Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

~Coxy posted:

Anker's expensive(r) cables are their "PowerCore" branded ones which is a fancy way of saying they use thicker copper conductors on the power rails so in theory you are meant to charge at 2.4A even with a long lightning cable.

Huh, why would type of cable matter in this case? I have an AmazonBasics 6ft whatever lightning cable and I'm pretty sure I have no problem charging at 2.4A unless I'm mistaken. Keep in mind 2.4A is not the fastest that iPhone 11 is capable of taking.

However the 11 Pro comes with a USB-C to lightning cable that's pretty short, haven't found a longer one for the fastest type of charging.

Separate but related -- there are too many specs out there now, 'fast charging' has lost a lot of meaning and can indicate different things.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

endlessmonotony posted:

Shittier cables just can't do it. AmazonBasics tend to be at least sorta okay for construction.

They can't? I'm trying to find a reason to doubt that I can find the crappiest crap USB-to-lightning cable, plug into a 2.4A charger and my iPhone 11 Pro, and have it work fine forever. I'm talking connector construction notwithstanding, since physical failure (fraying) would not be tied to current.

If what you were saying was true I would expect a ton more cable failures from overcurrent, but I've never seen it.

I'm being pedantic I acknowledge :)

Endless Mike posted:

lol why aren't you using a password manager?

Please everybody use LastPass, it's wonderful. One of the best decisions I've made in my boring life.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 8, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Neurophonic posted:

It’s basic physics. The cable cross sectional area should be 0.5mm for 2.4A current carrying capability, especially for cable lengths of 1m or more.

A typical charging cable will be 0.25mm which is 0.5A capable.

This is more of an issue for low voltage DC applications like the 5v USB standards.

So does that mean if I try to 2.4A charge with a .25mm cable, it will charge but at a lower amperage, and I'd never know it?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Nairbo posted:

I switched to an iPhone a few days ago after 8 years of Android and I quite like this 11 Pro. I genuinely don't understand why people say it's easier to use than Android but perhaps that's just years of getting used to something else. I find myself using more Google apps on this than the Apple apps (Google Maps because Yelp reviews are even more poo poo in Canada) but it's nice to see how much more polished social media apps like Instagram are vs on Android.

This is a hell of an adjustment but god drat the 11 Pro in Midnight Green is pretty with a sleek case (Caseology Skyfall in Midnight Green) I am in love with the design. It was also so nice to have a tempered glass screen protector that wasn't a complete nightmare to install - curved screens look and feel great but seeing how easily this thing scratches it was a no brainer.

I'll still never buy AirPods because I think they look ridiculous but here I am looking at Apple Watches now. god help me.

Good move not using Apple Maps. The single advantage it has over GMaps or others is Siri integration -- that's it. Otherwise it's worthless. Yes it's gotten better since launch blah blah it's still garbage. I don't think you need a screen protector at all but the debate is endless.

Enjoy your 11 Pro!

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 10, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I guess add that to the long list of great UX additions that are both unintuitive and undocumented, so the only way to find them is word-of-mouth.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Bum the Sad posted:

It looks like it's entirely separate, and doesn't force AppleCare+ into the purchase. You also don't get the 12 month trade it in and upgrade and pretend the whole thing never existed either. I mean you can obviously still trade it in but for an undetermined sum which is likely less than you still owe on the phone.

I think this is still true -- one caveat is you can't decline AppleCare at time of AUP purchase then add it in 30 days like you can with a normal one. I just included AppleCare even though it's likely a waste.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

silence_kit posted:

Oops I dropped my monster phone for my magnum dong

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The iPhone Thread: Oops I dropped my monster phone for my magnum dong

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I use Google Photos -- I never touch iCloud photos. If I need photo(s) from my phone for anything on my PC I open up GPhotos, tap a buttan and it's done in 15 seconds if it wasn't already done automatically.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Rick posted:

I had this happen once and deleting and reinstalling the app fixed it.

Good idea, I'm going to try this for Teams since it's sucked with notifications lately. Hope I don't have to reinstall the stupid management profile.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

willroc7 posted:

I tried to replace the battery in my OG SE and it seems I bricked the device. I did end up having to pry quite a bit to get the old battery out. Is there anything I can try before I recycle this bitch?

