Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You get a cybertruck so your keyboard matches. Duh.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

What would be the best equivalent for a 2019 bolt (small/hatchback)? I like my car just fine but the whole fire battery thing makes me feel like I should try for either an MRSP swap or a buyback. Ideally I'd like a 360 camera and adaptive cruise control. Oh yeah and I'm in the USA so the id.3 isn't an option.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the kona and niro are essentially small hatchbacks with CUV styling

Yeah I'd consider those or just a new Bolt. I'm probably going to try for a new Bolt as I suspect an MRSP swap is easier than a buyback. Alternatively I'm lazy and am very likely to just say gently caress it and wait for them to fix the battery.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

How much long range traveling do you do? All of the suggested ones have double the speed fast charging capabilities of the bolt. The bolt's 50kw DCFC capabilities are really it's main downside, aside from, you know, the fire thing.

None, so not a concern. It's good to know though.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh, something you might want to consider as well, if you're a costco member, is they have an additional 1-3k off the Bolt EV on top of other manufacture and dealer deals.

https://www.costcoauto.com/save/

I bought my (hyundai Ionic) car through the costco program and the utter lack of haggling made it so much more of an enjoyable experience.

I saw that but it ends soon and I'm not sure you can get deals when doing an MSRP swap. I'm waiting to see if someone in my state is successful before I call.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Checked out the EUV today. Was pretty dang neat if only to see it in person

Kinda had a “…..huh….” moment with the lights which are actually in the bottom of the front and back of the car and what you think are lights are just the running lights? Felt smaller than what I thought it’d but at the same time there was a Bolt EV right next to it and honestly I couldn’t bloody tell the difference outside of some trim differences. Inside was ok, nothing too crazy. This had the super cruise / bigger screen option which looked good. No frunk either c’mon thats like a cool reason for an EV! Kinda swamped with meetings tomorrow but I might try to get a proper test ride in then or Thursday.

That said, we talked battery and charging and… I think I’ll pass. Napkin math tells me this will be sufficient like 95% of the time for my commute and like almost all my driving needs but I just know I’ll end up getting dragged on an actual longish trip and end up hating the (relatively) slower max charge to what else is out there. Good color but that sick looking orange some of the older Bolts/Volts had was way better and it’s no longer an option? Messed up. Dealer didn’t seem too excited about it and didn’t sound like there was any big push to get more of these out the door so who knows how long these will be available. They just happened to end up with a few ones to sell but c’mon Ohio get your poo poo together.

EDIT: lmao Doug loving loves saying EEE YOU VEE and he also talks about the light design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjetooD0z4A

Shock green/yellow is the only acceptable Bolt color.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

2019, 2,634 miles Shock green, premier trim. Some sort of tear slinging grease into my tire (tire guy mentioned it and I don't remember exactly what he said and am too lazy to grab my phone and check what I wrote down) , and some bumper damage from a garbage bin that totally snuck up on me. Let's start the bidding at 30k.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Guido Merkens posted:

2,634 mi in 2+ years? :psyduck:

Yeah I'm a loser who stays at home most of the time with 4 others who own cars, so yeah mine doesn't see much use. I really shouldn't own it but it's not like that money would be better used.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 25, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Jimong5 posted:

Even "appliance" EVs like the Volt/Bolt have pretty good punch overtaking at highway speeds because they don't have to worry about a downshift.

Absolutely. Like it's fine if you find high acceleration fun, most people seem to but let's not pretend after a certain point it's still a safety feature. People don't need Tesla acceleration.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

How many garages don't ever get freezing cold or blisteringly hot?

Insulation is kind of super rad.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

I actually looked up what GM is saying to do while people wait for their vehicle to get its battery replaced and like the most restrictive thing is that people should park theirs outside and don't charge it indoors overnight, otherwise their recommendations are just ordinary stuff everyone with an EV should already be doing. Like "set your charge limit to 90%" "charge frequently" "don't deep discharge the battery". They are not saying people should avoid driving it at all, seems like you can use it pretty much normally. I think someone wanting to return the car because GM is eventually going to give them a free new battery is being unreasonable.

I think having your customers be unable to use the car as sold for however long it takes to replace battery modules is unreasonable. Especially considering how GM feels like they've dragged their heels on the whole battery module replacement thing.

