Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
"Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks" by Ilya Repin has been posted a few times in the thread, but I felt it needed something....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Someone mentioned Euromaidan before and I wanted to check who was Ukrainian president at the time... I found this little nugget of information about the Presidential Award...

quote:

Presidential awards

The distinction of "Honorary Weapon" is awarded by the president. The specific weapon is a 9-mm caliber Fort-21.02 pistol with 16 bullets. The body pistol is made of structural steel, with the handle is made of noble wood. The name of the awardee is engraved on the plate. This distinction was established in 1995 under the President Leonid Kuchma, who himself has awarded the most pistols, numbering at 85. From 1995 to 2018, the Presidents have issued honorary weapons to 152 persons. Since 2019, no one has been awarded an honorary weapon
Getting the feeling that's going to change....

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Hmmm... According to the NASA fire map there were zero fires in the Ukraine in the last 24 hours....

:hmmno:

I guess that might be weather conditions, or do you think they might be filtering it for some reason...?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/AdamKinzinger/status/1499129595525840896
:hmmyes:

Jordan7hm posted:

Some Russians displaying extraordinary courage even just speaking publicly right now.

Majorian posted:

He lives in the UK; he's gonna be fine.
It's off season for tourists in Salisbury at the moment.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

nurmie posted:

You never know when a bunch of GRU goons sports equipment salesmen will decide to visit the famous Salisbury cathedral to admire its tremendous spire again.
It's a hundred and twenty three meters tall did you know...?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

KitConstantine posted:

Odesa sea attack appears to be off the table for a few more days
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1499993801238396930?t=lHBv5zTQM85I7a8_X-rxTQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1499998074176950275?t=aP3DmrNhg8MdfOd0CXnUGg&s=19

I think the navy isn't as committed to Putin's war as he could hope
I use a weather site called Ventusky for long(ish) range forecasting of different weather metrics and it's generally pretty good... According to it's predictions looks like their best day is Monday with c. 7kmh off-shore wnds with wave heights of about a foot (as opposed to todays 25kmh winds and waves of c. 2 feet).

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=46.07;32.30;6&l=wind-10m&t=20220307/1200

The rest of the week until the Monday after seems similar to today.

(Note, not sure how timezones work in the posted URL. I'm in Melbourne Australia and I think the site is cookied to my timezone - in my browser anyway...)

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Sekenr posted:

Everybody gets confused by meteorites mention. What he meant was that they are sometimes asked to analyze a theoretically possible but unlikely scenarios (think alien invasion), so they kinda half rear end it in favour of real work. So when they were doing Ukraine war analysis they thought there will be no harm in making it pretty to please superiors and are now blamed that analysis sucks.
My impression was meteorites being a bad translation for nukes... but I could be wrong

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Xerxes17 posted:

lmao you're quoting from sputniknews you absolute deadshit.
I think that was the point... that Russia is mirroring the claim about Syrian fighters being used made brought up in this post

edited for clarity

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 7, 2022

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Hail the Greater Satan.... not that one that Ronnie talked about so many years ago, but the Greater one....

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Aw gently caress... THIS is why we can't have nice things....

:argh:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Cocaine Bear posted:

We will give you your track suits if every oligarch sends 3 pigeons or sparrows to Kiev.
:vince:

I'd just like to say that I appreciated this reference.

quote:

Olga [of Kyiv] answered that the murder of the messengers sent to Kiev, as well as the events of the feast night, had been enough for her. She then asked them for a small request: "Give me three pigeons...and three sparrows from each house." The Drevlians rejoiced at the prospect of the siege ending for so small a price, and did as she asked.

Olga then instructed her army to attach a piece of sulphur bound with small pieces of cloth to each bird. At nightfall, Olga told her soldiers to set the pieces aflame and release the birds. They returned to their nests within the city, which subsequently set the city ablaze. As the Primary Chronicle tells it: "There was not a house that was not consumed, and it was impossible to extinguish the flames, because all the houses caught fire at once." As the people fled the burning city, Olga ordered her soldiers to catch them, killing some of them and giving the others as slaves to her followers. She left the remnant to pay tribute.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
ftfy....

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

DTurtle posted:

Very interesting article about a battle two weeks ago. Note that battle took place in a town roughly 90 km northwest of Mykolaiv, outside of which the current Russian front line runs.

