Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

School Nickname posted:

The Great War was before my time, but I'd love to know what the gently caress y'all old timers did to the galaxy that loads of people just see red when goons enter the chat. I see some hostiles (NC. in particular) go on unhinged allcaps rants during big fights. Even the smaller alliances and pubbies would be content with the server turning into Serenity and becoming panfam's serfs for the rest of EVE's lifetime, they hate goons that much. It's incredible to see.
Most people really don't care.

For the few that do care and hate us, its mostly just because we're on the other side from them. That and the winning and smugness. We've also had a long string of leaders that enjoy playing the heel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Vilgan posted:

I think "they don't want us to have fun" or "they hate us because we were a crowd of clueless n00bs way back when" is a bit delusional. Goons have spent years acting likes dicks to a lot of people, pissing in their cheerios, then having Mittani hop on a pedestal and brag about it.

Scamming is an easy way to make isk, but a lot of people also think of it as pretty lovely and no one has embraced scamming like Goons
Miniluv has spent a decade making GBS threads in everyone's cheerios in highsec, engendering a LOT of dislike
Goons were heavily involved with the creation of CODE and it still has a lot of Goon participation
For a long time, Goons entire approach to PvP was throwing infinite bodies at it and zerging. I still remember fighting a giant Goon zerg with 15 dudes and ~89 kills for 1 death before withdrawing. They are way better now but back in the day Goons were AWFUL at PvP and rather than trying to get good they just threw ridiculous numbers at everything.
Then you had the whole Viceroy program which was a giant gently caress you to a lot of people, and was one (of many!) reasons people banded together to kick Goons in the teeth 4 years ago.
They also went around and used a huge numbers and supercap advantage to glass Tribute and create dislike very recently.
Oh, they also had a ton of rampant racism and anti-semitism in their culture until the "cultural revolution" cleared a lot of that out.
Sperging up local is still also something that Goons have consistently done

I'm flying with Goons now and I think they are very well organized, have a lot of great people, and do a lot to generate content for their members. Goons are great if you are IN goons. If you are on the outside, it's no surprise that most of the galaxy is happy to band together to kick em in the nads. And every once in a while if people forget why they dislike Goons, you have Mittani hopping up on his pedestal and RP'ing a giant arrogant dick to get that dislike recharged.

The irony about this is that while Goons have evolved for the better in recent years, primarily (imo) due to Asher's influence, TEST is still on following the Goons culture blueprint from 4 years ago. Everytime they seem incredibly lovely, sperg up local, only take fights with MASSIVE numbers advantage, etc. that's what Goons used to be and what many people still think of Goons today.
Don't complain about cultural poo poo as a reason to hate us and then use 'sperg' as a slur. tia.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Alone in the Dork posted:

I for one find it very strange how passionate some folks are about this. Not even on a "gently caress TEST and everything they touch" level, but on a "I loving hate the TTT so much it should burn with all it's market traders inside " level.
Jita marketeering is the real PvP in EvE.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CopperHound posted:

I need some help deciding which frat to rush. I have history in theta's JU- standing fleet, but I really like delta's slide deck.

e: I think I need to get better at bad posting for delta. I think I meed the quality benchmark, just not the quantity.
A shameful snipe and an even worse edit. Clearly Sigma material.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

evilweasel posted:

in more interesting "financial losses you caused by not logging in enough" news: https://www.mbl.is/vidskipti/frettir/2021/02/25/verda_af_26_milljordum/

To me that reads more like a performance incentive than baked in value. But I'm just an internet shitposter and not a business insider.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

What's this F2 stuff people are on about?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

OAquinas posted:

Got you beat. The wyvern I'm trying to lose was built by Niart Epar (pre-fuckgoons, obv) in Delve the first time we owned it, with large rigs. It's vintage!
Are you talking large rigs from before capital rigs? Or are you talking large rigs from before rigs had sizes?