I also think anyone defending GM here can gently caress off with that anti consumer crap. Don't build garbage (yes I know mistakes happen, but batteries catching fire is one that shouldn't) don't try to cut corners with your fix to save money and don't jerk people around with state by state MRSP swaps/buy backs. I have no idea if I'd have any luck trying to get a buyback/msrp swap and that's deliberate so I didn't even try. I don't need a fully functioning car, but others rely on it.

If a park my car outside and I get rodents or damage from trees etc. do you think GM will do anything? Did you know apparently the wiring has a coating that mice like (this might not be exactly right I don't remember the details I'm too lazy to look it up)? My last car had a mouse or maybe rat problem (probably because I left it outside the winter and rarely drove it) and ideally I'd like that to not happen with this one.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 12, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Shipping a car 1200 miles would be done by a car hauler / hot shot hauler. That's done pretty often with used cars. I see plenty of Carmax and Carvana mobile parking lots and I see EVs on them a few times, but I also see hot shot haulers carrying cars around and I know that's an option. I have no idea what the price is on a move like that, especially such a long one way trip with no guaranteed return trip or even a triangle trip.

-----------

talking about an Ioniq5

One thing that bugs me is that Hyundai/KIA could do so much better in the US EV market but it seems like they refuse to do so. H/K has plenty of fun paint colors but the EV options are just boring and basic. And don't get me going about the lack of supply. Even before Covid the BEVs were limited to compliance states and Georgia and the supply was limited to 5000 a year and I saw basically no advertising about them on TV compared to the Palisade/Telluride which I know is making bank for them.

H/K are doing the bare minimum effort in the US for the EVs and I am totally biased that I want the cars they sell in EU and Canada to be widely available in the US with dealer support to match. I want to drive a K6. I want to drive a K6 for 15k miles a year with a smile on my face, and be able to take it to a local dealership for service if anything goes wrong.

Also I want Ford to push harder to make the EV Explorer ready before 2026.

I say this as a Shock green/yellow Bolt owner: Americans do not want bright colors. I mean some do but there's a reason companies rarely offer anything interesting. You might be able to get a red or blue that's not too dark but otherwise it's just shades of grey, beige, white and black. https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/shopping/configurator?make=Chevrolet&model=Bolt%20EV&radius=250&zipCode=48362

blue tinted silver, white, black, grey, silver.
red, blue.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

cruft posted:

My battery is still hosed. It's a 2019, which everyone suspects will be the first wave of replacements.

I got mine replaced in December. You might want to try contacting a dealership.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You know where Muskchat goes pls.

Muskchat tends to get a blind eye in the terrible car stuff thread if you dont want to go to C-SPAM

No, gently caress that. This isn't the thread for an ethical capitalism debate, but a mention of Elon posting a pro Hitler meme? Yup it belongs here in the thread where people might be buying an electric car and want to be informed.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 19, 2022

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Don't let lovely politics limit your options. Not that I don't frequently wish Musk would shut the gently caress up, but ultimately you can't really buy anything or go anywhere without directly or indirectly supporting douche CEOs. The other automaker CEOs are also jerks, but they are quiet about it thanks to PR and marketing departments keeping their traps shut.

Now even if I agreed all sides are equally evil which I don't, having a company that knows not to post Nazi memes seems like a bare minimum bar of competency for a company that makes dangerous machines that people risk their lives in (or really any company.) I think this attitude is loving lazy and selfish and while this isn't the thread for this conversation I am sick of people trying to abdicate any moral responsibility as a consumer so they don't have to make any "sacrifice" (not buying/feeling slightly worse about buying the car they want, or game, or whatever).

Morality isn't just "politics". Like sure they are connected but you don't just get to say oh that's just politics and ignore it. I mean I guess you do because you did but whatever.

Whelp I'm a sucker for derails where everything is connected and I just have to let people know the proper way to think. I'll stop now.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 19, 2022

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

“a moderately quick Volvo ought to be enough for anybody”

Correct. Cars are dangerous tools and treating them as fun toys (which they absolutely can be) on public roads is varying degrees of irresponsible. Yeah bummer gotta go fast.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Which are that size because they're the width of two horses side by side.

Cars should be measured in horsewidth.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What on earth are you all going on about now....?

Derail's over, back to EV's please.

e-Bikes is totally fine. I'll test the 0-30kph of the e-MTB I'm on tomorrow but I do know it gets 82kms on trails per charge in the snow, weighs 28kgs and utterly refuses to go over 32kph even bombing downhill. That I'm still trying to work out why because that makes no sense.

