Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

JHVH-1 posted:

The thing that sucks about accessories though is that the minute a new device comes out and you upgrade they are usually useless. You probably wouldn't get much resale value on it compared to the ipad itself. Sometimes I think it would be pretty profitable to get into the accessory business.

This is why I use a BT keyboard with an Origami case (for the keyboard). It works as an iPad stand and will continue to until there are drastic form changes to new iPads that either become larger or substantially heavier than current.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Smoot posted:

No no, what Diabolik is saying is that after Wednesday, you will not be able to go back to iOS 6. Whenever you do a firmware upgrade, iTunes contacts Apple to sign the firmware being installed. When a new firmware version comes out, Apple stops signing the older firmware versions.

I thought something called TinyUmbrella could do this, as long as you set it up before Apple stops signing?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Smoot posted:

For older devices (iPhone 4 and older), yes. It no longer works for newer devices, and a new method for downgrading has not yet been discovered/developed. Saurik summarizes here:

http://cydia.saurik.com/upgrading/shsh.html

and wrote a (very) detailed explanation here:

http://www.saurik.com/id/15

I've only ever jailbroken old phones--still have a jailbroken iPhone 1st Gen, so I never really worried about that, just knew what I heard others say, so thanks for the clarification!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

fadderman posted:

bought it at local electrostore chain in norway, and it is the 2 step authentication on my apple id thats hosed up and have cought me in a catch-22

Oh geez I just went through this but can't remember the exact steps I went through to bypass it. I remember it had to do with the recovery e-mail I set up back in like 2001, which was not the e-mail in the account name, and a text messaged activation code from Apple, but I think phone support initiated some aspect of the process that I couldn't get through just browsing through menus and apple support docs on my own. I'll edit this post if I remember more, but maybe this will jog someone else's memory before me.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It's so if you break it you don't pay hundreds of dollars. Unless you plan on not breaking it until you upgrade

Yeah I'm really curious as to what Paradoxish is thinking the Applecare is used for.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

MrEnigma posted:

To be fair there is AppleCare which comes by default for a year. And then there is AppleCare+ which is the supplemental one, which gives you an extra year (or maybe 2?) of AppleCare and also gives you replacement for cheaper if you accidentally bust it. Standard AppleCare is just the warranty.

Okay, I'm a bit thick, and the reason the extended warranty is a no go is because in that situation you're not going to have the ipad longer than the built-in warranty, so as long as you aren't the type who runs into accidental damage causing situations you might as well spend that money on next years model. I always see the extended warranty as the bonus, and the accidental damage as the selling point, but I've never even scratched an ipad yet...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

No sleeve I've ever seen has been particularly protective other than being a little cushioned to prevent scratches.

http://g-form.com/index.php/extreme-sleeve-2-ipad-case.html

I used one of these on my first two ipads, and I don't know that it can take a bowling ball like it claims, but it sure can withstand a fair amount of abuse.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Lexicon posted:

They disable touchID? Don't giant tech megacorps ostensibly care about security? Or should this be filed under for security reasons, your password may not contain more than 8 characters.

Maybe it's the RAMJAC corporation?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

japtor posted:

Of course not, the content blocking is only for Safari :v:. I'm not sure if they've mentioned whether it works for the web views in general (like in other apps), but there's also the new version there which pretty much integrates Safari into it from what I've read.

The most annoying thing about the App Store redirects is that Apple has that App Store sheet thing available for third party devs (to show a store page without kicking you out of an app) but they don't use it in their own apps at all. It'd still be annoying sure, but much less annoying at least.

Or a simple dialogue box when an app call is made without using share sheets.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

...lol if you think a 13" iPad isn't a reaction to the Surface line selling well?

lol if you think any market action by a multi-billion dollar company isn't based on the state of the market which consists of competitors offerings, or that in any way these choices are bad for the consumer.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Sometimes I take my iPad Air out of its case and ugggh this thing feels so drat light and beautiful and I hate myself for keeping it in a case, although I kind of need it as a stand.

Can anyone recommend a super thin and light case that can fold up as a stand that's compatible with the first iPad Air? I personally prefer those trifold types rather than the ones that prop up like this since they're pretty uncomfortable when resting on my lap or in bed. The more it feels like there isn't a case at all, the better.

