Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’m not a big fan of Rage (and frankly whenever I have the opportunity I mention Gang of Four was so much better), but that soundtrack choice is perfect.

Rage Against the Machine < Inside Out < 108

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UBpLevJaOE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

Depending on the day I would probably order them in all different sorts of priorities.

Rage < IO < 108 < IO < Rage < 108 < IO < 108 < IO < Rage . . . .

I mean all three are great. I even more or less enjoyed Prophets of Rage when I randomly saw them live

X-Ray Pecs posted:

J of IDEOTV (aka Satellite High) said Downset was the true "better than RATM" band, I haven’t listened to them yet though, but I’ll definitely give 108 a shot too.

the connection is Inside Out was the first big band for Zach De la Rocha and Vic DiCara from 108. I got nothing against Rage but 108 is an all time favorite band for me.

I haven't listened to a ton of Downset but I'm uhhh somewhat skeptical I'd like them more than any of the above.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Flying Zamboni posted:

He's the co-host on Nameless Cults, a podcast about horror movies. It's good!

Thanks!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

He was a regular contributor to Pod Save America until he was let go because of some Facebook drama

Allegedly.

axelblaze posted:

I don't go to as many concerts as I like anymore. It's partially just getting old, both in that I don't have the energy and bands I like don't tour anymore. Still, I go to concerts by myself all the time. I prefer going with others but most of my friends don't like that sort of thing and those that do are either picky or hard to get together with.

TrixRabbi posted:

I get way too loving tired for concerts nowadays. Every time I buy tickets the day of the show I just get that remorse and don't want to leave my house and end up forcing myself to stand around. I've seen some good poo poo though over the years.

I kinda envy this. I'm going to way too many shows in March. Next weekend i'm going to a Friday night show, a Saturday matinee, and a Saturday night show. I had to start keeping a ledger because i keep forgetting what i said i'd go to, who has my tickets, and who i owe money to for buying me tickets.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Friends Are Evil posted:

I think I've actually been going to more shows as I get older, though that may be because I live in DC now. A lot easier for me to get to shows than it was in Florida.

Same, I'm in boston and live in walking distance of most of the shows I go to now although I've also become that guy who will do road trips for shows now if I really want to go to em (I went to Chicago for Jawbreaker a couple years ago, i'm going to New York for 108 this year). I moshed for the first time in years at a show in December. I would say i'm aging in reverse but my back and feet hurt all the time now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

What did you think of the Jawbreaker show? They were one of those bands where I loved 24 Hour Revenge Therapy because an older friend gave it to me when I was like 14 and listened to it on repeat, but they broke up before I could see them live and I never really got into anything else by them.

I saw them last fall in SF at the Fillmore and, well, that show was super underwhelming for me and the couple people I saw it with. It was the middle of a three show stint and they definitely went out of their way to not play hits (and a new song where Blake spent a couple minutes trying to make us realize how clever the lyrics were), and possibly the first or last show was better, but drat it was a disappointing show. My single biggest takeaway was "yep, Blake is insufferable and I completely see why they couldn't stay together."

Adam was cool as ever though, although he finally sold his old video store to the local Alamo Drafthouse (he had been operating out of their lobby for the last couple of years after he lost the lease on his old shop). Gonna miss him, he used to just randomly give me old Jawbreaker stickers and stuff whenever I would go in there and browse the shop. Even at the show he stayed onstage for longer than I stuck around just handing out stuff to people in the crowd and signing all the band posters (the Fillmore gives out a free poster to everyone at the show so there were a ton of posters).

Edit: they also had a standup as the first opener which was . . . odd. She was fine but you can't really get energized to a solo standup with a 15 minute set. Felt really bad for the second opener who had to come on after because the crowd was arguably even more sedate after standing around listening to a comedian for a while.

So I saw them at the big comeback set at Riot Fest and for me, it really lived up to the hype. Really well put together set, they sounded great, crowd was super into it. It was also the culmination of a very fun three day weekend for me - my first time in Chicago and i had a total blast, hung out with lots of fun people, just all around had a great time so I was really primed to enjoy it, but that set felt like something special. I'm going to see them again when they come to Boston next month so we'll see how I feel about it then.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

Godspeed - I know my friend who saw them in LA on the same tour that I saw thought they were great. I'm really thinking/hoping I just had a bad night with them. For what its worth they sounded great and were super tight when I saw them, just lacking some energy and a few too many lectures from Blake about the songs he just played for us.

Haha i can see that. I actually really enjoyed his stage banter when i saw him, they opened with Boxcar and Blake immediately followed it with "General strike tomorrow, gently caress this country!" which out of all the "gently caress Trump" stuff espoused that weekend at the fest was one of the few things that felt like a political statement with any weight behind it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

porfiria posted:

Is True Detective 3 good? Wasn't 2 really bad?

Season 2 was fun bad, Season 3 is boring bad.

