Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Can we just launch all politicians to the moon and leave them there?

It'd be the highest ratings of anything ever if it was broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Boogalo posted:

Bang zoom straight to the moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPkhhLC1tf8

One of the greatest pieces of chiptune music.

I had that song in mind when making that previous post.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Oh boy. Two primary threads lecturing people on why people just need to resign themselves to vote for someone who isn't going to do anything for them, as if it's actually going to accomplish anything, as if there is any hope at the end of this tunnel at this point, or at least until 2024.

Gonna be a fun 6 months. :suicide:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

The Sean posted:

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm not even sure if I will vote Biden or not. At this point I'm not, but I'll write in Bernie. Either way, I'm definitely voting in general. I vote in every possible election and I urge others to do so, as well.

I'm exploring this idea in the thread because I want to be challenged and change my mind if there is a good enough reason. No pro-Biden poster in here has done that. It's constantly sidestepping the idea of how "vote blue no matter who" literally reinforces to the DNC to keep choosing center-right unelectable candidates.

Instead I'm getting poo poo like this:

Biden 2020: Drink Chlorine or Drink Cyanide, No Other Options.

Wow that's very motivating. Also ignores the fact that I don't need to drink poison.

Pretty much. Biden's reach for the presidency is ill-fated as it is. I don't see anything in him that screams "he deserves my vote!".

I'll still go out and vote for everyone else, but loving :lol: if you think that you can force me to vote for someone I see zero merit in just so the other guy who also has zero merit can be voted out.

Tell me why Biden deserves my vote; tell me why the rapey swiss-cheese-brained mushmouth deserves my consideration. "Just because he's not Trump" is not a good answer. I hate Trump too. I'm sick of him too. I'm sick of the constant narcissism, the tweets, the insults, the propaganda, the lies. But can you really look me in the face, and tell me, very honestly, that any of this will be any better with Biden? Because I ain't seein' it.

This is 2016 all over again, where the most unqualified and unlikely nominee gets pushed into the highest position of power-- except this time, it's the most unqualified and unlikely nominee against the OTHER most unqualified and unlikely nominee.

I may have said in the past that I'd hold my nose and vote for Biden, but that was before the rape allegations came out, and that was before I knew more about him, and that was before he presented himself as a demented fool being pushed into the spotlight rather than a nursing home. I'm not convinced anymore.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

sit on my Facebook posted:

That's because your social and political analysis is utterly juvenile and selfish

Instead of insult slinging, why don't you tell us the merits of why Biden would be better? I asked earlier and I'm still waiting for an answer.

I can still be convinced! But that actually, you know, takes some convincing, as to why I should hold my nose again and say "yeah, I'll vote for the senile rapist, this will bring a positive change to the nation that we aren't seeing with Trump".

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

marshmonkey posted:

ITT we have to explain why actually, Trump is bad.

No one needs convincing as to why Trump is bad ITT. People ITT are wanting an explanation as to why actually, Biden is good.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
edit: gently caress it whatever

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

I swear to god no one cares more about ratings than this bastard. It's almost as if he thinks the presidency is a reality show with no consequences.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1248379618370838531

holy gently caress what?????

e: oh its in the CARES act

lmao trump is at least smart enough to tout the good parts of the law

So wait, I'm on the PSLF plan. Having my payments waived completely fucks up my 120 consecutive payments, doesn't it? I've been doing this for 4 years now, I don't wanna break the chain.

However:

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1248339771933556736

seriously, this is like the least inspiring policy i can imagine.

how on earth is anyone gonna be motivated to vote for biden with poo poo like this

even goddamn HILLARY campaigned on lowering medicare to 55

that loan forgiveness does release me from my own personal hell, but it doesn't help the people hit the hardest.

Why are these people having such a hard time doing the right thing? Jesus Christ. All you have to say is "student loans forgiven" and you'd win over so many people.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

atomicgeek posted:

They don't have to be consecutive. 120 payments total, and a missed payment won't erase the other ones you've made.

Xombie posted:

They don't have to be consecutive. Usually the worst part would be that you'd still be accruing interest during deferment, but interest is currently being waived during the period.

Interesting. This whole time I thought it had to be consistent monthly payments.

In that case, cool, I'll take it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Cool, how much will it help for me who's student loan debt is all from a private school

Oh wait, it won't even get rid of the accumulated interest.

You owe more in interest than I do in my entire loving loan and I *still* cannot afford to pay mine off at a reasonable pace.

