Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

How long will it take for the Ukraine war to work its way into video games and what will the effect be?

Call of Duty: Warzone came out in 2020 and was set in the fictional city of Verdansk which was very heavily inspired by Donetsk.

Here's a video comparing locations in the game with locations in Donetsk and some other parts of Ukraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Ardennes posted:

It isn't going to be a decade.

The war will have lasted a full decade by next April.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Ardennes posted:

The Donbass war had a ceasefire, it was de facto a separate conflict.

There was never a ceasefire in the Donbas war, just some ceasefire agreements. The 2020 ceasefire came the closest but there was still shooting and shelling going.

https://acleddata.com/2022/03/03/timeline-lead-up-to-ukraine-invasion/

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
I wanted to post some things Prigozhin said in an interview with the New York Times during the battle of Bakhmut.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russian-mercenary-chief-sets-out-ambitions-an-army-with-an-ideology-2023-03-12/
"The Wagner private military group must turn from just a private, the best, army in the world which is capable of defending the state, into an army with an ideology. And that ideology is the struggle for justice."

https://en.topwar.ru/212443-vy-za-d...artemovska.html
"But there is a second scenario, which can be described by the formula: you are for democracy, and we are for justice. In Russia, half of the 140 million people are for justice. If these 70 million people suddenly express a desire to join the Wagner PMC, the West will see a 70 millionth military company. And this is also a good prospect."

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/europe/article/3213316/ukraine-war-russias-wagner-chief-sets-out-ambitions-army-ideology
Prigozhin has repeatedly denied harbouring any political ambitions. However in a video message on Saturday he announced he would run in next year’s presidential election “in Ukraine”, against current President Volodymyr Zelensky and his predecessor Petro Poroshenko.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

Seems like the time to offer the unstable chef about to lose his private army $6B and see what happens.

Wasn't he already rich?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
So what's been happening with the Ukrainian mass conscription notices in the cities? That's been pushed out of the news recently.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

"However, recent progress in two rapidly expanding fields, nanotechnol- ogy and biotechnology, suggests that the concept of stand-off warfare could be fundamentally redefined where it previously was not. Military applications in these fields might, for instance, make it possible to wage stand-off warfare without sacrificing proximity

The hell, does he expand on this at all?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

For instance, nanomaterials are being integrated into military vehicles to make them more resistant to penetration, yet lighter and more agile, which will increase their survivability against IEDs and anti-armour projectiles.
This sounds vaguely legit. Nanotech is being used in materials science. Most famously in the nano-thermite that Bush used to destroy the twin towers.

Frosted Flake posted:

Vehicle engines are being built with nanoscale structures attached that are capable of conducting self-diagnosis and self-repair. This, in turn, is expected to enhance reliability and allow for smaller logistical tails while extending operational range."

Frosted Flake posted:

Existing stand-off capabilities are also being augmented with nanoscale robotics that can perform reconnaissance, communications, and targeting missions, and can do so in combination with larger, macro-scale technologies such as drones and UAVs

Frosted Flake posted:

nano-computers

Frosted Flake posted:

The protection and self-diagnosis capabilities embedded within nano-suits, for instance, are moving in the direction of creating a ‘cocoon effect’ around individual soldiers."
This is all pure science fiction. The man is using nanotechnology like he's Hideo Kojima, as a sort of plot spackle.

Frosted Flake posted:

small-calibre munitions are being developed with MIRV-like capabilities that will enable single rounds to strike multiple targets simultaneously.
The Soviets already developed this technology during the Cold War. It was called Revolver Ocelot.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. It explains everything.
Revengeance doesn't use nanomachines as stand-off weapons. It uses them in melee, which is even closer than rifle range.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Officer Sandvich posted:

Maybe Moscow could have been toppled with 25.000 mercenaries?

No way there were 25k mercs trucking to Moscow. How long of a convoy would that form? 25 miles at least right? The videos we saw of Wagner was of them traveling single file and along a single highway. I don't think we saw them them with more than a few hundred vehicles. It's an impressive show of force to be sure but no where close to 25,000.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

96 spacejam posted:

This morning I've been able to find at least 7 notable PMCs operating openly in this conflict.

Could you share your list

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
Thanks. I think you may be missing Shoigu's Patriot PMC.

96 spacejam posted:

Once I get into my deep dive I'll come back with any proper updates. My initial feeling is that all of these groups take their orders from Wagner otherwise I'd imagine Operational Clusterfuck would be apt.
I'm not sure why you're discounting an operational clusterfuck. That may well be the way Russia has decided to organize their troops.

96 spacejam posted:

Moran Security Group
These guys should have picked a different name.

96 spacejam posted:

Thank you! Are you just aware of them or is there a nonprofit out there tracking movements or whatever? I could be talking out my rear end so apologies.
I'm afraid you've been played like a drat fiddle.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

the fall of the USSR was a ruse and one day there would be a coup to reinstall 2SSR, just like that Simpsons episode?

I thought the USSR was still around because the leadership went to Transnistria after everyone else left.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

The problem with longer, heavier, projectiles in 777 specifically is that the cradle already has serious issues and so increasing recoil force and chamber pressure is not really acceptable

What if instead of replacing the propellant you replace the the explosive with something more powerful but less stable, like CL-20?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Starsfan posted:

The video they released of him pleading for the Wagner people to go home was very strange, and people are using it as proof that he was under imprisonment and being forced to put out a call for his co-conspirators to back down.. but wasn't he holding a rifle in that video? Why would he have a firearm with him if he was in the custody of the FSB? I don't think there's been any proof presented either way to substantiate or disprove any of the claims being made.

Guns don't work without bullets. Haven't you ever seen an action movie where the hero gives the secret villain a gun and then when the villain tries to shoot the hero the gun is unloaded? Maybe they wanted to see if he would try to shoot his way out.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Starsfan posted:

right..

so I see the new thing instead of keeping a list of Russian generals that have been killed in the SMO will be a list of Russian generals that Putin is keeping under top secret house arrest because they attempted to coup him. What fun

Don't forget that according to MI6 the Putin we know is a body double that replaced the original. If Putin (or rather his double) has that kind of technology then there's no reason he couldn't use it again. Any Russian generals that are reported arrested and then seen in public are actually body doubles of the original.

Edit: While researching this comment I found this wiki page on all the times Putin has died. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictions_of_Vladimir_Putin%27s_death_or_incapacity So the guy the body double replaced probably isn't even the original Putin.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

I realized people might think I was joking, but it's a real thing and they really paid a contractor rather than "qualify" military instructors on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A00APZTq1o4
All these people training on it look miserable. The one that's actually filled with water looks like it might be useful. No advice on what to do if the fire is larger than a CRT TV.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

Raytheon has called in retired engineers to teach its employees how to build the Stinger missiles heavily used by Ukraine’s military—using blueprints drawn up during the Carter administration.
------
“Stinger's been out of production for 20 years, and all of a sudden in the first 48 hours [of the war], it's the star of the show and everybody wants more,” Wes Kremer, the president of RTX’s Raytheon division, said during an interview last week at the Paris Air Show.
--------
When the U.S. Army placed an order for 1,700 Stingers in May 2022, the Pentagon said the missiles wouldn’t be delivered until 2026. Kremer said it will take about 30 months for Stingers to start rolling off of the production line largely because of the time it takes to set up the factory and train its employees.
---------
That means they must build the weapons the same way they were built four decades ago: including installing the missile’s nose cone by hand.

When I first played MechWarrior and read about Lostech I thought it was the dumbest bullshit ever. Why would old stuff be better than new stuff and how could you forgot how to make good stuff?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there a mainstream source on the cancellation of elections that I keep hearing about?

Here's a source that isn't state media if that's important to you.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/zelenskyy-say-no-elections-until-war-ends/

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

mlmp08 posted:

Jeans with a little bit of stretch are great, because they really don't limit your mobility and flexibility.

This was solved in the 70s without the use of synthetic fibers. Just use gussets.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
Is everybody here too young to care about the dangers of revealing information on the internet? Or is everybody here so old that they have a BBS account with their real name on it?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

stephenthinkpad posted:

Crotch rivets....jeez why?

One of the first changes made to jeans was to put an extra strip of denim behind the crotch rivet. It turned out the crotch rivet could get very hot if you were sitting in front of a fire and then shifting position could put the hot rivet in contact with your unmentionables.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Nix Panicus posted:

It could be an innocent, well meaning warning that if anyone *was* collecting clues they could probably hazard a guess, rather than an ominous threat they almost had their Clue notebook filled out and were on the verge of making an accusation

Some people are just autistic as hell and don't understand how things can look
That's the impression I got from his post and I didn't think there was anything odd about the way he phrased it. It just sounded like a warning.

Am I autistic?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Comrade Koba posted:

ramzanhammer 40k

Wearing my Fattening Clothes today.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

nigel thornberry posted:

which religion, nationality, class or race is being attacked in France?

The French

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
Twitter is broken, learn to how to take and post screenshots again.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Freezer posted:

bend the knee to Elon and get an account.

I shamefully did so, I got rate limited immediately. I'm pretty sure the limitations are from Twitter being DDOSed by not paying Gooogle and weren't done by choice.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Majorian posted:

Which is precisely my point. As long as this stalemate persists, why would either side make a desperate move that made one of the most economically viable regions in the country suddenly economically barren?

So if one side determines that the stalemate is unlikely to persist for much longer, then they may make a desperate move?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Majorian posted:

Possibly. I don't think we're going to see that anytime soon though. I think it's stalemate o'clock, just as it always is.

Destroying the Kakhova dam seems like a desperate move to me. I just don't see how you can say "they" were desperate enough to destroy a massive and vital dam but not desperate enough to destroy a nuclear power plant. It seems like some very fine hair slicing.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Majorian posted:

When did they seriously consider doing it?

When they shot artillery at it?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Majorian posted:

Someone made a similar claim the other day and when I found the article they were referencing it turned out not to be the case. So I'm gonna call bullshit on this claim too.

It would take more than a couple stray shots to create the sort of uncontained meltdown that the more conspiracy-brained goofballs ITT are talking about.

It wasn't stray shots, it was aimed fire by HIMARS at the floodgates of the dam in order to test the viability of destroying the dam.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/12/29/ukraine-offensive-kharkiv-kherson-donetsk/

The Washington posted:

The two bridges were targeted with U.S.-supplied M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems — or HIMARS launchers, which have a range of 50 miles — and were quickly rendered impassable.

“There were moments when we turned off their supply lines completely, and they still managed to build crossings,” Kovalchuk said. “They managed to replenish ammunition. … It was very difficult.”

Kovalchuk considered flooding the river. The Ukrainians, he said, even conducted a test strike with a HIMARS launcher on one of the floodgates at the Nova Kakhovka dam, making three holes in the metal to see if the Dnieper’s water could be raised enough to stymie Russian crossings but not flood nearby villages.

The test was a success, Kovalchuk said, but the step remained a last resort. He held off.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 06:26 on Jul 4, 2023

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Majorian posted:

That's great and all but there are a lot of oligarchs running the country who would very much like to use that area to make money, and they're the ones who make the decisions, not poster boy Zelensky.

We really have no idea what internal Ukraine politics look like right now. The only things I'm pretty sure about is that Kolomoyskyi is no longer relevant and the SBU has a strong veto power over decisions made in the Kyiv. What I most wonder is how much control the various paramilitaries are under. Prior to the invasion it was clear that Zelensky had very little power over them and they would continue the war against the Donbas republics with or without his support.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
Just another article and some quotes from it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/01/world/europe/iaea-visit-zaporizhzhia-nuclear.html

"The New York Times posted:

after an artillery bombardment forced operators to shut down one reactor and switch another to emergency power, highlighting the immense risks of combat around a site loaded with radioactive material.
-----
The team of 14 experts with the International Atomic Energy Agency planned to gauge the damage to the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant from weeks of shelling

I also want to add that that nuclear power plants need electricity and water to continue to function. Loss of either of them can cause a meltdown. A meltdown also doesn't always mean a release of radioactive material. Three (3) Mile Island was a (partial) meltdown and it released very little radioactivity. The same is true in reverse, you can have a release of radioactive material without a meltdown. A meltdown is just when the radioactive material in the reactors can't be cooled sufficiently and then literally melts into a liquid, it then often melts it's way through the bottom of the reactor housing. This is really bad for the operation of that reactor and is how we got the elephant's foot from Chernobyl.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/08/31/ukraine-zaporizhzhia-nuclear-plant-iaea-grossi/

The Washington posted:

Ukrainian officials remain worried that the Kremlin’s forces will sanitize the plant ahead of the visit and intimidate workers into not telling the truth about Russian behavior, prompting the IAEA to bless the safety protocols at the plant. That would, in effect, legitimize Russia’s occupying presence, the Ukrainians fear.

“The worst-case scenario is when they come and say it’s best that the station is under Russian control [and] in general, nuclear safety protocols are followed,” Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba told The Washington Post last week.

The worse-case scenario for Ukraine is if Russia is following nuclear safety protocols. Thankfully a party or parties unknown is working to ensure that Ukraine's worst-case scenario doesn't happen.

The Washington posted:

more than a dozen experts will inspect a Russian-occupied plant that has experienced artillery barrages and power outages, among several other challenges, in recent months.

The Washington posted:

Two Ukrainian plant workers have been killed in the shelling around the plant in the past month.

An expanded quote
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/08/26/ukraine-nuclear-plant-russia-inspectors/

The Washington posted:

Ukrainian officials said their biggest fear was that the IAEA visit would bless the safety protocols being followed at the plant, and by consequence seem to legitimize Russia’s occupying presence there.

“This is the worst-case scenario,” Kuleba said. “This is what we shouldn’t allow because this will mean that the Russians will stay and that will mean that the Russians will continue attempts to disconnect the power plant from the Ukrainian grid.”

