Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

kingcom posted:

That was the first time i've ever had buffalo chicken and it was pretty amazing. Please post more slow cooker recipes!

Missed this from a while back, but take a chunk of pork shoulder/butt (4.5 to five pounds is about ideal) and rub that with choice of pork rub. I went with a paprika and chili powder rub with a bit of sugar and salt, but check around online and find something you think you'd like. Stick that in a big ziploc bag or saran wrap it or whatever and put it in the fridge overnight, then put it in the slow-cooker. Pour a 20 oz. bottle of whatever brand of root beer you'd like over it. You can also rub on a little bit of BBQ sauce before you start cooking, but I get the feeling that that was unnecessary and I probably won't do it next time I make this. Anyway, start slow-cooking the pork on low and let it go for about nine hours. I did a four and a half pound chunk of shoulder last time I made this for about nine and a half hours, but it was probably done after eight and a half or nine or so. You may want to turn it halfway through, but I didn't and it was still fantastic. After that, very carefully take the pork out of the cooker, put it in a big bowl, and start shredding it with two forks. The pork's going to be really tender, so if you'd rather shred it in its juices (and depending on cut there might be a lot of juices) you can just do that and transfer it to a bowl, making sure to let the juices drain first. Stir in choice of BBQ sauce to desired consistency and congratulations, you've got loving amazing pulled pork. Serve it on whatever buns you've got handy, maybe with coleslaw or a pickle or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Quit while you're on top

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

swamp izzo posted:

Zeb The Moron.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plutonis posted:

hey guys what is the best music to play on a badass encounter against orcs: korn or dream theater

look man i watched the lord of the rings the real answer is orchestral bullshit

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

idk it seems like it was designed to be played via computer, so you get roll20 to keep track of everything then just kinda punch some poo poo.

also if you're pro dm you just ignore about 70% of all printed 4e material and just use phb 1/2 and maybe another book if a player wants to use something out of it and it doesnt look retarded. All that charop poo poo can eat a dick.

yeah, i know a lot of people would have poo poo a brick if they'd actually done it but 4e pretty desperately needed some kind of 4.5-style rulesfix to clear out all the cobwebs and implement all the math fixes as Honest-To-God Rules instead of feat taxes. or maybe a new edition entirely.....

also i wish happyelf could still post, dude was pretty much always right and he got banned for a really loving dumb reason

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Splicer posted:

Like who? Pretty much everyone I know who likes 4E ascribes to a fairly uniform list of stuff that's busted and needs to be fixed. The main points of contention tend to be "Feats: Ditch some of them or all of them?" and "Ability scores: Are they worth salvaging?"

"4E but not busted" was what a lot of people I know were hoping 5E would be. People poo poo a brick about essentials because it "fixed" stuff that wasn't broken and broke some broken poo poo even worse, not because change in general.

mostly the people who wouldn't buy the game anyway or would buy it to bitch about it and people who wouldn't want to spend a shitload of money on new books. so actually you're right, no one that matters

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Gau posted:

still upset we never got a 4E video game

pillars of eternity's looking pretty good and rope kid's been pretty up-front about 4e being a big influence, especially in combat. also tome's like 90% of the way to being a singleplayer 4e game. the dungeon design kind of sucks and it's way the gently caress too long, but i've sunk umpteen hours into it and the combat and class systems are really good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plutonis posted:

also add dating sim mechanics on planescape: torment :mrgw:

only for morte though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I-I made these cookies for you, Chief. D-Don't think this means I like you though!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Also, one of the Bakers. Which is the good one?

Colin

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Gau posted:

You clearly mean Tom.

colin's actually a very good actor who was hamstrung by how lovely literally everything else about his run was. he's been pretty much excellent in every competent spinoff thing he's been in in the last ten years

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

swamp izzo posted:

Ugly rear end tiles, the sound effects + music drive me insane, the writing sucks and is everywhere, and the gameplay is banal. It boils down to take every single skill and use every skill on cool down. My guys always die around level 20 from instagib and I worry that I am far more likely to develop a repetitive stress injury than ever unlock the oozemancer class, which probably plays about the same as the rest of the classes.

i can't argue with most of that, everything outside the class system is loving garbage and the earlygame esp. is insanely repetitive. i like the class system a lot though, most of the classes play fairly differently from each other and figuring out a build for your guy is pretty fun. hopefully the new campaign will cut out a lot of the bullshit though, instagib being the number one cause of death is stupid as poo poo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

stoutfish posted:

funny how in nethack and adom there is instagib stuff but it only kills you if you don't know it's coming, but there is no sort of prepareded ness to deal with it in tome.

it's almost as if save or die is bullshit.

deadly poison in nethack's pretty hosed. or it would be if it took more than like twenty minutes to get poison res. had a couple bullshit gnomes with a wand of death though, that was hosed up

tome you usually have some options to deal with the instagib poo poo, it's just sometime the game rolls gently caress you and there's nothing you can do about it. like in my last game i had a monster one-shot me from outside of LoS like fifty turns after i cleared out the rest of the level. dumb as gently caress

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

Ars Magica is insanely cool btw

arse magica

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rod of strikiking

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fuschia tude posted:

literally the ending of The Hobbit [/spoiler]

yeah but that was one dude who could talk with birds and was the secret descendant of kings and poo poo

this is a hundred dirt farmers with bent sticks

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

LSTB posted:

Former Bird Sets New Deadlifting World Record

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

i though the original appeal of the werewolf was that you felt you had this awful side to you that would come out and damage your relationships with others.

