Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Heavy neutrino posted:

I don't support weed legalization because I'm old and white and youth culture makes me soil my pants

You wouldn't have a problem with weeds if your pants weren't soiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Arabian Jesus posted:

G&M posted:

Liberals back Keystone XL pipeline, Stephane Dion says
DAVID LJUNGGREN
OTTAWA — Reuters
Published Thursday, Nov. 05, 2015 4:25PM EST
Last updated Thursday, Nov. 05, 2015 4:27PM EST

Canada’s new Liberal government backs TransCanada Corp’s Keystone XL pipeline, but does not want the project opposed by environmentalists to spoil relations with the United States, Foreign Minister Stephane Dion said on Thursday.

Washington has spent more than seven years deciding whether to approve the northern leg of the $8 billion pipeline, which would take oil from Alberta’s crude-rich tar sands to U.S. refineries.

U.S. President Barack Obama, under pressure from environmentalists, is widely expected to veto the proposed pipeline before he leaves office in early 2017.

The United States formally denied a request on Wednesday to pause the review of the proposed Keystone XL oil pipeline, seen by many as an attempt to postpone the decision until after the presidential election in November 2016.

Where is your Canadian Jesus now, Liberals?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Agreed. The sooner we can remove our impact off the land the better.

o'neill cylinders or bust

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well you see, universal healthcare is about providing services for parasites while charity is about being generous and doing good from the bottom of your heart.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Melian Dialogue posted:

Learning languages for White people isn't to directly help Aboriginal people (stop saying Native, you sound like an old racist grandpa), its to integrate them into our predominantly white society and to teach non-aboriginals about aboriginal culture so that in the future idiots who don't "get" why we need to give a gently caress about writing wrongs won't be so easily swayed into their echo chamber.

Look at New Zealand where Maori is an official language and where traditional aboriginal practices are integrated into the identity of what being a New Zealander is. Thats why you see New Zealand Army members doing Hakas at funerals, but you don't see Canadian Forces members doing the Sundance.

Now I'm aware NZ had an easier time because their version of colonialism was "back the strongest warrior tribe and ally with them to ethnically subjugate the others inline", but nevertheless their method of integration is much more appropriate.

And it might give Canadians a sense of cultural pride and identity that isn't rooted in being less lovely than America in certain specific ways.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

PittTheElder posted:

The stupid thing is that there's very real discussions that should be had about GMO crops, but almost all of them center on ecology and patent law. Instead we have idiots who somehow convinced themselves that GMO crops are bad for them because reasons.

Because random mutations are preferable to genetic modification.

Except in dogs cause we made dogs cuter.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Swinging things back to Uber for a moment.

Corporations gonna, uh, corporate?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nah let's just vote liberal again guys

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

DynamicSloth posted:

How many Canadian did we send off to die to in Afghanistan in order to honour our NATO Article 5 treaty obligation to the United States? That same United States, incidentally, whose new President just informed the world that said treaty is now obsolete.

Hey, that was clearly Obama's fault so

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

peter banana posted:

Yesterday the biggest protest for women's rights happened in 700 cities all over the world. The turnout was the largest for a protest in US history.

In the US, there were no arrests. NONE. It was exactly the peaceful mass demonstration you loving liberals want.

Today the US Congress put forth a bill To provide that human life shall be deemed to begin with fertilization. Basically a rework of a failed bill that would give full personhood to embryos. That means it overturns Americans' right to safe and legal abortions. Back into back alleys. Back to coat hangers and sepsis. Back to teenagers being forced to carry babies they don't want to term to live lives they would never have chosen given the loving choice. Women and children will see their quality of life severely lowered if they don't literally die if this bill passes.

Less than 24 hours after this colossal, entirely peaceful demonstration.

So, actually :fuckoff: if you think that being peaceful is all it's going to take to maintain rights in this new age. Sometimes you have to fight and to fight you need more than words.

Well...

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pfft, Canada would be right beside the US and UK in a theoretical WW3 that pits the Allies of WW2 against the Axis. Only this time the Axis aren't the bad guys (hopefully).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Vintersorg posted:

With the multitude of protesters every day I think the people just need a spark to really rise up and stomp this poo poo out.

Haha, don't underestimate the number of people who support what Trump does. At least part of the reason the GOP isn't resisting Trump much beyond making statements but then bending the knee anyway is because their constituents love the poo poo Trump is doing.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Powershift posted:

Also, don't underestimate the number of those people who got into law enforcement for an opportunity to beat the poo poo out of people.

