Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Yeah I'm not cool with that, either. I am however quite cool with someone getting fired for being a Nazi. Funny how I can hold these two apparently conflicting ideas at the same time.

Sure. Having a DSA sticker isn't creating a hostile work environment, unlike having a swastika or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

haveblue posted:

Did they actually put this out as an official announcement, or is it more that they scheduled a meeting which was then reported on as a possibly unintended consequence?

Check Mnuchin's twitter.

He just...tweeted it out...

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It's 2018; if your joke hinges on a sentence absolutely no one would say in seriousness, "Hitler is cool" doesn't work anymore.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

ewiley posted:

https://twitter.com/HollyKinnamon/status/1078316678033928192

LOL it's ok guys just do some carpentry or w/e, I'm sure your landlord would be fine with that.

Haha jesus, the original tweet:

https://twitter.com/USOPM/status/1078309890832166912

We may or may not be encouraging you to commit crimes to pay the rent. You can afford to hire a lawyer and ask, right?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Trump just learned about backslashes and got excited.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

KillHour posted:

Those are forward slashes.

That is my mistake and I appreciate the correction fake news

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So if the wall is fully renovated and built, and Mexico is paying us--mission accomplished?

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I really wish I knew enough about Magic: The Gathering to make a joke here, but all I know is that everyone in my circle of friends and acquaintances who plays it is a loving weirdo about it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Debt ceiling chat:

DynamicSloth posted:

Reportedly they have alternative means of staving off default until the summer if they need to.

Can the treasury employ those means while the government's shut down, though?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

"Meme wars"? The gently caress?

General Kenobi,

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

Eh, Christian Bale bugs me.

Ague Proof posted:

Those were destroyed in the second movie.

:wow:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Separation of church and state? Completely un-American!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

1stGear posted:

Didn't Trump take out a full page ad in the Times demanding the Central Park Five be executed even after they'd been exonerated? Seems a bit worse than blackface imo.

I mean, he announced his campaign with "all Mexicans in the US are rapists, drug dealers and criminals", and if someone doesn't think he's racist after that would seeing him in blackface really convince them?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Wilhelm posted:

I gotta disagree, tons of progressive friends I know really don't like Warren for bastardizing indigenous background and literally submitting a recipe to a relative's 'pow wow cookbook'; this is something Trump can easily just repeat and wipe her with

If that's the attack he was making, it would be effective. But Trump doesn't have the context to understand what cultural appropriation is or why it's bad. He knows this is something that hurt Warren, so he should keep reminding people of it.

But he doesn't get that the reason it's bad is because claiming that ancestry was disrespectful. And you can't call someone out on that by making a bunch of racist jokes.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Can you really just say "that should have been reported as a positive, not negative"? Next time I gently caress up I'm gonna tell people "actually, that was good, and not bad".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

quote:

The president is not a part of these negotiations. He’s waiting for a bill to come to his desk that he can sign into law,” she said. Democrats are “the ones hurtling us toward a shutdown.”

"I'm not doing poo poo to help, therefore the problem is you."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I would really love to know what AIPAC's purpose is, since they apparently are a lobbying group that explicitly denies lobbying for their stated goal.

Maybe they segued into the fundraising with "she's right, give us money so we can keep doing that"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Another shooting in Aurora? Jesus gently caress.

It's Illinois, not Colorado.

Or was there another one in Aurora, IL too?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

narrative dysphoria

what.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Pudding Space posted:

Uh huh. And I'm sure you apply the same standard to every other faith.

First, take the log out of your own eye.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Isn't it? Isn't it over?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Aren't they supposed to start drumming up a reason we actually need to go to war? Like some way that they might be a threat to us?

Obviously whatever happens Trump will just say "I didn't need to do this, we're just there to take the oil". But Cheney must be kicking himself.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

quote:

For the record: Individual #1 is President Donald J. Trump.

My god. This changes everything.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"Is someone else paying Mr Davis to represent you?"
"No. Are you offering?"

Okay, that was pretty good.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"IT'S MY TIME, NOT YOURS"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

haveblue posted:

Between the left becoming the party of people with no money and the right becoming the party of trashy fast food the entire concept of fine dining is now endangered.

All you have to do is add the word "millennials" to this sentence and it's a thinkpiece

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

It's not as bad as it initially looks, but it's still not great.

The only positive I can give is that she's saying "how will it work" instead of "it won't work", which means a leftist can corner her and explain how it works and hopefully she'll come around.

She's not lying, she's talking about Medicare For All, meaning a thing where we directly copy Medicare with no changes whatsoever for everyone else

I'm not really happy that the Speaker of the House doesn't seem to know the difference!

It almost seems more plausible that she's pretending not to know on purpose for some reason.

And either way, it's been a year and a half since Sanders put the proposal forward. if she genuinely doesn't know, she's really gone out of her way not to learn.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I know they're playing up the 'hermit kingdom' thing to pretend that Kim, like, never talked to a westerner before or something, but fuckin lol @ the narrative of 'we had our first experience with american diplomacy and loving hate it, bye'.

