Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

I think the bigger problem here is that Anakin goes from "No, you can't murder him, it's wrong!" to, himself, murdering children like...minutes later.

I think people were expecting the turn to be more gradual than that. But it seems to be an on/off switch.

This bothered me too. But he just helped a sith lord kill a master jedi. Probably as rock bottom as rock bottom can get.

I imagine he completely embraced the evil because to do anything less at that point would have caused him to go insane with guilt/regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Steve2911 posted:

Nah I think killing a classroom full of terrified children is worse.

Nobody said it wasn't.

I'm just saying by that point he's already completely over to the dark side.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I got my (and my friends) tickets today. IMAX 3d. 2am on the 18th. Hope it's worth it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Alderaan might not exist anymore, but there are probably a lot of surviving alderaanians in the resistance to whom she is still very much royalty.

Also, wasn't her mom royalty on naboo? Does that give her any claim there?

*fake edit* I know the expanded universe stuff is right out, but there was a New Alderaan founded.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

quote:

Much of the cast and director Gareth Edwards will regroup in mid-June for another round of shooting. The move is happening after execs screened the film and felt it was tonally off with what a “classic” Star Wars movie should feel like. The pic has not yet been tested before audiences, but one source describes the cut as having the feel of a war movie.

The goal of the reshoots will be to lighten the mood, bring some levity into the story and restore a sense of fun to the adventure.

Awwwwww crap. I thought that was the entire purpose of this movie? To break away from the norm and give us a different look at the Star Wars world?

I personally would like to see a gritty war movie in a Star Wars setting.

So Jar Jar Binks is going to be in this now?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Jewmanji posted:

a bunch of 7 year olds learn to use deadly weapons. Imagine how that would look in modern terms, for a soldier to walk into a camp to consult with his commanding officer, only to see the officer training 7 year olds with machine guns.

Yeah, but this is a fantasy story and those aren't normal 7 year olds.

Those 7 year olds could range in force ability from "can make a pencil fly across a room" to "can drop a car on someone". Early training was supposed to be a good thing for force users?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

These aren't X-Men mutants though. The "potential" Force users we see in the movies- Luke, Anakin, Rey- aren't lighting people on fire with their minds. Anakin for all his midichlorians is just really lucky. It's training that makes you a deadly Jedi warrior.

Ok. So it makes sense to start weapons training as early as possible.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm still hoping Rey is a Kenobi from an affair he had on Tattoine.

I was thinking she could be his grand daughter.

Kenobi did have a romance thing in the clone war tv show.

Zoran posted:

it just means we'd hear that Ben or Sheev hosed some rando at some point and then ditched her.

I think it was a mandalorian warrior woman (so not some rando) and she was murdered by a sith (so Ben didn't ditch her).

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

jivjov posted:

Yeah, that romance is great from a Canon standpoint. From a Legends standpoint it's a shame that it's a rehash of his romance with Siri from the Jedi Apprentice books

I don't have any issues if it turns out Rey is a Kenobi. Isn't Star Wars a big cycle anyway? An old kenobi taught a young skywalker and now an old skywalker will teach a young kenobi.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Filthy Casual posted:

Rey as the child of Obi-Wan and Satine Kryze would be hella interesting if she didn't die during The Clone Wars.

I would think she'd have to be the child of their child.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Red posted:

All right, all right:

I'm watching Return of the Jedi on Spike or TNT or whatever, and Han and pals just pass the Death Star II with the stolen clearance code.

Does Imperial traffic control just assume the ship is totally fine, and doesn't bother to track them until they land? They don't radio ahead to the bunker on Endor to expect a ship?

Crazier stuff has happened in real life. In WWII the Germans let a very poorly disguised U.S. battleship sail right into one of their most heavily defended ports and wreck their poo poo.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Serf posted:

Good point. Still doesn't make calling them "savages" any less hosed up.

Killing, and cooking, people is pretty savage behavior.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Serf posted:

From my point of view, blowing up planets is savage behavior.

