Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I tried morrowind for the first time a couple years ago, to see whether it lived up to the hype. I immediately shut it down and modded in faster walk speed, but still got bored and quit about a couple hours in. I'm sure it gets good at some point but I couldn't be assed to find out how long that takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

the 360 controller is the real goat of controllers imho

My xb360 controller's analog sticks don't analog. the moment they get out of the dead zone, the signal is immediately capped. Also when pressing e.g. left, and then letting go, the snap-back would register a phantom right input. worst loving analog stick i've ever used.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

did you play a catboy?

I played a catboy

It was fun. I played a catboy

Final Fantasy XIV was pretty good I played a catboy

I liked FFXIV a lot

I played a catboy

It's good though. I played a catboy

FF14 was cool I played a catboy

It was fun I played a catboy

I liked 14

I played a catboy.

Agreed it should be easy for everyone to oplay FFXIV it's a fun game

I played a catboy

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

It really bothers me that in Breath of the Wild the boat goes in the opposite direction that you'd think it should go, based on a basic, intuitive application of newton's third law. Link even takes on a wide, stable stance while waving his leaf, as if to brake against the recoil of pushing air, and yet that force somehow pushes the boat in the opposite direction

I guess the leaf is supposed to be magical or whatever but it is so visually jarring to me that it kind of hurts to watch

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

the best legend of zelda game is Hollow Knight

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

the best TV show is Taskmaster.

SCheeseman posted:

Unpopular Television Opinions

Here's mine: long-form narrative drama television is Bad, Actually. What if movies, but poorly paced at six to twelve hours long, with arbitrary breaks for cliffhangers in the middle?? gently caress all of that, including Mad Men and Breaking Bad and all the other ones people have mentioned in this derail. Bring back episodic television!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Top 5 classic JRPGs of my childhood:

5. Skies of Arcadia
4. Final Fantasy III/VI
3. Phantasy Star IV
2. Final Fantasy VII
1. Chrono Trigger

I have replayed all of these as an adult and they all hold up and are good.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

jokes posted:

Team Fortress 2

The Orange Box is/was The Best Videogame Purchase if not the best single game.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Fur20 posted:

I recognize tf2 as a moba and yet its design is just so that it minimizes same-team hate.

idk about that, every time i log on to a good server with 20 people on it, my team has four snipers and three spies and no one even trying to do the goddamn objective and I get loving apoplectic

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

adhuin posted:

Is good and all, but have you heard these riffs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PKKPVj7loQ

:black101:

:krad:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

neato burrito posted:

Souls-likes (I think these are a genre of their own at this point)

the souls games fit very neatly into the definition of "metroidvania" and do not need their own genre

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Not really. It's certainly possible to make a game that's a soulslike and a metroidvania, much like you can make a game that's an fps and an rpg, but one doesn't particularly imply the other.

Also metroidvania is not only the worst genre name, but the worst possible genre name, so categorizing games that way should be resisted when possible.

hard disagree with every word of this post.

immersive storytelling, a focus on guided exploration, gameplay consisting mainly of combat, backtracking and opening up shortcuts, character progression, an interconnected world. that's a metroidvania. which is a cool fun word that everyone should enjoy using.

The one thing that makes souls games somewhat stand out is that you don't ever upgrade your movement like in most metroidvanias; don't know why that one difference is enough to give it its own fuckin genre when it shares a bunch of other characteristics with metroidvanias though.

Earwicker posted:

that depends on how you define "soulslike" i guess. i mean elden ring uses almost every major mechanic from the souls games so its certainly very souls-like in that sense, but it's not really a "metroidvania" due to the way the world is built

I have not played Elden Ring, but afaik, it uses some of the same mechanics as dark souls, like "save points," "rpg-like character progression," and "combat." these are not exactly fuckin unique to "souls" games and not really genre defining on their own. Elden Ring is an open-world rpg, which is a genre that shares a lot of characteristics with metroidvanias but as you say is distinct. calling it "soulslike" is, if anything, deceptive, because it gives the false impression that it's a metroidvania like dark souls.