I don't know if that's the hermit kingdom schtick. "what the hell is your political calculus" is how everyone reacts to dealing with Trump.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 28, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Wow, that is very conspicuously not an apology.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

Wow watching that View footage is harsh. The McCains aren't usually known for crashing and burning.

:wow:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Ballz posted:

Last minute here, but Westboro Baptist Church was in Virginia today to protest Delegate Danica Roem, the state’s (country’s?) first transgender member of the legislature. She’s turned it into a fundraising opportunity and is thiiiis close to raising $15,000 in a single day.

https://twitter.com/pwcdanica/status/1101700113045573632?s=21

Danica Roem is an ICON and this makes me really happy. Seriously, people turning out to support someone who's trans after a hate group comes to town...good to know it's happening somewhere.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Fragmented posted:

I have to reply to the Portland hate.

I have lived here most of my life(1981-2009 and 2012-now) I work in the capacity of a social worker now and screw you people that are saying Portland is still a racial state/whatever you think. We are more inclusive than any of your states when it comes to programs for drug rehab/criminal justice rehab. etc.

Fight me.

glowing-fish posted:

I can give you three examples of ways that Portland and Oregon has helped break down segregation and racial injustice. These aren't perfect things, and they aren't all unique to Oregon, but they are significant, and I think they should be considered. Rather than deal with impressions or anecdotes, I will give concrete examples of laws that contribute to racial justice.

What the hell is this.

It's barely been two weeks since the police lieutenant in charge of handling protests was revealed to have actively collaborated with Patriot Prayer, and less than that since they were revealed to have withheld evidence against one of their members who repeatedly assaulted people (ignore the headline of that article, the key sentence is "prosecutors have asked police for more evidence, and police haven't provided it.")

And the police union insists that these are all just "peaceful protestors" and antifa is to blame.

Of course, the real elephant in the room here is that the "Portland hate" you're responding to started with people talking about the recent series of attacks on queer folk, almost certainly in response to the fact that, again, the police have made it extremely clear they're not gonna go after anyone for this. I don't know if you've talked to someone involved in the queer community lately, but it basically feels like we're under siege.

So if you're in a position where you want to talk about how great this city is, I'm really happy for you. I am. I'm happy you don't have to worry about going out alone at night. I'm happy you haven't seen your friends with scars or burns from this poo poo. But you really need to understand: you're living in a different city than the rest of us.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1102302218903003141

not surprised at all. id be amused if trump ends up just 180ing our support and openly supporting the north koreans over SK because his "deal" brain worms.

I know "normalized" is overused but it's still so bizarre how he drops "for which we are not reimbursed" and it's not a big deal that the president expects other countries to pay for military operations apparently.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I assume she meant "introducing myself by my relationship to a man isn't very feminist" but it really sounds like a jab at trans people somehow.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Majorian posted:

It's definitely the first thing. How would it be a jab at trans people? Introducing herself as a "wife" doesn't have anything to do with someone being trans or cis.

It's the "identify as". If you're not familiar, that's sort of an awkward liberal phrasing when talking about trans folk (see: basically any newspaper article involving a nonbinary person), that sometimes gets adopted and mocked by the alt-right. Reddit, for instance, has this "I identify as an attack helicopter" meme.

Similarly, "it's not PC for me to say I'm a woman" is pretty textbook transphobia.

Put it this way: whether that's what she intended, that's exactly the syntax she'd use if she did mean it, and that's how anyone right-leaning in the audience received that message.

It's not a big deal, I just wanted to clear that up for the thread, since there seems to be some confusion about what makes it problematic wording.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

What Jane Sanders said was very loving strange but what's far more mystifying is all the people in the thread saying, "Actually, I'm a straight man and let me tell you... there's nothing offensive about the extremely bizarre poo poo that she said, even though many women have openly expressed offense on Twitter."

Not, you know, "Jane Sanders is Bernie's spouse and it's Bernie who has declared his candidacy, not Jane, so what she says doesn't make or break his chances, even if she says something lovely."

Yeah, exactly this. The statement is not a big deal.

But if you see a trans person saying "hey, this is really, uncomfortably similar to rhetoric that's been thrown at me", and you dismiss that as "super weird", out of hand, just because you haven't had that experience? That is a problem.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know some Presidents literally owned slaves but I can’t think of a President who was personally more morally repugnant than Trump.

:yikes:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Gatts posted:

I said colored man. Person of color. Both implying there’s a person. Is the implication I just said colored?

Because it’s clear in US justice people are treated different depending on being connected and of color

"People of color" is fine. "Colored" is what someone's racist grandpa says.

Similar to how "trans" or "transgender" are good adjectives, but "transgendered" will get you weird looks, and "transsexual" will (unless you're self-describing) basically have everyone backing out the door.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I don't even know where to begin with the US calling Cuba imperialists.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

This may be the most unfuckable face I've ever seen.

You're absolutely right, which is too bad because this is the perfect setup for "turn on your monitor".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Isn't Disney about to own all the entertainment parts of Fox, while the news parts remain separate?

Pretty fine distinction.