Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
i will simply open two twitter accounts. borrow at the low low rate on the first one, then put the money on the other to earn interest at the highest interest rate in the world as promised by elon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

ryanrs posted:

I assume Musk would insist on a fairly broad "don't gently caress with me" contract.

really?

the guy whose whole negotiation strategy amounted to blurting out "ill buy your company for $weednumber, no questions asked"?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

ADINSX posted:

Tweet deleted

it showed a tesla turning off the road to park, then suddenly turning back onto the road (after a guy on a scooter had just passed), swerving and then flooring it, hitting another scooter and flinging the rider into the air, then a bicycle (didn't seem as deadly), completely destroying one of those mini trucks that it plows through, then swerving out of control and crashing into a building.

the crashes with the scooter and the mini truck looked absolutely deadly. horrific stuff

i couldn't tell if there was someone in the car, but i don't think they'd be able to drive it like that, through three crashes and at that speed

but hey, self driving tech is right around the corner!

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I'd really really like emergency brakes to be a purely mechanical thing, so you at least have something for actual emergencies, instead of just using it for parking on slopes.

but yeah, they're probably going to be replaced by a software toggle

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Sagebrush posted:

they already are electronic. most new cars have a parking brake button that tells the computer to drive a gearmotor to pull on the cable that sets the parking brake. thankfully, there is no way this system could fail.

i haven't owned a new car since my bottom tier toyota aygo in 2011, so I didn't know that. i guess that means that it's unlikely we can put that genie back into the bottle.

The_Franz posted:

the crazy thing is that it dodged the first bike, then a car, went further down the road, and only then decided :killing:

i'm curious if the crash into the building was the computer or the driver

I think the last crash damaged it enough that it had to happen. One of the tweets mentioned a tire blowing out, so that would get them spinning out of control

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

TheMightyBoops posted:

Wasn’t there tweets today about a new summon update being pushed out?

musk is occupied elsewhere, so it's probably a great time for tesla folks to get some work done on things that actually matter.

but what can they do that isn't completely stupid (cross continental summon - definitely coming in 2018!) or impossible (solving the body panel gaps and all the other manufacturing defects)?

maybe they're finally putting the hazard markings back in the factory now elon 'i just dont like yellow stickers' musk isn't likely to walk onto the floor

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

TheMightyBoops posted:

I just wanna know if I need to be vigilant of Teslas when I walk through the parking lot at work tomorrow.

well, the china video shows that you need to be vigilant anywhere the tesla can reach.
one can just race into you at 100mph and keep going perfectly straight after it hits you.

rogue teslas roaming the land are going to drive people to live in trees, swinging on vines from one treehouse to the next

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Cold on a Cob posted:

he'll destroy twitter, sell it for pennies, and blame it on the "fascist woke mob wanting to destroy free speech"

i don't see how he ends up personally hurt by any of this but dare to dream

who'd buy it?

automattic again, like with tumblr? quite a way to build a social media empire out of the hubris of billionaires and megacorps

Roosevelt posted:

twitter implodes for obvious reasons, gets sued by all the huge brands
china bans tesla and calls for his execution, nhtsa also bans under pressure from congress
fed stops all spacex funding unless eelon is completely cut out because he's incompetent and works with the saudis and made fun of sen. markey

idk, it could happen

elon goes to russia, because 'at least there's still freedom there' and promptly falls out of a suspicious window

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Lain Iwakura posted:

what a level-headed individual who surely will respond to the unintended acceleration reasonably

even if the 'he's fired' thing is fake, that isn't really going to inspire twitter employees.

actually, being "fake" fired on twitter, then humiliated about still coming to the office with a "didn't i fire you yesterday? why are you here, you pussy?" is even worse than just being fired and it being clear.

there's a reason mock executions are kind of frowned upon

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
sure, let's see what crunchtime all the time will do to an already decimated and demoralized work force

it might work, right?

right?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

this guy is just going to fall deeper and deeper into this hole he's in with his followers

now it's 'state regulation is violence, men with guns forced me'
if he's still alive in three months, he's going to be posting 1930s caricatures of jewish people

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

bustin keaton posted:

It also will likely rule out mass adoption in parts of the world that have decent payment infrastructure. I could send money in two seconds from my banking app, or send a payment request link with a pre-filled value to the same effect. Why would I want to use a social media app that is full of Americans sending money to each other?

