and the new owner wouldn't have stopped poo poo. m00t was already checking out by the time Red Pilling became a thing and Hiro, the new owner, sees 4chan as a capitalistic venture where user data can be sold and monetized. Reddit nominally could do something as their staff seems at least nominally more responsive to stopping this stuff, but the owners, I think are in the same boat as Hiro, though maybe less craven.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

alnilam posted:

lowtax seems to understand the internet (and why it got terrible) better than almost anyone, probably from 20 years of dealing with idiots on SA

He didn't know enough to gtfo though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

neutral milf hotel posted:

wait the new owner of 4chan is named after the guy from snowcrash?

He has the same name. Full name is Hiroyuki Nishimura
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroyuki_Nishimura

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

most of the basta toxx thread doesn't necessarily trust or support him, we just know he's going to win

I'd vote for Bernard Sanders over him if both were on the ballot, but Avenatti over literally everybody else either because they suck (Biden, Booker) or because they're too nice to win (Warren)

What are the odds Gabbard wins? I think she'd stand a chance and she really loving loves blowing up Muslim elementary schools so the establishment would happily back her

The Dem clown car come 2020 is going to be interesting. Also, the person who'll get the most coverage will be the person who rankles Trump the most.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Al! posted:

china is bad but i really am finding it funny when americans warn of the dangers of them replacing the us

China being better at Economic Imperialism than the US is funny, imo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

not as funny as them pumping the US full of opium to destabilize us

That pushes it to ironically funny. (Properly, it should be them shipping opiates to the UK, but :shrug: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

near the end of my tenure running restaurants, the new CEO opened up his 2nd year by talking about how we're in the black and making a bunch of money, but also hour are to be cut by 30% and raises frozen (for the 5th year in a row)

then somebody asked him about the 700,000 dollar raise he gave himself and he got Real Fuckin Mad, then he'd almost calmed back down when somebody said "well you can schedule me for Christmas day but I'm not coming in" when he refused to answer if we'd be open on Christmas that year for the first time ever, as though anything but an immediate "no" was gonna be accepted

he was pounding on the loving desk lmao

lmao gently caress him

• Locked thread