I might be misunderstanding what "trifold" means, but aren't you describing a Smart Cover?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

iOS9 adds a bit of lag to the Air, presumably because it has less ram.

It's not major but Awful no longer smoothly scrolls, and closing Safari tabs is much slower. We're still talking sub second times here and I'm sure I'll stop noticing soon but having just been on 8 yesterday they stand out for now.

Awful's jittery scrolling on ios9 is code related, it's being fixed. I would not be surprised if the same is true for other apps (probably not Safari though).

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

So, since upgrading to ios9 my ipad 4 can no longer copy and paste on wifi login pages. It seems deliberate as the clipboard contents are accessible and remain unchanged before and after hitting the login page.

I'm not asking for help or anything, just trying to prepare 3rd party password manager or multi device users for a real headache.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

e.pilot posted:

For the love of god this.

Screen protectors are a waste of money.

People whose minds you've changed: 0

Please refresh to get an up-to-date number.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I Am Crake posted:

Because I was assuming it was a beta issue and I would not be on a beta anymore by now (but still am because I'm dumb), has anyone else ever had the issue where the volume of your iPad (in this case, a mini 2) is suddenly, say, halved?

It happens to me EVERY time I play a YouTube video and most of the time I can fix it by pausing the video and unpausing it. There's a substantial difference in loudness. In YouTube it isn't more than just annoying but in some other apps the volume stays too low half of the time.

Yes, the issue seems to be iOS wide and has presented with varying frequency since iOS7 here, across iphone 4/5/6+ and ipad 2/4/mini2. I don't ever expect it to be fixed.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

flosofl posted:

I know on the iPhone there's an issue where if you open Facebook it ducks the volume and it won't fix until you actually unload the app from memory. It doesn't matter if you switch to another app, until you force unload Facebook, your volume is halved. Sounds like the YouTube app was coded just lovely.

I don't know if the Facebook thing has been addressed or not, since I removed it ages ago. And I use a different YouTube client. Note: I haven't experienced this issue on either my phone or iPad, but only what people have reported.

There are a lot of lovely apps that gently caress the device-wide audio, many of them only when you're getting an incoming call while they are active. It is almost assuredly lovely code on the dev's part, but isn't avoiding bullshit like that in theory a part of why we have the walled garden and sandboxing?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

flosofl posted:

Well, there's tradeoffs aren't there? People value background processing like having an app play a podcast or music in the background. I mean sure, Apple could create a total wall between the system and apps, but then you wouldn't have a lot of the features that people take for granted on smart phones.

Yeah, I meant more the curated App Store than the sandboxing, but really that's not what they're looking for in that.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

Anecdotally when I worked in phone/tablet sales I had tons of customers who needed to buy a new tempered glass protector from me because the protector broke but not the screen. Never, ever saw that when we only did plastic ones.

I replaced plastic ones all the time after the customers tried installing them themselves.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

AppleCider posted:

We just got my mom an Air 2 because she found out she can work from it, which means she'll need a case with a keyboard. Any recommendations? The more bulletproof, the better, because I can easily see her letting my 3 year old nephew use it. A cursory Amazon search indicates you can pay as much or as little as you want. Are the OP recommendations still valid?

Will the 3 year old nephew be using the keyboard part, and does it really need to be a keyboard case or can the two be separate? The Apple wireless keyboard with an Origami case works quite well and can accommodate an ipad in all but the most ridiculous of protective enclosures (I'm thinking the ones that look like they're made of gym mat for babies when I think of incompatible, not an otterbox-type case). Keyboards for the iPad really come down to personal preference whether they'll be used or not, my mother was a professional typist back when that was a thing, so even though she hasn't used a proper computer with any regularity since DOS reigned supreme, any other keyboard just went unused.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the smart cover is a great cover but a lovely stand and it's starting to annoy me

I use a knockoff twelve south compass, works great, sets up/tears down in less than a second and stores small. I hear varying things about the current legit model, however.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

I used The Version of Photoshop that was on the device, I know from experience that built in software (i.e. the official drawing apps of the manufacturer) of tablets tend to have amazing latency, it's the same on the surface, where freshpaint is 1:1, so I focused on apps and software that I would ACTUALLY use on my day to day drawing, and it's in that instance that I found the pencil woefully mediocre, add to that the fact that it's 100 dollars extra on the price, it didn't even come close to justifying its extra cost.

