Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

At how many times will Ascetic zones cap out? Is it still posible to use them after that to infinitely respawn then at max level or are items not obtained then gone forever?
You can burn ascetics infinitely. There's a counter for bonfire intensity that'll cap at 99, but you can still use ascetics after that.
The increased difficulty will cap after 7 ascetics though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Tip for those who are waiting for the game to drop in price: Nuuvem stil has Dark Souls II for R$84,99 which equals to €27,30 & $37,85.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Anyone got any tips for parrying? I used to be able to do it pretty reliably in DaS1, but it seems like they completely changed the timing one it.
Is it tied to your Agility stat like rolling?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Guys, why are there dozens of bloodstains underneath Majula near that contraption thingy?:ohdear:

Also how did someone manage to die in the air?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I've doing some jolly co-op and a few times when the summoner entered the boss arena, I got a message saying that the master of the world has left the area and I'm kicked out.
Anyone know what's up with that?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

neetengie posted:

He beat the boss for that section.
:confused: The 3 times this happened was when the summoner when through the Last Giant's foggate. If that foggate is up, then he hasn't beaten that yet right? And as far as I know the only other boss in that area is the Persuer and you need the key the Last Giant drops to access that guy.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
What do I need to look at to determine which casting implement is better?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
If you can't tell the difference between me and the Persuer: DON'T USE THE DAMNED BALLISTAS!
The rudest host so far has been the guy who killed me with the ballista after the Persuer was dead and I was in the middle of my waving-goodby animation.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

Is anybody else having trouble connecting to the multiplayer service(Europe)?
Yep. I guess there's some server maintenance or hiccup.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

The Royal Scrub posted:

So you're basically supposed to play with an Xbox controller?
No, the keyboard & mouse controls aren't the best ever made. But they work. A simple autohotkey script fixes the double-click issue.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

So they dont work.
No, they work. The double-click thing is only an issue if you mash the mouse buttons, which is something you shouldn't be doing anyway.

If you prefer the xbox controler. Good for you.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cart Mountain posted:

That guy is cool
The dick denied me my duty fulfilled message. :argh:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

orange sky posted:

So, I feel like playing this. What's the place with the best price for an EU guy? This could be in the OP btw, it's useful.
Nuuvem has Dark Souls II for R$84,99 which equals to €27,59 & $38,29.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

South American copies are region-locked to South America, IIRC. Do not buy Dark Souls 2 from Nuuvem unless you are in South America.
:confused: I'm in the Netherlands and had no trouble activating a DaS2 key bought from Nuuvem on Steam.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 2, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

This actually gets me quite interested. I've heard some say it is best on the PC. Do most of you use the keyboard and mouse? If it works well with the keyboard and mouse I'll pick it up.
The keyboard & mouse controls work, but will require some fiddling with the settings to get them setup comfortably and an auto-hotkey script to fix the double-click issue that people who button mash have.

Really it just boils down to what you're more comfortable with. You like to use a controler? Use that. You prefer kbam? Use that instead.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 2, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I've noticed some weird issues with locking on as a caster. Enemies can shoot you the moment they pop into view, while you have to be 3 steps away from a guy to lock on because there's a little bump in the path or something.
You can use the binoculars to snipe as a caster.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Is there a Mace-equivalent of the great sword that is not made of wood? Essentially I am looking for something that resembles the basic mace, morning star or hammer. Because fashion.
You mean great hammers?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

So the login servers are down for several hours now, go down again 5 minutes after they are up. Is someone ddosing the service? I wish we had some info.
Dark Souls' servers are fine. The problem seems to be with the steam community service which has been struggling for some time now.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Red Crown posted:

Are people actually playing right now? I'm trying to figure out if the server outage is region specific.
It's not region specific. The problem with logging in seems to be steam's community service making GBS threads itself.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

So from what I'm reading, for Blue Flame to compare to staves as a catalyst, I'd need a staff anyway to buff it with crystal magic weapon.
Can't you get two Blue Flames, enchant one with the other and then go crazy with power stance?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Ohhh that's what makes it so powerful.
I think another factor that might make it a good weapon is that in PvP your opponent won't really be able to tell what you're going to do. Switching from your sword to a staff screams "incomming magic", while with Blue Flame you can throw a Soul Spear out of nowhere.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 4, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

The worst part of Lucatiel is that we can't get her magnificent hat without the stupid mask attached.
They messed up the Snickering Top Hat in DaS like this too. Let me have my beautiful hat for my pretty princess, From! :argh:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Good lord, the Belfry is insane. It's been just two hours since I joined up and I've already got almost 50 chucks.:stare:
I feel a little bad those poor guys who were just trying to get to the boss, but you know... there are chucks to be had.