Sorry man. Maybe genius bar will fiddle with the innards of your device for free as part of the diagnostic to see if they spot something wrong? I don't imagine a DIY repair would disqualify from them trying to help you out but not sure on that.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

What’s the reason for switching from AM? I’m considering it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

That happens frequently to me. My solution is to turn WiFi 'off' using the control center button. The cause has been hanging on to bad hotspots in a dense hotspot area, which throws off GPS. iPhone supplements GPS data with WiFi based location data to maximize accuracy. Have you tried that?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Is there a brand of tempered glass that will actually stick fully to the screen of my new SE? The curved screen has left a ring around the edges where the flat protector won’t adhere and it’s very distracting not to mention I’m sure it will be stuffed full of lint and dust after a month of pocket time.

You don't need a tempered screen protector. :v:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I'm an odd duckling with the leather cases. I like them too much, but I also have a small handful of whoopsie daisy accidents in a given year and drop my phone a couple feet down onto concrete and asphalt. This tends to deeply permanently gouge the case which looks and feels bad, but I get a new one when I replace the phone :v: one time I replaced the case before the phone because it was so gouged.

The form factor is never the same anyway.

drat the leather cases are perfect though. I know you all like Saddle Brown but try Black sometime. It's a game changer.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Rinkles posted:

did it protect the screen?

Yes!! It's landed face up and face down (this has happened maybe 5 or so times hard onto concrete or asphalt, the most common cause is me being distracted while putting it in my pocket and missing, or my arm is swinging and my phone catches on my jeans..), zero screen damage so far without any protector.

My lifestyle is pretty boring though, if I was a lot more active or around hazardous places I may have a more protective case.

I'm in general not very clumsy but I use my phone a lot so it's bound to fall a few times, unless you're really skilled at being protective.

Rinkles posted:

Ain't no SE2 compatible saddle brown leather case, at least on apple.com. (also i thought they were a bit cheaper. $50 is quite a bit)

Yes I felt extremely stupid paying $50 for a case -- but it was worth it IMHO. Hugely overpriced and gigantic industry leading profit margins nonetheless.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 11, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

xzzy posted:

An Apple watch is what I used. :v:

I'm with you xzzy. I fall asleep easier when I take bullshit off my wrist, I know the feeling.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

It also has to do with your specific year and car model and how that system works. It's all very specific and annoying, which ties into why BT is a frustrating standard. But it's unlikely to change in the next few years.

A good way to fix it is to make sure you have a new car :v: they're tested pretty well these days to work with the flagship phones. A few years ago, not so much.

I have a car that's a few years old and gave up trying to make BT navi directions work properly so I go without now and just rely on the visual, but I realize that's difficult for other folks and also probably less safe.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 18, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Boris Galerkin posted:

I rebooted.

Siri still responds, but it doesn’t respond vocally. Kinda like if you activated Siri with the power button.

Apparently this isn’t an isolated issue. I’ve seen some posts on the Apple forums and reddit with the same issue, all having 13.5.1 in common. The only fix that works for me is changing Siri’s voice to something else. Weird bug.

I have an even weirder bug, Siri says one thing wrong, "A.M." as "ame". I'm sure it's one of those dumb things that a full wipe would fix but I'm too lazy to try.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do they use AM/PM in the region your phone is set in?

Yeah I'm in the US.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Imagine not almost immediately uploading photos to Google Photos for free so you have an instant backup. What a life that would be.

I'm just being smarmy though I'm not installing the PB

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I just realized, why the gently caress didn't the US federal government pay for a national implementation of the tracker app? It seems like it would cost pennies compared to other federal prevention and treatment efforts and have significant life-saving benefits that would outweigh those costs. In addition to significant cost savings from states paying separately for largely identical implementations. Wtf?

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 14, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Endless Mike posted:

Yall jinxed my AirPods Pro. :mad:

I hereby curse your phone with a thousand UI shortcuts that will make your life easy, but that you will never be able to figure out.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Rinkles posted:

Don't cheap out on your screen protectors. I applied mine five days ago, haven't dropped the phone once and yet somehow there's already a slight crack.

It was $5 down from $10. Brand probably matters as much as price. This was a generic Brookstone one.

Weekly thread reminder that unless you have a lifestyle significantly different from the boring sedentary median that regularly puts your phone in harm's way/around sharp metal, screen protectors do almost nothing.

I'm a car guy so a decent analogy is the useless things car dealers will sell you, like VIN etching or nitrogen filled tires.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

SeANMcBAY posted:

My 8 was the only iPhone I’ve had to get some minor scratches and it was the longes one I owned and I was pretty rough with it. I plan on getting a protector for the first time for my 12 just to protect the oleophobic coating.