Also a Mach-E is ..... kinda nice to ride in? Dont look too bad in the flesh either.

I'm going to bet the answer is ebike laws. It's weird though because I don't think I've heard of one having limits when you aren't using the motor.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bitprophet posted:

I feel quite lucky that the Polestar 2 ended up being my standout favorite anyways, because the other reason I pulled the trigger on one was Polestar's no price haggling and no dealer bullshit. Yea I'll have to interact briefly with a (well liked) local Volvo place for service and possibly payment (next month? ship it might be on just went through the Panama Canal :dance:), but there's not much they can do to jerk me around.

Relatedly: any of y'all who buy cars with "cash" - I was told personal check is fine, which seems real weird to me given how much money's involved. That seem legit? They really don't need a certified/cashier's check? I guess it's not like they can't just report the VIN/plates stolen if somebody tries to bounce a check & disappear :v:

I think it just depends on the dealer and how likely they feel that you're going screw them over. Mini dealer was fine with a personal check, Chevrolet was not. Which sucked because the wire transfer took longer than I had thought it would and was stuck wandering around the Chevrolet dealer.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

The average new car in the US is something like $47k now. It’s definitely a problem for the economy that most people would struggle to — or just can’t — afford that, and it’s a problem for EVs that they trend above that average in most cases. That doesn’t mean that $42-50k is particularly crazy for a new car, EV or not.

SUVs were 50+% higher in price than the average new car when they started to become popular. I think that things will eventually level out, assuming we don’t devolve into a Mad Max-style warband society before then.

Let them eat chili dogs.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

cruft posted:

Just be sure whatever you buy is painted blue, op.

Wrong. https://www.google.com/search?q=bol...h=1266&dpr=1.13

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Elviscat posted:

That's a really cool blue, Bolt needs an exciting color like that to look good, just looks like an extra-ugly economy car.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bol...h=1140&dpr=1.25

Nothing else counts as exciting.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

Sure? But take this energy and put it towards trucks that weigh 4 tons dropping kids off at school. I’m less worried about a nerd in a Tesla then a suburban mom/dad on their phone in some tank.

They both suck. Every once in awhile I look at a new EV and go "hmmm I hope this isn't bigger than my bolt" and low and behold they are. Always. The Bolt isn't even that small. It's not that there aren't legitimate reasons to need a bigger car, it's just it's very hard to convince me you need that big rear end pickup. Then you have lovely companies like "oh people don't want smaller cars" yeah you fuckers you've spent a gently caress ton of money convincing men that it's "manly" to own a huge truck that they do not need.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

No, in North America only Tesla superchargers are decently reliable. The EA network is generally treated precisely like what it is: VW paying a one and done fine for dieselgate. Really all the CCS networks in the US are iffy at best, it isn't too hard to find a working charger on one if you are in a dense enough area (like California) but none of them are particularly good on maintenance. It is why I think Tesla still has a small chance to make NACS the universal standard in North America, if there are superchargers everywhere that support any vehicle with a NACS port, then the standard could beat CCS just because superchargers actually work more than 50% of the time.

I think HD DVDs have a small chance to be the North American standard.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I'd like automation to exist but the barrier is going to be "way better than self driving also it has to work with people self driving and no we won't be increasing our infrastructure costs by changing anything ". Which while understandable does make things harder.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I’m winning it and then I’m gonna do an engine swap with my Tesla.

THEY AREN'T ENGINES THEY'RE MOTORS. Pretty sure I'm right on this.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I expect my car to be decently built, and the face of the company to not post transphobic poo poo on twitter. A high bar I suppose but I'm sure I can find some companies that clear it.

I saw a mini today in Zesty Yellow and was disappointed to find out that they don't make the electric one in that color. Now I was unlikely to buy it but I totally would have tried to talk myself into it (only to be like ehhhh that range isn't going to be great in the winter).

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 14, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Teslas are cheap sports cars with technology for people who probably shouldn't be driving something with so much power.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Throwing EV battery platforms into lakes and oceans or burning them in bonfires and partying might be more apt.

