Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

:scotland:.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Welp.
When people inquired about how he'd like his body treatmented after death Diogenes is said to have asked for a stick to beat off the scavenging animals.

His point was that being dead his body was forfeit and he didn't care what happened to it.

That's a good way to get haunted by ghosts :ghost:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

In Sweden you can pretty much looks up anyone by name, publicly.

And here I was under the impression that privacy was big in Sweden. Does Sweden have the right to be forgotten like they do in, say, Spain?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I think it's one of my favorite city names along with Heroica Matamoros in Mexico (Heroic Moor Slayer). Named after the patron saint of Spain, Santiago Matamoros. There's actually a bunch of towns named after him

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Most of the Mexican “Matamoros“ are named after this guy, hero of Mexican independence, and not directly for the saint.

I lived in Mexico for years and I literally never realize that the city was named after the man and not the saint. Learn something new everyday, it's what I get for rarely leaving Mexico City.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Reality as written by coked up 1980s Stephen King.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Chinese food safety is like a never-ending collection of :stare:. There was a scandal in Guangxi where customs officials found people trying to smuggle in meat from the 70s.

Edit: corrected the facts

Don Gato has a new favorite as of 11:11 on Nov 8, 2018

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

Reminds me of this apocraphal story about a guy fresh out of the air force who thought cruise control equaled autopilot. Got in the back of his minivan and started drinking

Fake, there's no way that guy waited until he was out of the air force before he tried that trick.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

u sp33k l33t br0 posted:

Is soup a sandwich?

Only if it's served in a bread bowl, you philistine

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

It's pretty rude that it's called New Mexico when it is right next to old Mexico. It isn't even on a different continent.

Look we stole a lot of territory that war and we're already having trouble thinking of names for the parts people lived in. We didn't expect anyone actually wanted to live in a desert.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

As someone who lived in Vermont, I approve. Using any means necessary to escape the state is a necessary human right

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

What is illegal about jumping out of a pickup bed?

Unless you're in a third world country or Hawaii you're not supposed to ride in the truck bed. I assume that law applies equally to deer and people.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Nottherealaborn posted:

In Wisconsin you can ride in truck beds under a certain speed limit and not on the highway. I guess I assumed other states are similar

Huh, I thought it was illegal everywhere in the US since no matter where I lived no one I knew did that.

I moved to Hawaii recently and the fact that you can not only ride in the bed but can ride on the highway was super weird but as this

Shows, Hawaii is super weird in general.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

I just wear hawaiian shirts, jorts and socks with sandals everywhere.

So you've been to a Hawaiian job interview as well?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Just add lime and some cilantro, that way there are greens and fruits

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

AlbieQuirky posted:

I feel like Batman would do a better job of dealing with the whole Brexit nonsense than almost anybody.

I feel like an issue of Batman taped to a desk would do a better job of brexit at this point

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

What a lovely way to go.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Zelda has been trying to warn me for years but I didn't listen until now

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

You've got more dangerous stuff in north america. Like 'bears'. From what I understand they're basically like land crocodiles - enormous armoured hulks that will chase you down and eat you, except they could be anywhere instead of staying near water.

You're confusing bears with moose, a common misconception. They don't eat you, but they also don't hibernate for winter and I'd rather test my luck with the bear than north America's goofy looking fluffy tank.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's only driven away the Fox News viewers. The hateful educated pieces of poo poo who manipulate Americans into believing Fox News poo poo all tune in to public radio and TV because it's the only thing broadcasting specifically to educated people. Politics aside, people love classical music and spoken-word short fiction.

Not even always educated. There was a woman who would call us every morning for about six months to complain about how we were biased and hated white people. If there was a single minority on the show, or a story about minority issues, she was calling. One time she called us "n*-lovers" but without the self-censorship. It never occurred to her to just not tune in.

This might be a weird question but do you have more stories of working in public radio? Most of my exposure to it comes from it being my mom's favorite thing to listen to for basically as long as I can remember so I legit had no idea it could get so... Heated. I'd definitely read a thread about that kind of thing.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Scathach posted:

So how long before some black 18yo that's having sex with his 17yo girlfriend gets sterilized? Or some black guy nude in his own house is reported by a neighbor and sterilized? Because I feel like that's what this is gonna become.

