Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

lmao literal trillions for the wealthy this is why americas #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Japanese whiskey is often just as good these days

just as good and often twice as expensive

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

DrPossum posted:

Very interesting much of the northern plains and inland PNW does so well.

it’s all that Scandinavian genetic life expectancy

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ham Cheeks posted:

explain the significance for the dumb ie me

americas been essentially running the world economy for the last 70 years or so and the world is starting to think that not’s such a good thing

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Gorson posted:

I'm not in maths and I completely believe you but how is this even possible? It's a computer, wouldn't it have to be programmed to do math wrong in order to do it wrong?

because it's a chatbot not a computer, we shoved a ton of information at it and it tries to find patterns

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Tasks like labeling and verification are harder than they seem if you want usable results, so my guess is they couldn't get what they needed that way. All the big tech companies that have "AI" driving their products have armies of these contractors making minimum wage or a little better doing amazingly tedious but not-quite-unskilled labor. There are whole companies out there providing these services to Google, Microsoft, etc.

AI data sifting is the new call center

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The end game is housing that costs 105% of your monthly net income and the housing debt gets passed on to your kids

Tired: having children for tax breaks

Wired: having children for debt inheritance

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Norton posted:

everyone knows about planned obsolescence, but its been bothering me that it's less about greed and more about just meeting the basic requirement of all companies, which is maintaining a constant stream of revenue. it's absolutely fundamental to a company's survival that they never make good products because if you make a durable product you will run out of new customers and your revenue will dry up. people don't need to buy a cast iron pot or steel train car every year if the one they have still works fine.

a fun lil detail in cyberpunk 2077 is that one of the in-game cars you can get was made by a company that decided to go all-out on consumer friendliness and built a car that was durable, reliable, easy to maintain and repair, and relatively affordable. The company then went out of business because their customers just bought one car each and kept them running for decades

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

is something awful going to become popular again?

lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the secret to dining out post covid is to go get food not made by white people

I promise there’s more than just New American restaurants with $25 BLTs

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

Imagine Musk committing to any kind of training regimen. I literally cannot grasp onto the image in my minds eye. It's like trying to conceive of a 4 sided triangle.

the fourth side is time

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

“the bush era 2000s had no good music” is one of my favorite persistent terrible goon takes

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

i am harry posted:

care to describe how that conversation actually went i can’t really fathom it making any sense

gonna go ahead and assume it was the default stripe/square/w.e. payment processor on an iPad that asks if you’d like to leave a tip no matter where you are, not a “how much tip will you be leaving us” conversation

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

if grape nuts are bad for you I’m assuming all cereal across the board is unhealthy? I’m not sure a “healthy” breakfast option exists in that case aside from unflavored unsweetened oatmeal which might as well be wallpaper paste

e: my usual non-cereal option is a banana with my coffee, surely that can’t be too terrible health wise

“healthy” is a very vague term

breakfast cereal is more or less universally a combo of carbs and sugar. which can absolutely be “healthy” for you if you’re burning those calories or have the high metabolism of an adolescent. if you’re eating a big bowl of cereal to get in your car, drive to the office, sit at a desk, and then drive home, you’re probably going to have a better time with a less calorie-dense breakfast

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

sorry Europe, you guys were cool for a little while but Number requires blood sacrifices and the global south just ain’t cutting it anymore

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

oh good 10% more savings than 2019, good thing everything costs the same as it did back then

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I keep vacillating between sympathy and contempt tbh.

if the contempt is for the SW then I can already tell you that it's completely misplaced

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

DancingShade posted:

https://www.afr.com/life-and-luxury/food-and-wine/subway-offers-free-sandwiches-for-life-but-there-s-a-serious-catch-20230727-p5drmx

Idiocracy's "bought to you by Carl's juniors" gets another step closer.

Just got to legally change your name to subway.

wasn't that a bit from Community?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

the problem with expensive watches is that most of them look like poo poo

it's cool to not care

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Considering how much sugar is in every subway loaf, the fillings, etc that's like having multiple candy bars for lunch every day.

I fully believe processed sugar will be our era's "lead in the waterpipes" thing where future generations will look back at how much we (Americans) were consuming in absolutely everything and be horrified

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah I remember reading about this. Wine is where the money is at. People have it in their head that they want to spend $X on a bottle of wine for Y quality, and it's almost all just branding and salesmanship.

The premium consumer pays $40 for a bottle of wine at the store or $90 at a restaurant when that bottle costs some small fraction of that to produce.