Large rigs on a CovOps crew checking in.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

evilweasel posted:

with what money

they lost out on $100m of the purchase price because they couldn’t hit their targets post acquisition because they have no idea wtf they are doing
I don't think we have enough insight to tell if those KPI incentives were realistic targets or stretch goals.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CCP devs are still pissed that people decided to live in wormholes, and all PvE content generated since then shows it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I won't claim CCP is good at their jobs or anything. But this feels like a halfway step towards something else.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CainFortea posted:

Sweet summer child. They don't even know what the next step is after the announce a change.
What's this "sweet summer child" poo poo? I specifically qualified that statement with cynicism.

Bless your heart.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Scikar posted:

you're left starving if you just want a reasonably fair fight.
Can we stop with this nonsense? Literally nobody in EvE wants fair fights. They want to win.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Floppychop posted:

I dabble in Elite Dangerous, and for the longest time I avoided mining in it due to how terrible it is in EVE.

Turns out core mining is kind of fun. Find the rock with the stuff you want via a pulse scanner, plant explosive charges on weak points, get a satisfying explosion, and then you have little drones fly out and scoop up the stuff.

I know EVE doesn't have actual flying of your ships, but there has to be a better way than just "set mining laser on rock, wait until rock poofs, start on new rock". Hacking used to be just activating a module and waiting, and that got changed.
Yeah, it got changed to scatter cans.

Thankfully it got changed again after that.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Floppychop posted:

If CCP can figure out RMT so easily that what the gently caress is stopping them from even making a passing attempt at going after bots?

Hell, just idling in Jita and nailing the spam that's obviously from scripts would help. Just do an IP ban after X amount of character bans.
They have to be really, really careful not to ban legitimate people. If you ban a bot, they're back ASAP, even with IP ban. If you ban a legitimate person, you just nuked a customer for life, and potentially their friends and corp as well.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Baculus posted:

I do like how the directorate is kind of aware they can’t treat delta like a normal sig/squad and we’re always one hairs breadth from shooting blues.

There are actual economists running, not people who infer that CCP doesn’t understand supply/demand shock timelines. :v:
Pointing out the supply/demand shock timeline of guidance systems was particularly stupid, given the the goonswarm finance team was actively managing that price for years.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Agrikk posted:

I know it is a favorite pastime for Eve players to poo poo on CCP because, well, CCP. That said, is there an MMO of which people say, "drat! These guys get it." Is it actually possible to run an MMO well or is it simply varying degrees of running an MMO poorly?

And by "well" I mean common things like balanced gameplay, engaging content, frequent updates, pretty graphics, etc.
I think the reason so many people poo poo on CCP is that they're so close. Eve is the only game out there that truly feels massive. Fights involving thousands of individuals are commonplace and generally work. The Eve universe is huge and pretty cool. Ship types are reasonably diverse and balanced.

They just make some of the dumbest decisions for some stupid reason.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Scikar posted:

Obviously that makes a bunch of tedious PvE like null anoms even worse than they already were, but again, fix that forwards. Abyssals were supposed to be a trial run of new AI and new PvE content which is more engaging, takes more attention and is worthwhile for it. Just follow up on that by updating the null anoms along the same lines - make them more dynamic and more dependant on positioning, and make them pay out enough to make that attention worthwhile.
It'd be cool if they replaced null anoms with abyssal-style encounters that had good payouts. That'd make owning space worthwhile and make null PvE interesting.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dalmuti posted:

Bring back trzzbk to do AT commentary. Delta demands it. Doesn't matter of trzzie b has a baseball game to wank off to or not
I always liked shadoo back in the day because he was the only announcer who actually understood the meta.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

The MMO HMO > EVE 2021: Constellation of rear end

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

What's going to keep someone from just draining their own ESS?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hexel posted:

Whether it happens next week or a year from now their extraction has to be as painful as possible

Can we preemptively ref their keepstar chain out?
In a game of immortal pilots, it's way more of a win to make them slink away with their tail between their legs.

