Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FISHMANPET posted:

So just for the hell of it, the wife and I are pondering fleeing the US for Canada or somewhere in Europe. Anyone have any experience with something like that, specifically in IT? I know there are lots of IT jobs in New Zealand, but how does it look in other countries?

Just be warned that Canada's real estate market is blowing a HUGE bubble. No idea when it'll pop or how much it will devastate, but it'll be nasty when it does go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tab8715 posted:

I sort of understand the shellshock bug but what perplexes me is how long it took to figure out. It doesn't seem that wildly complex of a exploit, I have a hard to time believing no one had figured this out before.

Parsing regular expressions is a huge issue. How do you make something that is human readable and flexible yet also machine readable and 100% determinative in intent?

As long as we pass commands AND data as text in the same string, there will be bugs like this (SQL injection is just another flavour of this bug, for instance). I'm not sure there is a global fix, and that we just need to rank code auditing as a much more valuable part of our day to day expenses than it is now.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

Because I don't want to have to walk through getting on the website and have someone read me a meeting ID. And then it locks you down pretty well when you try to go to a website to download a driver or whatever.

I want a big list of computers just like we have where I can get on any of them in one click.

Logmein Central does that, supports unlimited computers, and is only $250 U.S. per year per operator (last time I checked).

You don't get all the client side niceties (whiteboards, for instance) on the free client, but it works, and lets you do privilege elevation for installs and stuff.

LMI produces pre-packaged MSI's that self-configure, you just need to get them installed on your own, they don't offer any push ability.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

101-250 users is $499

We use LogMeIn now. But we have everyone configured as a Pro host which costs extra, we do some special things with the rest of them.

You don't need the pro, which is where all your money is going. I only have 5 pro licenses for some of my really remote users, but free works for my other ~60 users.

I was also sure the free client was unlimited for LMI Central, but I only have about 60 machines, so maybe there is another tier they don't talk about until you get there.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

dogstile posted:

I can't tell if that's aimed at me or not at this point.

It's not, but I do recommend you look for a promotion outside of your company. Politically, once you get passed over once, it weighs against you ever being chosen in future eg "Why wasn't he promoted last time? Somebody must have had a reason, better not promote him this time".

You might eventually get it, but you'll waste a bunch of time at your current company before that happens.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

monster on a stick posted:

How was it (I'm guessing you mean the open plan) great for morale?

You get to see that others, particularly management and executive level, are generally hard at work all day long, which is otherwise very difficult to see.

People are motivated to minimize disruption, so the desk cruisers, sports guys, and gossipers all quickly get stared down, and that gets pushed to non-work hours.

The downside is that it doesn't work for all types of offices. Anywhere people will be on the phone a bunch (sales, technical support) can't do this type of plan successfully.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Race Realists posted:

I live in ATL, my dream job is to get an IT job in Hartsfield Jackson (America's World's busiest airport)

http://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc03/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=ATLGA&cws=1&rid=1790

SIGH... if only.. :smith:

This is a listing designed NOT to lead to hiring. Nobody who has those qualifications will work for that money, and nobody willing to work for that money will be qualified.

The unfilled job will be used to justify whining for more H1-B visas and how America has a STEM crisis. It's just for driving down salaries and labour costs, nothing more.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gothmog1065 posted:

Quick question. Does anyone know of a way to suppress the slmgr -ato dialog box when activating windows in a corporate environment? The network analyst is being lazy (AKA: end of school, slammed here, slammed with whatever class he's taking, seems to be Project Management related), and hasn't updated the images to make the image install completely unattended. The only problem I have with my mini script is the slmgr dialog box causes the script to pause until you close it.

Call it using cscript.exe ( cscript slmgr.vbs /ato )

it will force a command prompt with text output that will self close.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Snowden was a contractor working for the NSA in Hawaii and had a TS clearance. Managed to download a bunch of highly classified documents and then ran for it to Russia. Every now and then he releases a bunch of the documents to remind the world that he's still alive and still has lots of embarrassing material on the US government, such as our global surveillance programs and the cooperation of telecommunication companies in spying on everyone.

I'm going to nitpick this.

He went to hong kong first, and only ended up in Russia after seeking asylum in several other places and having it fall through. He has no sympathies with Russia and should not be portrayed as such.

All the material he gathered was handed over to a group of reporters during their first meeting. Any materials being released today come from this dump, as the reporters sort through it, redact any identifying information, and form a coherent story out of the bits. Snowden is not involved with this process, and no longer has any of the materials. His only current activities are interviews.

