Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

DarkJC posted:

I'm really not a fan of the Samsung method either, it feels just as hacky. But I don't really have a better solution for the problem.

The solution is easy, don't make the phone ridiculously huge. If they announced Reachability as an Android feature a month ago everyone would have laughed at how stupid it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Don't forget that if you plan to upgrade every other year AppleCare+ will net you a small premium when selling your phone at the one year/11 months mark.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Bird Law posted:

I tried to use Apple Pay at Pantera Bread

I wish we had a chain of Pantera-themed bakeries in Canada. Cowboy Flatbread From Hell. Far Beyond Danish. Frenchbread Hostile.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

ScarletBrother posted:

I would go to Pantera Bread every day. Reinventing the Souffle.

Forget the Apple Watch, Tim needs to get on this ASAP.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Jose Oquendo posted:

What do you all do to your cables? I have a few lightning cables I bought when the iPhone 5 came out and they are still in great condition.

All my Apple cables are still in almost new condition too, but I don't plug my iPad in and swing it around over my head by the cable pretending I'm a cowboy either.

Most people treat their electronics horribly. That Otterboxes are a thing is hilarious.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

noirstronaut posted:

How do y'all manage to use a cable incorrectly

They're holding it wrong of course.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I wonder if it's environment related, east coast here. No damage ever.

West coast here, all my cords look brand new. Must be a southern thing. :banjo:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Goddammit Apple, when I intentionally break my things why do they end up broken? :argh:

This wouldn't have happened under Steve.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Bird Law posted:

Hey guys maybe I should get the Thunder (tm) Lightning Cord Protector to go on my 16GB iPhone with the Otterbox and screen cover?

Even better, check out this guy and his sweet Lightning cable spring mod video!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VCIo8xGTUX0

All you need is a Lightning cable and two springs from pens.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

IllegallySober posted:

Good argument. I was going to get a 6 but decided to try the 6 Plus. Picking it up tonight and we will see how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

Don't forget to buy the comically oversized jorts to carry your ridiculous jumbophone in.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Anyone else getting weird cursor jumps while typing? On my 5s I'll be typing and the cursor will bounce into the middle of a block of quoted text/email I'm replying to. In another app while typing I get booted to YouTube which I'm guessing is iOS registering my typing as clicking the ad bar covered by the keyboard.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Josh Lyman posted:

This is in fact the best option

The best iPhone case.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

seriously tho the only reason i use a case is cause the iphone is slippery as gently caress without one, to the point where i've dropped it on my face more than once using it caseless in bed

As much as I was a proponent of caseless with AppleCare+ for the 5s I might try out one of those Apple leather ones when I get the 6s. When trying the 6 in stores I found it didn't grip as solidly as the 5s between the size increase and the rounded edges. Seems a lot easier to drop.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Michael Scott posted:

How do you fit the 6S+ gigantaphone into your pocket? I'm considering it but I'm still suspicious of its size.

I just switched to the 6s slightly-less-huge size last week and it feels too big coming from a 5s. The 6s+ would be monstrous. The 6s is really uncomfortable to use the top of the screen on and the it feels awkwardly large in my pocket without a case.

I'm adjusting, but it's not great. They really need to offer a smaller screen option with the 7.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Pivo posted:

Tap but don't push the Home button twice with a TouchID finger

Yeah squishing the screen works, it's just super clunky.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Pivo posted:

You know when you're drunk and you accidentally put your phone in the same pocket as your keys and then you get too friendly with a wall?

Pretty much stuff like that. I don't know how the scratches appear, but they do.

I don't think I've ever been drunk enough to mix my keys and phone before grindfucking a wall with them before. Most people black out before poo poo gets that weird.

Although screen protectors in TYOOL2015 are even weirder.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Tab8715 posted:

So...

The 5SE is basically the iPhone 6S Internals in 4" form factor.

Why shouldn't I buy this?

Because you just bought a 6s in December and ohgodIreallyshouldn'tsellitandbuythesuperioriPhone. 3D Touch is pretty much a worthless gimmick, and the smaller form factor is waaaaaaaaay more comfortable for using one-handed on the bus/at the grocery store/etc.

I don't think I can talk myself into selling my 6s and spending the extra cash to upgrade to a SE, but if the 7 gets a similar treatment I'll bail on the hugephone in a heartbeat. Large phones suck.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

fourwood posted:

I gotta say... I think I still would rather have my 6S than an SE, but... having an SE and $250 is really tempting. We'll see how the 4" models shake out in the next couple years when it's upgrade time.

I'm so tempted to try and sell my 6s and replace it with the SE, trying to remain strong but having a normal sized phone again would be so nice. Having switched to the 6s from the 5s last December the 6s is just plain too big. It's awkward as hell to use.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

dexter6 posted:

I'm confused about the iPhone product line now. I get the SE. Who is the 6/6+ targeted at now?

