Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

oh boy a 1970s Xmas period piece . would fit well today lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

loquacius posted:

It was D&D of course, and they said I (a Jew) was ruining the Christmas season for quote "everyone else" end quote

I guess all those beloved Xmas songs written by Jews got to go then.

I always look forward to the stupid Chanukah movie hallmark releases every year. only time I watch a romcom. it’s funny because it’s a bunch of lonely adults talking about it like Xmas and there are barely any kids…

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Tankbuster posted:

You know what other cool movie had songs by queen? Highlander.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

I’ve never seen a Nathan Fielder show before (only know him from the meme picture with all his friends out of the frame). I just finished the first episode of the rehearsal and I’m struggling to put it into words. what the gently caress and lmao

i watched first episode and to me it just seems like someone with autism and infinite money doesn’t know about therapy

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Tankbuster posted:

How do they reproduce then?

they lay an egg after the “sexual event” (their term) I guess . why the egg is laid is unexplained.

that species spoiler:
that alien species gets expelled from their interplanetary union for being bigger bigots than what’s allowed

sonatinas has issued a correction as of 17:48 on Sep 9, 2022

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Antonymous posted:

my friend played the twin peaks theme before I saw the show and I was like wtf you like this? it's so cheesy and hokey. you're serious??

but now I well up with tears and whisper 'Laura' to no one when it plays

my friend had a framed picture of Laura Palmer and convinced people that it was his ex who died

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

Was Our Flag Means Death a romcom (if thats still even what we're talking about)? The like one ad for it I saw looked like a piratey period drama i thought?

the period pirate stuff is just for scenery and costumes imo.

one ep has a character showing off their art that is beyond their time iirc

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

Yeah Fender also has newer, younger musicians endorse them and have signature models through them

like Fender has a H.E.R guitar and Gibson has yet another Slash model.

Gibson supposedly is improving their QC but I'm pretty sure it's just the design of their necks that cause the headstock to break off if you even look at them wrong. I wanted a 335 style guitar so I just bought a cheaper Ibanez instead because I've never heard of an Ibanez breaking

Squiers are great guitars now, and they make weirder configurations. I have a fretless P Bass that I don't hesitate to gig with. It was like $350 and it's a great bass for the price

these days you can just buy anything under 200-300 and it will be fine. you got squires but then you have the Harley bentons or whatever Cort is making for you that are good guitars.

only the blues lawyers or olds give a poo poo about Gibson or prs.

I bought a strandberg recently because I needed something light weight for my back and ergonomic for my hands. it’s great. I can play a lot longer without trying to fight the instrument.

also regardless of your rig, tone comes from your fingers.

sonatinas has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Oct 13, 2022

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

Amazon of all places has some Shaw Brothers classics you can stream for free if you have Prime. There's 36th Chamber of Shaolin and One Armed Boxer.

I'm also a big fan of 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, but you may need to pay for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG1GEiKWwW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoKUf1kMv_g

The final fight is still one of the most awesome things I've ever seen. I don't want to provide spoilers since I think you should watch it all, but maybe others in this thread will like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZLqC04uR6c

8 diagram pole fighter is a masterpiece. got to see it in theaters and was blown away.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

tubi is what streaming should have been all along - tons of piles of old content that are real movies made with real people, instead of nonstop cranked out content to make new IPs no one wants

I guess Pluto tv is similar but I just watch price is right reruns to wind down before bed

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

Five Deadly Venoms - A kung fu mystery crime film. An old master trained masked proteges in the style of different venomous animals and now they're out doing wicked things and after a hidden treasure. The master's new student, trained in a little bit of each style, is sent to uncover the hidden venoms and stop whatever plot they have cooking up. The actors in this became known as the Venom Mob and their movies became a subgenre in and of itself. Another Chang Cheh film, one of his most famous.

Dirty Ho - lol lmao, you said 'dirty ho'. An undercover prince (Gordon Liu) hides his proficiency with kung fu by hiring a con man as his fake body guard and doing kung fu 'through' him by puppeteering his body. Some creative fight scenes. Another Lau Kar Leung film.

these are must watches.

for b-c level shlock you can’t go wrong with monkey Kung fu and mystery of chess boxing.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's an opinion I've caught a lot of poo poo from friends over the years for, but sooner or later, they all accept that placing a TV 2 inches from your ceiling isn't good for their neck health.

it would destroy my neck. you can buy mounts that bring the TVs down if you have to mount it that high.

the rise of neck surgeries can be attributed to looking up and down a lot on devices and your tv is too dang high

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Loomis is always full of poo poo. It's why I love him

https://youtu.be/_RT68x-AZOQ

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

The Unnamed One posted:

The People's Champ vs the People's Republic of China Champ

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

the mom in ponyo is going to take her driving skills to the rebellion

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

oh dang he finally beat Leon eh? been watching with my kid. maybe he can convince Goh to stop his journey on collecting all the Pokémon , including mew.

