Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

"What's the best airport code" is a fun game.

I'm partial to KLIT, the Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport. Which they renamed as such fully knowing it was coded KLIT. Of course, there's also Sioux Gateway (SUX).

Actually, just as far as names go, I have Wa (DGLW) and Wawa (CYXZ) on my to-visit list, mostly because, well, wouldn't you?

Ciampino Airport near Rome has cute ones for both IATA (CIA) and ICAO (LIRA).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I was always partial to this, and it's too bad we never got the X-29 with a shark mouth in real life:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah flightaware's data is very inconsistent, claims previous flights were 7 minutes long and covered about 800 nmi.

Wanna see that one take off.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ola posted:

lumbersexual

gently caress you, you're making that word up. I'm not even going to check.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Linedance posted:

Just imagine how cool the F35b is gonna be when they're finally finished it!

It probably will literally poo poo gold from all the plated connectors falling out of it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Psion posted:

in non-WIC news, what's the best way for someone to get from Dulles into downtown DC? Asking for a friend who was not lucky enough to get booked into National. (company booking agents hate you, apparently) -- any particular cab/car services that aren't mad poo poo, etc, or is it just the usual?

If you're looking to do it cheaply there's a bus that goes from Dulles to the Reston metro station and you can take the ~60 minute subway ride in, total cost is about $10. Washington Flyer has a taxi monopoly on the airports in DC so they're all you can get if you walk up to the taxi line, I think it's about $50 to get downtown and you'll get there in about 30 minutes if it's not rush hour, and up to 90 if it is. I've used them a bunch and never had a bad experience.

If you want more information, ask in the DC thread.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

Nazi Concorde, from New York to San Francisco in two hours.

From the pilot episode of amazons Man in the High Castle adaptation, pro watch:
http://www.amazon.com/pilotseason

Heads up: it's a Phillip K. Dick novel and it gets meta as gently caress, moreso than many of his other works. It's good, but mere alt-history it ain't.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MrChips posted:

You see, my issue with the drone business is that it seems the overwhelming opinion coming from them is "we don't want BIG GUBBMINT interfering in our precious business with all their rules, stifling our creativity abloobloobloo :qq:"

Everyone in aviation already works within largely the same framework...why should anyone else get an exception?

They're DISRUPTING THE MARKET therefore the rules do not apply, no you shut the gently caress up dad.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm guessing that they could retract each set of landing gear separately; maybe they only needed both sets on takeoff and landing.

As opposed to all the other times you need landing gear? :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Going through my bookmarks and I found a 400 page PDF on Project OXCART and the U2. I can't remember if I got it from here or not so pardon the repost, but I know some of you guys might be interested in that.

That book rules, pro as gently caress click.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Barnsy posted:

What is even the point of lasers like this? Aside from physics experiments and blinding people, obviously.

Pretend you're Luke Skywalker, if the shape of the housing is any indication.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

poo poo, the Have Glass Vipers look great.

When did people start calling the Falcon the Viper? I get that it's not cool to name your manned airplanes after birds at the moment, but it's not like Falcon was a horrid name. :corsair:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ola posted:

There wouldn't be any need for regulation if drones were unavailable to morons.

This is true for pretty much all regulations, by the way.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fucknag posted:

At some point on the "smallest plane" scale there's probably gains (losses? shrinkage?) to be had by putting the pilot in a pressure suit and filling the fuselage with helium for extra lift.

Pressure suit is overkill; just put him in a SCUBA dry suit, connect a snorkel to the exterior, and keep altitude below 5,000 feet. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

You joke about requirements creep with T-X, but apparently the USAF requested $220.5M in the FY16 FYDP for pursuing a plan to develop a mod kit that would enable T-X to fill a red air aggressor role (it's apparently for the FY18 budget).