This is hosed on multiple levels.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Prairie Bus posted:

The law is better than that. The text of the CARES act made clear that your suspended payments will count towards your 120 on time payments. Moreover, the Department of Education confirmed this - https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/coronavirus#forbearance-questions.

Pretty surprising they didn’t try to gently caress people.

That's.... actually pretty cool. I'm absolutely floored it passed the administration.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Stickman posted:

No, payments and interest are automatically suspended through September, and you’ll still accrue credit towards forgiveness is you’re in an eligible program.

In this instance they weren’t total poo poo - they threw a bone to the plebs paying their ridiculous “lol you tried to turn yourself into a specialized of worker” tax.

I'm still having a hard time believing they're throwing us a bone after we've been hosed so hard by student loans. I'm just waiting for the big huge "SIIIIIIIKE, pay tf up loser, also your PSLF is now invalid".

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The new IBR applies to grad loans. It forgives all remaining loan balance once the loan is 20 years old. Everyone with private school loans gets a one-time flat $10k blanket credit

The public service loan forgiveness works like this:

- You get up to $50k in credit ($10k per year for up to 5 years) for working in a qualified job at any point before the new program kicks in. You don't have to currently be working at one.
- You get another $10k per year for working in a qualifying job.

Those don't have to be consecutive years working there. You can work for one year and get the 10k.

The 50% forgiveness for 5 years and 100% forgiveness for 10 years require working at a public sector/public service/non-profit job.

I don't suppose that's retroactive, is it. I'd love nothing more than to get out of this job but I've been sticking with it because I've been banking hopelessly on PSLF even though less than 1% of applicants actually get it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Prairie Bus posted:

Those numbers, while outrageous and frankly reprehensible, probably aren’t representative for your situation. PSLF was very poorly run from its inception until something like 2014, when they finally standardized it. So in 2017, a bunch of people who were told, “Just keep making payments and come back in ten years,” found out they didn’t have the right kind of loans, weren’t on the right kind of repayment plan, or that their employer wasn’t eligible.

Since 2014, the administration of the program has standardized and improved. I’ve been paying on my loans for PSLF and I’ve got to reverify frequently, with a special federal servicer that updates me on how many months of PSLF payments I have. It sounded like you’ve been paying for less than five years, so if you’ve started the program you should’ve been funneled to the right place.

But sure, who knows what capricious admin will be in place in 2025.

I've been on PSLF for a bit over four years, yeah. Got loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized) with FedLoan, AES, and Navient (obligatory "gently caress you, Navient"), and as far as I know they're all eligible?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Honest question: how are all these multi-billion dollar companies straight up dying after 3-4 weeks of inactivity? You'd think they'd be a bit more resilient than that.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

FizFashizzle posted:

Because all these companies are run as lean as possible, with as little cash reserves as possible, to A,) dissuade hostile takeovers and B.) make that stock number go up baby! cash reserves aint raising that stock price!

Oh so it's greed then. Don't wanna say "then you had it coming", but...

Hmm. I wonder if this happening will change the way businesses are run in the futu-- hahaha right. The grabbing hands will always grab what and when they can.

Like... any reasonable person who isn't already living from paycheck to paycheck knows it's a good idea to keep some savings in case of emergency. Hell, my apartment complex expects you to have a few months of rent pay in stock in case you lose your income. And if a person fails to do that they're labeled foolish and "bad with money" . I'd have thought businesses would have been run with emergencies in mind too.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 11, 2020

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Jesus. You first, motherfucker.

Y'ever realize the only people who care more about ~*~the economy~*~ than people are the ones that rely on the people to fill their wallets? Funny, that.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

thank god i have direct deposit

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Xombie posted:

Did you owe taxes last year too? We owed this year but not last year and I got my DD today.

I owed last year and I owe this year and have not paid/finished filing. Does this mean I won't get it? :/

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Oh Snapple! posted:

Really hoping "Can't determine eligibility" is it not working.

Doctor Butts posted:

Check the website. I owed last year and that meant, for some reason, that they didn't have my direct deposit information even though I had money deposited from the 2018 return before that.

In my case, I just had to enter my Direct Deposit information.

quote:

Payment Status Not Available
According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.

For more information on the eligibility rules, see our Frequently Asked Questions page.

It's not even letting me give any additional information.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Butts posted:

Sorry. How long ago did you submit your 2019 return and was it done electronically?

I'm not sure I can really help but it may just be a timing.

I haven't submitted my 2019 return yet because I owe and hell if I'm letting them have my money until absolutely necessary.

I did submit my 2018 return last year though. I have never not submitted electronically, and I have the documents to back it up.

