Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Modern controls doesn't improve your reaction times. If you can't anti-air DP or hit-confirm on reaction with classic controls you won't be able to do it with modern, because it's your brain that's too slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Countering DI with your own DI is one of the first muscle memory reactions everyone should practice. People will be throwing tons of raw DI's online, because at least early on it'll work more often than not.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

There's no flat 20% damage reduction on modern, but some moves do have it. If you do a raw DP it always has the damage of light DP, which is 20% less than the heavy version. But if you cancel into the DP from a normal, it has the same damage as heavy DP. It's all very inconsistent and confusing.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

loving lol

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

If SPD is just direction+special with modern controls, Gief is going to be absolutely degenerate in this game. As in, not fun at all to play against at any skill level.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Some of the players appearing on Daigo's SF6 demo streams have been using modern controls (John Takeuchi, Trashbox), and so far it's been a big nothingburger. Besides reacting to badly spaced fireballs with supers, they haven't really been doing anything special. If anything they've been worse off than classic controls players because they can't do Luke's st.MK, his best poke in neutral. Some people have been saying modern controls will break the game because people will be whiff punishing everything with DPs and supers. Yeah that's not a thing, not even with John Takeuchi's insane zoomer reactions.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

morestuff posted:

Looks like Gief / Lilly do in fact have one button inputs for their 360 moves in Modern mode so we’ll see how that works out

Apparently Gief only has heavy SPD with modern, no light (which has the best range) or medium. I doubt that makes it worthwhile for better players.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Of course Gief can still do light and medium SPD on modern by doing the full 360 motion. But just having heavy SPD as easy input doesn't really add much, when it's not really used outside punishes due to the tiny range.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

teagone posted:

The character you make in the demo (not the open beta) will be saved and carried over into the retail release.

Hmm two weeks to craft the perfect monstrosity. It's tight but doable.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I main Guile. Sonic Blade in this seems to come out agonizingly slow compared to SFV. I'm just not able to use it effectively. But, I'm also not very good at the game.

Is anyone finding Sonic Blade useful? How are you using it?

Watch some replays of NuckleDu, he's using it constantly.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

Playing the beta for a bit tonight: game rules! Good mixture of not knowing what I'm doing but still winning a couple here and there, and fun trying out all the stuff for the first time in this one.

What's quick recovery again?

There's no quick recovery in this game afaik, but you can back roll on wakeup (from non-hard knockdown) by holding down two buttons.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

chumbler posted:

It's in large part because just day 2 and not really having training mode so I have scarcely more than zero combos and still mess them up half the time, but boy Chun feels really bad to me. It feels like she has a shorter range than any of the other characters which is weird considering how she's always been before, her st.mk doesn't seem to really duck anything, and she doesn't have anything that leaves her neutral or at least safe negative other than ex legs and maybe H legs (though that will be beaten on startup if they mash). Hazanshu they say is supposed to be used to close distance and beat sweeps, but it loses to any button seemingly including lows and isn't safe on block. It honestly even seems like she's like 20% smaller than she should be. The biggest issues I've been having are getting used to her really long fireball charge time and up inputs being so sensitive that I'm constantly getting sbk (and consequently eating poo poo for it) instead of legs or hazanshu.

Again this is all mostly day 2/-14 gripes on a character I can't really practice and who I don't long term intend to play anyway and who may well be a bit different in the final build and an entirely new game I don't understand the flow of yet, but if there's some way they wanted her to be played, I'm surely not grasping it.

Punk was playing Chun and had like a 50 win streak in ranked, so there's some replays to watch at least.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Thirsty Dog posted:

She is by far the least intuitive character and doing anything really interesting with stance will be beyond most scrubs like me.

https://twitter.com/PunkDaGod/status/1660274368658718722

Yeah not a beginner character.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I'm pretty sure most people using modern controls in the beta did it just because it was the default option and they didn't know how (or why) to change it. I don't think I saw a single modern player in my 100 or so ranked matches, and only a few in casuals/battle hub.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Weird Pumpkin posted:

They mentioned adding online training mode which is cool, so I suppose that'll probably be a thing? I'm assuming there's an offline training mode you can get to as well or at least man I hope so!

There's offline training mode option right there in the fighting ground practice menu, it was just disabled in the beta so people would actually test the online play.

It would've been hilarious though if they put in all that effort make a really good training mode, with frame data and all kinds of advanced options, and then only put it in the limited amount of battle hub cabinets.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Luke is boring because he's pretty much the same character as in SFV. All other returning characters have loads of new stuff, even regular guy Ryu.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

Anyone in Europe, how was the netcode during the beta?

