Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Well gently caress.

My Technics SL-D303 is running slow. Got it off of Craigslist like 7 years ago for $99 and it's served me well up to this point. In the past year, I've been noticing a gradual slowing of it for a little bit, but it was like a 1% difference / not enough to affect enjoyment.

All of a sudden, put some records on today... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's a problem. Feel's like a 10% slowdown (at 33rpm for reference). Played a digital file of the same songs to make sure I'm not crazy, and lo & behold I'm not.

Another thing I noticed is occasionally the 33 & 45 buttons will both be on when trying to switch between speeds.

Is my turntable dying? If not, how can I fix this so I don't have to drop like $400 for a new one.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

sporklift posted:

Have you tried messing with the pitch control? Otherwise you might have to open it up and clean the pots? I dunno about getting in the guts but googling "direct drive turntable slow" yielded some results you might try out

Fixed! Just had to spray some WD-40 into a couple holes under the plate and realign the pitch.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Sweeper posted:

This is by far the best thing I’ve found for cleaning: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...=BI%3A514&smp=y

I don’t like the fiber brushes at all, they never clean for me

The best are discwasher brushes from the 70's. I got one off of Ebay for like $20.

As for deep cleanings: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QbphnT1d-ys

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

dorium posted:

I want to pull the trigger on it, but i need to know more about how good the sound is on those discs. $500 is just a lot of bread.

Same.

I was 2 seconds away from pressing the buy button not knowing whether it A). Uses the same compressed master on the CDs or B). Pressed on recycled tires.

The value's bound to skyrocket tho.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The Denon DL-110 is fantastic. A moving coil that only needs a moving magnet-level of power to function at a MM price tag.

Or at least that used to be the case. This thing's shot up 4X in value since I bought it.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Darthemed posted:

$40 for a new LP? How about that much for a 7" single?

Normally I'd insult anyone who spends $40 on a 7" and make them feel small.

This is the exception.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Anyone grab a copy of the Muse Origin Of Symmetry "RemiXX" here?

Was curious to how the vinyl version of it sounds (the digital is totally brickwalled).

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

BigFactory posted:

I’ll post more later. That social distortion seems to be kinda valuable. Cutout, but not bad for a buck. Looks like a couple more that might be worth something.

Bete Noire gets unfairly slept on.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The blue-color pressing of When We All Fall Asleep has some DEEP bass.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Read After Burning posted:

Sorry to pile on to your personal Hell, but I grabbed this on vinyl just now. :yeah:

2007 should not feel like this long ago!

Owned Legacy Of Blood on vinyl once.

Clear yellow. Terrible pressing. Gave it away to a friend (who got me into Jedi Mind Tricks in the first place]).

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Barry posted:

Do yourself a favor and don't look at the price of a Shure M97XE.

Yo what the gently caress.

I got mine in 2012-ish for $50. The hell happened?

Might as well make a mean profit if it's just laying around in my closet.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

wa27 posted:

We had an organized garage sale day along country highways yesterday. I hardly found any records, but I did find a greater treasure:

Return to innocence 運ポン

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I'm an '...And Justice For All' stan. Would've been interesting to see them go full blown prog after that.

Black Album is meh. Sad But True's a banger tho.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

CPL593H posted:

If anybody feels the need to buy yet another Nevermind reissue there's a 30th Anniversary 8 LP box set containing the original album, three live albums, and a 7" inch with a few non album tracks.

Nah fuckin thanks.

Now if they did something with Bleach that uncovered a bunch of unreleased thrash-sounding stuff, hit me up.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Barry posted:

https://www.plaidroomrecords.com/pr...ds&_ss=e&_v=1.0

I don't know if anyone had any interest in this but Plaid Room has the LCD Soundsystem live album reissue, nice price too. Mine arrived the other day, haven't had the chance to listen to it yet but it was packed well.

BOUGHT.

JAMOOOL posted:

So I've recently been made aware of this AI software you can use during Zoom calls where you train it and it then filters out anything that isn't your voice. It works really well! And it got me thinking, could you not do the inverse for surface noise? Would it be possible to make a chip that can filter out surface noise as like a plugin on your audio cables? Whoever invents this is gonna get super rich. If indeed it's possible to do!

I believe there was a Japanese laser turntable that had that option, but ofc it affected sound quality.

Turbinosamente posted:

Well I don't know whose pressing that, but here's a copy paste of an email I got today from a bandcamp label:

tl;dr is 8 to 11 months worldwide delays and I'm probably not gonna get the vinyl for an album debuting tomorrow anytime soon.