LesterGroans posted:

I dunno, season 2 of True Detective is a big old mess, but at least it's an interesting mess. Season 3 seemed to be too worried about getting dunked on to try anything outside of its comfort zone. Also, losing Jeremy Saulnier after the first two episodes is pretty noticeable. I would have loved to see how he'd handle that shootout.

it's funny because the shootout is literally a much worse version of the shootout from Saulnier's last movie, right down to the shooter being a PTSD addled Native American man.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 27, 2019

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Videodrome (David Cronenberg, 1983)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

The Void if such an odd movie, the effects are decent and everything else is just so cheap looking. I understand that it's a product of how they funded the movie, but it's still weird to see.

Shameless self promotion: Nameless Cults just did an episode on this one if yr curious (we liked it a lot more than it seems like people here did)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

The moment I knew I was sold on Sorry to Bother You was about 10 mins with the new team lead scene.
"Does that mean we get paid more?"
"hmmmmm no" while doing a quirky :airquote:

definitely the best movie of 2018 and probably in the top 5 for the decade

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

She can barely talk and walks with a cane.

that's sad.

if you're a Selma Blair head and want to see a great recent performance from her, definitely check out Mom and Dad.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

would anyone be willing to write my little brother in jail? he's bored and looking for penpals

yeah hit me up on twitter, i've been doing inmate letter writing stuff around the holidays the past couple years

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

She was my favorite part. Cage is an obvious love but I really dug what Blair was doing. She nailed the confusion and utter disgust perfectly.

Pretty underrated/underseen movie all around, I didn't realize it was by Neveldine (or Taylor? I forget which one) until the end but it makes sense. I think Nicolas Cage said it was his favorite role that he's played in recent memory.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mom and Dad also has my favorite special guest appearance in I don't know how long, Lance Henriksen showing up at the front door and just immediately macing Nicolas Cage in the face

oh also Grant Morrison showing up as a talking head on TV for like five seconds was a fun surprise

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

it was Brian Taylor. They split up for now, but are still good friends. I wish Neveldine would direct some episodes of Happy! which is probably my favorite show right now. I've been craving more Crank level stuff but nothing really nailed that level of insane creativity until Happy! (which is done by Brian Taylor)

Ah, that would explain the Grant Morrison cameo.

I haven't watched any of Happy! yet but Chris Meloni is good casting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Is I Stand Alone no good? Always meant to get round to it eventually.

I Stand Alone is very much "Oh, is this edgy enough for you?" the movie.

Irreversible and Enter the Void are okay but I don't really need to see either one again and I think the latter kinda wears out its welcome.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah I devoured those Lois Duncan books as a kid. I remember Ransom being pretty wild, about a bunch of kids getting held hostage on a school bus.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I went to NETA and they're pretty cool, despite there being a line around the block. Tax wasn't too bad either. But yeah, I don't know where they get off, given that Lowell, Mass is one of the shittiest places in the country because of heroin.

is NETA open for recreational yet or is it still strictly medicinal?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Recreational and the selection is good.

nice, my friend used to go there but he had a card for it. there's some place in Salem that looks cool too and i love taking any excuse to go to Salem.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

in uh movie news here's the last three things I watched:

Noroi: The Curse: Kind of a chore to get through (took two sittings for me), but once i settled into its groove it was pretty enjoyable. Ending was freaky but also ticked the boxes for some of my found-footage pet peeves. Reinforced for me that mockumentaries > found footage movies. Made me wanna rewatch Ghostwatch.

Leonor: Hidden gem I had never heard of. Gothic supernatural tale starring Liv Ullman and directed by Luis Bunuel's kid. Doesn't seem particularly acclaimed (just got a blu ray from Kino which i think is the first time its ever been on home video). Slow paced but great mood setting, might not work for everybody but i loved it.

To Sleep With Anger: I love stories about folksy charmers who may or may not be the devil. Wanted to see this for years and it did not disappoint, maybe Danny Glover's best performance. Funny and creepy in equal measure, good all the way through but the last 15 minutes or so are really fantastic.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coaaab posted:

I loved this exchange:

"I have to know who is in my house."
"You invited me."

which is all a part of the movie's vague supernatural horror vibe that nevertheless is almost never explicit within the film's diegetic elements. Oh, and the underlying war between blues and gospel.

The whole movie is soooooo churchy and moralizing but never feels obnoxious about it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

a generation cursed with popcorn lung and internet brain

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Everything is tainted with carcinogens anyway. Popcorn lung is the least of our worries. Large sections of the town I live in were built on toxic waste dumps including a high school and a middle school surrounded by a residential neighborhood (no points for guess a lot of it is where poor and non-white people live!).

i just like the image that phrase conjures

but yeah there's a playground down the street from me that's filled with lead apparently

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

oh hey, that gives me an idea for a Youtube of the Day

An Injury to One, excellent 2002 documentary about the Butte miner's strike of the early 20th century and the hideous pollution that still lingers at the site of the old mine.

