Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah it's just bog-standard strong white flour and packet yeast, nothing artisinal going on here. Fridge is a good idea, I'll give it a go (and as I'll also be making a few more loaves my normal way tomorrow it'll give an interesting comparison).

It depends on how much yeast/sugar/salt and moisture content it has. If it’s a recipe meant for only a short proving the. There’s a chance that if you leave it overnight the yeast will exhaust its food source and you won’t get much of a rise when you bake. You can slow the action of the yeast by putting it in the fridge or adding more salt. Fridge is easier.

Unfortunately. I know enough to know this but I can’t give you specific advice on ratios for the ingredients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Interesting Twitter thread where people claim to be cancelling their Momentum memberships because of that vid they did just recently about debunking antisemitic conspiracies.

https://twitter.com/redrobshaitan/status/1101230852565012480?s=21

Seems a really bizarre thing to get riled up about to me but there you go.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Necrothatcher posted:

watch it a few more times and get used to it bc the guy is one of the most articulate and smart leftist voices in the current media

I kind of get this though. When he's on something like QT he tries really hard to say things in a hard-hitting, impactful way but it seems like it doesn't come naturally to him.

At least I think it's that. He's still great though and got a lot of insightful stuff to say.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Necrothatcher posted:

feeling doubtful about a guy because he's totally correct but in a way you find slightly off-putting feels suspiciously like centrism.

and.. you guys aren't centrists, right?

Nah you're right, that's not really what I'm trying to say though. I don't feel doubtful about the guy at all.

Just saying I can understand if anybody finds him a bit hard to listen to as I don't think he's a "natural" when it comes to that kind of speaking, in the way that e.g. Corbz is. And that's fine. I'm a rubbish public speaker. I think it's more of a fault with the format of QT than any flaw of Owen's.

I think I just prefer his style of speaking when he's a bit more at ease. He always seems more natural when he's e.g. doing 1 on 1 interviews and stuff like that.

For example this interview:

https://www.theguardian.com/global/...questions-video

I think he's great here. I could listen to him for hours doing stuff like this.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Lol that he wants a loving horseshoe theory chamber though.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

baka kaba posted:

He just sounded genuinely angry to me, and he did a pretty good job of sounding controlled and getting his points across despite that.

No well, that's fair, I just think it's fine if somebody doesn't like listening to him for whatever reason and I get it a little bit (though I still think he's great overall and I'm also quite happy to watch his TV stuff).

baka kaba posted:

And I'm gonna out myself here but I don't think Corbz is that good of a public speaker

And again this is fine and a few people say that. IMO he's pretty good. I think May is beyond awful at public speaking but some people (mainly at the Guardian?) seem to think she's really good.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Uh, you ok there bud?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

Essentially if you're gonna say people died because of the IRA, you might wanna follow that to its logical conclusion and wonder why the IRA existed and whose fault that might be.

Because a favourite tactic of bad countries is to point at violent political opposition to them and say "look at this unprecedented violence" as if paramilitary organzations just spring up out of nowhere for no reason.

Allow me to post something relevant from one of the great philosophers of our time:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=qX_0763FOjA

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Noxville posted:

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1105096047024619521?s=21

Burn this country to the ground. Brexit is too good for us

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NGFToiLtXro

Jihadi baby, and if its quite alright,
Jihadi baby, I would like you to fight,
Jihadi baby, trust in me when I say:
Jihadi baby, we will kill infidels,
Jihadi baby, we’ll send them all to hell...

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, as passably posh RP accent on demand haver, it sort of helps but it doesn't actually fix your lovely circumstances.

I would not call it "easy mode" because "easy mode" is being born into money. Having useful social traits might give you a slight edge in some situations over other working class people but it is absolutely not a substitute in any way for real capital or connections.

It’s like playing on “Hurt Me Plenty” instead of on “Ultraviolence”.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

coffeetable posted:

glad that the ukmt agrees that because i sell my labour as a hedge fund quant, i am working class

Do you also have investments / own a rental property / speculate in any way?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

brian posted:

I honestly hadn't seen this account post but still I appreciate a good expose

https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1105474095242772481

Lol I'm sure I remember arguing with "her" a couple of months back and calling out the account as an obvious fake then.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Jam man's house - it's the one with the blue door as far as I've been able to ascertain.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1281230/Jeremy-Corbyn-refused-speak-journalists-doorstepped-him.html

Sorry about the mail link, but that's a vid of corbs being doorstepped and coming out of his house. His is the one in the middle with the wooden fence and the vines or whatever.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Just got an email from my good mate Jez:

quote:

Dear Goon,

Defeated - twice. Theresa May's awful Brexit deal has just been defeated yet again.