Neither the AETC/CC (who has oversight on any trainer aircraft procurement in the USAF) nor the ACC/CC (who would have oversight on any future aggressor plans) has any idea what this $220.5M was for or why it was requested, and both claim that this would be a currently unauthorized increase in scope to T-X as it is currently intended to be procured as only a trainer, with any addition in capability to be occurring after the initial procurement.

So the USAF requested over $200M for an add-on capability that not one but two four-star generals not only could not explain, but both directly questioned why the money was being requested since it was directly contradictory to the intent of the program it was being added to.

:suicide:

(It actually makes some sense for T-X to have some sort of red air capability since the USAF currently uses T-38s as pseudo-aggressors for the Raptor at Langley, it's just really funny to me that this $220.5M got put into the FYDP without anyone apparently having any idea it was there or why it was included, even if it was in the out years of the FYDP as opposed to an actual budget.)

They just stumbled across the funding for a couple of new engines for whatever manned surveillance platform replaced the Blackbird.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mind the gap.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

If an airline employee is dedicated to a murder-suicide theres not too many options to prevent it.

Anyone can become an amazingly effective weapon if they don't care about their own survival when they're done.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

Any thread in GiP, despite the topic, will eventually be about dogs, Katy Perry's butt, or trans raptors.

And God bless you for it, every one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Don't not read this story.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just on CBC news: "Recent events in Europe raise the question: would the flying public be better off if there was ~no one~ in the cockpit?" :bang:

They'd be better off not flying, yes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Inaugural Virgin flight from Manchester to Atlanta was supposed to include a ceremony involving a water spray-down from a firetruck.

Instead someone hit the 'FOAM' button instead and got the flight canceled:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/inaugural-manchester-atlanta-flight-grounded-8950095

They bukkaked the Virgin Beauty Queen on its maiden flight. Have you no decency, Manchester?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dulles sucks all the cocks anyway. Welcome to the National Capital Region.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SybilVimes posted:

Yeah, it's essentially a single runway airport, just with different options for common wind directions.

When you want that to expand to 2 runways, you end up with 1950s heathrow:

e:

It should be noted that 9L and 9R are still as they were then, today:

You can even make out the bits of the old runways that are still used as taxiways, but the rest is filled in with parking/gates mostly, and the huge cargo terminal on the west side of the centre.

That old picture would be great to troll ZOG conspiracy believers with.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Degree posted:

Does a day each at Udvar-Hazy and the Air and Space Museum seem right?

Yes, there's too much in both and they're too far apart to entertain doing both in a single day. If you're hoteling in DC and will be visiting during the work week, you may want to do NASM first and then U-H second so that you'd be driving out of the city during the morning rush.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

The one hyping they got right.

Seriously, I'm laying in bed right now and I was just saying to myself that I don't mind going to work so much, I just don't feel like putting on pants.

THERE'S GOTTA BE A BETTER WAY

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

:ssh: Richard "The Reason We All Gotta Take Off Our Goddamn Shoes In The US" Reid's flight was, if you haven't guessed already, a 767

Ed:

I suck at acronyms - what's TDY stand for in this instance?

Temporary Duty. I preferred the acronym TAD for Temporary Additional Duty, or Traveling Around Drunk.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Let me ask a question that fits into the previous topic seamlessly: how much do you love flying boats?

If the answer is "a hella lot" then this is the site for you. It has a catalog of design plans for flying boats. Reviews of books, entirely about flying boats. Color charts for flying boat painting covering all flying boats during their heyday. A index of out of print articles on flying boats. Walk arounds of flying boats. Another comprehensive index of models of flying boats. A index of flying boat cut-aways. Dare I say it, it's pretty aeronautically insane, and my hat is off to whomever is maintaining this site.

The account of the guy who runs it is "SA Ribbans" which one of you is this?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plinkey posted:

Looks like it might be based on the Sea Ranger, maybe Sunderland? It looks pretty drat generic.

It's crystallized Art Deco!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ehnus posted:

I think the Mauler has the Skyraider beat for gross weight.

