Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Serious question because I haven't played since RoS first came out:

Are the highest levels of play still only accessible to a very particular set of gear and skill loadout for each class? I hadn't played around with the cube, but I thought that was suppose to open up a lot more options.

If you're absolutely pushing to be the very best on the leader boards (with no rewards) then yes.

If you're just trying to get 90% of the way there you get a fair bit of freedom.

If you just want to stomp in demon's faces for 20-40 hours every season then pick a class at random and go wild and you'll hit at least GR70 (unlocks "Primal" items that come with maximum rolls on all stats).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How did late-end-game D2 Necro play? Did it have viable pet builds?

Enigma -> Teleport on top of something and it dies from your minions.

To be fair most endgame D2 builds start with Enigma.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I have found Barbarians to be not fun

I can't stand playing Monk for some reason, I like every other class :shrug:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

angerbeet posted:

Or you could go outside with friends and not worry about your ??item score?? or whatever. Have a beer it'll be nice.

Link GS and Achieve for high GR runs, no carry.

Katamari Democracy posted:

I went outside and got a sun burn. I go inside and I get an iceburn talking about videogames with goons on the Somethingawful dot com forums.

I just spent a week outside in the tropics, I am sunburnt and ready to sit at a computer all weekend playing click the demons.

Finished Act V story on my Necro and sharded all my items ready to rebirth him for the season start.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Tugboat Willy posted:

Saved the worst for last (500 elites with Command Skeletons) but grinded some normal rifts for it. Shoutout to Kaz for the help on the Campaign achievements. :hellyeah:

Grats, I need to put in the effort to do the two Diablo ones, I'm halfway to the Command Skeletons already and did the campaign in the pre-season.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Act 1 is the best town because you can almost reach the blacksmith from standing next to Kadala to get rid of all the trash she gives you.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Antares posted:

i mean it definitely depends. some 2/4pcs are huge power boosts, but DMO is garbage before 6pc. but probably generally true

Yeah Rathma for instance does no real damage on its own before the 6p, but does give survivability.

(and you really need Jesseth to make it work for you)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Is there any way to influence what kind of rift you get at all? I'm trying to clear a Torment X rift in 6 minutes but dang I keep getting really lovely spread out rifts with almost no elite guys. Just one good bloodmarsh map would be aces.

Nope, when you're trying for fast rifts sometimes it's easier to just walk back out if you get a bad map or low density.

Faster to quit and remake game than clear the Rift, unless you need the materials etc anyway.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I'm guessing it's also weighted towards class stuff

Correct there's "Smart Loot" that should give you more class specific loot and more items with your main stat (STR/DEX/INT), a lot of the best loot (class sets) won't unlock until you're playing at least Torment 1 at L70, so hitting that is your 1st big goal.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Hobold posted:

Smart loot is the biggest loving lie ever.

Full tab of not monk poo poo on my Monk this season. Drives me crazy.

Maybe I should have put the quotes around Should instead of Smart Loot :v:

Even though the off class pieces are less common sometimes it does feel like the game is messing with you yeah.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Grats! I feel like I could have pushed 90+ pretty easy with my Necro's current gear but.... :effort:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Rinkles posted:

What is the deal with mats not being auto pickup? Gems I can sort of understand because they take up inventory space, but not materials.

They did take up inventory space until the last major patch (or 2 patches ago?), slow progress... At least they've got an AoE pickup and don't use inventory space now.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah you only get one set of Haedrig's Gift bags per season, the other cosmetics etc. are account wide but you need to choose your 1st class then hope you get a few off class drops for your next one.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

The orange diamond by the legendary affix in an items text box will appear solid if you have cubes it or hollown if you haven't.

For example I can tell that you have Holy Point Shot in your cube because the diamond is solid in that image.

Whaaaaatt :aaaaa:

That'll make things easier at end of season when I'm trying to sort everything out.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Star Man posted:

No, they just have the chance to drop anywhere once you beat GR 70 that season. They're pretty rare and the two that I have seen were on bad items.

:smug:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yep that's all there is to Speed Demon, just hope you get a good seed, clear fast and TP immediately, if you've got 2 players then one TP back while the other kills the boss.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Blizzcon is on soon, so there's a chance there might be some sales from Blizzard around then too (I don't remember how it normally works though)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah for the first few days of the season at least there's a pretty good rotating crowd in the LLJK community channel that are happy to group up for the shared XP bonuses etc.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah once you've used a gem for an Augment/in a different character's inventory not your main stash etc. then you'll get another copy of it drop off the next guardian (assuming you've already got the whole set).

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Tokubetsu posted:

not high up there yet but so far natalyas has not been fun, kinda regretting going with DH but gonna stick with it

Yeah I'm not too sold on Nats but I got a ancient 1h Xbow for it so feel obliged go stick it out for now.

I think I just need The Thrill for Conquerer now but haven't done Gr70 solo.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

MMAgCh posted:

The Cursed Peat in A5.

Yeah took me about 15min making games to fish for it but I got the conquest first time with Cursed Peat as Nats DH.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Disintegrate is the coolest skill. It's too bad there isn't a single competitive build that uses it (I think?)

Disintegrate has consistently felt satisfying and fun since the closed beta to me, if I'm playing Wizard I'm finding a way to fit it in.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

bio347 posted:

Another weapon option is the Eun-Jang-Do dagger, though its ability to perma-CC a Rift Guardian is sadly gone. It's also faster than a sword for Wyrdward if you roll its damage to lightning.

That's [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker] you heathen!

Did someone say [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]?

(also all templar all the time once you're past T6 imo)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Reduced cooled own reduction is good for followers but you can ignore damage and survival stats

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

KingShiro posted:

I usually have an issue getting Dawn every season, but I've gotten like 5 AND a primal one this time.