Also: In the Ruin Sentinels boss arena there's one hidden door that has just an empty little alcove. Am I missing something, or is there really just nothing there?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

There are illusory walls all over that arena.
I found 5 there. But one seems to be just an empty little room while the other 4 have some sort of treasure.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Assuming you have a stable supply of ascetics, there is - in theory - no limit to the amount of times you can force a boss to respawn, right?
Yep. There's a counter for bonfire intensity that caps at 99, but you can continue to use ascetics after that.

The Gorp posted:

correct, but after the 10th time the boss gets no stronger.
Doesn't the increase in enemy strength stop at bonfire intensity 8?

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 7, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

And people keep trying to tell me that hitboxes in this game aren't the brokenest poo poo.
The hitboxes of non-grab attacks are fine. Grab attacks though do tend to have wonky hitboxes that are way too bag. This was an issue in DaS1 as well.

If you're referring to multiplayer where you can get hit by a player two rooms away. That's not a hitbox issue, that's lag.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

DrNutt posted:

So I found some rubbish. Does it do anything in this game?
As far as I know, you can do nothing with it in DaS2. Also if you picked it up from the remains of a wooden chest, it's actually a smashed item. If you need to do check if chests are mimmicks, hit them just once and avoid fighting enemies around them.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Apparently when you try to invade, you're not restricted to the area you're using the red orb in.
I picked up some cracked red orbs in Huntsman's Copse just now and decided to use one because why not? I arrived in an area I haven't been to yet, but what I think was Dragon Shrine. After I returned to my own world after getting my face smashed in by the host and his phantom buddies, I couldn't find my bloodstain anywhere near me.
So are those 10.000 souls I had now on the other side of the gameworld? :psyduck:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Your bloodstain should be wherever you used the orb.
I guess I ran into some sort of glitch then. I used it standing next to the Bridge Approach bonfire and there wasn't a bloodstain there when I returned.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Jamfrost posted:

Could you tell me what the issue is? I'm curious, I've only ever used a pad for this game.
A lot of people report that the mouse buttons have a delay. Pressing the keyboard attack keys has your character respond immediatly, while attacking via the mouse buttons has your character wait fraction of a second before starting the attack animation.
Another, even bigger problem is that in the controls you can assign actions to not only left and right click, but also to double-clicking, holding shift + clicking, etc. If you assign "nothing" to for example double-click, the game will literally interpret this as you wanting to do nothing when it registers a double-click.
So if you mash the mouse button because you panic or just want to chain a lot of attacks, your character will just stand there.

A simple autohotkey script that binds the mouse buttons to the keyboard attack keys fixes both issues.

The Iron Rose posted:

Create an autohotkey script, which can be difficult and annoying but w/e:
Mine is as follows if you want to use it but it'll only work if you have 5 mouse buttons (also I never did figure out how to get the active window thing to work so you'll need to use a hotkey to activate it).

code:
#IfWinActive, ahk_class DarkSouls2 
{

}
You'll probably still want a hotkey that suspends the script in case you want to use the steam overlay.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 8, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

This is pretty much spot on. Almost every Dark Souls player enjoys summoning others, reading messages, watching bloodstains, and seeing the occasion ethereal phantom from some other world pass by for a moment. The audience clearly loves the multiplayer aspects as a whole, it's only the PvP that causes a split.
I like some of the multiplayer aspects. But they're not intergral to my enjoyment of the game. I don't boot up Dark Souls 2 to read messages and watch people get killed in bloodstains.

If your main reason for liking the Souls series is the multiplayer aspects, or even the PvP in particular. That's fine. Good for you. But don't get your panties in a twist when someone likes the game for a different reason.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I just got summoned by someone who was doing a slavedriver gimmick and was constantly whipping me and fellow phantom's rear as we fought the boss. :v:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

WYA posted:

I'm supposed to be to do power stance by holding (Y) but it's not working, even with two daggers.
To enter power stance you need have 1.5x the required stats of your equipped weapons. So if a weapon requires 10 strength to wield one-handed, you'll need at least 15 strength.
Also the weapon types of the two weapons you have equipped need to be compatible, but two daggers work with eachother.

WYA posted:

Also there is a boss on a platform, that comes down on a bird, should I be able to beat it?
That boss is doable at that point if you're good at dodging, but don't worry if you ran away or you died. You'll meet him again soon enough.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 9, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

WYA posted:

Can someone tell me what Praise the Sun means?
It doesn't really mean anything. It's a reference to a phrase from Dark Souls 1 that became something a meme.

