Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

bravesword posted:

Lindsay Ellis has a Jurassic Park retrospective on Nebula.

why did she quit making videos for youtube but still making videos for nebula?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Baller Ina posted:

This just reminds me of some YouTuber doing a video on the McElroy brothers titles like the rise and fall or something with a glum face on the thumbnail

Raw clickbait

funny you mention, this cause that video was made by Sarah Z, and the YTer who made the AVGN video is her editor/friend.

Mr.Radar posted:

Oz Media put out a new video about iilluminaugtii and how she's trying to foreclose on his house which she can do because of some super-shady legal documents she manipulated him into signing while they were dating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IZumS6KxZI

Jfc she is the biggest scumbag imaginable.

i was somewhat surprised to see her getting so many reaction videos from all kinds of youtubers from basically all political stripes cause i had only discovered her a few months ago. but apparently her channel was way bigger and older than i thought.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Genthil posted:

TeamFourStar uploaded all DBZA clips that were made for Totally Not Mark's review of the Buu saga, which is perhaps the closest thing we're ever gonna get for a full abridged series of said saga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpszGl2cl_k&t=55s

Also here's the review in two parts. Haven't watched it myself yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJizHx9G3uQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju2W0Snbm8Y

while i'm happy we got something instead of nothing, i'm still confused why tfs decided to quit at the buu saga. i mean, i heard toei was constantly up their rear end and got their channel shut down multiple times, and okay that's fair they don't want to deal with their repeated bullshit.

.......buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, they didn't stop doing dbz parody work after that. they decided to continue doing so only with original, 3d animated versions. to quote marge simpson: 'isn't that even MORE illegal than what you were doing before?"?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

okay but that doesn't explain why they're still making original videos based on dbz characters

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sydin posted:

I was specifically talking about the conga line of useless powerups, which to be fair is pretty much just how Z rolls. All the humans training for the Saiyans to arrive so Napa can clown on them, Gohan and Krillin getting their power bullshitted up by Guru so they can almost lose a 2v1 against loving Guldo, etc. Special shout out to Piccolo who has two fusions, both of which don't even allow him to win one fight: after Nail he sorta puts up a fight against Frieza's second form then jobs to the third, and after Kami he fights Cell to a stalemate, fights 17 to a stalemate, then gets owned by Cell and proceeds to be completely irrelevant power-levels wise for the entire rest of the series (maybe it gets better in Super for him, idk I haven't watch it besides BoG.)

agreed with all this except for the saiyan saga. there weren't really any bullshit powerups there at least (well unless you count goku pulling off a kai-o-ken x4 when his body was already thrashed from using kai-o-ken x3 twice)

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'm no Buu Saga hater but man it really has that constant feeling of "cool another awesome powerup....oh, that failed...cool another awesome powerup....oh, that failed...another awesome powerup that...fails...oh look Goku wins again, woo."

Also I'm still coming to grips with the fact that Mr. Satan seems to be the commonly accepted name in English nowadays. RIP Hercule.

In addition to all that, here's a possible hot take: I might be one of the few people who thought the Vegeta sacrifice scene was actually really stupid, and have always thought so. don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with the idea of having a scene where Vegeta sacrifices himself, demonstrating how much he's grown and changed throughout the series and all that stuff. what I took great issue with however, was that Vegeta decides to sacrifice himself at that particular moment and who he does it against.

Vegeta kills himself to take down this big, fat, stupid rubber demon thing that has the mind of a child that he otherwise has absolutely no connection to. Vegeta has known Buu for all of five minutes, four of which he spent getting his rear end kicked by him. yes we know that buu is extremely dangerous and a significant threat. but he just woke up and technically he hasn't even done anything evil yet. there's absolutely no emotional weight to this scene otherwise. it's not like if he fought Frieza or Cell or hell even somebody like 18, even she would have provided Vegeta more of a personal connection. But buu does absolutely none of these things and given how genuinely stupid of a character he is, at least in his initial form it further detracts from the seriousness of the scene and takes away much of its impact. Vegeta sacrificing himself maybe in the final fight with Kid Buu that would have worked a lot better as by this point buu had killed everybody on the planet including Vegeta's family and thus he would have far more of a reason to be willing to sacrifice himself to defeat him.

with that being said I still prefer the Buu saga over the cell Saga :shrug:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Gohan's unequaled potential has been a big idea since the very start of Z/Part 2/whatever. Having it finally drawn out, absolutely all of it, and then, uh-oh , he's utterly irrelevant and now it's up to Goku and Vegeta and then just Goku to save the day - save the day with a technique which has never, ever worked - was some unbelievably bad writing.