Doctor J Off posted:

Is this what it finally takes to dethrone SOTN as the greatest ever metroidvania, to call Dark Souls a metroidvania?

i hope not, SOTN is good and Dark Souls is mediocre

edit: also the greatest ever metroidvania is Hollow Knight

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Hollow Knight is a better metroidvania than either of the ones you mentioned. It is the GOAT and all games should just be called Hollow Knight precursors or copies.

:yeah:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

But you're also ignoring the most important part which is that soulslikes have combat that is substantially like Dark Souls which e.g. Super Metroid does not. I guess if you don't like soulslikes you wouldn't care about that, but it's a major part of why the games are popular.

Sure, I suppose you can use the word "souls-like" to accurately describe the combat, specifically. but that's not a genre of videogame. We don't go around calling any game where you jump on top of enemies to kill them "mario-likes," and pretend that they're special and different - they're platformers.

The Moon Monster posted:

To me the thing that makes a game a metroidvania is that you gain new abilities that change the way you interact with the world and open new paths/areas. In the Dark Souls series, the games I would say define what a soulslike is, you just kill stuff that is in your way or occasionally kill stuff that had a key to open a door that was in your way, or was standing in front of a lever to open a door that was in your way (hey, Doom IS a soulslike!). Your ability to interact with the world remains consistent from beginning to end.

this is probably the best argument against my point of view. But I'm going to go ahead and say that the difference between getting a double-jump that lets you get to a high area and getting a key that lets you get to a locked area aren't fundamentally different. It's got the same gameplay loop of "kill a boss/find a thing, unlock progression to new area of a large and exploration-friendly world" that is the fundamental nature of the metroidvania.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

the term "tank controls" kind of annoys me because there's another, much less common control scheme that actually works like an actual tank does - where you have one control for the left tread and another control for the right tread. Turning in place involves pushing one tread forward and the other backward. You can turn while moving by having one tread at a slower speed than the other. This control scheme was used in an old tank arcade game that I used to play as a kid, whose name I have forgotten. And then it was abandoned for a decade until home consoles finally had dual sticks and could physically do it for the first time, and afaik Katamari Damacy is the only game with the balls to try, with the "treads" being the Prince's two hands pushing the katamari ball. THAT is what should be called "tank controls".

RE's "tank controls" could maybe be called "avatar-relative controls" as opposed to most games' "camera-relative controls." that's kinda clunky though, idk I'm just spitballing.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Barudak posted:

You can instantly delete the marauder with it by tossing a grenade over its head then rocket dumping into its now vulnerable spine making them take about 1 second.

I learned this from watching the speedrun at the latest SGDQ. I really wish I knew it when I played. Unfortunately "distract them by throwing a grenade over their head" mechanic is both counterintuitive and never taught by the game (and is possibly a bug?). Instead Marauders were a giant "time to stop having fun now" sign.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Ravenholm is very scary. I don't like zombies

IMO most of Ravenholm is merely creepy (at best), not scary, but the part where you're on the roof and the fast-zombies are climbing the drainpipes is legitimately the scariest thing in any videogame I've ever played.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

i liked highway 17 more as a "standout" level but ravenholm is still really good

:agreed:; Highway 17 is the chapter I go back to most often if I just want to jam a little HL2 for old time's sake.

Honestly every chapter in HL2 is iconic, except maybe "anticitizen one" and "follow freeman!" (the city sections in the latter half of the game) which drag on a bit too long. But even those have some cool moments imo.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

i don't play a lot of competitive multiplayer things but I personally get really annoyed when someone is probably going to win and says "gg" before the game is actually over, while you still technically have a chance of winning. It's like they're saying "we both already know i've won" which always comes across to me as super rude and gloating.

imo the correct protocol is for the loser to say "gg" first, and for the winner to respond in kind. If you're the winner and you really wanna say "gg" anyway you should probably tack on a "wp".

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Vandar posted:

There is a lot of BotW DNA in Genshin Impact.

breath of the waifu

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

:wotwot: "why don't these peasants simply BUY more things? they are like children!" :wotwot:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Almost every game has a glitchless category

And usually some variant of "no 'major' glitches" or "no out-of-bounds" or similar, as well, for those who want a semi-glitchy experience

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

DildenAnders posted:

The most annoying part of speedrunning is people deciding old games were poorly written and "broken" because entire communities of obsessed people have been working 40 hours per week of their time probing for exploits and glitches for literal decades. Like I overheard people talking about Ocarina of Time as a broken game, which is ridiculous because the glitches in that game are pretty much never encountered in normal gameplay.