A mixture of locals, territorial defense units, and regular army stopped the Russian advance in that first week. The article has some details

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1504124755376549897
(quoted because of paywall)
I'm a couple of days behind and have been catching up with thread while I work from home... I had the earlier article someone posted from Bellingcat about chlorine use in Syria open as well as the article you posted... Given that, as well as the posts about the municipal pool in Mariupol' being also targeted I found this bit of the above article intriguing and uh... ominous.

quote:

The Russian assault began with missile strikes and shelling that hit central Voznesensk, destroying the municipal swimming pool and damaging high-rises.
Public pools are quite often chlorinated with chlorine gas (at least they are here in Australia). I'm wondering if this might be a way the Russians are trying to instigate a chemical attack against the population that they can then :airquote: plausibly :airquote: deny. Are there other reports of municipal or public pools being targeted in other centers?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hunter Biden is weaponizing Ukrainian bees!
Wait... was Hunter Biden in goonswarm too....?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
The date of the article and the mention of "Killer Bees" has me a little :hmmno:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

wet_goods posted:

Need a new thread title

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Nenonen posted:

Ukraine's coastal defense HQ earlier tonight:
https://youtu.be/i0xOSxgs6w8
https://translate.google.com.au/?hl...ey&op=translate

quote:

Moscow
But who really knows you
Who knows there's a fire burning
In you so hot
Cossacks hey hey hey raise your glasses (hey, hey)
:dogstare:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Dick Ripple posted:

How many sailors are usually on the Moskva?
Around 570 iirc...

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Risky Bisquick posted:

:nms: could be true? Looks like the right ship.

:siren: Moskva

Better crop...
:nms:
https://i.imgur.com/j2368aK.png

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 17, 2022

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Doccers posted:

Not only Odessa, but also Mykolaiv, where the Moskva was built!
... and where her sister-ship (brother-ship for Russian vessels...?) the Ukrayina is still currently moored unfinished...

Quite literally the Slava Ukrayina

https://www.google.com/maps/place/5...787425?hl=en-US

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Chalks posted:

More confirmation that the order from Putin not to storm Azovstal was either misdirection or is being ignored by the army:

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1518135228866473987

Adviser to the Office of President of Ukraine Podolyak posted:

(2/2) I suggest the Russian Federation to think about the remnants of reputation. This requires only three "Mariupol steps".
1. Declare a real Easter truce over Mariupol.
2. Immediately provide a rubber corridor for civilians.
3. Agree on a "special round of negotiations" so that we can pick up / exchange soldiers
edit: part 2 posted without comment.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 24, 2022

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Nenonen posted:

:aslol:

gum in "gumkoridor" is short for humanitarian (gumanitarskii), not rubber corridor...
Machine translation... sorry bout that.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
<=======

Hey... that hurts...!

Deteriorata posted:

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

(Very few webcams are active in Kyiv, probably due to OPSEC, so I'm going to start adding dawn pictures from elsewhere in Ukraine)

Coke plant, Kharkiv
I was hoping you'd been using webcams or up to date postings... thanks.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Posted hours ago....

KitConstantine posted:

Really good article in the New Yorker, ostesibly about the occupation of Melitopol but it touches on the whole southern occupied portion of Ukraine. Based on interviews with people who escaped Melitopol and the mayor who was kidnapped then released.

:snip:

It's long but I highly recommend reading it. It gives a picture of how the Russians are handling the occupation, and what kind of things they do even in cities that surrendered without a fight.

One gem:

quote:

...She had adopted a nickname for the armored vehicles that Russian soldiers drove around town, often with a big letter “Z”—the symbol of the Russian invasion—painted on the side: zalupa mashiny, or “dickhead mobiles.”
Well there it is... the revised meaning of the spray painted or chalked "Z" that we've been looking for.

Zalupa - "Dickhead"

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Humphreys posted:

RIP Vilerat. I can't remember if it was a dream or a memory, but I have the audio in my head him saying there's gunshots outside the room and went to investigate never to return.
It was text... He was in Illum channel on Jabber. Mittens released a transcript a couple of hours after I think.

I can't recall what he was going to do, whether it was go for a wander, or get back in touch on Jabber later, but I believe his last comms were something like "... thats if we don't all die tonight. A security guard has been spotted taking photos of the compound." And then a little while later just three words... "Oh poo poo, gunfire..."

Then he was gone.

e.f.b.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Alan Smithee posted:

can someone drop agent orange on this fucker already
The 45th president of the US has his own problems right now....