but ash is already the greatest I mean he had Pokémon gods flow through him and dude inter dimensionally traveled and all he could think about was training and maybe eating. totally oblivious to the post apocalyptic world around him…

sonatinas has issued a correction as of 16:25 on Nov 11, 2022

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

isn’t Yellowstone the biggest show on tv that just isn’t in the pop zeitgeist that shows like thrones or whatever disney stuff occupies

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

so are people actually trying to cancel bach for having too many kids or did tar use this as a plot point because of how absurd it sounds

what are you talking about?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

loquacius posted:

not a pejorative statement: My Neighbor Totoro is for little kids. Like, toddlers. The story is lighter because it's on the right level for its intended audience. I have shown it to my two-year-old and would easily do so again, but I would not do this with Spirited Away because I care about her well-being.

Next Ghibli film up w/r/t age is probably Kiki's Delivery Service, which she also liked. Not sure after that -- Porco Rosso maybe? (I haven't seen that one)

ponyo is better for toddlers than Kiki’s delivery service.

totoro is the perfect toddler movie.

surprised the silent “sunrise” is so high on the list

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Rental Sting posted:

I am just going to do it. Watch Andrei Rublev tonight. Maybe follow it up with Ted 2.

lol following up rublev with Ted 2 is quite the double header

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

lol

also Cat People's theme song is an all-timer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9GbGO7CKdQ

I’m prefer the version with SRV riffing at the beginning(I think it’s him?). when you have Bowie, Nile rodgers , and SRV in the 80s you gonna get magic.

https://youtu.be/m0ODoeBc04g

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

Not that there is a "wrong" opinion to have, but you're the first person I've come across who prefers the Let's Dance version to the original soundtrack version. The original is peak Moroder.

I love moroder for sure but maybe as a guitarist I just enjoy the groove of the beginning and just the feel of the album version .

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

gone with the wind 2 would be the funniest entry in “the discourse “

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

People love the Castlevania show but Konami won't make a new game :negative:

they make new castlevania games on pachinko

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

dude wrote good scores no doubt

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Lucas should have told run run shaw I’ll fund a venoms movie in SW universe.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

on long movie chat I got 1/3 of the way through andrei rublev, should I pick up where I left off or put it off until I've got time to properly digest it as a whole? It's pretty good so far

it’s been about 20 years for me. but I’d recommend trying it all at once if you can.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

here’s a good one but there are so many.

https://youtu.be/iwRpSq7GUiA

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

dang rip Jeff beck, one of the greats…except he ended his career doing shows with depp eww

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Kunster posted:

As someone who had a silibing that would get the Lego catalogues on the mail: That has been around for like 25 years or so, and there's a whole bunch more Lego cartoons around.

my kid binged Ninjago. that series a serialized kids show that isn’t too bad.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I thought banshees was mediocre so it’s gonna win.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Xaris posted:

how does it compare to In Bruges

I actually liked In Bruges a lot (I even rewatched it while literally being in Bruges). but McDonough is kinda mixed bag for me. he definitely has a style and talent. but I didn’t really like seven psychopaths.

in Bruges is better from my memory imo.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Antonymous posted:

If you thought you were an 'artsy kid' in the early 2000s idk how david lynch and radiohead weren't a fact of life. it was unavoidable

in 1998 freshman year of college my friend had a framed picture of Laura Palmer in his room and would tell people it was his dead GF. he had the vhs box set and introduced me to it. good times.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

dang I hope William zabka is gettin paid for this success.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Wednesday was ok but I’ve had my fill of kid private school shows. tried to watch this vampire show on peacock and it was the same setting.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

i say swears online posted:

anyone keep up with three body problem? tencent youtube is up to episode 8 now, which means about 5 hours of content. is it exciting yet?

I’m going to keep watching it out of curiosity but so far the only thing that has happened is the 2 main characters played a 2008 weird VR game.

overall the story is interesting to me and curious how it goes but the pacing and the cinematography is starting to be a bit off putting. maybe it’s the video camera/frame rate look.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

should be holding a corona

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Substandard posted:

I started watching that Three-Body 30 episode adaptation of Three Body Problem that Tencent put out. It moves incredibly slowly. I can't really decide if I like it or not yet.

I’m on ep 19 and I’m used to the slow pacing. I haven’t read the book but it’s such an odd series so far. the end credits song though is pretty good.

I’m hoping lose threads start tying up though.

I just don’t get all the random blurred text and then it isn’t blurred and they say it anyway.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

i say swears online posted:

I tapped out in ep 4. there's really another 10 hours of this show where not a lot happens?

really depends on what you mean by “happens” lol

it did pick up once we started having flashbacks to early 70s. I’ve been liking those eps the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

First few seasons are ok but when Worf shows up in Season 4 and starts demolishing everyone's poo poo it really takes off.

worf pretty much turns into the rebirth of Kahless when he gets on DS9