Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Is there a reason that i shouldn't be this excited Elite: Dangerous is coming to PS4 this year? It sounds loving awesome. It seems like everything no man's sky was supposed to be combined with just about all the stuff i heard star citizen is supposed to have with the added benefit of being an actual game. I do have the sinking feeling it might be the first "ps4pro recommended/required" game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Rastor posted:

The light is on... but what's powering it? :confused:

https://www.ted.com/talks/eric_giler_demos_wireless_electricity

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I have to agree with others here and recommend For Honor. If you liked bloodborne the combat is pretty similar from what I've played, maybe a little more forgiving, and when it clicks it's pretty drat satisfying to square off with someone.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Uh oh, the goon heroes at Giant Bomb love For Honor - despite being absolutely terrible at the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gzU7HxWgd4

That's awesome though, if you can love a game while being awful at it, that means the game may contain the theoretical "fun" particle

e Which For Honor totally does, in my opinion. I'm still waffling about actually buying it, but having an epic sword fight and then kicking my opponent off a wall at the last second when im at dot health is pretty satisfying

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Oh yeah, definitely a good thing. Although it's not normally the type of game that people will like if they aren't very good at one on one battles. Like you can't help out significantly in other ways like you can in say battlefield 1.

There seemed to be a couple group buff abilities, but i got decapitated so quickly most of the time or used the first available ability so i rarely got to use them. Definitely nothing that could compete with the time i spent turning my team into a never ending stream of immortal soldiers as a medic or making helicopters invincible as an engineer in bf.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

NoMansSkyPlayerStats.jpg

People were demanding refunds by like day 2 or 3 of nms, nothing could be that bad

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

el oso posted:

Have been replaying Black Flag lately. Still owns.

Unity was boring and Syndicate was ok. It's nice to see Ubisoft taking a break from the series for a year (while making a horrible AC movie, I guess) but it'll be interesting to see what they come back with to keep it going. There's not much more history for them to mine at this point.

It's going to be in ancient Egypt!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Ghost Recon could be fun if it turned out to be a sequel to Mercenaries

There's explosions and a helicopter, but it doesn't seem as chaotic as i remember Mercenaries being. It looks like it's more geared toward borderline sociopaths who cleared and reset the outposts in Far Cry 3 & 4 a gazillion times (me).

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

MA:A is gonna sell millions and anyone who buys it early is a fool. It'll be cheap and plentiful in a year's time.

Mass Affect

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ghost Recon is basically as cool as i thought it would be, which is exciting. I've only played a little bit though, because it wouldn't connect at first and my PS4 hard locked when I tried to close the game. Less exciting

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

That mind control ability in SOM was the most OP poo poo I've ever seen.

Yeah but it was a single player game, you vs an army of orcs, and by the end combat was more about orcemon management than actually challenging the player. I like all the OP stuff in open world games like SOM; i cant wait to shadow strike my way through a couple regiments of uruks. I put an absolutely impractical number of hours into the first one, they have my axe. Er, money.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

So them designing a menu that takes you out of the action instead of a snappy quick one makes it good? Okay.

If you never got killed from behind after an enemy did one of those stupid flailing charges, maybe we played a different game.

Radial menu snapping to super slow-mo seems to be the new standard, and I'll definitely take it over the AC inventory screens that take forever to load and make my PS4 sound like a pod racer. At least they made the camera stick the selector instead of the move stick like ghost recon, THAT radial menu got me killed a lot. Also, you get a handy warning about robots charging--their icon changes from a red dot with an exclamation mark to a super excited exclamation mark (that maybe flashes? I can't remember), letting you know its time to spam roll.

edit: not to say you won't get crushed instantly with little recourse by a thunderjaw doing a tail spin, but the ease of dying in HZD just means that you priorities should be distance from your enemy, THEN dealing damage

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 23, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did you not get any upgrades or something

Even with all the upgrades the Ull fight is a bitch if you run out of stalactites. I definitely reached a point where he looked like he had no health and he just stood there eating arrow after arrow. The last boss soaks up or just outright deflects a ton of damage too, and I was pummeling her with fire arrows and bee bombs. I can't imagine doing that poo poo in perma death mode, I'd have to put one of those cages on my TV like they have in prisons

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

acksplode posted:

That looks awesome, I would've loved if Until Dawn was truly multiplayer. Also it's cool to see a concept that totally flopped in the 90's work out when it has the right technology in place to support it.

