Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Kid Fenris posted:

This happened to my 16GB card the other day, and I had to reformat it. Good thing the only saves I lost were for reviewed games that I'll likely never play again. Is that a common problem with Vita cards?

Yeah, the Vita's filesystem is awful. I stopped doing full system backups and instead back up apps individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Seconding: the MegaFlashROM supports disk images, and a regular MSX2 covers all the essential games. A Major Havoc fan such as yourself should play Theseus asap

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

See this is why I insist on hacking all of my devices to run emulators, I want something that can do SNES and PSX in every room so that when I eventually fall down and can't get up, I'm covered no matter where I do it

"oh christ my hip... well I never did finish SaGa Frontier..."

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Fawf posted:

Sometimes I like to play After Burner Climax and OutRun XBLA just to feel like a cool Sega VIP

booting Outrun 2006 on Steam is the most alpha thing I do (and I'm pretty alpha)

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

guys it's OK, I made everyone who makes repros to promise not to sacrifice working or otherwise important games, they even signed their names on this slip of... *pats pockets* ...oh, poo poo

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I'm more triggered by Sony PS one LCDs being used to make handheld Atari 5200s or whatever

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Tobaccrow posted:

RIP Pokemon Uncensored

it's not edgy unless klansmen are involved. today's kids are too soft

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Captain Rufus posted:

I just had the worst Facebook discussion with a friend

I'm betting "friend" is only a one-way designation here

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

XYZ posted:

Comedy option: World's tiniest MAME cab :v:

needs more trackballs

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Gorgolflox posted:

What was even the point of that?

Because they were parted out and not fit for operation. That's from a Todd Tuckey video from five years ago. And got nerds upset back then! The cycle begins anew!

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

Here's a dumb question for the thread, are there any significant differences between the various Mr. Driller games? As in if I didn't like the DS one would I find the original PS1 game easier/nicer learning curve/better balanced? If I remember the internet consensus right it was that the DS one is the worst, the GBC version is the best, and the others are okay, but I have no real idea why.

The first game is a good intro to what it's all about -- no bells and whistles. I don't know where you heard the GBC one was "best" -- it's great for GBC, but the PS1/DC versions are obviously better ports of the original.

2 is fairly similar so that's not a bad choice either.

After that is when the significant differences kick in. People will probably talk up Drill Land to the high heavens, and it is great, but I don't think it's a good intro for a first-timer since the modes are so distinct and break convention.

I didn't quite "get" Mr. Driller when it first came out, but eventually I went back to it and appreciated it more. You really do have to think strategically, and on your feet, and I don't think it ever communicated that well, but patience pays off.

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 27, 2016

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

univbee posted:

Good news if you want a Famicom Mini but lamented the lack of Famicom Disk System Mini to accompany it, turns out there is a box theory.

972 yen, selling like hotcakes because of course.
Actual product link

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

FrumpleOrz posted:

Are there any good Game Boy or Game Boy Color games that are a little lengthier and meatier than the usual GB game? I've played Link's Awakening but what else is there?

The Zelda Ages? Wario Land 2 & 3 (I dunno I at least put a lot of time in them)? Cave Noire? They got this game in Japan called Pocket Monsters, too

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I respect this guy's (Redon's) work but there's something really offputting about him and everyone who meets him says the same thing.

is this like people calling a celebrity a jerk because they were hounded for their autograph after they got off a plane

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I mentioned it because he came up in conversation recently and the people I was talking to were getting the same vibe off him and I was somewhat relieved to learn I wasn't imagining things. I don't feel slighted by him, he's a perfectly nice dude who's doing good work, but yeah, my comment came off way pettier than it should have. My bad.

fair enough, it was just a comment on hearsay, not really directed at you.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

EDIT: oh and Brave Wave recently announced two remastered Ninja Gaiden series OSTs - it looks to be a ways out right now but the first OST will include the music from the arcade game and the first NES game and the second will include the music from NES games 2 and 3, with oversight from the original composers: http://www.bravewave.net/genseries/003

And I wrote things in both!

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I only play Super versions of games. This includes Super Troll Islands.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

checksin posted:

why on earth were they producing tiny toons games that long after the show's popularity

hey if you change that to "transformers" it's how we'll be talking about Platinum in 15 years

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

quit flaming the lamers, d00dz

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Jaleco is sort of like a lesser Telenet in that they spread themselves too thin using a ton of small developers and have a ton of unfocused mediocre games instead of a smaller library of good ones because of it. They actually lasted a little longer though and published some interesting/odd stuff on the late PS1 and early PS2/XBox/Gamecube era. But they started that time period with super embarrassing poo poo like Nightcaster and Vampire Hunter D and even if they had been a renowned dev/publisher there was no way in hell they were going to recover from that. They were quickly reduced to doing a few lovely idol games and some quick classic re-releases before vanishing.
Are you implying Lowrider isn't a 21st century masterpiece?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

TheRedEye posted:

That Jaleco multicart would be cool if it didn't use the same "launch-era NES black box design except worse" layout as every other retro video game product released in the last 20 years. Like, Jaleco had an aesthetic on the NES, and it looked cool. White backgrounds with blue text and stuff. Do that!