Which I assume we all do right? Like those parties are epic. Epic to the max.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

What people care about is that the number being marketed to them is bigger then what other people have, and absolutely is bigger than there imagined worse case needs. Do they need it? No. Will they miss it? No. Do they get convinced that they need it? Absolutely. It doesn't really even matter what it is; range, acceleration, pixel density, frame rate, polling rate, whatever.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Aptera is rad. The solar panels on it are pretty dumb.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Elviscat posted:

The Aptera is the worst possible compromise between a motorcycle and a car, the battery is twice the size of that Energica motorcycle, poorly protected by a composite frame with almost no crash protection, low visibility but it won't have the extra training requirements for a motorcycle (or more likely it will in states that require such things, but it will be 100% unenforced, especially since only wealthy white people will drive them).

But it also won't actually be produced, since they're begging for $50M and 12 months before they "start production" on the "launch edition".

Sure but it's still rad. We should probably stop making huge vehicles that people don't need and make smaller efficient vehicles instead. That of course isn't going to happen. Less vehicles by improving rail would probably be a good idea too.

Anyway I got a recall for my bolt, I think that makes it the third one. First one battery, second one software issue or something, third one something about the seatbelt tensioner causing fire in some crashes

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 24, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Elviscat posted:

It's called a hatchback, you have one, it costs the same as Aptera says (lol) their entry model will for the same range, it has usable space, four wheels, the possibility of you and your passengers surviving a low speed collision, everything you could want!

I'm not a fan of everyone in the US driving half tons as their daily for some horrible reason, and I'd love to see more public transit, but in the meantime the answer is small cars, not gussied up scooters.

Gussy up scooter sounds neat. Shame about all the people who think they need a huge vehicle.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 24, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Did someone say something about a tesla in snow? I know about teslas in snow:

In all seriousness, it handles significantly better than my parents nissan altima front wheel drive if you drive them back to back, but I think that might have a little to do with the tesla being on actual pirelli snow tires vs some goodyear all seasons on the altima that I am extremely unimpressed by. However even the first winter when I only had the standard michelin all seasons the tesla still felt like it had a lot more grip/turning/braking authority than the altima does. When shuffling vehicles around to make room for snow removal at low speeds like navigating the driveway or moving to a different parking space, the tesla just works and moves through several inches of snow almost like there isn't any there at all while the altima is spinning its wheels enough that it feels dangerously close to getting stuck.

Honestly the most frequent annoyance with the model 3 in winter is how often the doors/windows get frozen shut which makes it so much more of a pain just to get in to it. Once you are in it, then it is totally fine or maybe even a little too good since it will easily get moving through snowy conditions bad enough that one straight up shouldn't even be out driving in them in the first place.

My favorite winter Tesla story is when my brother's passenger window shattered when he closed the drivers door. Wait no him being charged for it when it was definitely in warranty is the best part.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Like a $5-8k 100 mile EV sounds reasonable. But anything over that cost for that range is laughable.

There's more to cars than a big battery. It isn't laughable.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EVS ARE DUMB TOYS FOR SOY CUCKS UNTIL THEY HAVE 500 RANGE, GO 0-60 IN 3.5 SECONDS, CAN PULL 3 ELEPHANTS , IN THE WINTER AND GIVE ME A BLOWJOB. I think smaller efficient evs are a good thing and people should be more open to buying them.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kirios posted:

Are y'all not realizing the MX-30 is 35k or something? Yes a smaller cheaper EV would be fantastic to have. There's nothing even in the sub 25k range, let alone sub 20k. You could easily justify 100 mile range in those brackets.

This thing is a travesty, and no it's not just a compliance thing. They are selling it at least around the US now. My local Mazda dealer has two of the 2023s (with a 5k markup. I guess they're hoping there's at least two Russian Bears around here to buy them?) right now.

Even the 0-60 is a freaking joke.

I think what you're not realizing is people aren't necessarily talking about the mx-30. I am fine with a hypothetical car that's nice enough being 100 range, and 35k as there's more to a car than having a big battery.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

“100 mile grocery getter” is $10k territory unless it literally does drive itself

1. It's 2023 so lol at 10k. 2. Some people live in places dense enough that they can get to many places besides a grocery store within 50 miles one way. Winter+ battery degradation let's say 25. 25 isn't great but not everywhere has cold winters.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Don’t care, for a car that incapable that’s what I’d pay for what it actually does

Well no product can survive being unappealing to Timy Timbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yes exactly. I don’t know why anyone would argue on Mazda’s behalf for this, even they knew this thing was unmarketable.

I'm pretty sure no one here is, they are talking in generalities and not about the specific car that was mentioned.