So both groups are savage.

Another win for the star wars thread!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

UmOk posted:

Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru are savages. From a certain point of view.

Is there some back story with them being violent that I'm unaware of?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Equeen posted:

The word "savage" by itself isn't racist, but let's not pretend that wasn't (and still is) used to insult Non-Western, nonwhite societies that are considered "uncivilized". Not saying that those societies were above criticism, I'm just saying it's a dog-whistle term.

Is the term barbarian racist too? Asking for a friend.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Equeen posted:

By itself, no, but in certain contexts it can be.

Oh yeah? Have you ever had to deal with the Celts?

Sheesh.

I wonder why the artist made them all out as Guy Fieri.

Pretty savage stuff. :colbert:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I have a star wars universe question that I thought up today.

How do the Jedi treat force using people (let's just say humans) that don't give a poo poo about the jedi religion and aren't sith?

Like, I imagine there could be some dude who's strong in the force but never gets found and just grows up with it. Let's say he even figured out how to control it/use it and does so.

Do the Jedi just leave him alone? Give him some kind of ultimatum?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Phi230 posted:

The jedi are super "convert or die" so

Barudak posted:

Based purely on extrapolating from the blasé medical testing in the filmsif you're born in or ever visit a republic hospital you can be pretty drat confident your medical records get sent to the Jedi.

Wow. I guess the fascists had to go then.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

For rogue one: spoiler stuff has anyone talked about the bacta tank containing darth vader in this thread yet? Somebody noticed this image:

You can see a prop doll of a white dude with no arms and off to the side you can see the concept art.

From this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2N0Mn4i4Dw

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I don't want to know any more than this: oh my god good, or oh my god bad?

I read several spoilers (all the same stuff so I guess true?) and right now it seems really really good.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

drunkill posted:

Well that was fun. Great visuals but the music was forgettable other thab the John Williams themes.

Is Darth Vader a really badass scary monster?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I cannot fathom why they did the CGI for Tarkin.

Aren't there at least 20 look alikes for every Star Wars Character? I think Charles Dance could have played Tarkin and nobody would have minded.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Darth Vader slaughter scene is already up on Youtube.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

He seems like he was a huge perv, raised on all that science fiction written by sleazy pervs. Why else would it just seem natural for jabba the hutt to keep Carrie Fisher tied up as some kind of SM concubine? They're not even the same species--he doesn't even have a body plan organized around bilateral symmetry.

IDK, when I saw it I just assumed it was a power/ego thing.

Yeah, a gold plated AK-47 makes no sense either, but rich dudes hang them up behind their desks.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vermain posted:

Thus far, the strongest dividing line between humans and animals is the ability to consciously ask questions. The few experiments that've been done with ape language indicate that, while apes can (seemingly; there's still some debate around it) provide answers, they themselves do not ask questions.

I was reading a report somewhere on how far biologists think we could go if we were to breed dogs for intelligence (as in trying to get them near our level). They concluded that you could get some very smart dogs, but holy cow how weird would that world be.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

starkebn posted:

Also, lol if you think the American civil war was started to free the slaves

Uh, it was when the republicans took away the democrats slaves. That's why they are still so mad today.

Also, lol if you think Lucas was thinking about any of this stuff this deeply.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr President posted:

I want a standalone Luke movie without lame rear end Finn and Rey tagging along. I would ideally like an old man Han/Luke buddy flick but good luck getting Harrison to come back.

I don't care too much about a standalone, but I do want to see Luke Skywalker doing a badass fight scene like with Darth Vader in Rogue One.

Like, he doesn't want to fight. He just avoids it whenever possible. But Snoke/First Order push him too far and he's like: "You want it? You got it." And he just fucks up everything and we all see just how powerful he has become.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sorry if anyone has already talked about this, but I can't read through 300+ comments.