Agreed. They also could've ripped off my cover and I wouldn't mind

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

d0s posted:

it's one of the niches/fixations I think a lot of the people with souls in this hobby have, where you're so happy to see a dev catering to a particular interest or style in a way you haven't seen before that you can overlook things which may enrage people who get paid to write about video games. Does this happen to you?

yeah for me a lot, and I think it's what people should harness when they make their retro game videos and blogs and books. but I don't explode into the duke of defensive when someone online ribs me about it

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Kid Fenris posted:

Good. Exile 2 is the only Working Designs localization that really verges on impossibly hard. The others are toughened up, but Exile 2 ended up much more difficult than even WD intended it to be.

You mean Howard Lincoln, right? Howard Phillips no longer worked for Nintendo by that point.

They could've had Nester at the hearing, though.

It was Lincoln, and describing that hearing as Sega defending art is hilarious. It's two big corporations that both needed to get the government off their backs. And guess what, they did, and Sega made the most artistic game of all time, X-Perts

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 2, 2017

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

video games taught me to love Dragula so I just put that over everything

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

falz posted:

I've never owned a PS2 because gently caress Sony's marketing which helped kill the Dreamcast.

Orphen: Scion of Sorcery DOESN'T EVEN COMPARE to the thrills of Maken X! And they're giving you games we ALREADY have! Why, we released Dead or Alive 2 on Dreamcast over SIX MONTHS AGO!

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 23, 2017

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

worthless. posted:

Jesus Christ I can't even listen to the same song twice a day, much less one right after another.

sounds like a room full of the kind of people who wet their pants whenever Darth Vader turns on his lightsaber

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

guys did we ever figure out what's a dhalsim

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 7, 2017

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

shyduck posted:

So a friend of mine and I are trying to determine how many games were made based on Stallone movies. So far we have:

Any others? Any uncommon platforms?

If you're just looking at consoles you're always going to have a gaping hole from computers and arcade. There's Rambo games for MSX and Cobra for Spectrum, for instance.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I heard someone thinks I'm the opposite, but the truth is I don't care either way but as a kid used to like Mike a lot because I thought I looked like him

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

"I'll happily love Nintendo's brand-new good games BUT WHEN THEY MESS WITH 30 YEAR-OLD GAMES I'VE ALREADY PLAYED A BUNCH?!? GRRRR NOW YOU'VE DONE IT!!!!!@#"

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I just clicked on a random title and wow, this guy really goes into depth. Makes me wish that he wrote for Hardcore Gaming 101, or that their standards would at least be on his level.

I dunno, in-depth doesn't always mean better; sometimes it's just wordy. Like I'm not sure a bullet list of Solar Striker's weapons helps put the game into perspective. Also the screenshots are badly scaled

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Medullah posted:

Hey, tell me everyone here didn't fully take advantage of jamming on the pause button in Mega Man 1 to beat the rock monster boss.

Everyone didn't because I didn't

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Uh, only slightly retro related but I'm not sure where else to ask.

Anyone know of a good looking dock that can hold and charge four 8bitdo controllers? I have two SFC30s for my SNES and two SNES30s for my Mac and Switch. I don't like how they look hooked to a powered USB hub sitting on the bookshelf. Very unsightly. Wondering how you guys keep your 8bitdos looking pretty while charging?

Perhaps charge docks for PS4 or Xbox One controllers?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Maybe Nintendo themselves have the newest version of the ROM? They are very good at data archiving.

i heard they get everything off coolrom and miyamoto had to sit there repeatedly voting on the top 50 rom sites just so he could see mario world again

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

They literally did this with the NES virtual console! People found ines headers in the ROM.

yes they literally did what I described

Yeah I know what you're actually referring to

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

incoherent posted:

I already have this and it is called the nintendo switch

I don't know if having one GB game with the bad default SGB palette counts

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Kthulhu5000 posted:

That said, I wonder why Hyperkin doesn't just do the obvious thing and include a screen to make a complete Gameboy clone system, especially if it's designed work with an emulator running on Android anyway?

Retro-bit is making one; I'm sure Hyperkin will follow suit, and the GB clones shall rise.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm more of the opinion that 3&K >= CD > 2 > 1
this is reasonable and all but please use words

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I got the Makopad variant right after it came recommended back in the day (I think by IGN or some magazine). It was indeed hard to get used to because it felt like such a fat blob in your left hand, but in the generations since there's been other controllers designed around filling every last millimeter of your palm so it might not be so bad now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Ofecks posted:

GEMS is poo poo. Lazy, horrible poo poo. The MD is capable of so much more, as many of us have linked in the thread over the years.

lazy fuckin' developers making TOOLS, to hell with those monsters

(p.s. maybe watch the video)

• Locked thread