Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
just found out my boss (who's been making all his employees come in full-time since the pandemic started and also bullying them to work weekends if possible) is stripping our unused vacation time at the end of the year, no longer offering payouts for unused vacation, and only doing this because he reviewed state law to see if he could strip personal days/sick leave as well - he can't, but he's also under no obligation re: vacation

i think my christmas present to myself is going to be unemployment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i work at a textile lab and so with the PPE shortage it's been month after month of processing hundreds of lovely toilet-paper tier hospital gowns on top of our usual workload, and the boss in all his wisdom offered any PPE clients free rush testing indefinitely, resulting in a secondary flood of psychotically entitled middle managers blowing up the phones to get test results within the day, within the hour, within the next fifteen minutes

there was one guy the day before thanksgiving who called half a dozen times in a single fifteen-minute period! he did a different voice with every call so we wouldn't think it was him! we have caller id!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Looper posted:

is this also the kind of situation where any requests to use your remaining vacation time before the end of the year will be denied?

no, he's trying to keep it a big secret so anyone with time left is scrambling to get it used

i'm just in one of those situations where there's no one else to do my job (the last time i had someone to support me was in 2017) so i'm never able to take time off without being greeted with an avalanche of poo poo on my way back in, not like it's going to be relevant for much longer anyway

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kingdom hearts also suffers from some of the worst voice direction in big-budget rpg's. the script is bad but could still be tolerable if most of the actors didn't sound like they were reciting their lines without context, in a cellar, after a weeklong fast, at gunpoint

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the end's photosynthesis is because of [code talkerishly] parasites

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
fortnite yes, skyrim no, tlou lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LionArcher posted:

In terms of impact to the industry narratively (this game is as good or better than most movies)

longer, heartier lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tlou2 was great, it was so perfectly emblematic of everything rotten about AAA gaming

from the culture-war hurricane surrounding its release, to the developer coyly using its cultural progressiveness to drum up hype (reviewers being told to keep the trans character a secret), to the questionable implementation of said progressiveness (trans character exists as a totem of suffering for their identity), to the youtube icons bellowing up a storm because one of the female characters has muscles, to the incredible abuse of the developer's staff, to the director and voice actors locking arms and sneering at the journalists who pointed out said abuse, to the fans who think prestige-tv tapioca with hamfisted moral ambiguity is the loving pieta

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
undertale is still making ripples internationally, that concert in japan was a nice break from everything else this year

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

i do a lot of work involving cpsc, they're great

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

i was not expecting porygon vision

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I despised this goddamn thing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i was getting vague alarm bells in the last couple months of cyberpunk's PR where every new bit of info concerned some inane celebrity cameo or endorsement instead of how it plays

same kind of thing happened with RDR2 now that i think about it, but at least that game let me go on some lovely nature hikes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
so many of rdr2's problems could have been fixed by not making the cops omnipresent psychics

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

Cyberpunk thread already full of poo poo today. Jesus that place is loving stupid

quit whining here and get back into the trenches, nerd

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

did nintendo get a management change or something recently, they've been more pettily litigious than usual

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

I've friends in the industry that she's literally berated until they were sobbing on the floor but sure

oh, it's precision

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there aren't even any big-name releases with concrete launch dates left after cyberpunk, right

covid has cast a fog over everything

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Persona 5 Strikers in February, if that counts?

i'll allow it!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

Game chat friends, give me your chair recommendations. I need a new office chair for my desk and I have no idea how to parse the sea of them on Amazon.

the steelcase leap is one of the premium office chairs and the used one i've got has been a dream

still worth trying to find them used, they're expensive but also near-indestructible

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Convex posted:

:wtc:

Is anything like this in Witcher 3? Because I still intend to play through that one day and it seemed ok from the first few hours I tried.

not really, when Wild Hunt attempted contemporary "humor" it consisted of dadjoke-level gags about GOG or Monkey Island

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
even with a ps5 it's probably advisable to wait another six months or so if you don't want to wade through the buggy swamp

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Looper posted:

just finished yakuza kiwami 1 earlier and my thoughts on the final sequence are, in order:

kiwami 1 is the nadir because it's a very faithful recreation of a ps2 game made before yakuza either became a franchise or hit its stride writing-wise

playing 0 makes it even worse because it gives a lot of gravitas and menace to several characters who just go out with a wet pbbhht sound in kiwami

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i remember one of the earliest concerns of cp2077 was that it'd be a piece of speculative fiction that had long since been outpaced by reality, and that does appear to be the case

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
every loser, rear end in a top hat, crumbum, palooka, shithead, and moron within earshot raises their voices up high in defense of that stupid videogame

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

wuggles posted:

Heyyyy, bestie! (I don’t know if you’ve played Bugsnax)

when i first heard filbo i liked his voice right off and then found out later it was max mittelman again

that guy's shooting to the top of my favorite va's

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i typically don't care about spoilers but spiritfarer is one game where i wish i hadn't accidentally learned the real premise in advance

knowing that the game is yet another metaphorical dying dream blunts its bigger moments

