Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Bogan King posted:

So I'm going to stand corrected on this as I remembered that they're Fruit Tingles but it turns out that Fruit Tingles are Lifesaver Fruit Tingles.

Fruit Tingles were originally Allen's but have been rebranded a couple of times. They look similar, but they're not Fruit Tingles. I suspect that they are musk Lions MInts, for just a little more STRAYA in your rations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

that can't be Austrian rules football. i have been reliably informed that you are required to play that on asphalt, otherwise it isn't manly enough

You were probably joking, but:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queenstown_Oval,_Tasmania

Pretty sure the playing area is bounded by an asphalt bike track too, for extra fun.

edit:

Here's a better view:

https://www.theunconformity.com.au/events/geological-and-social-unconformities-tour/

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

:golfclap:

Honestly it looks like he borrowed Nancy Sinatra's boots.

These boots were made for walking the line.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Lady Disdain posted:

...All-Star...by Leonard Cohen

Well, dammit. There's a cover I'd like to hear but I'm never going to.

Like Closer covered by James Brown.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Memento posted:

Robo Story is exactly as bizarre and ludicrous as I remember. Great soundtrack.

Is that the one with White Wriggler(?) as the villain? No idea what the plot or who the protagonists were, just remember the sad, fat white robot.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Memento posted:

That's the one. Bizarre French animation.

Speaking of, I just found out there was a 2012 sequel series to The Mysterious Cities of Gold. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I had a look at the new opening - they used the same song (new version), which is interesting.

I'm not sure how to feel either. I'll just listen to the Ulysses 31 theme instead.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

CannonFodder posted:

Sad if true. The silly parody names were half of the fun (the other half was the loving)

A Clockwork Orgy is a masterpiece.

The real master touch if that film (borrowed from a petrol station, for a sad bachelor's party twenty odd years ago) is the guy randomly dressed as Biggles who leaves his WWI aviator's helmet on for his scene.

I don't know why my brain has remembered this, of all things.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Owling Howl posted:

Caught an ep of M*A*S*H the other day. It was neat.

For half a second, I thought this was going to be about the comedy group, Two Episodes of M*A*S*H.

Scaramouche posted:

He's joked that how the contracts worked out his son gets more money per broadcast of the TV show than he does royaltieswise. No idea if it's true.

Altman took a huge paycut to direct the movie, without any of the percentages a director would usually have, so his son made more from the movie than he did.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Chard posted:

soon we will all be dead

Oh, goody gumdrops!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nastyman posted:

:siren::gooncamp::siren:GOON MEAT:siren::gooncamp::siren:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...86!4d10.7370841

e: gently caress what an awful snipe :golgo:

I misread that as waterslide fortress and for a brief moment, was happy.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Memento posted:

Holy poo poo

Peanut Slab ice creams?!?!?

I feel that this has been unfairly buried in the wave of Shatner Horse semen but I would like you to know that I am very much the :same:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Pookah posted:

Toad in the hole is essentially a very hearty sausage pancake. Unfortunately it is rarely made well - most of the time the batter is really dense and nasty.

The secret ingredient for good Yorkshire pudding is beer.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

slinkimalinki posted:

and the spirit of the camel

in these midnight gloom

can be so very cheerless as it

ponders the meat

shortage

wotthehell this is a

wendys

drive thru

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

Suddenly I'm realising that either the monster is built like a Ken doll, or the doctor had to inspect the dicks of a bunch of corpses to find one he liked.

Pretty sure that while Frankenstein built the monster from corpses, it was a custom job. He didn't look for a good pair of hands and sew them on.

Also he explicitly built him to a larger scale, because he had trouble with fine needle work.

So, to recap, he designed and built a custom, oversized dong.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

All the dong talk made me realize what they're both looking at on the frontispiece. (I just thought Monster Frankenstein was terrified because Doctor Frankenstein had sewed his head on his shoulder instead of his neck.)

Unfortunately the engraver had no way to visualise the comedic boing-oing-oing sound that would have prevented any confusion, such as yours.

Also, Frankenstein didn't even finish his undergrad, let alone complete a PhD, so MISTER Frankenstein, if you please.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

And Making Love Out of Nothing At All.

All those tracks have that bombastic melodramatic sound to them, so is Bat Out of Hell a Meat Loaf album, or a Jim Steinman album?

I went to the internet to muse this question and found a man living his best, crazy life:

(The answer to the question is obviously Jim Steinman album.)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

which made subsequent watchings of A Clockwork Orange rather awkward.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Memento posted:

Absolutely they do, yes. The irony is not lost on us.