Beer and liquor have much smaller markups, relatively speaking.

wine is weird; the markups on wine are high because the associated costs of wine is a lot higher. I run a beverage program for an nyc restaurant and while wine brings in the most revenue, the COGS is somewhere around 30% while liquor is usually high teens low twenties and beer is as low as 10%.

wine markups are also different depending on the price of the wine. low end wines that cost the restaurant $10-$20 a bottle will usually get marked up 4-4.5x, while expensive bottles that cost us $100 a pop you can really only get away with marking up 3x or so. For super rare super expensive bottles you can see markups in the 1.5x-2x range, but since you're making literally $1000 in profit per bottle sold it's no issue.

basically as far as costs and margins are concerned beer is impossible to beat, but if you want any real revenue you need liquor and if you want that sweet whale money (sorry, premium consumer money) you need expensive wines

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

euphronius posted:

I don’t know how Tito’s became so popular. I think it’s the label

they successfully convinced morons that they were the first gluten free vodka

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

triple sulk posted:

i hate getting super e/n and all but man it loving sucks. it feels great when you get a slew of interviews coming in since it says that at least some people have an initial interest in who you are, but then they go nowhere and you feel like garbage once again

applying to jobs is like online dating; purely a numbers game of sending enough applications that someone eventually says yes, and not letting the endless rejections get to you personally

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the bus situation seems absolutely insane, I did some looking around to see why it was such chaos and what a shock, it's tech:

quote:

The district had 600 bus routes and 13,000 stops under a new plan created by AlphaRoute, a Boston firm that used artificial intelligence to cut the number of bus stops in the district by nearly half.

But on Friday, Superintendent Marty Pollio said the district had to add thousands more stops. He called the chaos on the first day a "transportation disaster."

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

PoundSand posted:

taking the plea seems like a lovely deal she got railroaded into by a bad lawyer cause criminal trial would require an actual jury to not just laugh it out of the court room right? Though I guess the entire jury could just be nextdoor psychopaths so maybe not.

it's literally because of the sex trafficking our kids paranoia, so you'd have to take a Texas jury and pray that you don't get any Qanon nutters who will refuse to acquit because of the Great Plot

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

lol at the saudis being allied with usa, israel, and china

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9EYt_f12wo

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

TBH I’m surprised America hasn’t tried to kill the Americans with Disabilities Act.

it only still exists due to heavy lobbying from Big Ramps

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I can't tell how much of the UAW support from the public is from people actually being fed up with Big Corpo or if this is just a unique instance since The American Autoworker is one of those blue collar folk heroes for older generations

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

we absolutely would not have gotten the same UI program without trump not giving 1 poo poo about signing off on whatever lol. abuela would have made sure to slow roll it and tack on 40 bajillion qualifiers and mean test it to hell to force folks back to work. lol at thinking a democrat would be more reasonable on this

a really fun stat to point out to my decorum poisoned lib friends is that by every metric used, Trump personally oversaw the largest and swiftest reduction in poverty in American history

of course the takeaway isn't "Trump good" it's that giving very poor people a small but significant amount of money without conditions has an absolutely massive impact on their lives and they aren't just spending it on drugs and booze or whatever the gently caress politicians say whenever it comes up

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it's funny how the annual iPhone release has gone from a massive hype event to something that barely registers on peoples' radars. I wonder how much of it has to do with the increments being less and less noticeable

I went to replace my iPhone XR (not by choice, the logic board gave out) and I've never been so undersold at a company store before. like 4 different people working there said that the 14 straight up wasn't worth it, and that I should just get the 13 instead

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

"gas heats faster! gas heats faster!" i scream as the induction coil perfectly and effortlessly transfers energy into the pan and only the pan at 100% efficiency

jokes on you, I actually love when the center of my cast iron skillet is twice as hot as the rest of it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

yes

liquids need 30-40% alcohol before they become inhospitable to bacteria. it's hard liquors that can last indefinitely, not beer/wine/cider etc.

also, make sure to store them in a cool and dark place, and make the containers totally airtight to prevent oxidation

there are wines that can last 200+ years but it requires a combination of lots of sugar (another preservative) or heat treatment that essentially pasteurizes the wine (like in Madeira)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

you can also put a wooden spoon over the top and this will stop it from boiling over

also if your pasta is boiling over you filled your pot too much

your pasta noodles don't need to be completely submerged when you put them in, the submerged bottom will soften in like 20 seconds and then the rest of the sticks will fall in

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Maed posted:

I already said above that there is so much energy in the gasoline we use that it's 3 times the current full output of the us electrical system, maybe you should read and learn something jackass instead of begging for info that you won't read

looks like America's going nuclear then

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

my problem with oat milk is that it makes everything I add it to taste like cereal

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Wonder how goons are going to square "lol, chud got owned" with "sex work is real work and should not be criminalized".

*takes a breath to center my focus and align my chakras*

bad things happening to assholes is funny, and this is true without endorsing the bad thing

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

it freaking owned

the brief glimpse of what UBI would be like was pretty cool

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Smythe posted:

10 years ago it was the norm to be 80/20 earned income/contributed. now its inverted. not good

art patronage is back baby

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the only time the sports gambling was good was a few years ago when it first was widely legalized and all the different apps were offering incentives to try and entice people to sign up, and someone figured out a way to essentially beat the house using the sign up benefits as long as you didn't already have any accounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

oh yeah sounds like the House really got beat on that one

I mean obviously if you're someone who struggles with gambling addiction don't even touch the stuff but it was an easy few hundo for about 20 minutes of signing up and then deleting the apps