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It might be the “boil the frog strategy”. Announce 4 HIMARS systems shipped, sit out the Russian meltdown, quietly fly in another 40. What’s Russian going to melt down about then, that there’s more of the thing?

Edit:

Hot on the heels of this, Predator drones with Hellfire missiles for Ukraine.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/exclusive-us-plans-sell-armed-drones-ukraine-coming-days-sources-2022-06-01/
Article says it's the MQ-1C Gray Eagle variant which can carry 8 Stingers, 4 GBU-44/B Viper Strike Anti Armour Glide Bombs, or 4 Hellfires. Given the UK is sending a number of Brimstones which are a similar weight and developed from the Hellfire, I'm wondering what's the interchangeability between the two.

Also wondering if the ginsu variant of the hellfire might be on their wishlist. :stare:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
In the replies...
https://twitter.com/DecodingTrolls/status/1532655941652467713

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If majority russian areas that weren't historically russian as of the 15th century don't count as Russia I have bad news for North America

fake-edit: thread moving fast

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Certainly looks like something guided, but also the footage is all edited very precisely to make sure you can't see any incoming projectile/munition
At least one of those tanks looked like it was pretty well closed in - enough that it would need a very high arc trajectory (unless it was coming from a perfect direction) so I suspect at least one switchblade... maybe used in combination with artillery as a spotter drone before it was committed....?

edit: ...or maybe not.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

god please help me posted:

what the gently caress is going with the avatars in this thread
:shrug:
===
With the Predator Gray Eagle being confirmed (..ish) as going to be supplied, I was wondering if anyone had an answer about my previous question about them operating with Brimstones instead of Hellfires. Are they compatible?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Brimstones can be fired from Reapers (aka second generation Predators). Adjusting Grey Eagles to fire Brimstones might involve some modifications, but it seems like a solved problem. They're about the same weight as a Hellfire and everything is designed to use NATO rails.
Thanks...

:thumbsup:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Nenonen posted:

Wrt using old tanks, the situation is not dire when you see T-62's in Ukraine. The situation is DIRE when you start seeing the new T-14 Armata at the front! :blyat:
You fool... it's the T-62's which are pushing it around.

Fritz the Horse posted:

This thread has many European goons and plenty from Eastern Europe...
I think it was meant as just an FYI for those of us who don't speak the language and didn't realise that you could get a Twitter translation that way... though you're right. There's a lot of multi-lingual goons in thread.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Losses of DNR during this conflict according to info published by DNR ombudsman.

2057 dead
8526 wounded
10583 total losses of the above, that is ~50% of the pre-war DNR army (20k).
What is the second set of columns with the same sub-headings as the first set?
edit for clarity: the ones with 1.3, 6.4 and 7.7 as the data for the 24th Feb.

edit2: and what is the last column? [I think I worked it out - Dead to Wounded ratio...]

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 11, 2022

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Second column is just daily average for the week
Thanks
====
Talking with a friend about the grain thefts by Russia and he suggested that maybe they were doing it as a hedge against sanctions...
Sort of a "Oh... the west is experiencing shortages...? You know we have all this wheat in silos... Such a shame we can't sell it..."

Thoughts?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Having a visit from the AG seems odd to me, especially in light of the historical (bad) relationship between UA and the previous POTUS and his lackeys. Has any other AG or equivalent made a visit to Ukraine?

==

A couple of pages ago...

Kraftwerk posted:

What's the strategic value of Snake Island anyway?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, it’s just 35km away from the shore.
I've been wondering if it's not just the proximity to shore that has made it seem like such a valuable asset that RU is willing to waste what seems an inordinate amount of assets on it, but that it is also close to the mouth of the Danube. As a waterway the river extends almost all the way to France, and with the Rhine-Main canal offers a trade route from the North Sea across Europe to the Black Sea.

It's also the only access for water traffic from Moldova to reach the Black Sea and Mediterranean.

They certainly seem interested making the island a permanent asset.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Chill Monster posted:

Also I have no idea if China or India even manufactures soviet-compatible artillery, but maybe someone else does.
Looks like China use a variant of the 122mm so...

Hannibal Rex posted:

Some 2-3 weeks back, there was a separatist account that they were running out of 122mm ammo for the artillery pieces Russia gave them, as it's no longer producing shells for those. They had to be reequipped and retrained on old 152mm pieces from stockpiles.
:shrug:

I couldn't find anything definitive about the 152mm and nothing about India.