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 07:54 on Jul 4, 2023

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
https://archive.fo/dBHtv

Another article I found about Ukraine's attempt to take the power plant about a week before the IEAE inspection team visited. Posting it since I already read it.

The Times posted:

Kyiv has never acknowledged attacking Europe’s largest nuclear power station but Ukrainian special forces, military intelligence and navy personnel involved have revealed to The Times details of the highly dangerous operation to recover the site.

The Times posted:

“The idea was that this would be an infantry-only battle. They wouldn’t be able to use artillery against us, as this is a nuclear plant,” the officer said. Drawn from select units of Ukraine’s military intelligence, GUR, and including the Shaman battalion, the Kraken Regiment and the Ukrainian Foreign Legion
Kraken Regiment is an Azov offshoot dedicated to special forces stuff. Shaman battalion is a sabotage group. Ukrainian Foreign Legion is ?????

The Times posted:

As special forces speedboats crossed a stretch of river nearly three miles wide, precision Himars rockets provided by the US smashed into Russian positions on the riverbank.
“This is our artillery and Himars working. Here they are shelling us in the water, on the Dnipro River,” the officer narrated as he showed video of the assault to The Times, explaining how his patrol boat had probed Russian defences on the bank for weaknesses.
Asked whether the US had provided targets for the Himars before the raid, a US defence source confirmed that “time-sensitive” intelligence was provided to Ukrainian special forces, although they declined to give specific details. “We do share information with them but they are responsible for the selection, prioritisation and ultimate decisions to engage threats,” the source said.
I'm not sure that the plan to use rocket artillery to assault the defenses around the plant and hope that Russia wouldn't use artillery on the incoming forces was properly thought out.

Russia has also claimed that Ukraine attempted to launch a raid of the ZNPP the day of the inspection but I haven't found western collaboration or pictures/video.
Ukraine is constantly claiming that Russia is firing artillery from inside the ZNPP complex but I haven't seen video or pictures of this either.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 08:26 on Jul 4, 2023

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

fizzy posted:

Shouldn't you be sicker of the ones who invaded Ukraine in the first place i.e. the Russian military? They can stop this poo poo any time they want, by withdrawing from Ukraine. The culpability is much more on them than on anyone else.

Would Ukraine stop shelling the Donbas republics if Russia pulled back?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

KomradeX posted:

Does no one remember Hans Blix

He's the UN guy who failed to find evidence of WMDs in Iraq like he was supposed to. The US sicced the CIA on him after he refused to find the evidence the US wanted in order to justify an invasion.
He was also the first westerner on-site during the Chernobyl disaster. Hopefully he stays semi-retired.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

mlmp08 posted:

reporting if they hear/observe shelling

Did the IEAE ever figure out who was shelling the nuclear plant?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

mlmp08 posted:

And it's not like the IAEA team have a counter-battery radar of their own to monitor artillery fire.
You don't need a counter-batttery radar to know where shells are coming from, you can just listen to them. You only need a counter-battery radar to be able to accurately fire back.

mlmp08 posted:

The US reported at least one instance last year where US sensors picked up Russia firing artillery from in/around the ZNPP
Do you have a source for this? What kind of sensors did the US have and where were they? The only practical way I can think of is satellites. Otherwise the sensors would have to be in Ukraine and operated by either Ukrainian troops or NATO troops.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

euphronius posted:

they didn’t like the idea of seeing Russia blow them up I guess

I doubt it, Leopard 1s are acknowledged as being old tanks. They were made before NATO figured out how to use composite armor so their design skimped on the armor in favor of speed since it was thought that you couldn't stop contemporary HEAT. I'm not sure if these ones were retrofitted with composite armor, NATO tends to be reluctant to do that for some reason.

I do think the UK is having the Challenger 2s held back for this reason. We haven't seen them on the battlefield yet. Those are modern "pride of the army" tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

mlmp08 posted:

I don't think anyone's going to take it seriously if the IAEA says "I heard explosions, and I know they were Russian explosions because of my special ears."
Everybody in the West(this thread excepted) would believe them if they said it was Russia. Ukrainian civilians being interviewed usually know where the shells are coming from but maybe they're just built different.

mlmp08 posted:

They didn't specify the sensor specifically by name, but satellite is a reasonable inference, either from detection of fires or just having imagery of artillery in/among ZNPP.
The only image I've managed to find shows single truck that may be a B-21 Grad. If the US has satellite images then they can release those images so we can examine them. They've previously released satellite images of this war so it can't be holding back images because of technical capabilities. The US has the most advanced satellites in the world but their ability to determine what those satellites are showing is incredibly poor.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 16:02 on Jul 6, 2023