It also doesn't help that it doesn't make sense either. even if you want to ague that Goten and Trunks individually plus Piccolo have negligible power, just having buu and ultimate Gohan alone would make them stronger than Goku and Vegeta. at best Goku might be slightly stronger than buu, but Gohan was way stronger than Vegeta. and yet vegetto easily manhandled boo without any difficulty whatsoever.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

My issue with the redemptive sacrifice thing is that I don't think it works for undoing something you, yourself, caused just a moment ago. Buu's release is entirely Vegeta's fault. He was warned explicitly this would happen and brushed it all off for the sake of, as we all know, "PRIDE!" So...am I supposed to feel a deep emotional response to Vegeta trying to undo the great evil he himself knowingly and willingly unleashed five minutes ago?

The attack on Cell for Trunks' sake is, I think, a much better example of the same basic idea. Vegeta has been impossibly selfish all season but, when confronted with the reality of his son's death, he finally recognizes what a terrible, terrible person he has ben and tries to make some small kind of amends. Buu Saga Vegeta is supposed to be long on the path of redemption by now. His working with Babidi is not for "evil" motives, just...petty ones, except, given Goku complying with all of it, we are apparently supposed to think they are understandably petty motives. Either way, Buu's release is all his fault and so killing himself to undo what he caused an episode or chapter ago doesn't really work for me compared to his attack on Cell.

yes! this is a great point too. the lead up to that moment is also very badly done as well. and yeah totally agreed on the trunks during cell saga thing too. if felt like a way more of an earned emotional moment than almost anything in the buu saga.

also, it needs to be asked: why the hell DID vegeta sacrifice his life in the first place? again, buu had just been released. all he did up until he fights vegeta was knock out gohan, the supreme kai and kill dabura. nobody was in imminent danger. did vegeta run out of attacks? yes., but SO WHAT? why didn't he just leave so he could regroup with the others and find another plan of attack. don't give me the 'bububu prid' excuse. it's not like vegeta hasn't done tactical retreats multiple times in the past already.

honestly, basically every story beat in the buu saga just feels like toriyama had a bunch of random seemingly cool individual ideas that he just sort of strung together without giving much thought to how they would work thematically or not.

edit: and hell, since we're on the subject, i gotta ask.....is kid buu actually stronger than fat buu* and super buu? they never really made that clear. i know kid buu has the quickest regenerative abilitiy but his power level was always a question mark.

* talking about fat buu from the beginning, not the one that he spit out, which was obviously weaker

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 19, 2023

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

I'm amazed that she's still churning out videos after all this. Dead quiet on twitter since the end of May but last video two days ago and still churning out multiple videos a week.

Skippy McPants posted:

Going radio silent while continuing to produce videos is a pretty time-tested way for content creators to weather scandal. Look at JonTron, still around, churning out videos and sitting at like 6.5 million subs.

checked out her channel again just to see how she's doing and holy poo poo her views absolutely cratered since the scandal(s?) was revealed. she used to easily top 300k + views per video, and now they're in the low to mid 5 figures. and to top it off, practically every single comment on her videos are just making GBS threads on her relentlessly

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

Talking bout illuminowhoosits? Yeah, there is a freaking cliff in the views.

oh sorry yeah it was about illuminaughti

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

Ro Ramdin decided to roast and and rebut Jordan Peterson's youtube shorts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ObDp6QGN_w

sweet just what i needed!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

That's him. Kicked out of his team because he posted racist stuff and would shout homophobic things at gay players, as I remember.

i thought that was trainwrecks?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

TheFlyingLlama posted:

no, trainwrecks wasn't a pro player, he just got banned from twitch for saying women who play DPS were throwing and should just play healer instead

ah gotcha

RatHat posted:

