Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Humphreys posted:

Because of the greater sigma of WRX owners being insufferable?

Usually its because a lot of WRX owners are morons, so they are an easy ticket. Plus they are cheap, so there is a good chance the person inside can't fight a ticket, while that Mustang/Vette could be a old person with time to fight the ticket.
I'll miss my WRX, it was fun to drive. Plus, anyone else with one would have at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Is that Edinburgh? When I visited someone shared a story of there being a traffic cone stuck at the very top of that spire one morning and no one could ever quite figure out how someone got it up there.

I spent a few days in Edinburgh, and traffic cones being on top of things they don't belong on appears to be a sport there.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

A few years ago I was taking a train from London to Edinburgh; a little before York the train slows and stops. They announce the train on the other line had hit a cow that wandered onto the tracks. And we’d have to wait for the tracks to be cleared. It pretty much vaporized half the cow, there were bits of it splattered on the surrounding fences.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

One guy flew by a IJN ship and shot at them with his sidearm.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
A guy working a local car wash lost his leg while working at a car wash.

https://helenair.com/news/local/hel...ome-top-story-1

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I liked 'em. They do "short" hops around here, and yeah they're tiny but taking these turboprop planes to smaller terminals was a nice change of pace.

Used to fly in some planes that size before the regional airline that ran them went out of business. I think about half the flights I took in them had some moments where you'd start to nervously glace at other passengers.
Best one I can remember is coming back to Missoula from Boise, we got near a large forest fire that was in the area. All of a sudden, the plane just plummeted for a bit after hitting turbulence. Thankfully, everyone was buckled in, as that would have really bounced someone around.

Also, the pilot would move be people around the cabin as he eyeballed the weight of passengers.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/pqvicMq.mp4

i want to ride the floor peeler

Sequel to Power Washer Simulator looks great.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

What? That's an ntsb regulation to honk at level crossings.

Where I used to live they worked out something with the trains no longer having to hit the horn when going through the city. They improved the signals at the crossings as well.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

Good.

I watched the engine trouble video after it came up in some aviation threads, and it's the dumbest thing ever. ":effort: Oh...oh no...my engine's out. Time to barely waggle the stick for five seconds instead of doing any normal engine out procedures. Welp, good thing I have this parachute on, which I definitely have always worn before" *dives out cockpit door, which was unlatched before the engine went out*

Also good thing I put this camera on the strut to catch me bailing.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

El Spamo posted:

Hah, I was listening to an episode of Last Podcast on the Left and they were talking about some folks way out on an isolated off-grid farm hearing "phantom hums" when it was very quiet and still. Not sure if the hosts clocked it, but to me I couldn't help but say to myself "you ding dongs, it's so quiet that your brain and ears are picking up and making into sound anything they can possibly can." It's not a secret underground government lab or aliens, it's just so quiet that your body adjusts and gets a little squirrely.

In those rooms they use for sound testing that are super soundproof, there is always mention of how people can't be in there for long before their brain goes a little weird from being able to hear things you generally don't.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

withak posted:

:lol: @ the screen in the car showing the 3d rendering of the train popping in and out of existence, while its location also changes by at least 10 feet side to side.

I've ridden in a friend's Telsa, and there are times when it decides a blinking light near the road is a yellow traffic light, and will start slowing down. Also there there is an overpass that was built over where a roundabout was, and the car will hit the brakes when it gets near it. Everytime, he has to send a voice thing to report the car doing that. Apparently it has been over a year and no change.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

KoRMaK posted:

ive done exactly this in bf2 so many times i dont know why this is even remarkable enough to post

Word. Remember doing that with a blackhawk.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

The Shortest Path posted:

Didn't people do exactly this to a beached whale and it uhhhhhhhh not go well at all?

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6CLumsir34

I have family that has worked trail crew for the Forrest Service, and this is a thing that happens. The horse explosion, not the whale. So far.

First time my cousin was on a crew with it, a pack horse had died up a trail, so they went up to remove it. Their crew was a little fast and loose on the amount they used, but they definitely turned that horse into bits. At least they hope so, as there was a horse, then an explosion, and no horse. Either that or they launched it somewhere into the woods.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

devmd01 posted:

Did that at university to printers all over campus. Nothing offensive, just silly stuff like “INSERT COIN.” I was a student IT worker, so I heard that the printer admin went crazy, thought we were being hacked, and completely restricted access to talk to the printers so everything had to run through the print server. Like hell I admitted it lol.