So in the new episode 8 commercial Luke says it's time for the jedi to end. Everyone is assuming that is some big thing. But it doesn't make a lot of sense because we know that the jedi in the title: "The last jedi" is plural.

So obviously Luke trains someone (Rey) to be another jedi. I'm thinking that if that line is actually in the movie it's at the beginning when Luke is all depressed and Rey convinces him to train her after that. So the jedi aren't actually ended? Does this make sense?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Either a bunch of characters die in this film or spacetoaster is right.

Even right after Rogue One, I'm siding with spacetoaster here.

There was footage/quotes in the Rogue One trailers that wasn't in the actual movie. Has that happened in the main storyline movies before?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

The first full TFA has monologues from each of the main characters, which aren't in the movie. Not to the extent of R1, though (each trailer has an entirely different version of the Mon Mothma briefing, and I'm pretty sure almost none of the teaser footage is in the final movie).

Yeah.

On the subject of Rogue One, are we ever going to get a director's cut? Also, was the scene with the tie fighter rising up in front of the main character ever explained?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

Specifically added as a hook for the trailer, as I recall. The same shot without the TIE is in the movie.

Yup. Wow.

quote:

There was a bit of a process to refining the third act in terms of the specific shots and moments, and so certain things just fell away. But then what happens is marketing love those shots, and go, “oh, we’ve got to use that.” And you say, “well, it’s not in the movie”. And they say, “it’s okay, it’s what marketing does, we just use the best of whatever you’ve done”. And so there’s lots of little things, but towards the end you go, “I know that’s not in the film, but the spirit of it’s in the film”.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Red Bones posted:

I figure it's probably going to be about replacing the Jedi as an institution with something better, since Anikin becoming Darth Vader is a direct result of lovely Jedi teachings, and I guess Ben Solo/Kylo Ren made Luke think twice about recreating a religious order centred around teaching teenagers to be emotionally repressed. Luke is the last living person trained as a Jedi, he's gonna teach Rey to be something else.

Would Disney actually go this route though? Jedi are such an ingrained part of Star Wars. Surely getting rid of the Jedi would likely piss people off?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Well Manicured Man posted:

Please watch my two-hour YouTube video in which I discuss this theory in excruciating detail.

link?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Covok posted:

Will Luke end the Jedi in TLJ?

I believe the depressed Luke at the beginning of the movie does. But then Rey will convince him to train her and it'll be all good then.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

euphronius posted:

I have finally accepted that the star killer bases laser would be visible across the galaxy and travel at super luminal speeds while still being visible .

I get it .

I though all the planets were in the same solar system?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

euphronius posted:

No lol

The first order developed a form of energy and matter faster than hyperspace. Hyper hyper space. The ghost detective from lost even mentions it in the film .

So the energy you see is moving faster than light which makes no sense because there is clearly a bow shockwave but whatever

Well...ok then.

I will allow it under the rule of cool. :colbert:

Also, if it was moving faster than light the people on those planets would never have seen it coming.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

What a weird way to say omnivore.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

homullus posted:

That battle was just as threatening to the heroes -- Luke Skywalker is shot down and his gunner killed not long after that scene. That shot is the way it is due to the technical limitations of the special effects of the day; I don't think it's there to show how "spread out" the troops became.

Yeah probably, but the spread out thing is good too.

Currently modern armor (tanks) are often not even in visual range of each other when in a battle line.

And, as an infantryman, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near those big stompy feet.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

Anakin kills a bunch of children to stanch the risk of future civil war (which totally worked, obviously). That makes a certain amount of practical sense, but it's obviously a moral atrocity.

I thought it was more to get rid of any competition. Those little kids could have also been taken and trained to be dark jedi, or whatever. But Vader is a selfish bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Covok posted:

Look it up online but some guy made a Blu-ray quality version of the original trilogy with all of this special edition additions removed. It might be bit of a pain in the rear end to put it all together and burn it to a Blu-ray but it's an option. Might be illegal.

Is Disney going to release an un-"enhanced" OT?

• Locked thread