Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, manual save and reload is the only way. In fact, the only way to actually avoid the civil war is to elect Curtis, negotiate with Reed and assassinate Long - with any other option, the civil war will kick off, and if you elected either Long or Reed, they will with 100% accuracy get kicked out by MacArthur.

I'm definitely going to try this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Trying to get the Reign of the Ancients mod installed for EU:Rome but it always crashed during startup, can anyone give a step-by-step instruction on what to do? All of the explanations I found were rather vague.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

the new order for hoi4 guys are already making vicky 3

Despite finding the subject matter very questionable I can't be more excited for this mod.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Party In My Diapee posted:

The problem is that losing the civil war means game over.

One of my fondest memories of a (modded) EU:Rome was when I conquered southern Italy, Greece and the Anatolian coastline as Pyrrhus of Epirus. Shortly after he died of old age his successor (I believe a grandson) also died leaving the throne to his mediocre brother. Pyrrhus' top general took the opportunity to try and take control of the kingdom and after a long and bloody war I had to concede defeat leaving me with a new dynasty with a new ruler with god-like stats.

EU:Rome had a lot of issues but that game was one of my favourite Paradox game runs ever.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

this games byzantine will probably be restoring alexanders borders as Macedonia

I'm pretty sure the Argead Empire is a creatable title.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what’s the game where you have to decide as a Wehrmacht general how much to help the SS with it determining if you got hung at Nuremberg at the end?

Because you should just have that launch when the player selects Germany

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Minenfeld! posted:

What in the flying gently caress is that thread? Why do these games make people so angry?

Paradoxplaza has always been a very strange place. People have been predicting the downfall of the company since day one. Every single game that they have ever announced will have those kinds of people crawling out of the woodworks.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Reveilled posted:

I've realised I can't read any of these names without hearing them in the voice of the History of Byzantium guy now.

aRRRRRRmeniakon.

Jack2142 posted:

I can't wait to play as Nicephorus Phokas or John Tsmiskes.

I wonder how they'll handle the Byzantine Empire in 936, with Constantine VII being sidelined by Romanos Lekapenos who held actual power as senior emperor. He's one of my favourite historical figures so I'm very excited to see how Paradox handles it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Jazerus posted:

people seem to be very sick of this, and paradox's own success has made these early releases even more detrimental to a new game's success. why would i pay to play a beta when there are several other paradox games that are fully fleshed out from years of development and which i already own?

the game studio is as good as ever but the business side of paradox mostly seems interested in becoming a major publisher by emulating the major publishers' practices toward their studios

Tbf this was also Paradox's MO before CK2. That game and EU4 were pretty much exceptions when it came to stable releases.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

YF-23 posted:

By the way, have the people in this thread that want EU4 to be more of a simulation been paying any attention to MEIOU & Taxes? Because all jokes about Trois-Eveches aside, it seems to be exactly what you guys want.

If only it ran smoothly. It's nigh unplayable for me right now. :(

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5DtJqYKoxI

Never change, Paradox. :allears:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Imperator's 1.1 beta has regnal numbers and a ruler list, yay!

Regnal numbers don't show on dead characters and you can't view a foreign nation's ruler list, boo... :(

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

The United States event spam was enough for me to never play as them again.

Victoria 2 is an amazing game but also extremely flawed.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

People looking back at old Paradox games with rose-tinted glasses is both hilarious and infuriating at the same time.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

STOP LIKING THINGS

Senior Dog posted:

I still play Victoria 2 often. What color does this make my glasses?

Also you should stop getting infuriated over people liking things you don’t. That’s insane

You both seem to be misunderstanding me a bit, I still play Darkest Hour and Victoria 2 regularly and can definitely see merits in both of those games that are somewhat lacking in later titles. Paradox has definitely grown as a developer however and it sometimes frustrates me that its not appreciated more by a significant portion of the fanbase. Victoria 2 especially would've ended up way better under Paradox's new post-launch support.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

ilitarist posted:

Pretty sure it would. But I'm not sure modern Paradox would ever put arcane systems like POP promotions or world market in a game today. Or systems that beg for Excel UI like country influence. And I don't think Victoria 2 would have a cult following with systems that are made in a way you can't tell wether they work or not.