I dunno, I'll make another trip to the store at some point to try it out again, but I really wasn't impressed with the overall package. especially that absolutely horrible keyboard. Or maybe since this is your first look at what a pen on a tablet can do, you're impressed by it, as you mentioned you never used a surface, whereas I have so I've already become accustomed to what good tablet drawing feels like for a while now.

The keyboard sucks, but so does every tablet keyboard. Yes, I've used a surface. I'm still going to be using a logitech because while it still sucks it can suck on 3 devices.

The pencil is fantastic. Your issue is with the haptic feedback, so stop acting like your issue is universal and your experience is the one true way. If you were drawing digitally ten years ago this is what the landscape was, so you don't necessarily need or want the feedback you're speaking of, especially since you've got a 1:1 with what you're doing and what's happening on screen--the haptic feedback doesn't need to be a strong thing telling you you're making hard contact with the screen and that's okay. It's also okay that you like the haptic feedback. This is exactly why we need to try these things out, as different people care about importing different parts of the pen-and-paper process. The nice thing is we're at a point where deciding between an ipad pro and surface is like deciding between markers and brushes. They both fairly easily put ink onto paper and both can be used to make the same end result. Before this, the iPad was absolutely something that got between you and your output. Using the iPad pro I didn't need to pause and take an overview after every interaction to make sure it registered properly, it was just there.

^^ as for astropad, not on the pro, but I don't imagine the lag will be shorter than that of any other ipad and the PC, I always figured the bandwidth was the bottleneck there and not processing capabilities.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:lol: counting on Square Enix to have their poo poo in order.

I'm surprised it runs at all

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Frankenfinger posted:

Uh, want to make a hundred bucks? Send me one and I'll paypal you 200. I can't move forward with our project until we have one of those stupid things.

Never mind. Boss doesn't want to try and justify the extra cost. Apparently paying 200 dollars for a 100 dollar thing can get your expense sheets flagged. Stupid Apple distribution methods.

100 is a cheap price for a few weeks productivity, assuming your project actually can't move forward and it's not just some rear end in a top hat who wants an apple pencil holding everything up.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I've got one and VII and they suffer the same thing most apps do these days- they're just upsized apps at this point so yeah, the assets are a bit rough but it's playable.

Mattavist posted:

Does anyone with a Pro have Final Fantasy VI? Want to get it but not gonna drop the cash if it doesn't work on larger screens.

It's also Square, don't expect a fix and you might be pleasantly surprised, but don't expect a fix.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

The 3-fold vs 4-fold smartcover debate is silly and the smartcover works really well. Have you considered smartcover+ rear vinyl skin, rather than having to carry around a sleeve everywhere?

Counterpoint: Different people are different heights with different work surfaces and the stand settings that work for one may not the other. The smart cover is a good idea if you live near an Apple store because they accept returns if it doesn't work out.

I use a cheap rear end sleeve with a pocket from amazon that was 4 bux, the pocket carries my stand/charger/stylus. I don't see how a sleeve is any less/more efficient than a messenger bag or briefcase?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The iPad Thread- We crowdfunded some random goon's Christmas in lieu of letting his parents suffer the indignity of repairing an iPad 2 (it doesn't even have a retinaRetina display!)

P sure they have the same dad.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

pipebomb posted:

Have a contest, gift someone an app for guessing your favorite brand of ramen or whatever.

You cannot gift from store credit.

Haggins posted:

Am I crazy, or can I not split the keyboard in portrait mode on the pro? I could have sworn I was able to when I was playing with a model at the Apple store.

You cannot split the keyboard on pro.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

withak posted:

Theoretically the color correction is supposed to be a function of the ambient light, which changes color starting around sunset if you are outdoors or near a window (this is what f.lux did/does). Apple has marketed it as a thing that helps you sleep though, which depends more on the clock than on the sun.