I did that to a couple of printers at work. I think one was unnoticed for a week or so, the other someone laughed, then rebooted it. Although I made sure to not run it on any printer that wasn't in IT.
I had more luck with printing out the fake voice activated printer sheet. That had one of the more highstrung data entry people yelling at it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

kw0134 posted:

If these are indeed bricks of a controlled substance then suddenly the video makes a whole lot more sense.

Its bags of coke stuffed into the frame of the trailer.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Preoptopus posted:

Discount is very specific in how they do things. They have it to a science which is why they are the monster they have become. They are all about efficiency so im sure everyone has a specific task and they have 4 guys to a car. I busted tires at a sears auto center and that was run on with a very loose 80s mentality. (Which is why they arnt around anymore) We had way more fun than thoes guys can dream about.

Its wild how good they are at just getting cars in and out. I used to use Costco, and they would be a half day turn around on just about anything, but DT is about an hour.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Oh no.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

other people posted:

what the gently caress

Baby blender.

or how you xray one. Either or.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Kenning posted:

I am curious about the tingle.

There is a set of high voltage lines at a golf course I went too many, many years ago with my dad. When you walked under them, I heard a hum and got a headache. No one else in the group did. Talked to someone at the course and there are employees that quit because they can't stand to be near them.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

MightyJoe36 posted:

Years ago when I worked in a garage we had a guy come in who tried this on his windshield. Looked like it was raked by machine gun fire minus the bullet holes.

Had a neighbor many years ago fall and break a leg because they poured boiling water on their steps to melt the snow and ice. While it melted some of it, it then turned the rest into a basically frictionless surface.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

I was like this till I drove something with actually useful cruise control.

You want to talk about not driving tired, radar cruise control takes a huge load off your driving calculus brain centers. Massive difference in how I feel after a long days drive. Non cruise brain needs to think about : what pedal position for my cruise speed, what pedal position when car in front get closer, what pedal position to pass or clear dangerous drivers, is car in front getting closer, am I able to pass yet etc. Radar cruise control is just set it and occasionally give it some gas to pass or brake for congestion. You're still driving the whole time so those latter events aren't going to surprise you. In fact with your pedal calculus brain freed from figuring out control inputs you have that much more brain capacity for defensive cataloguing the cars around you.

Yea, RCC is amazing for long drives or highways. I have it set to stay back farther, so occasionally it will slow down a little too much when someone is pulling off the road, but otherwise, it does a great job.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

ReelBigLizard posted:

Solid Snacke

Tactical Buffet Action

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Preoptopus posted:

gently caress

One dead, 28 injured. Sounds like a storm just tore through the place.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

knuthgrush posted:

Also the lots of confiscated items on eBay and at gun shows or flea markets. Usually knives in a box but sometimes various travel bags and small electronics. I'm sure some of them aren't actually TSA but with the volume I see, I feel like there may be a grain of truth to it.

Occasionally TSA auctions show up on Ebay. Its mostly knives and multitools. A coworker was looking at a box of multitools as you could get a decent Leatherman or Gerber one for cheap.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

The day after taking a strong antibiotic and becoming temporarily lactose intolerant but still having cheese.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

I'm getting some tree work done tomorrow and I want to show this to the guy.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
A sparkler was the only thing to give me a decent injury when growing up and playing with fireworks. Visiting my grandparents at their house and somehow the idea of running while holding a sparkler in each hand seemed like a good idea. While doing that, I tripped and landed on one, and had this fun scar for quite awhile. Never injured myself worse even when moving up to Dumb Teenager levels of pyrotechnics.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

MisterOblivious posted:

That may be the correct opinion about sparklers and how insanely loving dangerous that is that sparklers were considered a "young-child's firework."
That is, until you learn about the glory of a "sparkler bomb."

Google only wants to tell me about people arrested or maimed by sparkler bombs. That's how you know they're cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJEe8LFtD4o&t=42s (scroll back if you want to see how one is assembled)

So anyways, I've been shopping at my dad's high-school buddies' fireworks stand my entire life. They basically sell me poo poo at cost so I'll buy entire cases of stuff like sparklers and bottle rockets. If you're still a young goon go get you a case of sparklers this weekend. It's the 4th! Ignore the social nervousness and just go up to the counter of the shack* and be like "how much for a case of sparklers."