A snap General Election has never been more likely. We must be ready.

The Prime Minister is driving Britain closer and closer to the cliff edge on March 29. Her failed negotiations have given us a deal that threatens jobs, workers rights and our economy. Theresa May wants people to believe the choice is her deal or no deal.

Neither are acceptable.

Goon, a General Election is a step closer tonight. You and I know we can't rely on a handful of donors like the Tories. We have to work together.

Will you help fund our people-powered movement?

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 12, 2019

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Just pointing out that this is by @SwedeMason, the same guy who did "Buttery Biscuit Base". Well worth a follow on twitter.

He doesn't post new stuff that often but when he does it's usually gold:

https://twitter.com/swedemason/status/1063022097235087360

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I remember seeing a thing a while back, quite possibly on youtube, which was about how reporters in the uk media have changed.

They used to actually try to get information from people in a sensible manner, pressing them where necessary but not getting all paxman on them.... and now every fucker like Maitliss thinks they need to be shouting at people and poo poo during interviews. Paxman was actually decently good at it as he understood when to press and how to do it but the people who've tried to imitate him are cunts and just don't get it - they apply the same base logic of "get shouty and angry at people" but with none of the nuance or finesse.

Does anybody know where I might have seen this? It seems like something Charlie Brooker might have done on Newswipe but I'm not sure.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Julio Cruz posted:

...MK is on the West Coast Main Line which goes into Euston?

It is but if you're coming from anywhere east/west or not along the M6/M1 then the rail route is gonna be convoluted. Even then Oxford which is about 35 miles away as the crow flies, you have to go up to birmingham and then back down to MK if you want to do it by train.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The rare triple negative

No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no deal amendment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkEXGgdqMz8

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

baka kaba posted:

techno techno techno techno (solutions)

Nice.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Legend, thanks.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Everyone greeting Theresa May on her way out of the house.

"Goodbyeee~"

I could feel that cut from Lincolnshire.

Yeah that was fantastic.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

At what point does a vote cease to be "meaningful"?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The other CBT, then.

Fascists on motorbikes?

E: gently caress sake.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Posting this in case anybody hasn't seen it yet:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884184&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Lowtax's spine is hosed. He's had some surgery but it didn't fully sort him out so he needs more, he's massively in debt because of the medical bills and the forums don't give him much of an income anymore, so there's fundraising going on in order to keep Lowtax (and also the forums) alive.

Now is a good time to donate to the forums (directly through the forums gets him the biggest cut I think) - buying avatars, account upgrades etc. counts.

Also lots of people have signed up for his Patreon which was for his Gaming Garbage podcasts/Youtube stuff but is now a general "Rich Kyanka" patreon which will also support the forums.

https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage/overview

He's also going to be live on youtube tonight starting in 2 hours from now (which I guess will make it midnight in the UK): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS8BtqelTWU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

feedmegin posted:

11pm probably. Y'all change your clocks a few weeks earlier than us, thanks Dubya.

Right, yes, 11.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

code:
INT. SCIENCE LAB

Two technicians JOHN and GREG are at work conducting tests on unknown chemical/biological samples. 
They are both wearing protective gear. 
In one corner of the laboratory a large beaker full of green liquid boils and bubbles.

Suddenly a third technician, DAVE bursts through the large white double doors at one end of the room.

DAVE
           Guys! We've done it! We've finally done it!

JOHN
           You mean - ?

GREG
           The formula? It works?

DAVE
           Yes but not just the formula, the cloning tank 
           is up and running!

JOHN and GREG exchange a glance with each other, clearly in disbelief.

DAVE
            Guys do you understand what this means?!
            We can - 

GREG
            We can finally create a clone of Willem Dafoe
            with the smugness level increased by 900%!

JOHN
             Yesssssss!

JOHN pumps his fist, and then JOHN and GREG exchange a double-high-five.

GREG's brow furrows as he remembers something.

GREG
             But won't that level of smugness increase the 
             weight of his head and face five-fold?

DAVE
             Yes but don't worry, the boys in engineering
             are already on the case. The best solution
             seems to be - 

Dave pauses and grins. There is a moment of shared realisation and then:

ALL TOGETHER
             A BRASS NECK!!