Edit:

KitConstantine posted:

Map time!
Today's article: https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-june-26

quote:

The Kremlin continues to manipulate Russian legislation to carry out “covert mobilization” to support operations in Ukraine without conducting full mobilization. The Russian State Duma announced plans to review an amendment to the law on military service on June 28 that would allow military officials to offer contracts to young men immediately upon “coming of age” or graduating high school, thus circumventing the need to complete military service as conscripts.
Key Takeaways

- Russian forces conducted a missile strike against Kyiv for the first time since April 29, likely to coincide with the ongoing G7 leadership summit.
Not sure I agree with their analysis there... I would have thought Putin would ordinarily keep any escalations until after the summit instead of escalating and raising a talking point. I think it's much more likely as a result of UA getting their hands on missiles from the US et al. but that's really just an opinion.

KitConstantine posted:

I don't think I saw this posted yet - somehow the verbatim transcript of a call between Macron and Putin 4 days before the war was leaked, and a french outlet printed it all

A few selections:

quote:

Discussion of Minsk accords and the sepratists attempting to dictate policy to the Ukrainian government

Emmanuel Macron:
Me, I just look at the texts and I try to apply them! And I don't know what jurist will be able to tell you that in a sovereign country, the texts of laws are proposed by separatist groups and not by the democratically elected authorities.

Vladimir Poutine:

(Firm and annoyed tone) This is not a democratically elected government. They came to power in a coup, there were people burned alive, it was a bloodbath and Zelensky is one of those responsible.
I do still like the way the French spell Putin's name like he's a regional Canadian dish of mashed spuds and gravy though

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 27, 2022

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

orcane posted:

Is Turkey still operating those S-400 systems? I know part of buying them was as a "gently caress you" to their NATO partners because Erdogan strong!, but I wonder how much they value them now.

Trade them for Patriots and send them to Ukraine with the next batch of TB2s already.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The best we know is they are. I reckon they may be having some second thoughts about it now.
Can you clarify please...? Do you mean that they are still operating them...? Or that they are trading them for Patriots and sending them to Ukraine..?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

mawarannahr posted:

Yes, they were delivered. I didn’t know this off the top of my head but I just looked it up by a web search (I use :google:) and Reuters says it’s true.

https://www.routers.com/article/us-turkey-security-usa-defense-russia/turkey-says-delivery-of-second-s-400-battery-complete-idUSKBN1W00AQ

Yes I recall them getting delivered as well, but Cinci's answer to the post above his/hers was a little ambiguous as to whether they're still getting used by Turkey, or if they're being traded to Ukraine in exchange for weapons from NATO and/or other sources. That was the intent of my question.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I meant that they’re still in Turkish arsenal.

I wish they were traded to Ukraine for Patriot replacements, as I’ve posted before, but that’s not something even suggested publicly.
Thx.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We’ve briefly touched upon using coastal anti-ship missiles for land bombardment a few months ago, when Russia posted footage of that, but we haven’t discussed Kh-22 in this thread, in the context of mall attack or otherwise.

[Tweet removed as it's in the reply I quote below]

This one sure does look like Kh-22, but I don’t think it’s a veiled threat, despite these being meant to nuke carrier groups or whatever. My speculation is that this was a choice dictated by economy, this being an old design and them having blown through 2500+ long range missiles already, if Ukrainian tally is accurate.
It's a great image, but this reply raised some points I initially agreed with.
https://twitter.com/roygrubb/status/1541987584938606592
I was able to find a YouTube clip though (linking instead of embedding - no apparent gore but predictably a big explosion), and I gotta say, given the crispness of the overall explosion in the imaging, that is a really good CCTV camera.

I was going to remove this second bit when I found the YouTube vid, but I'll leave it in because I think it supports any argument that is indeed a real screen-shot.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

Modern outdoor CCTV cameras which are designed for day/night use have very very sensitive image sensors. To keep those sensors from being washed out in bright daylight they used to have a mechanism to move an additional grey filter in the optical path but increasingly they just set the electronic shutter to use extremely short accumulation times (1/5000s or faster, here's a setups guide where the configure one to run 1/4000s indoors) because the electronics to support that are now cheaper than the extra filter. Combined with modern video encoding that makes stuff remarkably sharp in full daylight.

So yeah I can believe that frame is real, albeit extremely lucky since any particular pixel on the sensor is probably only actively capturing light 0.5% of the time or less.
Thanks for the explanation... I really didn't know that, but it makes perfect sense. The vid only caught it in two frames - both sharp. The image posted in the tweet is a crop of the second.