Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

So this is kinda interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LxwyJq920Q

Someone walks across the world in 11 minutes.

Wasn't there some talk about Fallout 4's world being Skyrim sized? Of course, this doesn't account for underground bits, but... huh.

Also encounters a staggering seven or so enemies.

Half the reason Skyrim took so long to traverse was all the drat mountains and hills everywhere. 11 minutes while sprinting is fine. And 7 encounters in 11 minutes of straight running is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

It took a little over an hour to cross New Vegas and I don't think sprinting makes you run over 6 times faster than walking.

This is definitely not the best metric by which to judge the game, but it does raise my eyebrow at a product I'm already very wary of.

Well, we'll see. I'm not as hyped as some people I know for the game, but I'll probably pick it up at some point.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Now I'm not sure what to think. I always go energy weapons and I can't decide between the minigunlaser or the plasma rifles.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bernardo Orel posted:

Can't wait for the sexy mods.

What are you talking about, they hired all the modders that made those and had them work on the game. That's why you've got that robot!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Daztek posted:

I think you need fusion cores to power them.

Any particular reason other than gameplay ones they did this?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

When does obsidian get to make the good Fallout 4

Soon, I hope. They deserve the money that'd bring this time.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Eonwe posted:

I love all of you

There is nothing but love in this thread. Except for newspapers.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

bloodychill posted:

If wildlife doesn't randomly get caught on things or run in odd places I will be disappointed. My favorite Skyrim thing that happened to me was when I was trying to hunt an elk an hour in and the game was still in broken launch state. I shot the elk once with an arrow, he went running up a hill and I lost and subsequently forgot him. 30 minutes later I was sitting at a hut in the woods near there exploring the interface and looking around and an elk corpse came flying down the mountain at 100 kph, hurled past me, and I chased him and found his body in a creek and he had my arrow in him still. No idea what happened to the poor guy.

It was probably just some other hunter's kill. Unless you recognized the arrow or something.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

You killed drat near all the super mutants in Fallout 1

And then you most likely killed the rest of them in Fallout 2 (and most of the survivors of that game in Tactics , if that's canon).

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rinkles posted:

How's that presented? "[Persuade - 45%] Blah, blah"?

Different colored text=Different difficulty

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

My biggest problem so far, from the few hours I've gotten with it, is that everything feels so disconnected and ultimately boring to take part in. Maybe it'll pick up later, but right now it is looking like that early review was right.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

sout posted:

http://hastebin.com/raw/eziriberin List of names. I think. I dunno how to verify it.

Some pop culture references there, Katniss, Furiosa...

Oh damnit, now I have to start over and rename my character Denton.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Is there a quick way to figure out where your companions are at? I sent Dogmeat to one of the settlements and now I can't find him.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Might as well switch back to .308, or is .50 plentiful at your stage in the game?

At one point when I was using .50 extensively, I had like 700 rounds in my inventory. But since I sucked at stealth, it was only really used to take out enemies way up on buildings and stuff.

Edit: ^^^I'm honestly surprised they didn't just outright steal Obsidian's map marker system for buddies.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So that ending happened I guess. It was probably the worst part of the game, even if the lead up to it was pretty good. Did they just run out of time in making these or did they feel it was good enough considering the endings they've had in other games?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Oh hey whats this swan thing in the middle of a pond OH loving poo poo ITS A GIANT rear end SUPERMUTANT!!!!!

I was around level 55 at the time I ran into him and just blew him away in a couple of shots with a gauss rifle. I was a lot more scared of the behemoth I ran into at like, level 9 with just a piddly 10mm to fend it off with.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So is there a bug where all your places don't seem to have enough defense despite having like, 40 points in the settlement? Or am I missing something.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Two of the vaults in this game are morally worse than anything we've seen in previous games, which is saying something. We're going way past science or philosophical allegories (Vault 11 references The Lottery and the Milgram experiments) to I-have-no-mouth-and-I-must-scream levels of pure torture here. Vault 11's "research" at least had something to say. Vault 95 is the set of a snuff flick.

On a lighter note, I want a mod that replaces Dogmeat with Temmie

Edit: man, I forgot how well-made Vault 11 is. It would be incredible to, in some future fallout game set on the east coast, find that last jumpsuit next to the remains of a corpse in a poignant location.

Vault 95 is also very nearly pointless. So you've got a bunch of addicts that after five years off the junk are presented with chems. . What did you think was going to happen? It's like studying the effects of high grade napalm on people, you have plenty of case studies of that happening before the war.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So how in the world are you supposed to have enough oil to go around? I'm constantly running out now that I'm trying to focus on expanding my settlements.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So at level 68 and think I've done most of the listed sidequests. Beyond just fiddling with the settlements, what is there possibly left to do beyond collecting magazines and bobbleheads?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Speaking of weird bugs and quests, is nothing at all really supposed to be what happens if you don't pay back that mobster in the hotel in Goodneighbor if you get caught stealing his chem stash? I've got a misc quest to go pay him back, but I've had that for weeks and weeks of inagame time.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

The Vaults were just social experiments to gently caress with people. The people that they really wanted to survive, the remnants of the U.S. Government that became the Enclave, did not have intentionally defective vaults. The point of Vault 13's water chip breaking (and Vault 13 not having enough spares) was to see if the Overseer would violate his orders from Vault-Tec or let the Vault die.