I got one while levelling but haven't seen any at 70.

I've had 3 ancient Nats xbows though.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I've been getting back into Dishonored 2 lately and might finally get around to finishing it.

D2 is pretty great so far but I've got a couple of missions to go.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

It's been a year but feels like they tweaked the event tileset slightly, seeing a lot more sarcophagus (sarcophagi?) and boxes - less of other assorted junk.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Chapter 4 of the season journey is the main part, after that it's just cosmetic portrait frames to show how far you got.

Still provides a decent guide to progression towards higher GR etc and some things to do along the way.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I got a nice powerlevel from a goon (thanks Umberger) and didn't mess around with the weapon crafting but the CR loot let me get some key low level gambles in for that instant power spike at 70.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Cube/salvage everything, you know you'll never use it.

No trading in or out of season 2 hours after the item originally dropped with the other players that were present.

Maybe keep an off-set for the characters you currently have if you find yourself swapping a lot.

My off season stash became suddenly a lot cleaner once I realised I'd never really be playing non-season again and everything was useless (except specific achievement items and a couple of legacy Legendary/Set items)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Hexenritter posted:

what's the general consensus on which difficulty to go to and when? I've always played on hard until I've got a few rares then bumped to expert once I'm oneshotting trash mobs. I'm still getting my current season character up to 70 but after that what then? I prematurely jumped to Torment I just now but with 65k dps that was a massive overestimation of what I could do. What's the sweet spot for how many hits it should take to kill trash mobs with standard attacks before thinking about bumping up for the xp/loot?

I consider Expert a bit of a trap difficulty, it's like 50% (75%?) harder than Master for 25% more rewards (numbers aren't right but the concept is). I normally alternate Hard/Master depending on what loot I've found and then knock it up to T1 at least as soon as possible at 70 to get working on my sets.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

pyromance posted:

From a ways back, but this is also not pointing out that the witching hour is a str witching hour. They really do have an algorithm designed to pick troll builds.

I think the challenge rifts would be strictly better if they only chose builds off The Thrill conquest leaderboards.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

There used to be a fun issue when they first put in the Book of Cain to ID everything at once and it would freeze up people in your clan/community/whatever one shows the items when you did like 5+ items at once.

Lots of HC players were getting whiny that we were trying to kill them.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

DrSeRRoD posted:

Logged in a bit too early.

This should be the entire OP

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

RCarr posted:

They announced they are working on a new Diablo project, which we assume is D4.

I'm thinking well get some form of D2 HD first, which I'd still be hype as gently caress for.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Nice easy Crusader CR this week.

Public T13 games are great for farming, I've found public GR games tend to sweep through 80 as well which can help for those last few gem levels (assuming you're not completely dead weight).

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

DrSeRRoD posted:

Season 15: Boon of the Horadrim Begins 9/21

Season 15 will continue the experiment we began last season with a new seasonal buff. This time, for the duration of Season 15, all Horadric Caches earned from bounties will be doubled. This means that each time you complete a full set of five bounties in an Act, you will receive not one, but two Horadric Caches, for twice the bounty rewards!

There are a few things to keep in mind with this effect:

The bonus cache does benefit from difficulty level; it is essentially as though you completed twice the bounties.
The rewards inside the Horadric Caches are otherwise unaffected; drop rates or the amount of individual rewards have not been altered.
The bonus cache earned from Challenge Rifts is not affected; this is a separate type of cache.

Here are the sets granted by Haedrig’s Gift in Season 15:

Barbarian – Wrath of the Wastes
Crusader – Roland’s Legacy
Demon Hunter – Unhallowed Essence
Monk – Raiment of a Thousand Storms
Necromancer – Bones of Rathma
Witch Doctor – Helltooth Harness
Wizard – Tal Rasha’s Elements

Conquests:

Returning for Season 15 is Sprinter/Speed Racer, where you’re challenged to complete all of Diablo III’s campaign from Act I to Act V at level 70 in under 1 hour!
Next, we have Avarice/Avaritia, where all that glitters is gold—that is, if you can complete a 50 million gold streak outside of The Vault or its Inner Sanctum.
Boss Mode/Worlds Apart is a different kind of race; destroy all the bosses in Diablo III at max level on Torment X before your 20-minute timer ends!
A fan-favorite for those who enjoy unconventional builds, The Thrill/Superhuman requires completion of a Greater Rift level 45 to be completed Solo, but without any Set items equipped.
Finally, Masters of the Universe/Masters of Sets stretches your class set knowledge by requiring a Mastery Rank completion of 8 different Set Dungeons; get ready to start collecting!

Portrait Frame/Cosmetic Reward:

Ahahaha. Even the pet is the lowest effort recolour?

At least 2 easy conquests for any class/spec (Avarice, Thrill) to get to Conq.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Epsilon Plus posted:

It looks like I'm going to be the first to 70 among my friends again - if a friend joins my game and I run him through the appropriate bosses, is it possible for them to create a Hellfire Amulet super-early? Or are you not able to enter those portals until you hit 70 yourself?

I want to say not able to enter the portal but I don't know for sure... Don't think I've ever been in that situation.

Thanks to the goons that helped me and I helped over the weekend, start of the seasons always fun.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I'm really enjoying playing a channelling Tal meteor build this season, it's nice to have no cooldowns to wait on, you're just always going.

Normally I skip straight to Tal/Vyr archon build but I think I'll just stick with this until I get bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

DrSeRRoD posted:

So it looks like after the opening ceremony, the first game on the main Mythic stage this Blizzcon is Diablo.

https://blizzcon.com/en-us/schedule#fri-nov-2

This should be interesting. Anything but D4 is going to break the internet, so that's what I'm expecting (surprise: Druid for D3!).

Don't tease me like this Blizzard :ohdear: