Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cubey posted:

Well this thread title rocks

Also if that controller is real Nintendo is fuuuuuucked

It's not. You can tell because there is no d-pad and Nintendo will never ever make a controller without a d-pad.

Mimir posted:

Nintendo's console quality has directly related to the quality of their codenames for the last few cycles.

Dolphin: Great. Just a stellar codename. The majestic mammal of the sea. Inspired an emulator.

Revolution: What a name. What an experience. A revolution - that's what the Wii was... and it sold like hotcakes.

Project Cafe: Garbage. What's inspiring about a cafe? Cafes are where dreams go to die.

NX, Project Fusion, Project Crossover: An Xtreme name for the extreme need. Certainly, it's a better codename than Cafe, and arguably better than Revolution, but definitely worse than Dolphin.

The codename for the SNES was "SFX", so that clearly means we're in for a golden age of gaming not seen since the early-mid '90s.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

smell this posted:

I wonder if Nintendo really learned anything from the WiiU performances this generation of console gaming. It got a full year head start a head of the PS4 and Xbox One but still hasn’t beaten both in their sales numbers. Nintendo really tried to predict were consoles where going (tablet controllers) but it worked against their favor due to the Wii U last gen processing power. Plus third party developers didn’t really use the Wii U’s game pad features in any interesting ways and neither did Nintendo. Designing a game around the Wii U’s game pad features was probably tough especially if everyone else was so focused on the PS4 and Xbox One. No point in downgrading graphical and game play fidelity in order to suit the WiiU.

Now that the NX might show up at this year’s E3 and see a holiday release date, I’m slightly worried if its going to succeed. There have been a few crazy rumors like Nintendo using cartridges again, the weird touch screen controller and the fact that its as powerful as the Xbox One. The processing power worries me the most since both Sony and Microsoft are rumored to release up-gradable versions of their current consoles to accommodate VR. I know that PlayStation VR helmet is going to have its own processor box since the PS4 isn’t as powerful enough to run its hardware and software efficiently. Not sure about the Xbox One VR stuff but Microsoft if trying to merge its PC and Xbox brands again so they’ll be on par with each other makes somewhat sense. If NX fails to get third party developers back on board because of goofy and under powered hardware, then what’s I don’t know what could happen next for Nintendo. Then again VR might not catch on the way Sony and Microsoft were counting on. Either way, Nintendo should be more forward thinking if VR is a bust and try not to alienate other developers.

You're chastising Nintendo for doing the tablet thing, but you think loving VR, which combines the worst failures of all three current console makers (Virtual Boy / Kinect / Move) is going to be the thing to take off?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CrashCat posted:

Nobody really used the second screen well and all three platforms had a version of it at some point. That post also doesn't seem dead certain that VR will work but rather that Nintendo will get "locked out" again for being behind on power, which is a very real threat. How many multiplatform titles did we get for Wii U again? How many after the launch window?

With its underuse in most actual games, it probably would have been better off as a peripheral, but I definitely appreciated what use it did get, especially when it allowed for asymmetrical gameplay (Wii Party U / Mario Party / Nintendoland justified its existence entirely for me) and being able to play games without having to be tethered to a TV.

I hope the NX winds up being what we all expect it to be with the console / handheld combo that can work together or separately, because that would be everything I liked about the gamepad without all the issues people actually had with the gamepad.

As for being underpowered or whatever, that's never felt like a problem to me wrt actual games on the Wii U, since they know how to work around their limitations to make games that are fun to play and don't look dated since they're colorful and nice to look at instead of the greybrown motif that still permeates most current-gen games. I mean don't get me wrong, it would be great to have those third party multiplat games just to keep the userbase up which leads to more games I give a poo poo about, but as long as Nintendo has a good stable of their own titles, I could personally care less about those games since I'm just gonna play them on PC anyway where I never have to worry about backwards compatibility.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm okay with them trying out new gimmicks and trying to innovate as long as it doesn't put them out of business, because even when it doesn't work out there's usually at least something I like about what they did.

edit: What was Sony's version of the second screen anyway? I remember Xbox has SmartScreen, but bafflingly they just kinda announced it as a thing and proceeded to do exactly fuckall with it and seemed to immediately forget it existed.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 25, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SilverSupernova posted:

So what do we know so far about games for it? I think I remember hearing that square was looking into porting FFXIV and one of the Dragon Quest games for it, but not much else.

We know about as much about the software as we do the hardware, so speculate away!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The shark tank thread is leaking again.

Who could have predicted that this thread about an upcoming console that no details have been released for would turn out to be a lovely thread

If we only knew...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Patter Song posted:

Nintendo held its annual shareholders meetings.

3. They said that they're holding off as long as possible on showing off the NX because other people are going to steal their super-cool secret idea. :jerkbag:

To be fair, there was the Kinect and Move following the Wii and Smartglass following the Wii U. The fact that those products were all hot garbage notwithstanding.