Well, the really serious stuff, no, you're right, you'd never encounter that in normal play. But it is virtually impossible to play a casual playthrough of OOT without encountering several minor glitches. I'm thinking of stuff like "broken stick glitch," which is easy to activate accidentally when fighting certain enemies with Deku Sticks, crouch stabbing, which is as easy to activate as holding R (to shield) and pressing B (attack) while not z-targeting (because the devs simply forgot to assign damage values to that particular kind of sword swing), and seeing through walls occasionally. The casual player maybe will not realize broken stick is a glitch, nor will they even notice anything special is going on with crouch stabbing, but they're still glitches that happen a lot.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Vampire Panties posted:

Consoles are cool because they're basically as good as the 2nd highest video card and they're half the price of building a :airquote: gaming rig :airquote:

if you want a super powerful dedicated machine, sure. But if you have a PC anyway for non-gaming reasons, which a lot of people do, then you just need a decent video card, and that's only if you want to play AAA fpses or whatever. Until I can post on SA, do my taxes, apply for jobs, and watch dumb internet videos all on an xbox, pc gaming is way way more accessible, from a monetary perspective. I speak from experience: there are a few console-exclusive games from the past decade or so that I'd like to play, but I am too poor :(

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

I'm sure it was really good for awhile but then DN3D and Quake came out and for some reason the old timers just couldn't move on from Doom.

I played all of these games as a kid, DN3D most of all. When I revisited them in the 21st century, it seemed quite clear to me that Doom 1/2 were loving masterpieces of game design, whereas DN3D was a kinda poo poo game kept afloat by memey humor. Quake was a massive step forward, and a good game overall, but not as polished and masterful as Doom 1/2.

Of course, the best FPS series is Half-Life.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

the *asterisks* are not for emphasis in that screenshot, they're pretty clearly in place of 'single quotation marks' for some reason. I agree that it's a bit of a baffling typographic decision, and distracting, but I can't imagine being so mad at that in particular that I hyperfocus on it and angrily bring it up as proof that the game is bad.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

I guess it depends on how you play it. If you mean it's easier to get to the end of the game, sure, but if you actually run through all of the content there's some real bullshit in SMW's secret levels.

SMB3 world 8 airship and 8-1 both kicked my rear end a lot as a kid. I never beat it on console. I didn't have a SNES as a kid so I don't have a direct comparison, but having played both on emulator, I still think SMB3 is quite a bit harder. SMW is very hand-holdy with powerups and stuff, especially the ability to backtrack and grab powerups/yoshis from previous levels. And most of its bullshit levels were optional.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

jokes posted:

The game is built for people whose sole goal is to maximize and optimize numbers, not have fun.

Optimizing numbers IS fun, sometimes.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

There are some ways that Super Mario 64's controls were bad (mainly the camera, also a lot of the two-button combo moves like the long jump kinda suck) but there are other ways that it was so smooth and good and Nintendo has never replicated it in dozens of mario games since. The way mario accelerates and turns around (which also leads into the excellent side flip move) is fantastic. I can't fully explain it, it just feels right. A lot of the aerial moves are great (double/triple jump, jump kicks, jump dives). And most importantly, every other wall-jump in the history of 3D gaming is inferior to the mario 64 wall-jump.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

the worst thing about elden ring is that every thread about videogames talks about it CONSTANTLY, drowning out any other discussion

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

here's my unpopular opinion: if you didn't like HK's map system, then maybe metroidvanias are not for you. stick to linear games maybe.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

e:

this userscript adds a 'sell all cards' button to the steam inventory page (in the browser)
it basically just goes through all the cards and clicks sell on them for you

this seems cool, but steam apparently wants independent email confirmation on 200+ trading cards that this script just tried to batch-list. it sent me two hundred loving emails. there doesn't appear to be any way to automate confirming, or to confirm from inside Steam or the steam website.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Lol Metroivanias have had better map systems since Super Metroid decades ago. Hollow Knight made a bad map system just to be contrarian.

HK tries to get you to learn and internalize the structure of the game world as you explore it.