He finds the 6 comfortable, but even he finds the 6+ a little too big.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

ethanol posted:

The 6s is the perfect size

The 6s is too big, I regret buying it in December. I'd have been way happier going from a 5s to a 6SE.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The iPhone 7 is going to be the sexiest phone ever made and I'm going to buy it (and the Brown Leather Case) day 1 and make fun of everyone with a silly SE. It's going to be pretty great.

A 6SE sized 7 would be the best thing ever.

dik-dik posted:

Assuming it's in decent shape you could sell your 6S and by an SE. Apparently Walmart is selling them for $300.

I'm really tempted. It's a hassle selling/buying a new one, but having a normal sized phone again would be very nice.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

dik-dik posted:

Just sell it on Swappa. I've used them a few times (both buying and selling) and it's really not that bad. Also fyi it's just called SE not 6SE.

I'm sure that's going to last.

Posted from The New iPad.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

6S+ still suiting my needs.

If only they made other things to suit your needs.

It must be rough.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Android phones come with more clocks than sexual partners.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

yamdankee posted:

Also what do you guys usually say when people notice your naked iPhone

The best case is AppleCare+.

That said the poor design of the 6s/6s+ makes a case a more justifiable decision than any previous iPhone. Hugephones are dumb.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Lazyhound posted:

Side side note:
Lumia 635, back pocket, constantly sat on for a month because $40 from Amazon: NOT BENT.

That's a marketing slogan if I've ever seen one.

"Lumia 635, the phone for discerning buyers who want to cram their phone up their rear end"

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Ojjeorago posted:

Next year will have the iPhone X-2, which will have a great battle system but horrible story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Thwomp posted:

Animoji - an iPhone X-exclusive feature where it works like Snapchat filters to create animated emojis based on your face and voice that you then send to others.

This sounds super creepy and weird.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

triple sulk posted:

A vast majority of people will buy the 8/8+ and still have the second best phone on the market.

"It's the second best iPhone we've ever made and we think you're going to love it." Hell of a marketing pitch.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm ok with the 8 being the 5s of this form factor, the peak before they move on to something new. The X seems janky as gently caress like the one port MacBook. It'll be at least a revision or two till they get it right.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So um... I'm feeling pretty good about going with the iPhone 8 right about now. :stare:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/14/iphone-x-notch/

That's hideous. Everything about the notch looks janky and awful.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I was worried the iPhone X would outshine the 8 and I'd feel like I was getting "the second best iPhone" ever made. After seeing it the X feels like both the worse phone and the more expensive phone. It's the single port MacBook all over again.

I get what they were striving for, but it needs to go back in the oven for year or two.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yep, silver iPhone 8 64gb preorder placed through the app. No hassles, estimated delivery next Friday!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Now it's time for accessory shopping! Buying a couple Spigen ultra slim bumper cases cause of how much I love the one on my 6s.

What's the best option for a Qi charging mat?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

.Z. posted:

Somehow I don't think Apple is ever going to do a plastic backed phone again.

Of course not. If they did they'd have Jony Ive talking about the beautiful cutting edge plastuminium that Apple "invented" and how it's the most beautiful substance in this dimension.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Pivo posted:

idk man I think these people are crazy, the notch only looks like poo poo in landscape, and who uses iPhone in landscape?

Tons of popular games run in landscape and often videos are best viewed in landscape. Outside of games I rarely switch to landscape, but it's hardly ridiculous people would want their $1319 CAD phone to not look ridiculous in landscape.

The notch is Sarnsung level amateur hour bullshit.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Pivo posted:

I'm not saying Apple is going to nail this one and everything will be perfect. The price is stupid, TouchID worked too well to just get rid of, FaceID is an unknown. I'm just saying the notch hate is probably less important than we think it is.

I'm sure the notch hate is a bit exaggerated by what an echo chamber the internet tends to be, but at that price it's not unreasonable to expect a device without all the compromises you describe. $999 in the US doesn't sound half as bad as $1319 in Canada. That price point is cringeworthy for a phone.

On some level I think Apple might be hurt by making the iPhone 8 as good as it is. I expected a better processor in the X for one. It feels like the 8 gets most of the major features without the compromises and at an easier to stomach price.

That said I'm sure they'll still sell a gazillion iPhone X and 8s.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Bring back the bumpers!!!

That way the new phones can sit level on a desk despite the dumb camera bump.

Okay, I want a bumper case for the X.

I love my Spigen hybrid case on my iPhone 6s! I've been pretty anti-case for years, but it's just a bumper with a thin clear plastic back. Makes it sit flat despite the camera wart, gives a tiny lip if I put the phone face down. Very much worth :10bux:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yup I’ve used spigen hybrids for years now and love them. I drop my phone like once a year and don’t let my kids touch it, so I really have no use for anything bulkier.

My only gripe is the new ones appear to have done away with the shiny chrome buttons in favor of black on the black bumper model/clear on the clear bumper model. The chrome buttons looked really nice.

Edit: Looks like the 8 is well on it's way to becoming the 4S/5S of it's generation, that model people cling to years past it's time because the newer models cut features they love.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Are there any changes to Switch Control in iOS 11? I use it a lot to macro stuff in dumb phone games.