I thought for sure I was clicking on this.

e ah but you're talking just about the voting bit, so I guess... Mario party?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Snak posted:

Has anyone else's share button recently gotten way laggier than usual? It used to be I could hit the share button and within a second to, save my video or take a screenshot. But now I have to wait like literally 10-30 seconds to be able to do either. Some I it never lets me do it and I just have to go back to playing the game. I wouldn't be surprised if it' sjust my psPoor showing its age, but I was wondering if anyone else was having the same issue...

Mines improved if anything but yes I know exactly what you're talking about. It seems to get a little better on subsequent attempts, so maybe try holding share and letting it all load once right at the start of a round/play session would help? I've literally been intending to do this and then forgetting to do it until I encounter the same problem you're having for like a year.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Smol posted:

I finished Uncharted 1 and been playing some Uncharted 2. While the sequel is definitely much improved, I still think there is too much combat. No idea how 3 & 4 hold up yet, but hopefully they learned some pacing lessons from The Last of Us.

There are a few good set pieces in 4, nothing like the seemingly endless waves in what I remember of the first one. I kind of wanted more gun fights by the end. The straps look pretty bouncing around :3:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Wired connections uber alles

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Guillermus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spLNPr7tF6I

I completely lost it watching this video, holy poo poo I need to play more this game.

I've been playing it and I'm not sure why he's not kidnapping all those citizens to work on the big shell, the point if the game is to kidnap citizens

Moooooore ciiitizeeeeenssss

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

As your attorney, I recommend getting in on the Alien: Isolation bundle on sale right now on the PS store. It's one of the games that will never leave my library, and twelve bucks is low enough I might rebuy the whole thing just for the couple add-ons I'm missing

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Bardeh posted:

Everyone bitching about the free games when in the past two months we've gotten Infamous and MGS5. Those are both huge (and good) AAA games!

I'm pretty pleased that we got ground zeroes and then mgsv, and now it's my go to gently caress around stealth/kidnapping simulator instead of a $70 new purchase I spent food money on and am obligated to play

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

man nurse posted:

Well I bought Horizon Zero Dawn and I'm not seeing why it's getting all the goon love. It seems very average so far, but I've seen many call this their GOTY and all that. Am I missing something? Does it just get better as it goes?

Keep going, and make sure you figure out how the different weapon effects gently caress up robots in different ways as this makes combat go more smoothly (it seemed arbitrarily difficult to me at first). Do the collect-a-thon quests and side quests too, they aren't as tedious as you'd think and they are rewarding in terms of game item stuff as well as filling out the story. I felt like your actions (attacking robot factories, etc) have a noticeable effect in the world.

I also really dug the graphics and the fact that it genuinely tried to tie the world together in a comprehensible narrative; a lot of open world games that are universally hailed as excellent kind of don't make sense if you look at the way the story interacts with the world, and it feels more like it does here. Also the main character is female and it isn't exploitative, which is notable in a sad way.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Battlefield 1 is rapidly approaching my "might as well" price, is it any good? I really liked BF3/4 and BC2, and it seems like the level of weapon technology would make it more like BC2 in general.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

i got it for $25 on black friday, and assuming you still enjoy batman style combat you'll probably enjoy it. i get wrapped up in tracking down and fighting orc captains and dont pass much time on the actual story. i havent gotten far enough to see the loot box poo poo everyone is mad about but i hear it still sucks, but thats also like end game or post game content i think.

basically if you want to batman fight stuff go for it and if not i would steer clear

The loot box stuff isn't that bad, you can buy the "poo poo tier" boxes with the in-game currency that flows like water, and they don't seem that lovely

I'm choosing to look at it as a way to summon up new orcs when I don't want to just roll around brain washing captains myself. Can't do it all the time since you're limited by your supply of mordor bucks, but it's not entirely useless if you don't want to pump actual money into the game (I don't and have not).