As I said, old Paradox definitely had their merits. It does make me curious how Victoria 3 will turn out.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

But China wasn't exactly feudal, so how would you fit CK into Chinese non-hereditary mandarin system? I don't think it would work in a satisfactory way.

I'd be willing to bet that CK3's system will be a lot more flexible in this regard.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Ms Adequate posted:

The downside to the Paradox model has always been that a sequel starts out comparatively barebones.

EU4 at launch had almost everything EU3 had after years of expansions with more features besides.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

ilitarist posted:

(some dumb words are cut cause I thought you're talking about Underrail)

But anyway, Age of Decadence feels like exercise in restarting till you know which skills you need in each chapter for your chosen path. There's probably a path you can follow by screwing every skill check though.

Most paths have permutations that cater to multiple skills and sometimes you can simply switch to another path, often by betraying your old side. The game's immensely replayable because of this.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Kangxi posted:

The first thread is in the SA archives. The last gameplay post in that thread was in 2015.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603375#post424599296

I had completely forgotten about the old Greek potatoface portraits, yikes.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

17,99 PLN equates to $4,69/€4,24.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I remember the mod starting out fun and then increasingly becoming a mess.

The mod was a loving godsend in a time where vanilla EU3 sucked tremendously.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

Does anyone remember the youtube video that looks like its meant to be a track from Victoria 2's music, but the track has a bunch of in-game sound effects like factories being built layered over it? I think it might have been A Day at the Court but I can't find it.

I know exactly which one you mean but for the life of me I can't find it either... :(

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I like all the flavor events in CK2.

Not only that, I really wished there were more culture-specific events.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

September 1st was way sooner than I expected, definitely pre-ordering this!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Arrhythmia posted:

*Thinking back on Imperator launch, Stellaris launch, HOIV launch*

I'm going to preorder CK3.

Tbf the only one of those purchases I've regretted is Imperator.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

Yeah but how about that TNO tho

Can it be midnight already?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Minenfeld! posted:

That reddit sub looks like it's just a mod devoted to creating dumb memes?

That's Reddit for you. Almost every subreddit without a 'no memes' rules turns into a cesspool.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Don Gato posted:

It's a very bizarre mod about a world where the Axis won WWII and includes events like the French can get an event chain that ends with them destroying all possible industry and technology and living as cavemen, or poo poo like how there's 300 different events describing different ways noted SS war criminal Oskar Dirlewanger dies, all of which are hilariously painful and/or embarrassing. To do this it sacrifices things like "good UI", "sanity", and "good game design" and honestly the worldbuilding is more fun than the mod will ever be.

The bolded part is not TNO but the Red Flood mod.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Star posted:

Sometimes I read Steam reviews for various Paradox games simply to find gems like these (this is for Imperator)

Extremely bad game that I've only sunk 350 hours into.

Someone on Reddit was complaining that Destiny got boring after 1000 hours, I got downvoted to oblivion for replying 'seems like you got your money's worth'. Some people...

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Alpha Centauri sucks because nowadays you have to buy it on Origin

It's also on GoG.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I actually checked yesterday and it doesn't show up there for me. Maybe it's region locked?

Does this link work for you?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The unannounced game is Magna Mundi. The Barça studio is so ubik doesn’t have to travel far.

I'm betting it's Iron Cross 2.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Victoria 3 :colbert:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Why aren't the America's connected? :psyduck:

Every time I look I see something new.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

ParadoxPlaza never fails to deliver. :allears:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Popoto posted:

Did Tinto mistakenly hire Ubik or something?

Mistakenly? The Clausewitz engine is his! :colbert:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

A fantasy GSG seems like the most logical thing to do and it's what I'm hoping for the most.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Tuna-Fish posted:

I do think that starting a bit earlier in the 1830's can be made to work, even if that makes Belgium a problem.

:geert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

I bet the game is going to be something that's paint the map that people try to hype up as something more nuanced and country-simmy.

Johan isn't involved so I still have hope.