This is hilarious. You're buying a protector to protect the fingerprint coating which will never touch fingerprints??

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I'm a long term protector-less user and I've never noticed the glass changing appearance in terms of attracting fingerprints over the lifetime of a phone. I bet 99+% of others would agree too.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 21, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Come on we need more opinions!! :D

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Rick posted:

Honestly if I didn’t pop so many tires I would love nitrogen so I didn’t have to deal with all the pressure fluctuation refills during monsoon season.

I think you might need better tires. My climate changes from ~90F in the warmer months to ~10F in the winter and I've never had pressure vary enough in several years to trip TPMS, so no more than a couple PSI. Or maybe I need to check more, since air temperature should change PSI regardless of tire.

Additionally, nitrogen filled tires do not vary less in PSI with temperature change than air filled ones. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=191#:~:text=Nitrogen%20is%20a%20gas%20and,change%20the%20laws%20of%20physics.

quote:

Nitrogen is a gas and is still affected by changes in ambient temperature (about one psi for every 10° Fahrenheit). Nitrogen filled tires will require pressure be added during the fall/winter months as ambient temperatures and tire pressures drop. Nitrogen is good but can't change the laws of physics.

Don't mess with King Pedant, good night.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 22, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

keevo posted:

I was about to ask about this. I noticed when the mask thing first started that my phone couldn’t unlock itself with Face ID while I was wearing a mask. Now my phone can recognize my face now while I’m wearing the same mask. Did something change in iOS or Face ID?

No. I'm skeptical of this... that shouldn't be happening.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I mean I'm skeptical of Face ID improperly authenticating on any one rando phone, that would be an issue to say the least. Are you really sure that's what's happening?

I'm guessing the fail condition for a broken sensor is to not allow you in, which is why that's confusing.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

FCKGW posted:

I buy iPhones because I just can't bring myself to buy a phone from an advertising company, sorry!

:goonsay: https://searchads.apple.com/

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Housh posted:

What's everyone's favourite Hue app? I have been using OnSwitch for a while but I'm thinking of trying iConnectHue.

OnSwitch and the official app are the only ones I've used. Shame there aren't better ones.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Anyone getting weird Apple Music issues? Songs not playing or starting then stopping, happening on WiFi and cellular after hard reboots and resetting network settings :confused:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Apple removed the playlist updated date from AM playlists probably to hide the fact of how infrequently they’re updated. What’s the comparison to paid Spotify these days, anyone like Spotify better?

I like professional curation so much I’ve stopped having a real music collection and rely on these playlists, have resigned myself to paying a fee for life I guess.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zero One posted:

I just checked and most of them listed when they were last updated. There were a couple missing but at least 90% were updated in the last week.

Oh interesting, maybe they took it out when the date is past a certain point.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

PEN15 is exactly what you should be getting, you're doing great.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

xzzy posted:

Apple basically refuses to admit any other company exists so I'm not sure they would care. To them 5G is new and therefore it's the most ADVANCED IPHONE EVER.

Those phrases are always hilarious. Like, why wouldn't it be the fastest / most advanced iPhone to date? Why would they move backwards? Yet those phrases show up in every keynote. The SHEEPLE eat that poo poo up.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

No event thread today?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

prom candy posted:

I've never had Face ID before but I use my phone when I'm kayaking a lot and when my fingers are wet Touch ID doesn't work too well. Also at the end of a good fishing weekend when my thumb is mangled from handling bass. And of course when my fingers are covered in Dorito dust. So for these reasons I'm kinda looking forward to Face ID.

Out of curiosity what about handling bass mangles the fingers? I've never really fished in my life :shrug: just wet?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

xzzy posted:

It's a cool tech gimmick that's ultimately useless and only works in apps that have specifically updated to support it. I only got it to work with apple's TV app, but that was when the feature was enabled and I haven't kept up on if anyone else updated their apps to support it.

Nope, it will be a basically dead feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I know we've gotten a lot of 'should I upgrade' posts so far, I figure I'd pose the question too for my dilemma. I'm on the upgrade program so it's not a big stretch, but I don't want to lock myself into a new phone if it's really marginal and edge case benefits.

iPhone 11 Pro -> iPhone 12 Pro. Worth it or skip this year? Any major pros?

I'm not seeing much. Marginally better camera and LIDAR, marginally bigger screen?

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 23, 2020