*: If you're buying your fireworks from a store rather than some shack you've already made several mistakes.

Years ago, they changed something with how sparklers burn so they don't turn into a IED when wrapped in tape. Maybe there are some brands that still work the right way, but it was pretty disappointing that you couldn't turn a few bucks of sparklers into something that sets off car alarms.
That video is just a jet of fire, sparkler bombs were incredibly loud and made an impressive shockwave. It did get to the point where every store in town pulled electrical tape from shelves.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 1, 2023

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Some amazing restraint at not throwing the shovel at her.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Man, I assembled a ground level deck and did a better job doing it, and i'm someone that people normally keep away from power tools.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Fries are up

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

I'm not sure how an eclipse could fry your phone camera. The reason staring at an eclipse is bad for your eyes is that since it's dark, your iris opens up to allow more light in - but there's still a similar amount of UV to normal, which ends up cooking your retina.

That's not how phone cameras work though! There's no iris, the sensor is just getting hit by the same amount of UV as it always is on a sunny day.

Because you have a giant rear end lens pointing straight at the sun, and its not the UV so much as the heat. Same idea as a magnifying glass and ants.

Back in the 2017 eclipse I used a solar filter before the sun was completely covered, as that was still enough light to damage my lens. Soon as it completely covered, I was able to take the filter off.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Javid posted:

As an anecdata point, in high school I was in welding AND photography, and the photography teacher was long since used to telling the welding kids "yes you can take pictures of welding, no you cannot look through the manual viewfinder or you will blind yourself, idiot, use the giant screen on the back" without even the perfunctory safety shouting that "we want to take football action shots from the sidelines" would have gotten out of that dude

I have been taking photos of welding with arbitrary cameras since then and have yet to cook a one that way

similarly, I like taking pictures of the sun. In 2017 I really wanted to take photos of the big eclipse. I decided well before leaving that I was willing to trade my cheap old superzoom camera for even one good photo of the event.
with that in mind, I proceeded to photograph the entire eclipse with this thing I hacked out of a set of recalled eclipse glasses:

unexpectedly, the camera lived, and I got about the best I could expect out of that setup

Very nice. I used some slide over filters, but they were touch smaller then my nice lens, so I used a smaller telephoto.
This is my best shot. This was with the filter off, once the eclipse hit full I didn't need it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Would much rather have deer in the ceilings then that.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Bad Munki posted:

People in Alaska love to go fishing with guns, or at least used to. Growing up in the 80s, we certainly had a halibut gun. Gotta shoot that halibut because it’s just so darn big!

This is simply the obvious conclusion to that line of thinking.

Went halibut fishing a long time ago, the boat captain said he keeps a small .410 shotgun for shooting the very large halibut before they bring them aboard. Even though halibut generally put up less of a fight then a random log, a large one could still hurt someone.
He did mention that he's had people use their own guns for this and basically unload into the fish. They pretty much ruin the meat.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Jet Jaguar posted:

I would be willing to bet it does, but the deadman switch that would cut it off is zip-tied so that it’s always on.

The slowly blooming cloud of grass clippings and oil in the pool is a bit ominous.

A coworker had went to work for a company that had taped the deadman switch down on a ditch witch, and it took off from him and ran into a customer's house.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Later snowlords

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

As someone in Montana, there is no greater joy then watching some idiot FAFO with wild animals like that.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Had a place I used to live at that developed a big hole near the entrance to the parking lot. The apartment manager didn't really give a poo poo about fixing. One of my neighbors in the building decided to fix it, so they went to HD and got this single bag of asphalt mix that was used to fill a small pothole. I think you needed a hand tamper, but they didn't have one so they just used the bag and jumped up and down on it. Actually worked surprisingly well all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Antigravitas posted:

I wonder if the people using those tools ever go mad with power and continue stripping paint off things beyond their original target.

Imagine hiring someone to remove paint from a fence and a few hours later the cars in the driveway are glittering in the sun, all exposed metal…

When I first got a power washer to clean a deck, I pretty much walked around the outside of the house power washing anything within reach.