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ha, pretty bold gambit putting an icon with a "buy now" option for Destiny 2 on my home row as though I'd just been playing the game. I choose to be amused by it since it just let me delete it without any more fuckery.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ok so what’s the appeal of BB for $13 I feel like I should just buy it but I’ve never played a souls game and I don’t get the obsession besides “hard but satisfying.” Like are you just endlessly running around fighting bosses

I have a switch and portable dark souls sounds cool, if it happens

The map is crazy fun to figure out, and kind of amazing to sit back and contemplate once you've opened up a good portion if it. The story and setting work really, really well. The combat is fun once you get the hang of it, but it seems punishing for the first stretch. It's worth $13. Avoid spoilers.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

What I'm running up against is that there doesn't seem to be any block or parry mechanic, just "shoot the guy mid-swing then rip his guts out" which is predicated on having bullets.

You've got it, the game is now about figuring out the timing of enemy attacks.

E as stated, also dodge like crazy.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, it's actually one of the better games and should've had a PS4 release from the get-go.

I sort of thought it had? Black Flag was a launch title, and weren't Liberty/Rogue/The one I can't remember they just gave away for free all kind of at the same time?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ok what the gently caress is this game even about

That just got more and more insane and then I could barely handle the crescendo of "Manage your own baseball team!" "Open world shark hunting!" "Creepy dating simulation!"

e "Carry a baby sometimes!"

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

That's a bad game. A really bad game! I played through it to entirety on PC years ago and boy was that just a fuckin' grind with an awful story!

That's sad, I heard Rogue was good. I skipped it because I didn't like the icy rather than tropical setting, which is probably a dumb reason but I thought other people had fun with it. Unless you're saying Black Flag was a bad game, in which case avast, pistols at dawn, walk the plank, etc.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

When's a good time to play Black Flag: Freedom Cry? Should it be left for after BF, or is it small and contained enough by itself?

Probably play Black Flag first, then go back for Freedom Cry later/if you want more pirating. Black Flag introduces the setting and main character for Freedom Cry, although FC has its own self-contained story.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Norns posted:

All these jokes would be mad hilarious if I actually made a comparison like that

It's gotten away from you, your only hope is to poo poo on persona 5

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Norns posted:

A lot of you that love souls/borne stuff should give Monster Hunter World a try.

We open. An appeal to broad appeal--Norns appears to be endeavoring to let the fans of a widely loved gaming franchise know that a new game contains elements similar to their perennial GOTY. New games are often the subject of well warranted skepticism; one cannot truly know how a game feels, what it is like to put our minds, our, and I hope you'll forgive me, souls, into that world, until the money has been spent. A comparison to a trusted source of escape, one that one already knows scratches those indescribable itches, can help communicate that incommunicable feeling if what it might be like to move through this new, unknown world.

quote:

Combat isn't identical or anything.

A hedge! He has herewith narrowed his comparison to the aforementioned beloved franchise. Combat is certainly one of the aspects of the Souls franchise and Bloodborne that is most often remarked upon. To find which aspects of the games are being compared, we must read more deeply into what Norns is telling us.

Norns continues:

quote:

But it definitely has similarities that work insanely good with what equates to constantly fighting giant loving boss monsters. And then wearing them

Ah, the grandeur of those foes, battled infrequently and having on average greater strength and stamina than preceeding opposition, often colloquially referred to as "bosses," and trophies taken thereof. While in Bloodborne a player doesn't have the ability to take trophies from enemies per se, in-game lore indicates several of the weapons and even costume items belonged previously to the beasts and kin you're slaughtering in your night of phantasmic terror or even to the elder terrors ultimately responsible for the whole affair, and the enemies you encounter are on more than occasion would easily qualify as what one might describe as "giant loving boss monsters."

Norns is specifically disqualifying the combat--excepting, perhaps, the anime-as-gently caress weaponry--from his comparison. He sees likenesses instead in the size and scale of the boss fights, and in the tangible connections between those bosses and the weaponry and items used to hunt them--a hunt in which the player has no possible hope of succeeding, a hunt against all odds.