The three scientists share a laugh, some high-fives and pat each other on the back.

END SCENE

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 18, 2019

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Why is Piers not being a snivelly little poo poo in here

Probably didn't want to get made look like a total oval office.

I mean it doesn't stop him the rest of the time but you must think at this point that at least some people in the media know that you don't gently caress with Akala or he will school you.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Party Boat posted:

I think he ran in Bucks in 2010, since then he's contended hosed seaside towns.

UKIP head office was briefly in Buckingham which struck me as odd at the time. He does definitely have some link to Buckingham (Bercow's constituency) but idk the extent of it.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone always leaps to heroin as the worst drug ever, but the worst things about it are:
  • Possible jail sentences up to 7 years for simple possession, because of its high illegality.
  • Being forced to deal with violent assholes or dangerous chemistry to get it, because of its high illegality.
  • Criminality to get cash to pay for it, because of its high price, because of its high illegality.
  • Trauma and infectious disease transmission, because of injection, because that's the most efficient route of administration, because of its high price, because of its high illegality.
All of which have a common denominator.

Outside of that common denominator the main dangers are:
  • Constipation
  • Muscle cramps
  • Unfitness to drive or operate heavy machinery
  • Maybe some poo poo with μ-opioid receptors if you use it for decades

30 Goto 10

You missed one: Uncertainty of strength/impurities in supply. My cousin died in around 2000 due to this - there was a bad batch that lead to a bunch of overdose deaths. This'd be sorted out by legalisation, and presumably people would also have access to naloxone in case of overdose?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1108369140094590978

She...she really doesn't grasp how unpopular she is, does she? This isn't a threat. This isn't a thing people don't want to happen.

She doesn't read the papers anymore as it's "too distressing"... so no she has no idea.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Thought you guys might be interested in this news from Canada:

It would actually be perfect for the Queen to die right now.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I hate to dash anyone's hopes about the petition but:

No petition has ever made any difference. If it can get up to 20m votes then maybe, but I doubt it.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Live scenes from the EU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUC2EQvdzmY

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've probably seen T2 about 300 times, ever since the You Could Be Mine video blew my mind as an 8yo GnR fan. Try to suggest a better movie - that's right, you can't, shut the gently caress up.

Have you seen the live show at Universal Studios?

It's pretty great and I recommend it. Fun fact: The 12 minutes of film they made for the live show was for a time the most expensive movie per minute ever produced. Thinking about it, maybe it still is? It cost $5m/minute to make.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Just watched this vid and thought it was good and thread-appropriate. This guy's channel is p good in general I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4CI2vk3ugk

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/ceteraIM/status/1109100873118945282?s=20

btw we're probably headed for another global recession on top of Brexit, so that's cool.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

TheRat posted:

I mean yeah, hasn't that been obvious for a while? The banks have been back to their old tricks for quite some time

Well yeah but this is apparently a really strong indicator that one is coming imminently.

https://twitter.com/johnauthers/status/1109108956142682114?s=20

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

Probably good news for would be leftists because "launch all capitalists into the sun" is gonna be real goddamn popular policy soon.

Lol no it won't, it'll be the fault of immigrants and there'll probably be a new war somewhere as a distraction.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

baka kaba posted:

Like if we were going for customs union + single market, would we even need a backstop?

Well yeah the backstop is about avoiding a hard border in Ireland and if there's a customs union then there's no need for one is there?

Free movement is the other thing I guess but then there was always gonna have to be free movement between I+NI otherwise that violates the GFA doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

Funny story about that, my nana recently asked me how he was. I said he hadn't changed much.

Dementia is funny except when it's not.

So interesting story about dementia. We found out in the last 6 months or so that my gran has it. It's led to me being told some things about her I didn't know before, namely, she's actually quite a nasty person. Apparently she used to bitch about everybody she knows and used to be a real nightmare for my Grandad. My Grandad died like 25 years ago but before he did he gave her a real piece of his mind, told her what a nasty bitter woman she was and all that kind of thing. My Mum has kept in touch with her all these years but generally been pretty reluctant to e.g. go and see her or stay with her as she's so difficult.

Anyway, just recently, she's had a complete flip - she's nice as pie, happy to be around people and all around just a nice and happy person. So it's not all bad I guess? I don't think her memory is super bad yet so obviously things can get worse, I just thought that was really interesting.