Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Nintendo should stick to handhelds or go the way of Sega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

abigserve posted:

Bad company 2 was real good anyway but the maps guns and vehicles that Vietnam brought in were loving amazing

Bc2 nailed the mechanics of what makes a multiplayer fps fun and then Vietnam rolled up with the perfect setting

Agreed. I don't even like FPS games all that much but I put a lot of time into BC2 and even more in Vietnam.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Flannelette posted:

It really sucks Bloodborne 2 isn't a thing yet, they must be working on something.
I fear they blew their entire creative load for Bloodborne so it's going to be a solitary thing.

They are working on Elden Ring, or at least it seems they are. It being a collab with George RR Martin, who knows how well that's going.

Fur20 posted:

smt has its own weaknesses. i enjoy the series but i hear fans go on at length about its tactical depth and i'm over here like, buff, strip, debuff, kill, adding three actions to the typical jrpg command queue does not a deep or challenging game make.

smt is also oppressively edgy, persona is better about watching its manners and minimizing the chuuni cackling. the last smt game i played was devil survivor and holy poo poo it's like the entire cast was written by a very very angry fifteen year old

Persona's fine but Japan's cookie-cutter school setting in games really drags things down. Give me more of Strange Journey weird human consciousness worlds or Nocturne's post apocalypse sphere world.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

Outside of Pikachu being cute and collecting/swapping poo poo being perinnually appealing to children, Pokemon's success eludes me. I played some of the early games and they're the dull even by JRPG standards. Hats off to Nintendo's marketing for laser focusing on what people whose brains are still developing enjoy and having a couple of cute characters, but the rest of the Pokemon, setting and games are mad tedious.

I was about 14 when it became big though, so I was into big-boy games like Legacy of Kain.

Its the cuteness, swapping monsters and the fact that it was everywhere in all forms that attracts the kids and pure nostalgia that attracts the (wo)man-kids. I'm honestly impressed they managed to keep the momentum going for like 20 years now, with new games, merch and cards.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

look at some point you're full, and you've had enough

Someone hasn't played STALKER :smug:

If I can't eat unlimited supply of sausages in a video game, I consider it a bug.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

slice off the last half of most king stories and it turns into a decent thing

This also works for the entire Dark Tower series.

Also unpopular video game take: Considering the boring gameplay yet cool and creative lore/worldbuilding, Control would have worked better as a walking simulator.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Nice Van My Man posted:

Hell yeah, and if they can have some kind of Steel Battalion style controller to make it even harder to control even better.

Unironically this. Give me full immersion.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I hope STALKER 2 is just as difficult and unforgiving, if not more so, than the original.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I dunno about STALKER 2. I don't remember just Kramering into a warehouse full of bad guys and unloading the magazine from the hip.

The first STALKER poo poo on you for going into the game with that mindset. The first job you got was to clear out a warehouse with some guys but you could tell them you want to handle it on your own. They'll make fun of you and let you do it, but considering you got a lovely pistol and a knife and cardboard for armor, the odds are low of you surviving it.

Of course come the endgame that goes out the window when you got high quality gear and powered armor, so their bullets do jackshit to you while you're 360 no-scoping bandits.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Story is bad for video games. It's not that the story itself is necessarily bad but games wasting time on story are generally worse for it. Griftlands is worse then Slay the Spire. Farcry is worse then Unreal Tournament (98 of course). Binding of Isaac (terrible story but doesn't take up much of the game) is better than Hades (endless dialog boxes but less interesting game play still good though). Story is generally just game filler. Really it's about the purity of video games.

There's never been a good story in a video game it's impossible when Diablo 3 exists.

I had no idea John Carmack was posting on SA.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
When I'm not doing story mission or job quests or lore side mission in XIV, I just put on a podcast and just listen to it while grinding my crafting/gathering jobs.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'm both a big fan and critic of FF XV and the twinks in it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Lodin posted:

XV is the only one I actually really like. Going on a long roadtrip with my gay boy band was lovely.