Edit: and yeah, PayPal has a 20 odd year head start on adoption for payments not covered by the above

paypal actually doesn't work all that well in a lot of big markets.
in india and turkey, for example, it's illegal for them to offer wallet services because it doesn't have a local bank license, so people can't keep a balance and it's just a credit card intermediary

local payment systems that do have a license (or have partnered with a local bank) are eating paypal's lunch. it helps that they don't try to impose american views on how money should work and have some local culture knowledge to inform their policies

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

they have an understanding of genetics straight out of crusader kings 2, so it really is no surprise they're also going for home names

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
i wonder which specific nazi is going to buy the twitter brand out of the bankruptcy to create a crypto scam

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Lain Iwakura posted:

https://twitter.com/jasonbaumgartne/status/1593573576346517504

if elon gets rid of 33% of the data centres, that solves the api issue right

he should pick a data center to keep open, and then his infra guy turns off one of the other two.

he should then switch his choice of data center to keep open to increase his chances of solving the problem, even if it doesn't make any sense intuitively

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

tag yourself

im gizmoduck

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Arms_Akimbo posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593899029531803649?t=KjeN3iJ5oB9d99LtSERs3A&s=19

I bet those guys have ten shirts in their desk drawer to make sure they're wearing the same color as musk

did he delete it, or is it just twitter shittiness that's making it not load right now?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

beuges posted:

what if the whole neuralink thing about helping disabled people to walk etc is just a cover for another melon grift to get government money to subsidise the real goal, a direct brain-tweet interface? and then made his team install it directly into his brain because he didn’t want to wait for animal testing and fda approval?
what if we’re seeing a preview of the future?
:tinfoil:

he's going to have to hurry then, if he wants to launch neuralink before the twitter api breaks down

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

quiggy posted:

[citation needed]

trump definitely hates musk for being a bootlicker and a rino and whatever.
musk probably really admires trump for being a great deal maker like he himself could never be, and he's too stupid to see that trump really is a con artist and his deals are always either outright coercion or just not paying people as agreed

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
subscriptions can work for twitter, but you can't pull enough money out of verification, even if you don't actually do verification.
you'd have to charge normal users. but you can say goodbye to the middle east, asia and africa if you do that.
selling europeans and americans a twitter subscription for thirty bucks a year is possible

but then you hit all of the problems sa has figured out over the past decades, like the two big ones that you'll immediately need to deal with:
- do you want people to be able to evade a ban just by paying?
- chargebacks when you ban or suspend people

selling people a spam and scam license for $8 just isn't going to cut it

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Beeftweeter posted:

unless i'm missing something it's already $96/year and lmao if you think he's not gonna jack that up

that's for the blue check, but to make enough money, you'd also have to charge for regular access. it just doesn't work out based on blue check revenue.

and if you get into charging for regular access, you really cant charge that much for that. a few bucks a month is the most you can charge, and you'll have to charge it per year to cut payment processing costs and to frontload the revenue

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

fortunately, twitter will have no revenue very soon, so that puts the cap on that fine at 20.5 million

that must be a relief

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

to complicate things a bit more, sbf is also an investor in semafor, which elon has called them out for without mentioning sbf's twitter stake or more generally crypto people's capture of twitter

that guy was out there sticking his fingers in all of the pies when he was on top

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
didn't musk also open source some of the tesla patents and nobody took him up on the offer to use their tech because all other manufacturers had found their own better ways to do things?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
oh wow, yeah that's an incredibly bad deal then

it does show how musk is well aware of how (tech) journalism works: the simple version of the claim is what gets reported on the front page, the strings that are attached and the objections that others raise later end up being forgotten, barely reported on

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Spatial posted:

It just struck me that elon is a noble. the stereotypical moronic noble from every fairytale lol

"yes, your imperial highness, such a beautiful new website," all the incels and VCs tweet, looking at a progress spinner and 'this tweet isn't available right now'