If you wish to condemn him for his actions, that's fine, but please make sure they are actions he actually undertook, and not propaganda.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Trauma posted:

Having supported Macs and PCs as long as Macs and PCs have existed this seems like bullshit.

Getting rid of legacy hardware and software reduces support costs? Who could have known. This is more an endorsement of modern management tools (Casper in this case) and the webification of enterprise software than a Mac good Windows bad comparison.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Ohhhh the crap I just pulled on a folder full of installs. Recreated here on some generically named MSIs, but this was a fun "why is every file in the folder called the same thing now?" moment as I realized I'd be piecing that back together.

So I'm looking around in the list of files trying to find the executable it wants me to update, and if I click on any one of them by accident, I RENAME IT! Oh no, its been renamed *nothing*, it was some kind of important system file, and the computer crashes!

Sometimes, ctrl-z can fix this. Windows is very strange about it, though, and sometimes it doesn't.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

Just be a shut in with no friends or family, problem solved.

That's way more suspicious. Without anything to reference against, the risk profile of a person goes UP, not down.

Being a stay at home shut in who never interacted with another person is not trustworthy, because it looks very fake.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Contingency posted:

That was me at 18--the security guy will make fun of you for not having any friends.

Clearance still granted. :smuggo:

18 is okay for that, but have the same background at 25 or 30? Probably a big question mark.

At 40+ and that background? I'd guess instant rejection.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

big money big clit posted:

We've had multiple customers ask us about VMware on AWS. There is interest, believe it or not. Though the pricing is going to be a hurdle, though there are some discounts available.

Do they want some sort of hybrid cloud on-prem+off-prem solution? Are they trying to leverage existing knowledge of the vmware platform and tools? Disaster recovery?

I'm trying to think of a use case that would be cheaper/easier than 'just use/learn aws'.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

If the hardware that your VMware VM is running on fucks itself up, your VM will boot up somewhere else. In AWS/Azure/Google Cloud you will wake up to a notification unless you've done the work yourself to handle deployment of a new VM, loading a configuration etc.

VMware will only restart a VM (or VMs) in the event of host hardware failure if you have the appropriate licensing and have configured your setup correctly (Cluster, HA, Fault Tolerance, or whatever). It's easier to enable this feature on VMware than on most cloud platforms, but there isn't something magical about it. You could probably pay the equivalent of the vmware licensing costs for a product that plugs into AWS and accomplishes the same thing if you don't want to do it yourself.

This is really due to the different mindset of vmware product development vs AWS product development, with different target markets and different end goals.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh my god all the folder permissions for all of our shares are completely hosed, admins have no rights to anything, and every goddamn share has files with pathnames that are too long so I can't just take ownership and apply permissions.

gently caress my life.

Powershell shouldn't have those same path limits (commands are get-acl and set-acl). There is also a GPO/registry setting in Windows 10.1709 to turn that limit off for Windows Explorer (and other applicaitons that use the standard file handling dialogs).

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Trauma posted:

I think it would be funny if this turns into a good thing for me, and all because that one day the old fellow came by when Bill wasn't around and I was nice enough help him even though I didn't really know who he was.

If they are offering equity, it will be your role to identify what needs to be done, convey those needs and the steps and costs to accomplish them to the 'full' partners (effectively the board), hire people to accomplish those steps, manage those hires through the process, and follow-up with progress reports, etc, for the board. You won't be expected to do anything yourself outside of getting people going in any temp office space they use while they select long term office space.

It'll all be soft skills, not hard skills, so don't worry too much about technical qualifications.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

poo poo my IT Director has no problems getting his hands dirty and I respect the hell out of him for that. He’ll climb under desks if needed and we’re not around.

Yeah, and Dick clearly has those skills and will probably end up using them if there is need, but if a job is offering equity then they won't be required as part of getting the job.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

xsf421 posted:

My giant ($10bil+ revenue a year) company is in the process of a "cloud migration" to AWS. Apparently our plan is to treat AWS like an ESXI host. No autoscaling, no health checks, no RDS, just pretending they're on-prem VMs.

Smile and say that's a great idea, and then once things are well underway start a proposal called 'next generation cloud advantage' or some similarly named bullshit and frame the whole thing as what happens now that you have all these cloud tools and how to use them to migrate to a dynamic more flexible lower TCO I.T. process. This type of forklift migration sounds like it was decided as the least risk proposition, which is fine if boring. Once you have a cloud setup, even an archaic one, you can begin to nibble away at modernizing it, because it's easy to sell as a no risk 'step' in using 'the cloud'. If you put yourself forth as a thought leader, it can look very good for you without being disruptive or negative about the current cloud setup choices.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateAccount posted:

MacOS got patched in 10.13.2, and apparently didn't take any performance hit because it handles memory addressing differently?