Yeah, but I wish it could have maintained that energy from start to finish. Instead, the further you got into the story the less you could do and the more it showed that they slapped the game together at the last moment. I remember finding an entire unique, important looking underground laboratory area in a side quest, and having to find a unique boss... and nobody mentioned it afterwards. The romance, like Lunafreya, is very poorly fleshed out.

loving love the characters and their dynamic, but the entire game keeps reminding me that it could have been even better.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
It's very kafka-esque

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Pitching hot new game idea: What if its like The Metamorphosis, but you turn into a neon pink fridge full of Monster Energy instead?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
To this day I'm curious what they thought was so horrible about the original DS2 that they had to get a new director and basically rework/restructure everything close to the release date. I only played the Scholar of First Sin and thought it was decent. Not nearly as good as 1 and the reworking of the game obviously led to a game progression that was slightly nonsensical, but gameplay-wise it was enjoyable. Still a bigger fan of DS1' slower, more ponderous combat tho.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 27, 2021

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Vic posted:

It's funny how in Europe in early 2000s Xbox just wasn't a thing. It was Playstation:Xbox like 10 to 1 in terms of sales, and especially when it came to FPS games it was all about Quake 3, Unreal Tournament and Counter Strike. Halo was not even on our radar because it just looked so sterile and unimpressive. We were all about that edge, Halo was for babies. It was only retrospectively I heard the phrase "halo killer" and how big Halo was in the US.

And I recently bought the Halo bundle to figure out what I've been missing and jeez those games are flat.

So it wasn't just a Dutch thing, I see. Nobody I knew had an Xbox and nobody ever talked about Halo, it was all PS2 all the time. I remember seeing ads for Halo 2 at bus stops and being surprised that MS shelled out the cash for advertising in a market that seemed very indifferent to it. And then 360 came out and MS instantly caught up with Sony. It was weird times.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Zzulu posted:

In the country of europe, no one had heard of halo, all we played was Beetroot simulator 2000

It is required by law to only play video games like Cruelty Squad in glorious republic of Europe. No halos, hoops or rings allowed.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Excuse you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifuiQW8vN_M

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

lmao I don't remember Horizon Zero Dawn being that egregious but yes I know what you mean

just think, any videogame could be somebodys first

Its this, and also that while every game may have some similar items/mechanics, they may not necessarily work in the same way. In some games, falling off of roof may kill you, in others it won't. It's important for a game to show you (at least partly) how it operates before letting you loose.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

!Klams posted:

I mean... I get the logic, sure. But last I heard Dark Souls was pretty popular, and that's like the poster child for inscrutable mechanics, and it's tutorial is literally some scribbles on the ground you can run past.

Is clearly not like that tutorial Section HAS to be there.

Dark Souls actually proves my point, in that every DS game's opening area is a tutorial that teaches you partly how to engage with it's mechanics. The DS1 Undead Asylum is a small map with a central bonfire (so if you die while learning, you won't lose a lot of progress and allows you to level up quickly), a tight corridor with your first shield and sword and a undead bowman at the end of it. There's a trap next to the bonfire to teach you to be aware of your surroundings, and you can also do a plunge attack at the boss as both a helping hand in beating the boss and to show you the effectiveness of plunge attacks. You can play a little with the leveling mechanic by killing enemies and walking back to the close-by bonfire.

You can skip the scribbles on the floor, but even if you do the game will teach you how to play it regardless. The area itself is the tutorial. It won't teach you everything, but just enough to get you started.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Only photo mode I ever used was for Nioh 2, cause of how cool the attack animations are and how you can advance them frame-by-frame to set up some cool shots.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 1, 2021

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Photo mode talk reminds me of the replay function in Carmageddon 2 and how, as a kid, I'd spend hours running over peds and editing it into a sick-rear end montage. Carma 2 was ahead of its time in that regard I think, poo poo the levels were proto open world too if you think about it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Play posted:

That reminds me, anyone else remember Cel Damage? That game was also ahead of its time. Not because car based brawlers became popular after that (they basically disappeared after that) but so many video games come out these days in that cutesy, block color style.

It actually looked quite good though, for the Gamecube. I remember the devil car whose powerups could literally shred other cars to bits and destroy them, you could use it three times before needing to recharge and it was so ridiculously OP.

This was actually an OG XBox launch game in Europe IIRC. Remember thinking it looked like the only interesting game at launch, aside from DOA3. Didn't know it got ported to the Gamecube.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

There has never been interesting space combat in the history of video games.

Whatever you do, don't let Derek Smart see this

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Lodin posted:

Oh no!!!

:asoiaf:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Who's driving oh my god dog's driving how that can that be???