Yodzilla posted:

The bridge leading up to Lost Sinner was loving coated in the bloodstains of people just being stupid and falling off. I thought something nasty was waiting for me but nope people are just dumb.
Last time I was there I saw several messages telling people that there's an item ahead and that they should try jumping. I guess a lot of people followed that advice?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Hey From, if you want to make a platformer. That's cool. But please stop making me do jumping puzzles in a game that doesn't have the controls and movement mechanics for that.

Seriously: gently caress the rear end in a top hat who tought it was a funny idea to place an item behind several stupidly precision jumps. Jumps which you don't have the time to properly aim because the platform you're standing on is on fire.
That item better be amazing. (It's going to be something useless like a fading soul, isn't it?)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

Can someone explain this sunbro/bluebro/bellbro stuff to me? I know they're various covenants and such, I just don't understand how PVP works in this game at all.

PvP Covenants:
Bell Keepers: When you're a member of this covenant and are wearing the Bell Keaper's Seal ring, then whenever another player is walking around in the Belfry Luna and Belfry Sol areas, you can get summoned into that player's world. Your goal is to make that player who's tresspassing in the Belfry dead. When you succeed, you're rewarded with a Titanite Chunk.

Brotherhood of Blood: You can use the Cracked Red Eye Orb to invade another player's world as a red phantom. Your goal as a red phantom is to make the player whose world you've invaded dead. When you succeed, you're rewarded with a Token of Spite.
You don't need to be member of this covenant to do this. However when you are, then when you get enough kills you gain rank in this covenant and get rewards. In addition you can use the Tokens of Spite to enter arenas where you can duel other members of this covenant.

Rat King Covenant: When you're a member of this covenant, are wearing the Crest of Rat ring and hanging out in the Grave of Saints or Doors of Pharros areas, then whenever another player enters these areas they can get summoned into your world as a gray phantom.
The gray phantom's goal is to either escape, or kill you. Your goal is to make the gray phantom dead. When you're a ratbro, the enemies in the Grave of Saints and Doors of Pharros as allied to you and hostile to the Gray Phantom. In addition you can use Pharros Lockstones to activate traps in the areas.

Dragon Remnants: When you join up, you get the Dragon Eye. You can use this to place down a soul sign and other players can summon you into their world for a duel. Whoever wins the duel is rewarded with a Dragon Scale, which can be used to gain ranks in the covenant.

Way Of Blue: When you're a member, whenever you're invaded by a red phantom another player that's a member of the Blue Sentinels covenant can come into your world to assist you against the red phantom invader.
Important note: You get ring when you join up, but you don't need to wear it to have Blue Sentinels come assist your.

Blue Sentinels: When you're a member and are wearing the Guardian's Seal ring, then whenever a player that's a member of the Way of the Blue is invaded by a red phantom, you can get summoned into that player's world to assist against the red phantom. Your goal is to make the red phantom dead.
You can use the Cracked Blue Eye Orb to invade another player who has acquired enough sin. Also you can use Tokens of Fidellity to enter arenas and dual other members of this covenant.

Co-op covenant:
Heirs of the Sun: Normally when you use the White Sign Soapstone, your sign and phantom form are white and when you fulfill your duty (by either assisting the host that sommoned you in killing the boss, or by killing enough enemies) you're rewarded with a Token of Fidelity.
When you're a member of this covenant, your sign and phantom form are a gloriously incandescent gold in colour. When you fulfill your duty, both you and the host are rewarded with a Sunlight Medal. You can use these to gain ranks in the covenant.

The last two covenants are not multiplayer related. The Company of Champions makes the game harded and Pilgrims Of Dark gives you acces to an optional boss and some hexes.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 10, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

MadJackMcJack posted:

The downside to that is you can get some dick who summons up two sunbros then summons a red phantom. Cheap as gently caress for the red phantom and probably quite annoying for the sunbros who thought they'd be fighting the Smelter Demon.
Yeah, when the host is invaded I'll help. But when the host summons the red phantom I either black crystal out or cheer the red phantom on.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Jose posted:

What do I need other than the ring from the cat since my HP is crap and falls seem to do fixed damage rather than a percentage
I'm pretty sure it's still percentage based, but of your full, not-hollow lifebar. Also your equipped weight adds to the falldamage, so try juming down in your loincloth.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Is it me, or are are the attacks of the mole-dog things in the Gutter broken? They can damage me even if I stun-lock them or when I clearly dodge their attack.
I guess the game has them already deal damage during the wind up part of the attack animation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are there any guides available for someone just starting out, beyond the OP?
This wiki has an okay writeup for someone completely new to the game and series.
If you have any specific question, feel free to ask them here.