I was flying to Europe once and this girl next to me was all smug because she had a meal from Whole Foods instead of whatever they were serving on the plane, telling the stewards "No, I don't eat airplane food". Joke was on her though, her meal hadn't been refrigerated for like 8 hours by the time she tucked into it and she spent the rest of the flight vomiting.

Amazing how much technology you need to be all natural.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

monkeytennis posted:

Disk failure do you think?

Somebody waved a bunch of paper in the uploader's face for exclusive rights, more like. Or they realized they might be terminated for making the recording.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

New F-35 helmet lookin good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

That one?

It's a Mirage III. More precisely, a Mirage IIIO, which means it once flew in the RAAF. There's not much differences between the Mirage III and the Mirage 5, which is funny because the Mirage IV is a completely different beast.

Mirage IV : Mirage V :: New Coke : Coke Classic

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wolrah posted:

The old data thing would be pretty simple to deal with from a technical side. Anything with working GPS knows exactly what time it is, so make it refuse to operate outside of a very limited "toy" profile if the data is more than X amount out of date. Figure out a standard format for the data and make it the FAA's (or other local regulatory authority as appropriate) responsibility to provide it so we can be confident everyone's running on the same information and if a manufacturer disappears the owners of their products will still be able to get the required updates. Add digital signatures to prevent tampering.

As far as the rest, drones should obviously be the ones to yield right-of-way to manned craft in pretty much any situation I can think of because they're almost always going to be more maneuverable and have the least to lose if the avoidance maneuver goes wrong. That said the easiest way to make sure this happens is to mandate ADS-B or something comparable in all GA, so IMO the solution is to tell the "no electronics" crowd to gently caress off.

It's not like small, battery operated, near-1GHz, GPS equipped radio devices are expensive technology these days. There are probably regulatory issues to resolve about what would effectively be a portable transponder, but I see no technical reason why one couldn't have a box that was basically the size of a smartphone with a pair of antenna ports for GPS and transmit, otherwise packed with batteries, which would allow even the lightest of ultralights to add ADS-B with no effort other than attaching the box and antennas somewhere appropriate.

lol if you think it isn't trivially easy to spoof GPS time and location.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alereon posted:

Isn't that only true for obsolete receivers that use the legacy signal? I thought the current civilian signal is much more robust and secure.
You can pop current receivers just fine. Before this ends up like the NFC poo poo in the phone thread a while back, my specifics are NDAd but I note that some college kids took a flying UAV down a few years ago and anything that can be done remotely by a hostile party is much easier done by a friendly party with physical access.

https://www.ae.utexas.edu/news/features/todd-humphreys-research-team-demonstrates-first-successful-gps-spoofing-of-uav

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alereon posted:

Oh sure, I mean it will always be trivial to just jam the signals and reduce accuracy or prevent use of GPS, but that's immediately detectable so a lot harder to do nefarious things with. The real concern is someone stealing every Amazon Prime package being delivered in a given area.

Also, do other GNSS systems have decent coverage over North America yet? That's another form of redundancy, I'm sure the other systems are similarly vulnerable but requiring a malicious actor to carry 4 sets of equipment makes things a bit tougher.

GLONASS does. BeiDou is still focused on China and the region around it but they are adding more satellites and intend to have global coverage in the next few years. Galileo is supposed to begin service next year.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

david_a posted:

Then again, going multiple times is clearly the superior option because it's rad as hell :getin:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Locator posted:

Why would they shoot calipers at a helicopter? Seems like a strange thing to do, and a waste of good calipers. Of course, maybe they had an idea for a new and unique way of measuring things that we'll now never know.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/3-new-us-military-surplus-measuring-calipers?a=1712036

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Hartsfield-Jackson was the most convenient airport

Said by nobody ever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Epiphyte posted:

No Tomcats, no sale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3XNEWtJF0o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A couple of years ago he backseated in an F-15 that went supersonic. The dude rules.