Even if they lose a Helm's Deep moment, they still get a ton of morale and a cultural reference point out of it. Having them slink away losingly is something we can mock them for forever.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why, to avoid creating some revanchist poo poo?

I won't ever claim to understand Mittens, but this is some classic game theory poo poo.

If you encourage them to Helm's Deep, all three possible outcomes (they win, they lose, they evac) are no better than if you encourage them to evac.

No matter what, if they rally the defense and win it's equally bad. But if you encourage them to defend and they lose, they control the narrative a lot better than if you had encouraged them to evac. (We gave papi an out but their leadership still hosed it up.) And given the proximity to NPC space, it's pretty much impossible to stop an evac by blowing up their path home. It'd make it more difficult for them, but they'd still be able to do it reasonably well enough. So it's better to just encourage the evac and make it seem like you're being benevolent when in reality you couldn't impact it much either way.

Edit: Also, on a meta level, it's a lot funnier if we tell them we're encouraging them to evac in the hopes that makes them go "grrrr goons" enough to actually defend T5ZI

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 19, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Phlegmish posted:

Cardinal directions don't even make sense in space!!
Why are the Drone Regions called the North, anway? They're more like the southeast.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

They aren't? The "North" is places like Tenal and Deklein.
I've heard it tons of times through the years.

I agree that it's sensible to call Guristas space the North.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Charles 1998 posted:

Except votes don't do anything on reddit. There is no penalty for getting 10,000 downvotes.

This isn't entirely true. If you get more upvotes, your posts get more visibility. Whether this is a good thing or not is debatable.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

In a way, it's kinda a good time to not own any space, because there's going to be a lot of drama around who gets reserve banks.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

dialhforhero posted:

Mmmm there it is. I was waiting for it. This is my favorite post rn.

You guys are assholes

Recently CCP devs are responding to community feedback at an incredible speed and releasing patches about the poo poo you guys bitch about. Yea the ads are hosed but that's on marketing not the core developers. I am seriously impressed with the speed at which CCP have released changes.

Best of all AT is back and I'd expect you fucks to be all smiles and sunshine but you're making GBS threads on that too.

Thank God this game is pvp based so I can explode your spaceships so you can cry about scarcity more and how it's gonna take you possibly another hour to rebuy your ship. Or boohoo muh capitals are docked. That is if you ever dare to leave your loving constellation of rear end. Circle jerking about the never ending war. Leave your magic dog dragon alone he's quite chaffed at this point. You fucks. You do know needle jacks exist don't you??? And you other shits know there are plenty of neutrals to shoot if you go to them. But loving hell all the idiots on this game have joined one of the two sides to engage in the biggest staring contest known to man kind. The winner gets to keep their clown makeup on while the loser gets sentenced to 4 more years of poo poo posting.

You want content? Make it happen.

Spoiled loving brats. This game is a million times more accessible then it ever has been but at it's core it's a niche game and it's gonna remain a niche game. Hell this is a tangent but I still feel like yelling at you guys because you all suck shits. Turned me into a navy seal copy pasta you boring milktoast Jerry simps.

gently caress your war gently caress your goons gently caress your papi

Undock in t1/faction cruises and roam you plebs.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

L0cke17 posted:

I would dispute that.

My Goons NPE was boat screaming at me for warping to 0 on his titan on my first ever fleet in a hawk and then he kicked me from fleet and I didn’t log in for a week after.

I wish that had been my first dbrb experience, because it would have saved me a lot of battleship hulls and time.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Remote doomsdays and POS bowling were 100% kosher until the first Goon titans hit the field, at which point the Devs couldn't remove and ban both respectively fast enough.
This doesn't get enough attention: POS bowling (warping a titan into a hostile POS shield, bumping ships inside the POS out of the shield) was declared an exploit less than an hour after goons did it for the first time. This was during the First War against BoB, during which shrike and molle did this repeatedly for months.