later of course they made it like the Hulk and turned it into a power fantasy, but the original werewolf lore was a curse, i thought

depends on who you ask. sigmund and sinfjotli turn into wolves for a couple of years in the volsunga saga and no one gets uppity about it. king gudmund gets kind of lovely about it in one of the eddas but everyone else just doesn't care much

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plutonis posted:

for a second i thought it was the lovely returners rpg or the mediocre one that GiTP made (i play a game of it on irc)

that is the lovely returners rpg. what a loving bad system

Cease to Hope posted:

wasn't that one of the 3e charop jerkoff sessions, a swarm of awakened bugs in a hive mind using some rules from bovd

yeah i think that one came in second in that goon tournament after that literally immune to everything yuan-ti anathema some dude came up with

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol jesus christ

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ungulateman posted:

my uni d&d 3.5 group bans the players handbook classes, so no wizard, cleric or druid (or fighter)

it's still poo poo but they're not willing to try 4e so i can't really hold it against them for trying to fix a broken system

(i don't play d&d with them tho, no gaming > bad gaming)

talk them into playing a good system for cool people like dungeon world instead of polishing a turd

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

i'm not talking about A always going before B unless they take a coded-in "delay" action i'm talking about A and B each going as many times as C goes, and A and B being able to guarantee they can chain their actions before C goes

i mean, you can't entirely guarantee that every single person will make precisely the same number of moves in a given combat, but A and B can coordinate an attack or maneuver and tell C to go after them. you don't have to sit there waiting to get called on to do something, the GM only does that if the action's flagging or if someone in particular hasn't done something in a while. also the gm's explicitly discouraged from calling on someone else while something especially interesting's going on unless a player's hogging the spotlight or something, and imo an ambush or an alpha strike usually qualifies as something interesting.

i mean, dungeon world's not perfect by any means. hack and slash and volley are both pretty boring moves + i'd prefer damage as a concept was a lot less granular that it is, but the whole *world system is a cool way to do storygaming with dice

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

@mikemearls OTOH, the monsters that hit & run are giving the characters a lot more options than if they pack in close.
@mikemearls IMC, gobs back off, PC wizard walked up, burning hands 2/3 of the goblins w/o oppy, moved back behind fighter

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Neither! ha-Satan isn't mentioned until the Book of Job and Lucifer doesn't appear until much much later (Isaiah, I think). The snake in genesis is just The Serpent.

missed this convo, but the "lucifer" in the book of isaiah's the latin translation of the hebrew word for day-star. isaiah was using the day-star as a metaphor for, gently caress, probably like the decadence and pride of the israelite nation or something. when the old testament got translated into the latin vulgate, the translator missed the metaphor and translated that bit like isaiah was talking to a guy named lucifer. later theologians working out of the vulgate saw that and started conflating lucifer with ha satan (lit. 'the satan') from the book of job and the demons that jesus casts out of some dumb gently caress in matthew and mark into one dude, then started mixing in stuff like the serpent from genesis and stuff from zoroastrianism to create teh concept of the devil as the adversary of god

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

stoutfish posted:

mr satan is the great hero of earth tho

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Gau posted:

But then again, Torchbearer is designed by a guy who actually wants to make a game

Something you know all about, right?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the lusty argonian maid tabletop rpg

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

* I'm assuming that the bard is meant to be male based on the depicted narrow hips; however, the apparent angle of the (clothed) left elbow does give me some pause in that regard.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

aesir drive like this, vanir drive like *this*

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Design Goals:
  • A series of brief distractions on the way to the cold embrace of the grave
  • Momentarily silence the endless chattering of self-examination
  • Realistic vehicle combat

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

LSTB posted:

4e is worse because of Rituals, and Skill Challenges.

skill challenges as written suck hard, sure, but rituals/martial exploits can be a pretty interesting way for characters to have agency in the game world. the two big problems are that they're gated behind feats for everyone who doesn't get them as a class features, and given that they're not +1 To Hit Stuff they're generally a suboptimal feat choice in a game where optimization is king. also that the game's balanced around spending all your wealth on the item treadmill to keep up with monster math, so any money you spend on rituals is effectively you shooting yourself in the foot. if you fix that (and that's generally two pretty easy houserules), you've got the bones of a pretty neat system.

i mean, yeah, if you want to storygame 4e wouldn't be my go-to system, but imo rituals aren't part of the problem

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

LSTB posted:

A lot of Abrahamic religion stuff like Ars Goetica and forgotten versions of the Old Testament actually make for a loving cool fantasy world.

the book of enoch would be a fantastic campaign setting, IMO

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

man versus giant, and whoever wins we all lose in the end (because god's an rear end in a top hat)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol that whole section on spellcasting npcs. his answer to npc spell lists being too long and unnecessarily cumbersome is literally "well don't write them all down silly"

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

knux911 posted:

New L&L is up; "Making the DM's Job Easy".
MM talks about encounter, NPC and monster design:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140421

seriously it blows my mind that his version of simple but robust is "well it's needlessly complex but you can ignore parts of it if you want"

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Attorney at Funk posted:

that spell absolutely does not appear on the cleric list

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ritorix posted:

Just like Apples-2-Apples and Cards Against Humanity, the rules are full of ways to combine random flavor things to create unique stories.

hahahahahaha

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

this troper posted:

That sounds like a great idea, saddle the DM with even more burden than just handling every single monster's abilities, initiatives, hit points, spells, defenses, and movement, in addition to designing the area that combat takes place in.

it basically just turns the arena into another monster, only it's one that can't be attacked or damaged normally and doesn't move. that's not that complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

P.d0t posted:

What are some games that have like, "crunchy" skill systems, that don't suck?
I need ideas to steal from.

ars magica

• Locked thread