Oh I’m sure there are more than a few e-sports streamers that got kicked out of teams for being too racist/homophobic

yeah it occurred to me that "former twitch streamer that got banned for being racist/homophobic/misogynist/etc. and now has a deal with Kick to promote gambling" is something that needs to be narrowed down a bit

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I like that I am constantly finding new apparently massive channels that I never knew existed. I recently got recommended a video from a channel with over 6 million subscribers that I had never heard of, that sort of thing.

my reaction to whenever i find a large yt channel that i never heard of is always "where the hell did this come from??". it's a bad habit, one that i have to get out of, but as someone who spends an incredibly unhealthy amount of time on yt, i figure i would at least be aware of all the million+ subscriber channels by now. it was the same with (albeit much, MUCH shittier) channels like Valuetainment, Whatever Podcast, and Fresh and Fit. They just showed up in my feed one day completely out of the blue, and then i start seeing poo poo from them ALL THE TIME now. and what's extra crazy is that i'm not even talking about this being the fault of the yt algorithm. i mean, yes, it definitely plays a role, but i mean i start seeing everyone talk about these clowns, whether on yt, twitter, tiktok. it doesn' t matter, they're EVERYWHERE now!

but yeah, cinema therapy is great. i highly recommend watching the mega mind video

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Z05Ik5r2U
Drew spends too much money on something stupid.

case in point, this channel right here too

nine-gear crow posted:

For what it's worth, I think everyone still posting in this terrible thread has gone through that exact process of their favourite YouTuber milkshake ducking themself at one point or another. For example, a lot of people were similarly betrayed by Brad Jones turning out to be a cocksmear, etc. I do t think this thread is entirely lacking in empathy.

But like holy poo poo Shad Brooks is just like a next level rear end in a top hat in comparison to all that.

wait, brad jones? cinema snob brad jones? ah poo poo, what did he do? :smith:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

When it came out that Channel Awesome's leadership were abusing and exploiting their talent, and, among other things, straight up protected a known child molester in their midst, Brad was the one dude out of Channel Awesome's at that point close to 50 member talent pool who stuck by Doug, Rob and Mike Michaud and went "these are my guys, I stand with them". Even though it cost him basically all of his professional and personal friendships. Like there's a reason why people like Alison Pregler, Phelous, and Linkara just stopped collaborating with him cold turkey around May 2018...

well that's unfortunate to hear :smith:

Grassy Knowles posted:

If you haven’t heard of Drew Gooden before today your knowledge of big youtubers is nowhere near as expansive as you think

yes that was what i was saying!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

Tom Nicholas made a video about the growing cracks in Patreon's fascade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXyN3-gQwJw

so i picked a bad time to start a youtube channel eh :sweatdrop:

does he mention where people should go instead?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i have both a decent TV and sound system, but even if i had one of those fancy $50,000 home theater set ups,, i still would want to go to the actual theater. part of the fun of going to the theater is obviously wanting to see the movies, but a good part of it is the theater experience itself. it's fun to react with the audience when something funny or cool happens on-screen*. you can't replicate that experience at home. i understand sometimes you can deal with unruly people, but thankfully 99% of my theater trips have been perfectly fine

*back in the day when The Village came out, i went to see it with a friend of mine. we were all seemingly enjoying the movie throughout. the suspense and dread was building up nicely, everyone was at the edge of their seat, thing were just going well.

....at least, it was until the "the twist" was revealed, and holy poo poo, i am not exaggerating when i tell you that it seemed like literally EVERYONE in the theater audibly groaned in unison. there were a bunch of comments like "are you loving kidding me?"s and "what the hell was that?"s interspersed throughout. and when it became clear that everyone was saying what everyone else was thinking, the groans eventually erupted into laughter. it was incredible. i never experienced anything like that, before or since. i was so glad to see that we were all on the same page cause i was pissed.

the movie wound up sucking rear end, but it was all worth it for that reaction. it was awesome :unsmith:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 5, 2023

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Froghammer posted:

Death Battle's cool and interesting, but gently caress if I'm going to pay money for it

wait death battle was by rooster teeth?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SkeletonHero posted:

Conspicuously absent from the discussion is the animated magnum opus Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century, with the robot Watson.

woo! glad i didn't have to interfere. good work boys :hfive:

Nuns with Guns posted:

I still love the story about how that movie was originally going to be called "Basil of Baker Street" just like the book series it's based on, but Michael Eisner said that the movie title sucked, was "too English" and it should make the premise more obvious. So the name was adjusted to "The Great Mouse Detective" which all of the creative teams loving hated.