Is this... Battleship, but with a penalty of getting a face full of water for losing?

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 29, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

How would you monetize the caring of virtual dogs? By letting them die if you don't buy the food packs (only $2.50 for 5!)? That would very likely cause a tremendous backlash with soccer moms.

Fuckin' dog clothes, man. Custom goddamn doghouses. Accessorized dog toys. Custom dog emotes. Pay 3.99 to teach your dog to roll over. It's like you don't know any people who can't shut the gently caress up about their pets, it's practically a license to print money.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Chill Penguin posted:

There isn't zero chance. Disney just scrapped their toys-to-life division, so there is some precedent for that market shrinking or disappearing as more advanced augmented-reality entertainment proliferates.

Also, the other problems with Nintendo are their US marketing and also their retail training/presence. Go into any GameStop and check the size of the Nintendo section and the knowledge of the employees. Back in the day when I worked at GameCrazy, the regional Nintendo rep NEVER loving came in and educated the employees on anything, whereas the MS, Sony, EA, etc. reps would be in almost quarterly to educate employees, distribute promotional materials, etc.

... I guess what I'm saying is that Disney should just buy NoA. :smithicide:

Hahah, what? Disney Infinity was handled utterly incompetently and was a mediocre game to boot, that's why it's loving dead.
Have there even been any good Disney-based games since the mid-90s heyday? The remakes of Ducktales and Castle of Illusion don't count, because they're remakes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Meldonox posted:

Man, something about that has a serious 90s vibe.

Yeah, that video is 90s as gently caress. Gives me flashbacks to Video Power, the one before they retooled it into a game show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

There was an eshop sale during E3, there might be another one around Black Friday / Christmas.
On the brick-n-mortar side, I've seen some pretty good sales on Wii U stuff over the last 2 years, I'd wager it'll be even moreso with the Wii U on its way out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SylvainMustach posted:

is this the general nintendo wii u thread now?

I have a controversial question. I'd post it in the Zelda thread but I dont want to get jumped on.
When does TP click?

I've gotten up to the horseback battle with the kid tied to a stick and it's just not fun.

Is my brain broken?

:smith:

I'm willing to accept that it is.

I don't think not liking Twilight Princess is an especially controversial stance, don't sweat it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Maybe it's finally the Grand Theft Kuribo: Koopa City we've been waiting years for.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

greatn posted:

It's really weird, I feel like Sony games and to a larger extent indie games, though many are very good, have been getting a real loving pass by reviewers. Everything that comes out is goty.

Indie games are definitely often judged on a different scale of "good for a janky game with programmer art and mechanics out of the 90s" as opposed to "actually a good game"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

If you don't like taking the gamepad to bed with you for a few last minutes of gaming before bedtime then I don't wanna loving know you

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Patter Song posted:

A highly polygonal Postman.

A fetal alcohol syndrome Postman.

Those both look ugly as poo poo to me, but then I think Ocarina and Majora are very ugly games too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I was good with pointer aiming, I hate gyro aiming.

condolences on your scrubitude

wayne curr posted:

Pokemon GO sealed its fate.

:chanpop:

Just wait until Nintendo blows up the smartwatch market with a mobile version of Yo-Kai Watch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Why yes, I'd love to spend thousands on a fake plastic piece of poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lastdancer posted:

The Nintendo Cross

where Mario died for your sins

This was gonna be my guess, it's not a good name but Nintendo hasn't been into giving good names to their products for a while now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SilverSupernova posted:

Blastball's demo is fun and they said they're looking into ideas for both 2D and Prime style games for the series a year or 2 ago.

I'm not sure what I was doing wrong playing that Blast Ball demo, because I hated it and it felt lovely and clunky to play. I was kind of hyped for co-op Metroid until I played that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Only a third Ken Griffey Jr game can save them now.

Ken Griffey Jr's Hall of Fame Baseball

I've wanted a new Baseball Simulator 1.000 since the SNES days.

Get MLB licensing, rename it Alex Rodriguez Enhanced Baseball, done.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Beautiful.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I met him at a con too. He's a really nice guy, if apparently unable to totally turn off being "Mario."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

greatn posted:

Who will die first you think, Charles Martinet, Shigeru Miyamoto, or at the same time?

Same time, in a suicide pact, obviously.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

The NES is a good console with good games, let's just talk about that.

RBI Baseball: still wonderful

Baseball Simulator 1.000 was, is, and always will be the best baseball video game

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mercury Crusader posted:

Open world games, super-linear first-person shooters, "press X to Jason," $60 + DLC Season Pass Movie Experience, these are the real video games. By Gamers for Gamers™

What is "press X to Jason"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Has anyone said Zombi U yet?
If not, why has nobody said Zombi U?