Yeah, I've always used f.lux desktop to keep from getting headaches from bright lights in the dark hours, the fact that warmer light also helps maintain your sleep cycle is just kinda bonus.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Stefan Prodan posted:

Bought it from Amazon kindle store

I haven't found a way, but am very interested in accomplishing the opposite with some reference materials.

Actually, I just checked and all my books are showing up in that mode now. Looks like it might be an interface update and not a setting you're missing.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

carry on then posted:

I have a feeling the "premium feel" is tech journalism for "it doesn't have the best specs"

The screen isn't laminated to the front glass. That is a huge differentiator between tablets, and it certainly does look a lot cheaper to not have that.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

It appears that a 12.9 Pro is on its way to me. Is ther a best way to remote into a Mac from it? Is there a different best way to remote into other platforms?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I haven't had any real issues on my 12.9", but my iPhone has some stupid issue with audio (for three betas now) but I rarely use audio stuff, so I don't know if it's present on the iPad.

They should be approaching a GM in a couple weeks, in any case.

No app that doesn’t need to be playing audio plays it here on a 12.9”, so I’m assuming something is broken but I’m not complaining. Music works, overcast works, all my lovely video apps work (Protube, a bunch of broadcast channel apps, Hulu, Amazon), videos in safari work, not a single in-app ad plays audio for anything else. It’s awesome

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

bobfather posted:

So am I crazy or did iOS 11 on iPads do away with being able to put widgets in a left column and right column?

This was definitely a feature on an iPad Pro 12.9 on iOS 10. I’m curious as to why it’s missing because now I have to scroll down to see stuff that was visible before.

Why is Apple such a silly company?

Also, I love how on the iPad Pro 12.9 you still swipe up to insert a secondary key (I.e., swipe up on the number 2 to insert the @ symbol), but on all other iPads you now swipe down to insert secondary keys. Super silly of Apple.

1. Yep. No good reason, perhaps they forgot the OS also goes onto iPads?
2. Jony Ive and Eddy Cue given free reign
3. This one isn't a question, but I've never used the on-screen keyboard on the 12.9 enough to notice that. But, not iPad related, I'm super pissed that the extended landscape keyboard is gone from iPhone+s

All in all, this update has been mostly bad UI changes to solve problems that already have better solutions (outside of control center). Jony sucks.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

jawbroken posted:

If it hasn't changed recently then that would usually be what happened for a removed app. However, it sounds like ProTube was pulled for legal reasons (an option when you update or remove an app from the store), in which case they obviously can't continue distributing it.

The Protube developer pulled it willingly himself, if his blog is to be trusted.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Know Such Peace posted:

YouTube was pressuring everybody. Even one of Amazon's echo products can no longer connect to YouTube because of their crackdown. His options were to either remove functionality in an update or pull the app. Pulling the app was the best option for everyone.

If someone in this thread hypothetically had the ipa, could other people who previously bought the app sideload it from iTunes? I'm guessing it wouldn't be that easy, but I thought I'd ask.

No, because iTunes doesn’t manage applications anymore.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

If you have a split view and want an application that is floating to take the place (not swap, simply take) of one of the split apps, drag the top of the floating window to the top of the portion of the screen with the app to be replaced. The same can be done from the dock (drag icon of app to same location and hold for a second) the opposite to turn it back into a floating window is also possible.

And just because I understand it doesn't mean I like it, it sucks and I figured this out in a vain attempt at getting notes and kindle to do split (kindle doesn't split).

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hey thanks for the help!

People have been complaining about the podcasts app since the minute it came out, and every OS revision it some of the minority who found it acceptable for their incredibly limited use cases talk about how some feature was removed making it worse. It's good advice.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

It's all been downhill since they got rid of it!

I thought they kept that longer after removing the skeuomorphism from everything else

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

onesixtwo posted:

I do most of my handwriting in the stock Notes app, you should be able to import documents directly into it using the camera on iOS 11 if i recall correctly? I don't use that feature really, but can also add my recommendation to the Pencil.

You cannot write on top of pdfs in notes.app, but you can write aroundunderneath them in a dedicated handwriting section.

I'm not joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

On iOS 11, anything is possible

Except for running 3 apps on a first gen pro lol