Good to the point where location doesn't really matter anymore. You can play with US people from Europe and it's perfectly playable, even 200+ ping was barely noticeable.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Ulio posted:

What's gonna be the noob friendly character in the base game that is not a charge or shoto, I actually managed to get to plat with Ed on SF5 but he was easy mode, just won on pure anti air dmg most fights.

I'd guess Marisa or Lily.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Shoenin posted:

How's Dee Jay? Heard he's no longer a charge character

He's half charge now. The upkicks anti-air and fireball are still charge, but sobat and machinegun upper are motion inputs now.

With the sways and fake moves he's also one of the more complex characters now.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Even if World Tour is rear end, even the critics love the rest of the game.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Giving a low score for the whole game because of World Tour is extra ridiculous considering it's essentially bonus content that doesn't normally exist in other similarly priced fighting games. You can ignore the whole mode and still get the usual fighting game experience, which is generally excellent in this game.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

There was no way they weren't going to DRM the poo poo out this, after the cracked beta debacle.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Cosmetics are a big deal, to the tune of billions of dollars. If you're not into them great but this poo poo is evil for those of us who are.

I'm not buying SF6, I'm not getting FOMO'd, I refuse to support this. I'll buy the ultimate in 3 years at 40 bucks and save hundreds. If this is how it's gonna be, oh well.

Did you skip SF4 and SF5 too, because this isn't new.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Ryu is travelling the world looking for strong opponents to fight. They really went all out with him, a big departure from previous games.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

hello internet posted:

Same but I have a feeling the servers are gonna be hosed all weekend

If training mode works I won't even care.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Is there a speedrun strategy for unlocking the classic costumes in World Tour as quickly as possible yet?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Game isn't out yet?

Buncha people playing with physical copies already.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Ulio posted:

Its about to unlock on Steam Australia, I am gonna try the vpn trick see if it works.

This is against Steam TOS though, so do it at your own risk.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

All the reviews are with like 0.1 hours played, so tech issues as usual in every release ever.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

so I guess where Capcom decided to do their "let's alienate a few older players so that we can expand our audience to new players" thing is to cut loose the old heads who remember when $60 meant $60 and not having parts artificially carved out, locked behind a grind, with a giant neon sign that says "MICROTRANSACTION FAST PASS".

Putting some costumes behind a paywall is pretty loving tame compared to some of their earlier antics, like the on-disc DLC characters in SFxT.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Did they forget to implement the cash shop for Steam or something, because I'm trying to give them more money but can't.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

teagone posted:

I don't know if it's too early still, but I'd assume if that were the case, all the top players that will be crawling the pro tour would be using modern controls in ranked. At the moment, I'm pretty sure most are all using classic.

Of the top players that are streaming I've yet to see anyone using modern, or complain about it. It seems to be a complete non-issue at that level, I've only seen redditors and casuals mad about modern.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

...that feeling when you're too old to play fighting games anymore......it was a good 30 year run, haha!

A lot of FGC is middle-aged, man. Justin Wong and Daigo are like 40 now, both still playing actively at a high level.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

People mentioned parrying is the answer to flying headbutt Honda. But also heard that you have quicker recovery blocking than parrying, so blocking then kicking him with a normal might be better? Is the move not very punishable etc?

Could I also kikosho his face perhaps?

Only EX headbutt is punishable on block.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I know the crouch tech option select from SF4 isn't in this game, but I still mash it out of habit.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Al! posted:

give manon an air grab

For some reason they gave JP an air grab. I've never seen anyone use it though, probably because they don't know it exists or forgot.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Christ.
Playing Guile when the opponent has even a minimal life advantage is a special kind of hell.

They can just parry all of your projectiles for free and good luck trying to zone and still come out drive positive out of it.

All the Japanese pros are ranking Guile as S-tier, and I'm not sure why. He's not bad, but he's very... honest. No throw loops in the corner, no real frame traps (only F+HP is positive on block), etc. Unlike most other characters in the game he has no robbery potential, so you'll have to win the old-fashioned way: chucking booms, flash kicking jump-ins and counter-poking.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Medullah posted:

I got placed in Gold with Guile winning 7 out of 10 of my matches, which is hilarious because I really don't enjoy playing him. The few actual Gold matches I've done have shown that it was a mistaken placement heh. And it's especially weird because I won 7 out of 10 with Zangief too and got Silver.

On my third set of placements I went 8-2 and was put in mid-Silver. I don't mind climbing out of the swamp, but that's some inconsistent poo poo.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Gold 1 will become by far the biggest rank, as that's where all the people who can't really go further will accumulate. Even people who are not really gold-level will get out of silver eventually with some win-streaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

What the gently caress? Why can't I throw booms right any more?

Try setting button release input (i.e. negative edge) on in control options and see if that helps.