Of course if Fallout 2 is to be believed, then your descendant actually goes back in time to break the water chip to make his present continue to exist.

Actually as far as I recall Vault 13 was supposed to stay closed until the Enclave came around to grab the survivors so they'd have a good supply of generally untainted genetic material to work with. But the chip breaking is considered a happy accident because that means they have a set of tainted material in Arroyo to work with and compare to the guys who stayed in Vault 13.

Edit: vvv Yeah, I know. Just saying what the President of the Enclave tells you at the end of Fallout 2 if you ask him why they busted open your grandfather's vault.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 23, 2015

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Bethesda seems too hung up on Fallout enemy tradition to realize that rad scorpions in Boston are dumb as hell. They could have used mutated spiders or ants and it would have made sense.

They're iconic enemies and hence they wouldn't dare leaving them out. Unlike say, the Geckos or Centaurs or proper Nightkin.

But honestly, way too much of Bethesdas fallout games have enemies that are just there because they're expected to be. They're obviously capable of making new factions or enemies, what with the Institute and all, but seem afraid to take that big step of making something entirely unique. Besides the things they've done with gameplay this time around, that is.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Talmonis posted:

:ughh: Oh god, I just now got that after all this time.

I think it is because people heard it spoken aloud by a radio host and didn't pay it much mind after that since they sounded nothing alike then.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm not sure what people find so interesting about Glory. Then again, almost none of the companions are very deep or funny to me. Except maybe Dogmeat and his propensity for clipping through floors.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zereth posted:

It's behind the hardest type of lock, so probably.

But apparently there are no cells for it anywhere?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Thanks I suppressed the Temple from my memory :ughh:

"This will not be a fight to the death!"
*kills you*

Well they never said he was very smart, now did they?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So beyond some nice scenery and that chinese sub is there anything to actually do under the sea?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I think the game kind of seems to break at levels above 75. That or I've just done something with my many, many settlements that is breaking the game in general. Tons of weird bugs are appearing all over the place (and no, I never place tv sets or jukeboxes) All my settlers randomly get unassigned from my various stations, they start losing settlers from places like Sanctuary Hills, and stop producing goods.

Then there's stuff like quest markers not appearing properly (though that's just for Mcready or however he's spelled's quest), ammo for various guns never appearing in drops (though that may be intended), and finding 3-4 of the same weapon on the same enemies.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Avocados posted:

Unrelatedly, are you all SPECIAL'd out at 75?

No, I was still lacking a few points. At this rate, I'll reach that goal at level 80.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Now I can't find my Cryolator. I was sure I put it in my main settlement's storage area, but I must've messed up and given it to someone? Checked with most of my character's inventories, no go so far.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Besesoth posted:

If you didn't put it in the actual Workbench, one of your settlers might have wandered off with it.

I did find it on one of my companions, could've sworn I hadn't put it in their inventory, just the workbench one, but I must've been mistaken.

The patch hasn't fixed the bug loving up my lighting and making that weird blurry effect happen, nor any of my other bugs so far. Still have a quest I can't finish because the questgiver is dead, Marowski still doesn't give a poo poo I haven't paid him back his money. But it might've fixed a teensy bit of settlement issues, maybe? At least all my settlements aren't stuck at 80 percent satisfaction anymore.

Edit: Speaking of 80, just hit that level. Hello full SPECIAL stats!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So do all the shops you make actually produce money now? All I ever got out of them was like, 50 caps at most.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

I mean, you can just back out of the terminal.

There are so many perks and bonuses that are just pointless after a while. Stuff like not gaining rads from eating food or drinking water doesn't matter since you're flooded with tons of RadAway and RadX through most of the game and you don't really suffer any real problems as far as I can tell beyond lower max HP anyway. Damage resistance is also mostly useless since if you ever run into enemies that deal tons of damage you can just hop over to your power armor. Healing from sunlight might seem nice, but I've got something like 80+ stimpacks lying around, why would I bother? Luck perks, beyond the regular sneaking, crafting and damage perks, seem to be the only ones with some real proper use (unless you've decided to make settlements).

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

The radiation stuff might not seem like much, until you run into a posse of Children of Atom all armed with Gamma Guns that hit for 50 rads each.

I already did. I popped a RadX and a few Rad-Aways and killed them all easy. Then I had no use for that for several ingame days.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I don't think anyone knows how settlements work at this point.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah, other than maintaining a nice "look" for your settlement, never build guard posts or whatever. The only reason not to build turrets is running out of gears or oil and even then only as a temporary fix.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

The only thing that surprises me about settlements is that there are people who actually waste time on them. I actively get mad when quests make me interact with the base building mechanics because they are hot loving garbage.

You eventually run out of stuff to actually do in the main map of the game, beyond exploring mostly empty setpieces. Settlements give you something to do and a steady stream of experience for all the crafting with useless materials you find lying around, while waiting for mobs to respawn.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So what is the most powerful enemy in the game? Hopefully not Swan, since he was super easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zodium posted:

Probably a Legendary Annihilator Sentry Bot Mk. II. They're like regular sentry bots, only they also have some kind of rocket launcher and additional cluster-bomb launcher. If they get the drop on you, you're basically dead.

Where can you find those? Haven't had much issue with sentrybots so far.

• Locked thread