Remote doomsdays were complete bullshit, but I believe they were removed before goons got a titan.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, it was "somehow destroy the covops lighting the cyno in the 3-5 second timeframe before detonation." And 2-3 of those seconds were wasted on invulnerability.

And fragmenting your fleets between grids or whole systems so you wouldn't lose all of them at once. Everything panning out to the other side having a huge strategic advantage because you had to gimp yourself defensively when prosecuting an offensive. They didn't have to DD tank their battleships and HACs because they had full control over their use.

Again, going back to the point that BoB was literally *handed* the keys to EvE and STILL MANAGED TO gently caress IT UP.
They didn't even use CovOps. They used loving newbie frigates. Warp in, light cyno, fire through cyno, entire grid takes 45k damage.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Imagine being in an alliance where the term "line member" is a pejorative.

Granted, we use "test line member" as a pejorative also.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Zhent posted:

Exactly. Keeping your subcap pilots engaged and involved is critical, plus keeping your members happy while they traipse across the galaxy seems like 'the job' for a CEO or FC. The trail of tears, papi failure edition is bad, but at least capitals can jump, logoff, and do something else. Subcaps pounding out 80 jumps or whatever it is is just terrible.
Completely agree.

Also, I want to point out that today's harpy pilot is tomorrow's carrier pilot and next year's super pilot. Goons have grown cap characters organically over the decade+ they've been playing the game. The MO of most of nullsec is to poach cap pilots from smaller alliances.

When you constantly have content on everything from shitstack frigates all the way up to supercaps, you provide a ladder for people to climb to wherever they have the most fun.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

hello internet posted:

can the servers actually support these massive battles now without melting down like they used to?
Short answer: yes.

I was in a 2000 person HAC brawl a couple days ago on an unreinforced node and the server largely worked, for certain definitions of "worked". Way, way better than 500 person fights 7-8 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a massive pain to deal with and every time CCP improves server performance, more people join up. But fleet combat largely works at that scale. Which is pretty drat impressive compared to every other game out there.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

The art team doesn't get enough love, imo. Structures blowing up have really cool graphics. Ships look great. Skins are awesome.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

coelomate posted:

I hope we get a killmail for the tower of legends, but I'm not holding my breath given how many people will dogpile into the system to burn it down.

We're still missing one from ~ ~ ~ tHe FoRgE oF hErOeS ~ ~ ~, right? Probably glitched due to number of jobs and/or number of pilots on the KM?

Yeah, it's going to be a shitshow tonight.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dalael posted:

You have no idea how often i end up googling poo poo thats being said in this thread (heck, whole forum). My english is ok but im still mainly french. Sometimes tho google doesnt really help with the context and when i googled that word and saw the definition, itdidnt really make sense to me even in the context of deadtear's posts.

Hence why i asked. Itll probably happen again.
Cachet is social capital - how willing people are to do what you say simply because you say it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hexel posted:

just add a few more tril to the isk war tbh

we're already up double digits
Given everything papi does to obfuscate their losses, it's unlikely a true final number will ever be determined.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

:synpa: award goes to this dude in KarmaFleet: https://zkillboard.com/kill/94524074/

Got the final blow on the 8QT keepstar with a shitfit interceptor.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Making fun of test is fun and all, but Goons have couch surfed at least twice to my knowledge and pulled through. It's not necessarily a death knell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GSV gently caress Your God posted:

Coming back after 12 years, my immediate impressions have been that the UI is much improved and how ops are run is way better. To expand on the ops part, it's been great to get in a fleet, wait maybe 5 minutes for numbers, and then go to wherever we're going and do it. In the old days, it would be more like an hour before it started moving. The organization and tempo of things is so much improved.
Whoever is responsible for this cultural change is the hero of goonfleet. Going from ping->action in <5 minutes pretty much every time makes joining fleets a much more positive experience.