So someone sent this jokey memo around the animation studio:

what's 'color and music' supposed to be? fantasia?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

Cody shares his thoughts on the "why Hollywood is dying" question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ28knLt5Rs

good video but it seems like it's a shorter version of everything covered in the latest patrick willems episode

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

tired: tech bros reinventing trains
wired: tech bros reinventing bikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH0yyYHir10

:lmao: this thing is a hilariously awful idea on literally every single level

like, maybe if i squint real hard and provide the most generosity on the planet, MAYBE you could perhaps argue that this is a way for people to get around somewhere that's faster than walking but also gives you some level of exercise. but then there's also that stupid metal frame on top which forces you to be in what seems to be an incredibly uncomfortable AND far more unsafe position if you wind up crashing/bumping into something

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

tehslime posted:

Wendi is at least part Native American from what I understand. Dumb reason to cancel him, IMHO. He is mired in other controversy though, and a lot of his die-hard fans are like /k/ board “redpilled” conservative types. Mr Metokur is apparently a huge fan and has expressed his appreciation on Poast (he’s been kicked off Twitter like 15 times, lol, he finally just gave up I think).

metakour's dead isn't he?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s unclear whether he really was sick or if he just said that to dump the identity and go back to being totally anonymous. He’s had like three other names prior to that one.

Archer666 posted:

Metakur's still kicking, last I heard his body was riddled with cancer and he suffered a heart attack but is still managing to stay alive past what doctors expected him to. He doesn't do videos or streams anymore cause of that.

huh. from what i heard he kicked the bucket, but it was also mentioned by one of his gamergate "friends" so they could have been lying/exaggerating/memeing/etc.

nine-gear crow posted:

That was one of the weirder Gamergate sidestories: learning what a massive gigachud Adam Baldwin was and how literally everyone hated working with him on Firefly because he really was just Jayne Cobb in real life, a massive toxic hostile piece of poo poo.

also that character he played on chuck. there was one (perhaps more?) episode where they showed him at his desk, where he has a framed picture of Reagan that i always remembered cause it was funny as the rightwing CIA caricature. but then years later he mentions in an interview (i think with Breitbart :barf: ) that it wasn't just a prop from the studio, but that he actually owned it and brought it from home :lol:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

mycot posted:

I thought the thing that killed Milo Y's relevance was when he defended relationships between adult men and underage boys, which digusted conservatives because it's gay, and disgusted everybody else because it's pedophilia. Truly next level repulsiveness to the point where literally no one will take you in.

yeah this is what led to him becoming persona non grata among conservatives. after that he tried going on debate panels with c-tier youtubers, then hit rock bottom with hawking pottery on some rightwing christian QVC channel. but then god somehow granted him one of the greatest failing upwards opportunity with getting in touch with kanye west, but then somehow blew it and wound up getting fired by him :lmao:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSFyLQVw7Ao
"There aren't even any bells in this track!"

wait... THAT'S what the exorcist theme was called all this time? :monocle:

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYfum3RdpuI
oh this is not too bad, there's one where a redditor was trying to fake a "missing" cassette tape as lost media but people found the youtube video of the original song which has the same recording issues in his sample

oh it's the lady who taught me what the hell frutiger aero was :unsmith:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I was the weirdo who liked Strange Matter over Goosebumps. I liked the first few Goosebumps when it was of course a bit silly but still took itself 'seriously' as children's horror, but I fell out of interest once it became full on camp.

the first couple of books were genuinely good for kids stuff imo. like, genuinely scary or at the very least, creepy. but yeah as the series went on it started doing weirder, less scary stuff. then you have the t.v. show, where the only good thing about it was kickass theme song. the show was pretty disappointing because even when it adapted the good books, they just did a really poor job translating it to a visual medium. the only exception being the Haunted Mask, and that one was an outlier because it was the only one that was aired on primetime and so they decided to put in significantly more effort into it than the average episode.