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

This is one reason why I think Hellblade is awesome because it comes down strongly on the side of saying everything that Senua experienced on her journey WAS real, because it was real to her, and since you're in her head the entire time there's no competing vision of reality to show you what "actually" happened.

the other recent indie game that pulled this poo poo, jimmy and the pulsating mass, also worked because of a similarly solipsistic outlook - the characters populating that game were just caricatures of their "real" selves as viewed by a scared, sick little kid, and everything that happened in it was ultimately about giving him the nerve to move on. jimmy is at the center of everything that happens to him, with his allies and enemies alike fixating on him exclusively, because the game world exists for his benefit

this really doesn't work in spiritfarer because the passengers are very much the same individuals as they were in life, just portrayed as cuddly animal people, and dealing with their issues and struggles, rather than stella's, is the crux of the game. flipping that on its head last-minute to turn all of those characters into props for stella's own self-actualization just cheapens the entire premise

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I also get overwhelmed when thinking about that ending, or listening to the soundtrack at this point.

*plucks banjo existentially*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
all my boss fights in sekiro started out as a one-sided curbstomping to me and ended as a one-sided curbstomping by me, so it was tremendously gratifying that my final, final fight against Remnant Saint Isshin was a frantic grit-toothed exchange of blows right up to the bitter end

definitely caught myself thinking WHY! WON'T! YOU! DIE?! at a few points during my winning run

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

this guy don't miss

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Kirby butt avatar

kirbuttar

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Infinitum posted:

"Now see what you're meant to do is pickup 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish, but instead we're going to pick up 3 loaves and 1 fish. Now while standing on top of this wicker basket while we craft the miracle, we actually end up saving about 10 frames over crafting it the normal way, and in addition we also somehow end up with a feast that can feed 50,000,000 people instead; which saves us performing the same miracle again later during the boss rush as the feast is already in our inventory"

dotfivenine posted:

"Alright so typically we'd have to concieve a child the old fashioned way, but to keep thi sfw and to save frames, we're gonna clip into Mary and just trigger the pregnant flag"

Majuju posted:

"okay we're coming up on it, let's close the donation incentive, gonna need that word now."

"ooookay, the winner of the donation incentive, 'what curse to yell at the fig tree', with $3120 dollars, is 'MYDUDE'"

<polite clapping>

Evil Badman posted:

"poo poo, well, I missed the jump...so here's a three day unskippable cutscence. We have time for donations."

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

So I know most of you wouldn't do this on a casual playthrough, but since this is a speedrun we're absolutely just going to choose to shove our daughters out the door instead of the visitors

loquacius posted:

The Garden of Eden zone is just overloaded with exposition cutscenes and drawn-out tutorials, but we don't have time for that, so we're gonna just snatch one of these Knowledge fruits here. They're hard-coded so that our human characters can't touch them until we pass every single tutorial, but there's a loophole if we find one... specific... animal NPC... yep, there's our friend the snake. (CROWD: SNAAAAAAAAKE)

Kikas posted:

*muffled SpikeVetega in the distance* SNAKE HOIPE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i found out just recently about how you acquire the pickaxe in dark souls 2

what a strange, silly game that was

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Walla posted:

Started up Kentucky Route Zero and uh, this is a thing.

The basement of the gas station is a horse's body inhabited by ghosts playing D&D with a road map? The hell is this?

hark the voice of jesus calling

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Walla posted:

Act 1 was uh... The caves were caves, ok, except there's a stage where musicians played before they drilled too deep and flooded the place. And then the tv gets fixed and the barn is an illusion but the horses weren't? And something bad happened to Lysette's son?

serious question, are you familiar with magical realism at all

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Walla posted:

More or less, but this is my fun exposure in game form. I'm stopping at the interlude.

The ghosts who play D&D view an art exhibit? And Lula gets way too personal.

limits & demonstrations was the first thing cardboard computer actually released, and along with KR0's fixation on theatre and installation artwork it's sort of a preview as to how the game's world is structured. like the Pathologic games, it's operating on a couple different layers of reality at once, where the worlds of some characters and those of others aren't entirely congruent. the "ghosts" aren't ghosts per se, they just weren't sharing the same stage, or exhibit, as conway at that particular point in time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

I think I just had a peak 13 sentinels moment when I came into a scene thinking I was starting to get it all and then a couple minutes later I swear I can hear the game laugh at me about just how little I really know.

i thought i'd immunized myself to the game's constant "forget everything you know about [x]" routine by the 3/4's mark and then it slapped me across the loving chops again in the last thirty minutes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Is it “sci fi twist: the game” or is there a broader point to it

most visual novels like to throw in Big Revelations that totally re-contextualize the story, 13S just does a better job of it than most

in the end the story's an overcomplicated page-turner more than anything really profound but it does its thing with a lot of flair and skill, nearly all of the numerous threads it introduces are satisfyingly tied up by the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
at least they weren't ascendance holes