Only about an hour long, great soundtrack by Jim O'Rourke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhmkldrBhTs

Trivia: Dashiell Hammet was a member of the Pinkertons when they were called in to quash the strike. Red Harvest is considered by some to be a loosely fictionalized version of the events.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Is sort of interesting how even if someone is over 70 and had a great life, it's still "what the gently caress cancer, leave him alone"

Like I'm sad about Alex too but this culture of death worship is getting weird

in the case of Trebek it's in part because he was such a constant presence on a show lots of people watched with their families for like three decades plus, and also because that video he did was goddamn heart-wrenching.

but on a lighter note it led to this video doing the rounds and i've watched it like three times today and cracked up every time

https://twitter.com/Bmac0507/status/1103432024306606081

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

also i'm gonna be real here for a sec: you never really know which one of these is gonna hit you hard. I'm not, like, a The Prodigy superfan, I know and like their big hits but that's about it, but seeing that that dude killed himself at 49 kinda knocked the wind out of me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

Check out Occult, that's a good Noroi follow-up, too bad the director ended up doing stuff like Sadako vs. Kayako

Yeah i'll probably check out Occult at some point although i also feel obligated to point out that Sadako vs. Kayako loving owns

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

Really? Most I read portrayed it as overlong with a 10 mins fight at the end.

It's very good goofy fun, like a better Freddy vs Jason.

K. Waste posted:

What you read is bullshit, SvK owns hard. It's easily one of the best Ring films and much more handily probably even the best Grudge movie.

yeah it's probably my favorite Grudge movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

What’s some good French New Wave stuff? I’ve got Breathless and Shoot the Piano Player on my list but there’s kind of a lot to look at

Elevator to the Gallows is really great

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Death By The Blues posted:

Also, has anyone here seen Prime Cut? It is a bizarre mashup of Peckinpah, 70s Independent Cinema, and Hitchcock with Lee Marvin, Gene Hackman, and Sissy Spacek. Half an hour in and it rules.

Yes, Prime Cut is sleazy as hell and kinda made me want a shower but it’s pretty rad and Gene Hackman is excellent

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

What makes them similar is that that they have different directors, effects studios, CGI people, production crews, stunt coordinators, composers, writers, etc, yet every single one is the next episode of the same Saturday morning cartoon. They even say they do this on purpose and haven't really been shy about that.

To put it in comics terms, it’s house style. The same way that for a while every superhero comic looked like a Jim Lee comic despite having different pencillers, different inkers, etc

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fart City posted:

God drat is The Friends Of Eddie Coyle good.

Count your fuckin’ knuckles.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fart City posted:

I love the on-location shooting. You can practically smell the stale beer at that Bruins game.

Great use of ugly-rear end Government Center too. I love the suburban train station where that stakeout takes place too, i think it's in Malden maybe?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The guy who did Sons of Anarchy? No way

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Very good that the 17 year old was arrested and the important senator who struck a child on camera after making Islamophobic comments got gently pushed back by his security

i thought the kid got released without charges, either way though it is scary seeing him get tackled in the video. kid's a good egg.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

this part's pretty good

https://twitter.com/sheckyyoungman/status/1106925628614311937

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bloodborne is dope.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It’s not about Columbine but the best movie about a school shooting IMO is Denis Villeneuve’s Polytechnique. Devastating film.

I started watching Vox Lux the other day but haven’t finished it. It’s weird.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I watched Harold & Maude. It's a good movie, but it did not do it for me at all. Which is odd because I'm a massive Wes Anderson fan. I think it's because of the specific brands of quirky the titular characters were. When Harold said he liked going to funerals I just thought, "Whoa, look at Tyler Durden Jr. over here!" And elderly people losing the ability to drive isn't a joke, people fuckin die because of that. Maude's carefree car stealing ways directly endanger everyone else on the road. What really killed it for me was how poorly the movie and Harold treat his three dates. They're presented as being boring or inconsequential people, and it's good fun when Harold fucks with them. They are there to date Harold, a guy who has absolutely nothing to recommend himself. He's just a sadboy failson, one of those women had a really important job, another one had an actual ambition and goal. They were all way too good for him. Hey Harold, maybe your time with the therapist would go better if you actually ever said anything to him. If living with your mom is so stifling, maybe get a job and move out of the house. I get that she doesn't show you the love you need, maybe if you actually talked to her or did literally anything other than spend the past several years staging faked suicides you could spark change in your relationship with you. Thank loving god an elderly lady dropped out of the sky to drag you kicking and screaming out of your sadboy mansion life, and then die at just the right point for your character development.

Man, gently caress Harold.

Harold & Maude and Being There do absolutely nothing for me but The Last Detail is one of my favorite movies. I get to go see it on the big screen on my birthday this year and i'm super excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

What's the vibe in this room, is it a hot take to say that New Order is better than Joy Division?

i would say that's almost consensus at this point