Yeah, the protestors have people on the streets holding signs, but the trumpeteers have people on the street holding riot shields.

Remember when people protested bush at his inagguration, and then he didn't do anything bad and then was voted out after 4 years? https://www.salon.com/2001/01/21/protests_8/

The protests are uplifting to see but the election just happened and that was the last chance for Americans to do something for another two years. The GOP may be nervous about what Trump is doing but as long as their voters love it, they won't dare kill the goose that lays golden eggs.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

THC posted:

Same but according to the last fucknut I talked to apparently our refusal to have an "honest conversation about Islam" is why we get attacks so we should be nicer to them and hear them out as they make the exact same argument people made against Jewish refugees in the 1930s and 40s

Wait, what?

So our refusal to talk about bullshit beliefs about Islam is why we get attacked by Islamic extremists? How the gently caress does that logic work.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

namaste faggots posted:

No u R Rong because my gut tells me otherwise and if there's anything I'm good at its ignoring people with expertise and deep insight and trusting my gut instead

- jordan

if your gut tells you things maybe you should see a doctor about your mental health

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

murked by dragon posted:

God drat it's time to pull out the guillotines

Gravity is just a theory.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Baronjutter posted:

Nah it totally wasn't just them wanting engineering and consultancy work. A million LNG jobs. Ethical gas. Enriching first nations communities.

The only ethical gas are your own farts

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Furnaceface posted:

Well those 2 posts sure made me feel old in a hurry. :corsair:

Ive often wondered about this myself. I think part of it is having experts that smoke it probably seem more credible and convincing to others?

I'm in the same boat as PT6A here. I imagine they don't because it's weird for optics if you advocate for something you don't use yourself.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Liberals should just abolish the Liberals already.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Butcher posted:

Honestly this one got me. I know cynicism is the rule of the day and all, but it was such a major campaign plank and hearing over and over again "this will be the last election under FPTP", it really was hard to believe they would just walk away from it.

All the little poo poo in a campaign platform you expect to get nerfed or ignored, but you generally expect the party to at least go through with their flagship poo poo.

Their flagshit.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I feel like every time you read a post in this thread, a CanPol poster should whisper into your ear, "Libs gonna Lib."

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

THC posted:

The fact that there's any ambiguity at all is just :psyboom:

If we take his answer at face value it basically comes down to his personal feelings about John Horgan

From my point of view the Jedi NDP are evil hard to work with.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

My mom can use those Superstore checkouts no problem. And her English is pretty mediocre.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The thing with white supremacy is that it probably has to do with white supremacy.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

namaste faggots posted:

I posted my ballot gently caress head

you can't prove you didn't spoil it afterwards, or ask for another one after spoiling it

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

if the thing with qatar explodes into a serious conflict, does that mean alberta's oil will be worth something again

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just go full Confucianism. Merchants are the scum of the earth who produce nothing and just serve as parasitic middlemen who exist to leach money from all things productive.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm on your side but let me tear you down a peg for fun

Gosh don't get so angry.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

But at least there'll be a lot of jobs in the aftermath right

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Baronjutter posted:

I have the crazy political opinion that crimes such as criminal negligence by corporations leading to death or environmental disaster AND political corrupting and mishandling of funds should result in that company or politician essentially being ruined and destroyed.

Don't forget a guillotine.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I think you guys just haven't had good rear end before.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

infernal machines posted:

There appear to be a lot of barely literate doctors about.

Well yeah, they can barely write their names, they probably can't even read.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

McGavin posted:

:qq: People making over $200,000 of investment income a year have to pay 73% tax on whatever investment income they make over $200,000. :qq:

It's so hard to be rich, I have to pay my cooks and gardeners!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

littleorv posted:

No matter who wins I lose.

Democracy.txt

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

littleorv posted:

I can't wait to be disappointed no matter who wins!

Then why wait? Start now.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

In every time, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

JawKnee posted:

how did you observe such a thing

By watching Avatar multiple times.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Leofish posted:

"Racist" really is the n-word for white people, isn't it?

No, because white people can't call each other racist.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Leofish posted:

That's racist.

I'm not white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Oxyclean posted:

There's no reason to have faith in the ability to see problematic lines of thinking with how many people have latched on to Peterson's "having to use someones pronouns is compelled speech" crap. It's astonishing how many people on reddit want to die on this hill.

Has anyone started intentionally misgendering cisgender people on reddit?