Posters of the PlayStation4 thread of the Games subforum of these immortal, glorious dead gay forums, Norns comes to you to help you feed that primal urge, the one we all have, to look up, no, farther up, no, those are its nipples, farther, up, up, into the blazing eyes of an impossible enemy, to grip the ridiculously impractical sword-hammer-axe-cannon in our giant, stupid-looking riding glove, and perfectly time holding R2 until right before he lands that first hit. Don't close your hearts to him, open YouTube and recall the enormity of some of the cohort you faced in Bloodborne, and those you might face now in Monster Hunter.

"Giant loving boss monsters."

Cleric Beast, Paarl, Amelia, that big idiotic looking balloon head sucker finger thing you fight in the church--all giant. All boss monsters. All loving.

Thank you.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jesus please us the opening of this free call of duty game comes out of nowhere and your loving arms get ripped off

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

CoD has frustrated me into submission and I'm about to crawl back to battlefield like a battered partner who just knows it will be different this time. Just to double check, is "battlefield 1 revolution" the one I'm gong to want to buy here? If it's not as fun as 3 and 4 were, i will also accept "for the love of god don't buy that."

ElwoodCuse posted:

The class action lawsuit over GTA: San Andreas should have been about Supply Lines, not Hot Coffee

Oh my god supply loving lines

I got it when i read the specific order in which you needed to blow up the trucks, and i remember it seeming like a bizarre solution no one would have come up with without googling it

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 3, 2018

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I get gigabit for the same price

Are you in a Google internet city or something?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

I've never played a Far Cry game before, but I keep being tempted when I see 5 go on sale because zipping around in a wingsuit and shooting rednecks and hunting with a cougar buddy sounds really fun.

But then I hear literally anything else about the game and talk myself out of it.

I would definitely play 4 and maybe even 3 before 5. Fc5 is good, but it kind of pales next to 4 for a lot of reasons (the guns were cooler, the setting was prettier and more interesting, all of it was set up more believably). I thought Primal was good too, but i wouldn't recommend doing it first since far cry is more fun with guns.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

BF4 for 8.99 and Titanfall 2 for 5.99 right now in the store, both premium editions or whatever with all the add ons. I'm sure the player base for both is mostly grizzled veterans with perfect aim and eyes in the backs of their heads at this point, but those games are still worth way more than that.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Because it works fine as a streaming box and I don't want to buy another piece of tech I don't need for streaming. I guess I could just use my Xbox or Switch (lol jk I cant use my switch) instead.

The only thing that sucks is that I like to watch movies with earbuds since my Sony Headset gets hot and my TV speakers suck. And I need to keep the controller on for that. Even if you don't touch the DS4 it'll fast forward if you look at it weird.

I still think the guy that designed the DS4's streaming functionality should be publicly executed.

You could get the little remote control for movies instead, maybe Bluetooth earbuds or an eighth inch cable extender for your listening preference.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Question.

This could be the internet crapping out on me or an issue with the 6.00 FW beta but does anyone have an issue with their net crapping out on rest mode? I’m downloading some patches and would rather leave it on rest mode but whenever I turn the PS4 back on everything is disconnected and the patches start over again from the beginning. I’ve checked the rest mode settings and have connect to the internet checked but I dunno, it’s worked before.

This is on a Pro btw if it matters.

I haven't had issues. There's a setting in there that asks you if you want things to continue downloading in rest mode, but it sounds like that's what you found already. I do keep mine hardwired since it's conveniently placed, though, if you're on Wi-Fi have you tried running a long Ethernet cable to wherever your ps4 lives and replicating it?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Hope you want Destiny 2 and God of War 3

The last god of war game i played ended with me riding a tree man up mount Olympus. I think. It was on the ps2. Is that the next one

E also both prototype games own bones, we need a third one asap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

haveblue posted:

Yes, that's the cliffhanger ending of 2. 3 picks up exactly where that leaves off.

Good because i remember sitting there thinking "alright here we go lets gently caress up some olympioh ok the game is over" and feeling disappointed. i don't remember exactly what the story was but i remember being way more wrapped up in it than it deserved and wanting to see it finished. I'll never play destiny 2 but im kind of excited to run through this one.