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
im not right wing, but hollywood treating trans people humanely once in a while and black people getting starring roles is driving me to suicide

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

that one's just musk making sure he has an excuse for when it comes out that humans going to Mars at any real scale isn't going to happen in the next five lifetimes

"i wasn't overpromising, i just got hosed by that diversity and inclusion nonsense"

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Tesseraction posted:

lol https://twitter.com/courtsnewsirl/status/1596198832924430336

Apparently Twitter International is incorporated at Fenian Street in Dublin.

lol

if the person whose main job it is to lobby govts for you has to go to court to keep their job, you can imagine how well influencing govts to make sure they leave twitter alone is going to go

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it was really Britain loving itself over repeatedly, thanks to their absolutely delusional thinking that the EU somehow needed them more than they needed the EU

if you think about it, brexit was kind of like musk buying twitter

just 'yeah, we're going to do this' and then later figuring out that nothing worked the way they thought

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

FCKGW posted:

Twitter also tried and failed! How have we all forgotten the Peek?!?!?!

i really hope musk finds a case of these during a coke filled rummage through the basement and uses them for his elonphone

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

icantfindaname posted:

a libertarian microstate guy

it's definitely going to be this

his desire to go to mars obviously has some strong early modern 'be the first white man and you get to claim the entire continent' energy. this man wants to claim land and become supreme ruler of it.
and since no one's going to mars, he's going to try to grab and claim bir tawil, or that bit of danube bank that croatia and serbia claim belongs to the other. maybe he'll try seasteading first, but that's going to fail, obviously, as it always has.

musk will absolutely refuse to accept that you just can't create new countries, even in unclaimed territory, because it's not the mid 1800s anymore.

hell, i could see microstate losers like the "royal family" of sealand inviting him to become their head of govt which musk may even consider because he'll be under the illusion that this will put him outside of the EU's reach or something (it won't)

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

in one of the runs i thought 'oh good it slows down in this one' but it turned out to just be one that they ended in slow mo to showcase the stroller flying through the air

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

champagne posting posted:

even with all of those things solved it still leaves the question of "why"

it's because mars doesn't have people of color

sure, you could do all that terraforming in chad, or south sudan or arizona (and it'd be infinitely easier, even), but ew, there's native populations there, and people with power that could constrain musk's ambitions.

step over the line in the sahara and a technical full of scary looking black guys rolls up to break your poo poo. on mars you can do whatever you want, because who's going to come over there and enforce space laws and treaties?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
it's probably a good thing he doesn't have a partner currently (someone check local horse transfers!), or he'd probably shoot her in the bathroom during the night like oscar pistorius

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
actually, what books are that in the blue case behind the lamp and water bottle?
or is it one book with a red white and blue pattern? the text in the red line seems to say 'pillars of civility' but i can't make out the rest.

could it be this?

https://www.amazon.com/Pillars-Civility-compassion-encouragement-responsibility/dp/1777871107 posted:

During times of stress, confusion, and resistance, this collection of short essays provides the reader with an opportunity for self-reflection. When we live in a state of fear, rational thinking is impossible. When we take some time for ourselves, we can reach a state of calmness, which allows clearer thinking and healing to occur. As we discover which areas of our lives are out of balance, we can begin to regain that balance through the simple self-reflective exercises following each chapter. We need to commit to this process regularly to live a more balanced life in a chaotic world. The common-sense messages contained within each essay reflect my personal experiences and can serve as reminders that we are not alone, that our feelings are both valid and essential, and that there is a path to a life filled with joy and grace.

yeah, he needs some balancing and self-reflection alright

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

refleks posted:

it means not in our lifetimes...

so this is what in musk terms is 'by Q3 of next year'

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
if he did a 'for every dollar that's donated i stay off twitter for one second' thing, he'd double his net worth

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Tiny Timbs posted:

uh what does buying twitter have to do with this plan exactly?

well, he couldn't exactly put nazi content on the tesla companion app, could he?

not while maintaining that last sliver of plausible deniability anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
do kids still take typing lessons at around age 11 now?
or do we as a society just assume that because theyre ~~~=digital natives=~~ that poo poo comes naturally to them?