Little Mac posted:

Okay, top ten list is:

1. Super Mario Maker
2. Super Mario 3D World
3. Smash 4
4. Mario Kart 8
5. Splatoon
6. DKC: Tropical Freeze
7. Yoshi's Wooly World
8. New Super Mario Bros. Wii U
9. Hyrule Warriors
10. Shovel Knight (the best version is absolutely the Wii U version)

Mario Party 10 is pretty good, Wind Waker HD is the first time that game really clicked for me, and NintendoLand, Wii Party U, and, oddly enough, Game and Wario (mostly for the drawing game) are all fun in short bursts.

I liked Wii Party U better than Mario Party 10, and much like Nintendo Land I felt like it didn't get the love or recognition it deserved.

Patter Song posted:

True, but the Wii U did admittedly have some terrible titles, even a few terrible first-party titles like Amiibo Festival, Mario Party 10, and Mario Tennis Ultra Smash.

MP10 is good and fun if you're not a gigantic baby who can't get over the fact that it's not the same as whatever iteration you played when you were 12. Wii Party U was better though, and those other two games you listed are legit bad.

As far as bad / forgettable games go, it seems like those were front loaded on the Wii U's launch, like that one lovely Call of Duty game and the kids movie cash ins like Rise of the Guardians, which I got for Christmas one year for some reason.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 12, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm curious, for those of you who owned multiple consoles from this generation (Xbox One, PS4, Wii U), what, if anything, made Nintendo's first party titles stand out from the games on other systems?

I think what Nintendo does better than anyone else is just plain good design. They don't have the most pixels or the most hdees but they take what they have and they just make things look good with it. In particular, I think they make the most vibrant and colorful games, which really stands out in the age of greybrown AAA blockbusters.

The sound and music they have in their games always stands out to me too compared to the boring forgettable orchestral scores you get in most games on other consoles. Like the attention to sound effects on Splatoon for example, the sound of the ink splatters or the little splashing noise when you drive into ink. That all goes a long way for me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Instant Sunrise posted:

yeah but if i wanted to use a real gamecube i'd have to pay way too much for component cables or else use a really ugly looking HDMI hack (assuming i got a gamecube with a digital out port)

nintendont on a wii u is the same as playing on a real gamecube except no game boy player and you can use the Wii U's HDMI out.

But also no GBA link cable, which means no Four Swords Adventures or Crystal Chronicles or Pac-Man Vs., which are like 75% of the reason to own a gamecube in the first place.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

sout posted:

The New 3DS never really ended up having much exclusive stuff, did it? I can only think of Xenoblade

Xenoblade, Binding of Isaac, and SNES VC games are all I can think of that were strictly exclusive, though I hear that Hyrule Warriors is pretty much unplayable on an old 3DS.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

elf help book posted:

They just must be stupid, that's the only answer. The new console will be named the Nintendo Wii U Duh and will be announced 5 days after its released.

IT will be the Nintendo HD

the HD will stand for Hurr Durr

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DalaranJ posted:

Don Cheadle stars in Hotel Mario 2?

Hotel Rwario

acksplode posted:

Ubisoft said a lot of the same stuff about the Wii and then crapped out Red Steel.

But then they also made Zombi U on Wii U so I feel like that balances the ledger.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SomewhatMystia posted:

There have been a fair few (I think the latest one I know of was on the DS?), but they never end up outside of Japan. I'd kill for a new one, preferably in the style of Goemon's Great Adventure. Although I would miss the 'holy poo poo, look at all the places to go' feeling I got from the first one on N64.

The first one was on SNES. The first one in the US, anyway.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

greatn posted:

If they make a new advanced wars they need something new to the formula. The two GBA and two DS ones were good, but basically four games with very little change.

I'd like to see nation building and having to deal with controlling and governing occupied territories. Throw some Civ in there.

That sounds like an absolutely terrible idea.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SylvainMustach posted:

It's like the game is actively discouraging me from buying it

hahahaha, seriously?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

VR gaming peaked with Dactyl Nightmare.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm neither a millennial nor a gen-x'er, but rather part of the Oregon Trail Generation. Game on.

That seems way too cumbersome to say though. Needs something that's memorable and conveys the meaning in a single word.

...Dysentarians? Hmm...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

elf help book posted:

it looks cool

If you're buying amiibos for any reason other than this, you're doing it wrong.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

elf help book posted:

I believe in the NX.

We all have to believe, and raise our hands in unison with Reggie so he has enough power to form the NX

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rexroom posted:

Paper Mario Color Splash review embargo has been lifted, and the average is 80. Surprisingly high for a game no-one had faith in back when it was announced.

I never stopped believing

But then again I'm not a person who flies into a frothing rage over loving Paper Mario games

• Locked thread