They've already got a list of literally everytime that's happened the past few years because Alabama.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

And, again, he's OT III, so he can probably fire off a respectably-sized kamehameha.

High levels also give you access to perfect recall of all your past lives, so Tom Cruise potentially has millennia of martial arts experience across multiple planets to call on. You go in there expecting a straight boxing fight and he busts out the same moves Xenu used to break the Psychlo's King during the First Voltar War.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Eh, if the Romans did it, then it can't be all bad :hist101:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Viral marketing for the new Cats movie is getting intense.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

The fool, your supposed to toss car batteries into the ocean, not fridges over cliffs. One is illegal and the other is the greatest natural and legal high known to man.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Blue Moonlight posted:

I like how the article describes how the law came about, but makes no effort to explain how or why a town came to cherish the tradition of lowering an opossum in a plastic box to ring in the new year.

Tradition is peer pressure from dead people, no one knows how it started but by God they're gonna keep doing it

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

Korea being a former Japanese colony

I see that you too have been talking to my grandparents.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of Asia really hates Japan for the war crimes spree in WW2 but Japan had been conquering Korea and brutally suppressing its culture and language a lot longer than that. There's a lot of Korean descended people in Japan who still aren't considered Japanese citizens, iirc.

My grandma literally referred to Taiwan and Korea as The Colonies until the day she died. I had to unlearn a lot of negative stereotypes about basically all Asians and the wrong kind of Japanese as a result

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

Gotta be a mod, the dolphins are an Allied unit.

You're just parsing the headline wrong, they're dolphins that kill communists, not communist dolphins who happen to kill.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

artsy fartsy posted:

Guys I have an amazing idea--hover shoes for dogs.

Wait what thread is this again

Add an app and you can retire on what the venture capitalists shove into your company.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

That seal looks like he's having a great time though, like he looks more chill than I ever have been. Maybe we all should start shoving eels up our noses, that's the true secret to eternal happiness

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

The USA has deported a vet who toured the middle east in the last 6 months.

Thus proving we're in the worst timeline because even a fascist hellscape managed to clear that low bar.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Radio Paranoia posted:

Biblical names have always been pretty popular within certain circles. I ran into a Naphthali the other day, cut from the same cloth if I"m not mistaken.

US President Warren Harding's middle name was Gamaliel which while being biblical, sounds like an elf that got lost on his way to Rivendell.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

So Dolly Parton is responsible for Joss Whedons success?

Look, not everyone can be perfect. She lost a Dolly Parton lookalike contest as well, but we don't hold that against her.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Now I know the aliens are just loving with us, they're not even trying to hide anymore.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

The reverse of this was the catalyst of 28 Days Later, the monkeys are just imitating art.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Melaneus posted:

...that picture is an Aztec calendar isn't it.

Like they realize the aztecs and maya are two totally different cultures with unrelated languages. I'd be surprised if they even realize that there was more than one culture across the entirety of mesoamérica.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
God forgot that He had chosen to play this game in ironman mode and so it autosaved in one slot. Also His PC is kind of crap so He's afraid to force quit because it might cause the whole PC to lock up and that'll take forever to fix.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
My mom and I used Ancestry to take a DNA test and while the results were not surprising at all (both sides are relatively recent immigrants), it was helpful to dig through the massive archives they had to keep track of where my dad's side of the family went after being released from Manzanar, as well as being way easier to dig through the records of multiple states at once. The actual DNA test was more like an afterthought that helped me link together the work other family members had already done so we could make an absolutely massive family tree. Was a fun family project during quarantine.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

The General posted:

I'm honestly just impressed that it took Nascar no time at all to call in the FBI. I was expecting the usual "We did an investigation. We found nothing." companies do.

NASCAR also banned the Confederate flag at their events and changed the rules so you weren't required to stand during the national anthem. Even if it's driven by profit, it's more than what the NFL did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

This week, one hundred and eighty‐six employees tested positive for the novel coronavirus at one Amazon facility.

Does that put them ahead or behind Tesla, this is an important question.