I just can't help but feel like I'm getting screwed here.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, I did.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

LorneReams posted:

So that second amendment helped your protest...how?

he's saying that because he's not able to protest the way he wants, he has the right to kill people

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Panaflex posted:

My tax accountant filed our 2019 a month ago to ensure we get the stimulus because we wouldn't qualify for it based on our 2018 return and do for 2019. Even though we owe for 2019 he told me the payment isn't due until July 15th which is good because I plan to use the stimulus to pay part of what we owe.

He also emailed us this morning and said he entered our DD into the IRS system this morning since he filed without including since we were going to owe.

I mean, nothing's really changed in my life or income since last year (and I owe roughly the same as I did last year)-- and I make far less than $75k a year. I received a State refund last year and that came through DD, and I'm looking at my 2018 return and my DD info is on there, and yet...

I don't have a tax accountant. Not quite sure what to do here.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Panaflex posted:

There is a US income tax megathread at the top of the Business,Finance,Career subforum. Maybe post your question there and see what they say. (The OP of that thread has been our tax guy for 10 years)

Will do, thank you.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Submit your return but don’t pay. The fees for late filing are way way more than the fees and interest on the late payment. You can get away with not paying for a few years and only have a bit of extra money to pay but those filing fees add up real quick.

I ended up filing and submitted the pay anyway today. Figured I may as well do it now while I get a bit of a state return to soften the blow than wait until July and have to pay the whole amount all at once.

The income tax thread I was redirected to told me that because I didn't get a federal refund for the past 2 years, however, they might not have my direct deposit info (even though I used my acct number and routing number to SEND the money to them to begin with), so I should probably expect a paper check instead.

:suicide:

Did anyone else owe federal for the past 2 years, not send any additional info to the IRS, and still get their direct deposit stimulus check?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Wally Joyner posted:

Also if your eligibility is not determined, like ours is, then you don’t get the option to enter bank info.

That's where I am at. loving wonderful. Everyone's been telling me to use that site and I am, it just isn't letting me do anything.

So what does that mean for us?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Koalas March posted:

Also apparently if you went to the IRS website and it says it couldn't determine your eligibility, according to a Verge article, you're probably just ineligible.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/15/21222749/irs-coronavirus-get-my-payment-portal-payment-status-not-available-stimulus-explanation

please don't make me panic any more about this than i already am

I meet every standard they demand for eligibility, I don't understand what the gently caress is going on.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
He's desperate to have the highest kill count of all the presidents.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Eminai posted:

Trump's loss is inevitable. Also, I must berate anyone that votes Green because they're going to give us four more years of Trump.

I do not know how anyone can remember 2016, and look upon the past 3 and a half years, and actually call his loss "inevitable". He was the candidate that Dems mired themselves in hubris over, thinking it was impossible that he'd win.

He can absolutely win again, unless some sort of switch flips in Biden's empty cranial cavity that makes him sound intelligent and attractive to voters. Because as it is, I'm not convinced he's able to do it, regardless of what polls say.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.wane.com/news/indiana/liberate-indiana-dozens-gather-at-governors-mansion-to-protest-virus-lockdown/

My state. :wtc:

Signs that say "better DEAD than RED" and misspelling "governor"...

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

DrNutt posted:

Oh yeah it's great, I'm on ng+ right now, just hadn't heard that little bit of flavor dialogue before. Highly recommend this game for anyone trapped inside and needing a good escape. But also you get to hear Barret call out neolibs and see oppressed underclass take up AKs and start screaming for the blood of fascists. It's pretty cathartic.

Jesus Christ I just passed another guy who said "not gonna make it into work for awhile, might as well drink" :stare:

Barret screaming at topside businessmen gives me life.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

he's a literal loving idiot child oh my god :wtc:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

My very republican mom showed me this and told me she agreed.

It's funny how cool republicans get with the concept of socialism when they finally take a step back and realize "oh wait, the taxes I pay went to corporations instead of us, this is something to be angry about".

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

"Women For Trump EMPOWER HOUR"

:psypop:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

*goes to lay in the victory position in a pool of bleach*

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He’s not the first Republican to compare these protests to Rosa Parks.

One loving month of rather lightly enforced quarantine and these fuckers wanna act like it's the same as countless generations of racism, sexism, and discrimination.

Dear god I hate republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

where's my part of society where I am safe at home but still working from home and doing my best to keep my head above water because I am being paid less than usual right now but still expected to get by because I'm still employed and can't collect more than I make in 2 weeks per week via unemployment benefits?

how much will capitalism have to collapse before we just get a ubi and things improve drastically?