They also play the usual Mariah Carey/George Michael songs, you know the ones.

That said, they tend to avoid Winter Wonderland, for obvious reasons. I only heard that to the brink of insanity when I spent Xmas in the UK.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Xmas tip: if you make your own, you can fill it with whatever you want.

Plus whatever you can eat as you fill it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Loki Kunti posted:

Also true for DIY-fleshlights.

*Considers Xmas invite from Loki Kunti, grimaces, throws in fireplace and washes hands*

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Pfft, they're all just Jonathan Livingstone Seagull with the numbers filed off.

And robots.

(Unrelated, but this has me picturing Hugo Weaving in a cheap seagull costume.)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

*surreptitiously closes door to room plastered with Matt Berry and Jimmi Simpson posters.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I have this poster block mounted on my bedroom wall. Proudest possession.

I know you meant the poster of the woman on the motorbike that was old when I was a kid back in the early '80's, but I love the thought of you proudly hanging a framed copy of the handy ad in your pool room.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Memento posted:

Watching the show Bluey with my kids, I get a lot of mileage now out of "ahh, biscuits"

Also at the other end of the emotional scale, they're bringing back "wakkadoo".

My 4yo is listening to a lot of Enid Blyton, so she's all fiddlesticks and crumbs at the moment.

Which is nicer than having my own foul mouth thrown back at me by small children.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Kermit_the_Forg

Phoneposting otherwise would post pic.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Heath posted:

It perplexes me that these dipshits are so into Mishima because if you actually read his fiction he was not a happy man

Also, according to one biography, he always skipped leg day.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Riatsala posted:

We're all doomed souls chasing each other around the same drain.

(very Pink Floyd-ily)
I wish you were here...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

RIP, Eric Carle.

Dammit. At least it wasn't the meme thread.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Everyone knows that the only correct version of the bible is the King James Version. All previous and subsequent versions are heretical as the King James Bible was specifically divinely inspired and fixed the errors of the original writers to make the work fully in line with the true word of the LORD free from Papist revision and Greek error.

Jesus and King James up all hours, chain smoking and knocking the Bible out on a 50's typewriter in a dingy hotel room.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Harlan Ellison told the story of Hubbard writing his Scientology poo poo on a radio show once and it was basically this but with more amphetamines. Dude locked himself in a hotel room with a roll of butcher paper feeding into the typewriter and a ton of speed.

The story of Scientology is all sorts of hosed up fascinating. My understanding is that Hubbard financed his early Scientology stuff with money he pinched from Jack Parsons (rocket engineer and occultist, a job description you don't see much these days):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Parsons_(rocket_engineer)#L._Ron_Hubbard_and_the_Babalon_Working:_1945%E2%80%931946

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Chard posted:

scotland has deep fried cheeseburgers and so far i haven't seen anything to top that

A fish 'n' chip shop I used to go to had a deep fried hamburger with potato and cheese, which was a patty glued to a potato cake with cheese, battered and fried.

Delicious, but each one has probably shortened my life span.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

*HONK* Foul! Gratuitous key change! Yellow card.

One more and you can go join the Banana Splits in the penalty box.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Another huge factor is in very quick order we got rid of indoor smoking. People born in the 90s probably don't even remember it.

Like one random Tuesday in the summer of '99 you just couldn't smoke anywhere but biker bars anymore.

I was born in '77 and both my parents smoked indoors. I lived with smokers after I moved out and my first partner smoked. Then I briefly smoked in my late twenties and early thirties. When I quit several years ago, I realised I actually had a sense of smell, which was amazing.

Also realised I was probably that smelly kid growing up, which is less amazing.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Oh I had the board game too and it was pretty good but the C64/NES video game was great and actually still holds up pretty darn well today

Aha, but which one? Embassy, island or artic?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Zil posted:

Your dad had to have been high when he said that.

It's the punch line of a long joke about a child born with a golden screw instead of a belly button. His bum falling off is just the bathos at the end.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Atticus_1354 posted:

Just checked in with J. G. Ballard. Things aren't looking good.

I dunno, driving my wood-fired car is strangely arousing.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Mm, lämmin keinonahka.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

But enough about your sex life.

Tell everyone else to stop with the sexy pictures!

In other news, I'm not sure how this works:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Or is a mummy a subtype of zombie, being the animated dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I wonder how Oak Egg Nog compares to memories of Big M Egg Flip.

Any South Australian goons able to comment?