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Workaday Wizard posted:

My unpopular opinion is that Vigilante 8 is better than Twisted Metal.

Definitely had catchier music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Y0HFyq9CY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__e8nsN9rYc

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

site posted:

Can't believe someone remembered this game exists

An RPG whose combat was turn based pro-wrestling against aliens is pretty hard to forget.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Workaday Wizard posted:

You have my full undivided attention :catstare:

All of this is from memory since I played the game like 10+ years ago.

Story wise it feels like Konami wanted to do a MGS type of game for the N64, so you got a bunch of intrigue and political stuff (and aliens), but gameplay-wise they managed to make something original and fun. Basically once you get into combat, you get placed into an arena and have to move around while your power bar fills. The power bar allows you to do kicks, punches, custom combos of the former, and grapples. The grapples are all pro-wrestling moves like suplexes, power bombs and scoop slams. You level up your character, and the more you use a move it will start to level up too. There is locational damage too, so you can punch a dude in his head to weaken it and then give him a brainbuster for increased damage. You learn new moves by having them done on you.

It's an interest system and I'm sad it never got any use outside of this game.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Lodin posted:

And that also let you kick Henry Rollins's rear end, didn't it? That's deffo better than Butcher Bay then.

E: And if John Romero tells you that the best way to play DOOM is with a joystick then how can you argue? Either just do it or he'll make you his bitch.

He walked that back recently. Guess the cocaine ad money was just too good to pass up back in the 90s

https://twitter.com/romero/status/1406971938057117697

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Cruelty Squad is kinda shite, innit?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

jokes posted:

Wildermyth is the best XCOM in 20 years.

More partial to Troubleshooter myself as "The best X-Com game".

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I played a demo of 40k and Infinity and holy poo poo is 40k garbage compared to Infinity. Could be the smaller scale of engagement (40ks army vs Infinity squad based gaming), but everything in 40k seemed to take forever and involved a lot more dice rolling than it should have.

But at the end of the day I got a Sisters of Battle army cause Sisters rule.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

modding is mostly for making npcs into anime big titty furry sex minigames

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Redezga posted:

I'm in my mid thirties and tried Fortnite for the first time last week. It's a world of soulless brand deals, has possibly one of the most predatory approaches to microtransactions I've ever seen, and I'm pretty sure most Fortnite dances were just ripped from popular TikTok videos. It genuinely pains me as someone who grew up on eighties and nineties cartoons to see how inevitably jacked up modern marketing at children has become in comparison.

But all that taken into account, the gameplay itself is pretty fun and easygoing and I've seen some really creative combat strategies using the building mechanic and map design/features. It actually kind of surprised me how much fun I had with it. Still evil though.

I'm too lazy to look into it, but I always wondered how this differs from the old cartoons like He-Man or Transformers which were made to peddle plastic crap to children. It all seems the same to me, just a different way to sell stuff to kids, and people being upset at it just being caught in the cycle of "Being old and not liking that things are different than when I was a kid".

It's not a personal dig or anything, mind. Just the recent tantrum people have been throwing about the new He-Man got me thinking about this.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Rutibex posted:

i tried to think of the earliest video game journalism and my mind went to Nintendo Power, which was literally just advertisements made by nintendo

For me it's the Dutch gaming magazine Power Unlimited, which was ran like a weed-beer fuelled gonzo magazine during the 90's-00's. They used to poo poo pretty hard on developers for pumping out carbon copy sequels and their negative reviews would sometimes just call the game "A loving piece of poo poo" but in Dutch. It was good times.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

its weird to watch a Jim Sterling video where he's actually outraged rather than just faking outrage

At least in this situation he's fully justified in recycling his "activision bad" take into a video, instead of just tossing it around randomly.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
DS2 is by far the weakest Dark Souls game, which still makes it a good video game.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Rutibex posted:

all my favorite games are janky. too much polish means its a AAA game and has no soul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUC4X050thU

Pretty much this. EYE Divine Cybermancy is my favorite video game and it's janky as all hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AScCVzENcjs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Rutibex posted:

original resident evil games have a charm because all the dialogue is in english despite the games being developed in japan. in japan the games have japanese subtitles

Yeah, Mikami wanted the game to have an old school foreign/American movie vibe, so they used English voices only.

Its bizarre how much RE evolved away from that original idea.