If you don't like exploring and learning about the game world and its structure, then you don't like metroidvanias.

Super Metroid's map sucks. A bunch of identical pink squares does not make a very functional map. I can never remember where anything is in that game, despite playing through it several times.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

HK's map has landmarks on it. Super Metroid's doesn't, except for save stations, which are all identical. If I remember a place I want to go back to, there's no loving way I'm going to figure out where it is by looking at SM's map. It doesn't even mark where the boundaries between regions are.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

galagazombie posted:

How the hell does Super Metroid not have landmarks? Everyone remembers the collapsing green bridge or the bullshit glass power bomb tube or the sinking sand trap. Hollow Knight if anything is the one that has a problem with the areas all blending together into the same dark spooky haze.

Oh, SM has landmarks, that's true. I remember all of those. But they're not on the map. i can look at the sea of pink rectangles and have NO idea where the collapsing green bridge is, even though I've run through that room dozens of times.

If you think HK's areas blend together, then you must not have gotten to the second region of the game? the first region is the dark hazy one, then the second region is a lush, bright, green zone. it's literally called Greenpath.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

If you don't have Super Metroid memorized backwards and forwards, that is a you problem. Use your shame as motivation and fix it.

oh i do have it memorized. or at least I used to; haven't played it in a few years. but i didn't get there with any help from the lovely loving in-game map.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

galagazombie posted:

They’re all dark blue and hazy. There’s dark blue hazy intro, dark blue hazy with the occasional pink crystal, dark blue hazy with some vegetation (you mentioned this one), dark blue hazy with the rain….

There are a couple blue areas in the game but they're at least different shades of blue. The City of Tears is a middle-brightness blue, the Deepnest is dark blue. There's also the Blue Lake area of the Resting Grounds that's a very bright blue-green. And of course the sky is blue in some of the outside areas. But you're talking absolute bullshit if you say the entire game is dark blue.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I'll spoil in case you don't want to know:

nail can be upgraded 3 times
nail has 3 special moves that can be learned
there are 3 main offensive spells, each of which can be upgraded once

Please give us updates as you play through the game.

there are four nail upgrades, and you forgot to mention that there are also several charms that provide radically new ways to attack (e.g. dreamshield), and obviously also charms that modify nail and spell attacks

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

precision posted:

Metroid Prime is one of the best games ever made. Shame the sequels are just kind of okay

:yeah:

I especially hated MP3's janky wii-mote light-gun-style controls. MP1's controls were a fair bit idiosyncratic, but they were designed sensibly for the GC controller and the game was designed around them in such a way that once you get used to them, everything flows really well IMO.

MP2 was okay but, idk, just not as compelling in terms of environments and abilities. There's something about MP1 that makes me want to go back to it over and over again, whereas MP2 I played once and was done.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I don't know what any of those words mean.

I know what all of them mean but have no idea how the heck they're supposed to apply to Hades

Disco Pope posted:

Funko Pop Presents Greek Myth

this one makes even less sense to me. funko pops do not have personality; they only have an art style. and hades' art style is nothing like it.

Disco Pope posted:

Edit: reading the plot, I think I got burned out on the game waaaay before it got interesting (escaped once, had no interest in doing it again), so I'll concede I'm maybe off base about this one, but its possibly just Not For Me.

it sounds like the real problem is that you don't like roguelike games, and are flailing around trying to find a plot/art style/etc. justification instead of just saying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

I did genuinely bounce off of stuff like. . . the main guy calling everyone "Mate" despite sounding like a Tory Peer

this is the first thing you've said about Hades that both is a substantive complaint and also makes logical sense. and yet it is still the dumbest possible thing to complain about.

yes it is factually true that Zagreus has a posh-sounding RP accent, and also says "mate" a lot, which is something posh people with RP accents generally don't say a lot. ok, so???

it's just weird that people asked "what the gently caress did you mean by 'tumblr stink'? please explain in different words what you didn't like about hades so that we may understand" and this is the best thing you've come up with so far.

here, i'm going to go back and fix your original post on the topic so you don't sound like an unhinged weirdo

Disco Pope posted:

Hades was fun for a bit, but I didn't find the plot/characters particularly compelling, and I'm not that into roguelikes anyway