Are You Afraid of the Dark was always the superior show

quote:

Animorphs though, that was my real jam. And the world would be such a better place, unironically, if it and not Harry Potter had been the book millions of people inexplicably based their moral and political compasses on.

i first learned of the animorphs from the t.v. show on nickelodeon. didn't even know it was based off a book series until literal decades later. was the t.v. show any good?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mr. Lobe posted:

I vaguely remember being unsettled as a kid by a story where there's time travel, and if you go to the future, a robot teacher will put you in a metal box and disintegrate you if you mess up

there were a bunch that were unsettling:

be careful what you wish for: one of the mean girls bullying the protagonist wishes to be beautiful forever and turns into a statue
let's get invicible: the main character's bratty little brother gets permanently trapped in the mirror universe
say cheese and die: two bullies find the camera that the main characters were trying to get rid of cause it kills whoever it takes a picture of...and they both get their picture taken

poo poo was pretty messed up at times!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i totally believe R.L. stein had ghostwriters working on his books. there were like 60+ that were out when i was in like 5th grade. no way one human can write so many in such a short amount of time

SexyBlindfold posted:

i remember i watched goosebumps and are you afraid of the dark in equal measure but can't remember which was the good one

both shows got progressively worse the longer they went on, but the thing with goosebumps was that it was never good

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Arivia posted:

She should. Dude's rotting in hell where he belongs, no one needs to remember him.

what's wrong with total biscuit?

(should mention i only saw a few vids of his throughout the years)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Arivia posted:

dude sent me death threats and sicced his fans on me because i said there shouldn't be transphobia in a video game (pillars of eternity) at the height of gamergate. had people trying to get into my accounts for a year because of that poo poo.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Gamer gate adjacent, and had a heated gamer moment where he tweeted at someone wishing they die of cancer, arguably resulting in a reversal of fortune

....oh. i see. i recalled that he supported GG in the very beginning, but unlike every other GG'er, he seemed like he actually believed in the "ethics in games journalism" thing. at least, that's the impression i got when he was interviewed by David Pakman, and didn't mention anything about women, minorities or SJWs at the time. i thought he left that sphere once it became clear what GG was actually about

Garrand posted:

gamers are dead

captainamericaiknowthisreference.gif

Grassy Knowles posted:

#istandwithvic

yes, there were similar movements like comicsgate and animegate that tried to ride GG's coattails, but they only wound up with a fraction of the influence for some reason (thankfully).

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 26, 2023

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

tinaun posted:

Anyway Drew Gooden has good taste in bad movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykgTrodYaJc

surprised troll 2 wasn't on there

or maybe he wanted to pick some lesser known bad movies

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Mother's Basement's latest actually went up last night, but there was some copyright nonsense, back up now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVPPaWQ-l4s

never heard of this show, but that's a.. helluva premise. and the voice acting/dialogue is like the Scary Stories dub, but done unironically

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

isn't this guy a massive chud?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Assepoester posted:

The Escapist used to be owned by an idiot who thought the communists were using cultural marxism to take over videogames, now it is owned by VC techbros who want to replace writers with chatGPT

sounds like the same kinds of people tbh

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

I like 70s things, so I enjoyed the music and sets/costumes, but I much prefer hearing the guy drolly reading out a script. I can appreciate the ambition of what he’s doing here though, and that he got it just how he wants it. It reminds me of the Kyle Kallgren video that’s the entire story of Star Wars but with clips from movies that inspired things in Star Wars.