Nah, this is a bug in how the CPU handles memory, not the operating system. The fix is to have the operating system force the CPU to use a 'slower' way to handle memory. The 'slower' part really only applies to applications that frequently perform very specific types of operations, and those type of applications don't get used on desktops very often. For big cloud providers this is a serious headache, for most people the security patch will have no measurable impact on the performance of their computer.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

stevewm posted:

Oh wow... lol I thought that was a iMac... It looks exactly like one minus the SD card slot.

If you open it up, it exactly is like one as well, just missing the cpu and memory. To do the thunderbolt passthrough with usb breakout turned out to be pretty complex, and there is a lot going on in there.

There's a reason Apple stopped developing them.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Vargatron posted:

Nah bruh, every day is squat day in the gym. It's all going to my rear end though.

Front squats, widen your stance a bit. At the bottom of your rep, concentrate on pushing down on the floor, not up with your hips.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

siggy2021 posted:

I just found out today that the job I'm interviewing for tomorrow requires a week of training in Tel-Aviv, Israel. He Mr. Recruiter, you never thought about bringing that up?

He also keeps calling it a Network Administrator position, but it's actually support for clients. Looks like mostly Firewall stuff. I'm not 100% sold, but if the money is right their dress code is jeans and t-shirt and they work half day Fridays so I might just say gently caress it and go for a ride.

Why do (most) recruiters suck so loving much?

I’m in Tel-Aviv right now on vacation. It’s hot, humid, and sunny.

I highly recommend bringing good sunscreen, they don’t really do that here. SPF 50 or 60. Checked luggage will be no problem for a good sized bottle.

You must bring at least 2 swimsuits, pretty much every beach is amazing and not swimming at every chance is a waste of time.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tab8715 posted:

Using the GUI as a first step is all fine and good. It's still incredibly useful if you're just trying to see something quickly or your looking for some but can't quite remember specifics.

I just wish they'd continued with the effort to have GUI's that produced and ran PowerShell under the hood. I think ADUC* was the only one that made it into general release. You could click through what you wanted to do, then peak at the powershell it was going to run.

* I think it was ADUC, one of the Active Directory management tools.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

ADAC in the RSAT suite does that.

Yeah, it was probably ADAC then. It's been years since I've touched the GUI tools for AD stuff.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

adorai posted:

It was a VMware tools update that made windows think it was a new NIC. I remember that week, total shitstorm on the internet. We wrote a powershell script that would do something to fix it, can't remember what now.

Yeah, the vmware tools installer did an 'update' by first uninstalling the old tools, then installing the new ones. This removed and re-added the nic, so it came in as unconfigured. I was lucky enough to catch it with our test setup, and held off on production until an updated tools package was released in a few months.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CloFan posted:

I'm new to VMware as of last week. Also use static addressing of servers because reasons. I'm guessing that kind of bug would not change the auto-assigned mac address?

Fixing that is on the to do list, but then so is 'move servers off of public address space'

No, the MAC address is set in the config file the hypervisor uses, and the operating system can't change it.

Static or dynamic configuration for servers really depends on what you expect them to do and how they are created. It's not wrong to staticly assign them, it's just the tooling for dynamic configuration is so much better these days that it's kind of foolish not to use it, even if your assignments are reserved. Most services, both client and server, are also much better about accepting changes in IP address as long as DNS is up to date, which greatly narrows the justification for static assignments.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Virigoth posted:

My acquired company into our new company just won this war. We’ve been doing immutable AMIs with packer/ansible for years. We won so hard we’re going from an on-prem company with a cloud solution to a cloud company with on-prem legacy in official wording. The k8s/container people on the other side are still not sure how they aren’t coming out on top. With a well architected cloud-only solution containers just add a layer of unneeded complexity.

I'm going to spin this as good process should always win, and that the underlying technology should enable this process. If a new technology comes along that doesn't enable a better processs for a company, then it's not worth considering. The process should in turn enable company goals, which should enable company growth, etc, etc. Admittedly, 'good process' can be a very nebulous term, but that's a problem with how company management operates, not anything to do with a technology (and something that does not have a technology solution).

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

skipdogg posted:

We're heading in that direction right now. It's been mandated on high that server requests, and as much else as we can be automated through ServiceNow and any other programs we need. Upper management has also dictated Nutanix as our VM Platform of choice (against our advice), so getting all that orchestrated is what we're spending the next year on. I honestly don't see the value, but it's coming down from the highest of on highs, so we'll at least try to do it. There's already half a dozen caveats and issues with using Nutanix. Fun times.

Abandon all hope. I work for a company with >60k employees that is heavily invested in Service Now and uses Nutanix. It's awful. Nutanix supports a bunch of different platforms, and it lets different groups creep their own snowflake stack into the mix as it's "supported" even though it's garbage that the original vendor doesn't even sell anymore.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheFace posted:

HDX/ICA is still a better protocol vs RDP... but we live in a world of cheap bandwidth and the solution to a shittier protocol is more bandwidth so who cares.

Citrix has been banking on their existing customer base for years to get them in other markets. Already have a Netscaler for your Citrix Gateway? Might as well use it for your ADC and/or WAF. Already have a ton of other Citrix poo poo? Might as well use Citrix SD-WAN.

They actually have a pretty decent market share for those markets, which is crazy considering Netscaler sucks as a WAF and their SD-WAN offering is pretty horrific as well.

Random Azure + other company partnership question. A few people at my (current) company are making a big deal out of Azure partnering with VMware to do "VMware in Azure". I literally can't think of a single use case where this makes sense over Azure's normal offerings, at least not for anything we do. Horizon in Azure, just use Azure Virtual Desktops. Server workloads, why not use Azure IaaS. Etc, etc. Maybe a virtual appliance that doesn't have a cloud version yet?
What (if anything) am I missing?

Sickening posted:

Makes hybrid environments a little more streamlined if they are Vmware centric. I also find it silly though.

My take was for DR compliance, and maybe for infrequent capacity needs ( annual reports ). It would be workable and cost effective for both of those, but it’s not a cloud solution in any real way.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DropsySufferer posted:

What does TAM stand for? I tried googling and came up empty.

Technical Account Manager

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's Friday the 13th. Our VPN is down. Chaos reigns.

Wash your hands.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That's every company in the world. No one's getting a raise or promotion anywhere. Just keep your head down and be glad you have a job.

Shock and Awe.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

There's like 3 steps how the gently caress did he turn this into 12 pages.

OH MY GOD SO MANY GRAMMATICAL ERRORS.

It’s not doing something that is important, it’s the appearance and measurability of doing something.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

Microsoft should absolutely start ripping out backward compatibility features from the main Windows release. Have them as optional elements of the LTSC branch if you must, but the devices that people touch every day and go onto the Internet with doesn't need support for an API call that was replaced 15 years ago.

Under the hood, a lot of this work is already done. Most 32bit calls are mapped to their 64bit version by a stub DLL (thunking layer) or API wrapper. The reason MS doesn't make this LTSC only is that there isn't a significant split in need for legacy compatibility between big business and the fishing gear store needing to run their legacy accounting software and POS interface on new hardware.

MS should be using their clout to get these vendors to offer an upgrade path, but every time something in that direction happens, it gets saddled with a million dumb unsustainable requirement (metro, windows store, etc) that MS then abandons. The only thing vendors can count on long term is legacy support, so that's what they use.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gabriel S. posted:

This was only a few years ago. Hopefully things have changed.

Works Hyper-V 2012 clusters prove that wrong.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Maigius posted:

I've been using RDP to log into my (duel screen) work setup remotely. If I had two screens at home, would I be able to get my work computer to display on both screens?

Yes.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey, the March 9th 2021 Win 10 update with install Chromium Edge by default and remove legacy Edge. Good luck everyone.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

With Edge's fancy O365 Plug-ins and whatever management that comes with it there's literally no reason to deploy any other web browser.

I'm probably too stuck in big enterprise, where MS bent over backwards to make Edge work with all the intranet/enterprise apps that had 'requires internet explorer' hard coded into them. Chromium Edge never got the same treatment, and packaging the removal of 'old edge' into a security update is going to catch a lot of people out.

Home users won't even notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DelphiAegis posted:

Someone needs to test teams if it notifies the person you mute who muted them.

It doesn't notify them.

I ruthelessly mute people in meetings I am in, and tell people upfront I will be doing that. So far, I've muted my boss and my bosses boss without them commenting on it. My bosses bosses boss mutes themselves all the time, so I haven't done it to them yet. :)