Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

iospace posted:

What exactly would they change?
Laguna Seca, for example... They would widen the entire track by 50%, require the pit area to be demolished and rebuilt to FIA Grade 1 spec. And the pit exit would be re-done to resemble Brazil's. The corkscrew would probably be history. All the dirt on either side of the track would be turned to massive asphalt runoff similar to what they did to the esses in Mexico City. It would absolutely ruin Laguna Seca, and it would never happen in a million years.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

wicka posted:

Why not continue to use the pretty good, purpose built F1 track we already have in America, instead of bulldozing everything we like about other tracks?

Because we need 2 or 3 grands prix in America to help make it more popular here.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

OH poo poo

Nando to Mercedes please.
Kvyat to Mercedes please.
Button to Mercedes please.
Maldonado to Mercedes please.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Vettel can get tired of Ferrari's poo poo and move over to Mercedes. Or Max Chilton can come back!

edit: Gutierrez can waste the seat for the whole year

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

"We will start to look at this [new driver choices] on Monday." said Toto Wolff in the press conference.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

As if he wasn't contractually obligated to wear that watch in that photo. C'mon.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

What's all this noise talk? This is the Formula 1 thread. We haven't had loud cars for years.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

learnincurve posted:

Oh god, FIA season reviews are always called stuff like "Kimi finally did it!" or "That's what champions do" This year? "they did their best"
They didn't even put any effort into the production of the 2016 season review. It's the dullest thing. They only spend a minute on pre-season testing. And the radio restrictions drama is hardly mentioned. The knockout qualifying isn't mentioned at all.
Usually when the visit a new track, there's a sweeping CGI shot of the track and maybe an onboard qualifying video if it's spectacular enough. This year? None of that.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

learnincurve posted:

the clip with the ghost car proving without doubt what a bellend Nico is was very nicely done .
That part was pretty good, yeah.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Powershift posted:

With blackjack, and sprinklers.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Dubs posted:

why does mattdizzle think anyone reads his posts

who?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I emailed him and he never replied. Maybe the bitcoin police got him.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

1500quidporsche posted:

He certainly drove it if the wheel is anything to go by.
that's a tire

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Human Grand Prix posted:

They should call the new McLaren the AIDS3000.
Always Imitating Dead Schumi?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Theophany posted:

The Nurburgring can't afford to host a Grand Prix on it's GP layout. Anybody suggesting any kind of event at any layout there is divorced from reality.
Speaking of this...since Bernie's gone now, has there been any talk about, like, NOT forcing ridiculous hosting fees on the track venues?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Didn't Alonso say that he was definitely retiring if the 2017 car isn't "fun to drive"?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

GramCracker posted:

Anticipating Big Things from your Scud Studs this year?
Hell, who isn't?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Roller Coast Guard posted:

That's last year's McLaren livery.

Weird that two different teams over two years have thought 'hey, let's literally paint our cars the same colour as the track so they're invisible'.
More like:
2014 Sauber
2015-2016 McLaren
2017 Haas

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

simplefish posted:

Did Williams and Toro Rossso officially unveil yet, or Red Bull?
Williams did, unfortunately. It's even worse than the renders they released last week.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Sail confirmed.

Wtf, is the nose...open?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

You can never tell if they're counting the +160hp from the ERS in these figures though.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

enri posted:

MCLRN HV SFFRD MCHNCL PRBLMS

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Looks like neither the Sauber nor the Haas have an S-duct. I guess we know who's coming in 9th and 10th in the WCC this year.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Der Kyhe posted:

They should just make the Honda F1 engine a separate brand called Honnyet.
xaxaxaxa

Human Grand Prix posted:

I wonder if McLaren will elect to stay with Honda post-2017. I'm hearing they are growing impatient with them but I'm not sure if a switch will win them races.
Ferrari are only supplying two teams with their current engines - themselves and Haas. There's room for Mclaren in there.

MCLRN+FRRRI

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Pirate Radar posted:

When it's sitting still I just imagine that nose making little sniffing noises like an animal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4VvRWTD3Ok

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

GutBomb posted:

This thread moves quickly and I have not been paying attention to any F1 news during the off-season. Is there some site out there that has a digest style recap of what's happened off-season? Googling "formula 1 off-season recap" didn't really give me much and I'm sure someone here knows where to look.
- Ron Dennis out
- Bernie out
- Ross Brawn partially in charge now
- Manor GP out
- Felipe Nasr out
- Weltmeister Nico Rosberg retired
- Bottas to Mercedes
- New Canadian driver in Williams
- Massa un-retired and back at Williams
- New cars are ugly as poo poo
- McLaren-Honda worse than ever before
- Henno stream is gone forever

I think that just about covers it?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Wirth1000 posted:

Alright, gonna start the Official F1 2016 Season Review Blu-Ray.

Pray 4 Wirth

spoiler: it's poo poo

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

blunt posted:

How are these fireproof?
1) Why does it matter? Brake pedals don't catch on fire.
2) Their race suits are fire-resistant. Surely their socks can be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/18957746/max-verstappen-art-overtaking

quote:

Under F1's new laissez-faire attitude to wheel-to-wheel racing this year, it is not yet clear whether moving under braking will incur the wrath of the stewards (the Article referred to by Whiting in Austin last year has been removed and replaced with a regulation that says no penalty will be issued unless a driver is "wholly or predominantly to blame for an incident").
Looks like we're in for some fun times ahead.

• Locked thread