Mr E posted:

I can appreciate that EPCOT video as well made but it sure did a whole lot of nothing for me. Around halfway through it seemed to be acting like them having these issues was some tragedy and not just a business making a bunch of promises it had no idea how to actually meet without the two Disneys. Really felt more of a Disney PR video than his other videos, especially since he has specifically shown things like Walt strike breaking previously. Felt weird to see/hear quotes from Walt presented as aspirational and hopeful.

yeah, i'm not a religious watcher of defunctland but i enjoyed many of his previous videos. this one didn't really do anything for me. i appreciate the effort and insane production values that went into this, but i also agree i would have much preferred the dude just reading from a script like his other videos.

while it's not exactly the same thing and it's only one video, it sort of reminds me of how philosophy tube and contrapoints (as well as some others) decided to focus more on elaborate clothing and sets and such the more videos they continued to make. while their content was still good and informative for the most part, it felt like they were leaning more aggressively into the style over substance direction with each subsequent video

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

MrQueasy posted:

Also, (unrelatedly) the new Jack Saint is a fun ramble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5jEny6FhkU

good video. surprised critical drinker had a not-exactly-as-lovely-as-you'd-think take on that south park episode on wokeness. i mean, he flubs it at the end, but was generally on the right track. that episode, like almost every SP episode is typical "hey guys, both sides are equally bad :waycool: "that the show's been known for, for decades. there wasn't anything really out of the ordinary (except maybe cartmann apologizing i guess?)

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 30, 2023

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Alaois posted:

are you fuckers just not using the [video] tag out of spite

i didn't even know this existed... :monocle:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

okay, i know the main villain of the episode is somerton but can we take a minute to appreciate the chutzpah from internet historian for plagiarizing an entire article published by a major internet content company, while also using the exact same hook (an hour by hour playbook) from said article and not expecting anyone to notice?? :psyduck:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

All of them had a more frequent update schedule when they were starting out/smaller though (and the field was less crowded at the time too). I think their level of success allows them to work at their own pace and not be beholden to the whims of the algorithm, and that what they are capable of is essentially irrelevant to smaller creators.

None of that is a defence of plagiarism of course.

anyone know how much these guys make?

i know hbomb and shaun were making like $9k-$12k/mo. when their patreon was still public, and that was like 5 years ago

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

That's a long way short of Dan Olsen. Sad.

how much does he make?

Pants Donkey posted:

Various sources say ad revenue from a YouTube video with millions of views caps at around $30K, but it’s hard to say for sure as I imagine there are a ton of variables. Especially when you consider in-video advertising deals. Swell Entertainment actually does a fantastic video every year breaking down her YouTube revenue, and you can see how much those ad deals pay out. I imagine they pay even more to a larger channel like Somerton or IH.

they cap around $30k? are you sure? ali abdal has one video where it did under 5 million and he said that alone brought in over $200k from ad revenue

S.D. posted:

Gita Jackson (cofounder of Aftermath) claims Somerton made $170k/year on Patreon.

https://twitter.com/xoxogossipgita/status/1731437764523003915

holy poo poo... :stare:

and that's just from patreon donations. that doesn't include yt ad revenue, sponsorships, any possible software/courses that he might also had, etc.

i gotta get my channel up and running..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Happy Landfill posted:

I think that's the downside to becoming a big internet personality in the mid-aughts to early-2010's--you get so big at a time in your life when you're supposed to be starting a real career. Now the money has dried up and you find yourself with no real marketable skills. I think you saw the same thing with webcomic artists from that era-- Best case scenario you become Penny Arcade, where your real money comes from the insanely successful convention you started. Worst case scenario you're Megatokyo: years behind on a successful kickstarter that you haven't followed through on (partially for personal reasons beyond your control; other because you underestimated how difficult fulfilling a kickstarter project can be) and you're a decade-and-a-half outside the very real career you did have while the webcomic was a silly side project you did with a friend, and there's no way you can even attempt to try and slide back in to it with that big of a gap in your resume. I don't know, I don't really blame cinnemassacre for trying to cling to whatever brings in money, even if it is a ghost of what it once was.

the AVGN situation sorta puzzles me because - and i haven't been following his channel super closely so i could be way off - haven't his videos (at least, specifically the 'AVGN' ones) continued to be wildly popular? he's not like one of those yt channels that might have been popular at one point then fell off a cliff like boogie2929whatever. his most recent AVGN vid has over a million views. he had a successful gimmick that people didn't get tired of and was continuing to rake it in, as far as i can tell.