This is why I'm not giving myself a set date for when my album is finished because I'd ideally like all versions of it be released at the same time.

So 2023.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

For my birthday, MY GIRLFRIEND bought a giant cabinet, tore it apart and restained the wood and reconfigured the whole thing for me to create this beautiful fuckin thing.

Not pictured: the legs that were on it, because they couldn’t handle the weight. We are going to try and figure something out there. Truly an infuriating turn of events because it looked much cooler with them.

She even put strip lights and a dimmer on it. I have decided to call it The Monolith.

Put some kids inside her NOW.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIOhqRzZnFY

I use this. Cheap, works fantastic.

Only issue is I lost the vacuum adapter. I emailed a couple times to ask for replacement parts like 6 months ago and the fucker never got back to me.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 13, 2021

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

hexwren posted:

the prog guys, for the record, are constantly arguing about dream theater

DUUURRRRR MANGINI DUURRRRRRR PORTNOY DURRRRRRRRRRR ACTUALLY KEVIN MOORE

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've bought more vinyl in the past few weeks than I have in the past decade:

New stuff:

Genesis - The Last Domino? A 4-LP set of hits. Lots of pics inside of the band on their last tour.

Huh. Not a compilations guy, but that's a surprisingly decent tracklist.

petit choux posted:

I think I won the prog rock category today:

Asia is good, actually.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I'm autistic.

I went searching for my old Shure mx97e cartridge and found the metal case but not the actual cartridge.

I might have thrown it out by accident when I was moving some stuff around.

I bought it for $69. It's worth $400+ now.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkk

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Barry posted:

I'll sell you my unused Shure mx97e for $399

I was looking for it TO sell it.

Full-grade need a helmet just to breathe jfc

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Castor Poe posted:

Let me take a pic of my balls resting on the playing surface of a first printing of Revolver

It's either on a low numbered White Album or it didn't happen.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Some tender tidings of Holiday malaise from my home to yours.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
All Things Must Pass > White Album > everything else

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

caligulamprey posted:

I love The Beatles. I just don't think there's much left to be gained from listening to The Beatles. That well's tapped to gently caress.

I did however scoop this one up from my mom, who straight up stopped listening to music after The Beatles broke up. CPL gonna have to give me a spare MMT, 'case it doesn't come in this set.

Get a German Horzu to round that out: https://www.discogs.com/release/4726560-The-Beatles-Magical-Mystery-Tour-Plus-Other-Songs

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

JAMOOOL posted:

ok quick question here - does anyone think there were a lot of shoddy pressings coming out between say, 2009 and 2018? of all the new vinyl I have, it seems like anything made between those years has like a 50/50 chance of having some defect. everything I've gotten since then has been perfect or close to it though!

I was disillusioned for a small while from buying anything new because of being burned on a few purchases and the added stress of looking up discogs/Head-Fi/Steve Hoffman reviews for something while at the store.

All of a sudden, this past year I get back into the swing of things and all my new records play like glass. Caught me off guard a little considering all the supply chain back-ups, so go figure.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Bread Dragon posted:

Back when Singles Clubs for smaller labels were economically viable in the sub-$100 category for 6-12 singles from a label with a cohesive sound that you liked or that had a good reputation, they were rad. But putting now $300 on the chopping block for just four albums that you may or may not have any interest in whatsoever is, to me, madness. Sadly until a new lacquer plant opens to replace Apollo, 7" singles will be a diminished artifact on the landscape.

Even at the lowest point in vinyl production in the USA, there were probably eight or ten domestic plants of varying reputations. United has a relatively lovely reputation and they were turning out a lot of the bigger domestic presses. If you ever press at United, be prepared to buy extra stampers, because yours are gonna get broken. I personally wouldn't press anything at United to this day unless I had a giant label's lawyers backing me up to swing dong if something goes wrong. And a lot of stuff was being imported from GZ in that era, and they'll press whatever you send them without batting an eye or giving a heads up if it sounds bad. Lots of medium and smaller labels and off-label bands were getting great stuff from Archer, Musicol, Gotta Groove, and Rainbo in this era.

Two outta three pressed with love at my plant in Chicago.

I'm writing some music atm and I'm already thinking of what plants will give me the highest quality possible at a decent price for when the time comes (or whatever's possible for a double-LP at least).

I was thinking going with Pallas, but they really don't want you to go past 18 minutes per side (which might be a problem because I already know one side's gonna be at least 22 minutes long).

Enos Cabell posted:

I ripped all my CDs to FLAC a few years back, but still have them crammed into one of these sitting in my office because I can't find a better spot for them.

Probably a quarter of them have cut up jewel case artwork. When I took my collection to college in CaseLogic binders, my youngest bro raided the jewel cases I left behind and cut them all up for art projects.

I like having something physical for everything, and CDs are great for picking up 90's and 00's releases that aren't worth 5X the extra cash for an LP.

I need to get more shelves for them though.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

CPL593H posted:

For me to poop on.

Adjusted for inflation that set was probably really expensive.

$104 it looks like (assuming this is the mid-50's).

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Read After Burning posted:

Someone sell me their copy of The Money Store. :colbert:

There's no way TMS is going for $150 now. The gently caress? That's one album I remember getting for less than $20 new.

The 2nd-hand market is a disease.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Live Seeds, My Arms Your Hearse, and those two Voivod LPs are my must buys this year.

Now whether or not I'll actually be up early enough to cop them remains to be seen.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Interesting article from The Guardian:

quote:

Record Store Day is harming, not helping, independent music shops like mine

Supply chain chaos and a worldwide vinyl shortage means the annual event that once saved record shops from extinction has lost its way

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/feb/17/record-store-day-independent-music-shops-vinyl-shortage

Can't help but agree in someway, but are a bunch of limited run releases really clogging up the supply chain?

Though maybe it would be a good experiment to forgo RSD next year and see what happens.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Didn’t we lose quite a few pressing plants recently stateside? I'd imagine between that and backed up shipping, the situation here is pretty fucky too.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Tool is awesome, but I've personally never encountered a rabid Tool fan so that helps.

I did go to high school with a bunch of rabid emo/core fans though, so leaning towards the progressive stuff was a natural counter to that I think.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Or if you're Elton John, one copy for each of your three homes.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Ballz posted:

Reissue I need my vinyls to be pretty colors.

:argh:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

BigFactory posted:

Buddha did genesis in the US too, right?

Nah that's Charisma.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
My university's radio station was participating in Vinylthon for RSD (spinning only vinyl records for 55 hours), and because I'm a loser alumni that still can't let go of his college radio show here's me spinning stuff from my collection for 3 hours.

Yes I sound like a wreck (was trying to get the two turntables to actually function in the beginning and the next DJ was kicking me out at the end), but who cares gently caress it!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Huh -- looking at other listings for the same album on Discogs, there is one listed where the seller has a comment reading "PLEASE READ: Media is actually like new HOWEVER weird pressing defect LP2 IS SIDE 3 ON BOTH SIDES, even though label says otherwise...great collectors item."

Which if I'd bought that one, fair play, that's on me. But my seller didn't list this one that way. Well, I only just messaged him this afternoon, so I figure it's fair to take a day or two to get back to me.

I remember this being a huge issue for some Roadrunner releases.

Dream Theater's Systematic Chaos was the worst victim. Every US copy had the "Side 3 pressed twice" issue.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Went by a Barnes & Noble and saw this nonsense:

LOL talk about avoiding inflation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is there any recommendations on how to clean vinyl? I’ve tried looking up a hood, non-wallet murdering way but everyone seems to have their own way while saying every other way is horrible. I’ve seen people recommend spin cleans, other people say those are horrible and the only way is with an ultra sonic cleaner, then someone will say that’s an awful method and the only real method is a wet vac style system. I’m not looking to clean like fifty at a time, just one or two as needed.

Super Cheap: Soak a towel with hot tap water (distilled is a myth unless you live in a place with lovely water), grip the disc, and rotate. Do this for both sides, then do it again with the not wet part of the towel to dry it off. Sound quality should go up at least half a grade this way.

Not "Cheap" But Not Bankbreaking: Want to perform CPR on grimy records that sound like popcorn? 3D printed vacuum like the Squeaky Clean III with a mini shop vac should help. Per side, I do 1st pass with 8 spritzes of Vinyl-Zyme then a 2nd with water. The vacuum won't take out EVERYTHING, but the disc should at least go up a full grade minimum.

Cheap Desperate "Cling For Dear Life" Method: Wood glue. If done wrong your record passes away, BUT chances are if you're resorting to this, your record is unlistinable anyways so might as well give it a shot.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 24, 2022