Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Elyv posted:

If I was a shapeshifter I would also have abs like that

I respect Oko's bold taste in pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

If someone poo poo talks Commander it's either because they are bad at friends or hate fun

Counterpoint: I don't like Commander, but it's because I'm bad at fun and hate friends.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Annoyingly, while it answers what happens when a mutation fizzles (the creature just casts normally), it doesn't answer what happens if a mutate stack dies. :argh:

Given the fact they didn’t specifically address it, I would assume it all dies at once.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Reading the planeswalkers’ guide honestly got me kind of annoyed with Vivien, because she spends a lot of time being judgmental of Ikoria’s humans for not living in harmony with the giant unpredictable monsters that frequently try to kill them.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

flatluigi posted:

vivien's entire thing is preferring monsters over humans so I don't know why she'd change now

Oh, it’s definitely in-character for her, don’t get me wrong.

Doesn’t stop me from thinking “Come on, Vivien, give the poor bastards who are stuck here a break”.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I *think* that's going to end up worse than the times we've gotten a 1 mana 1/1 that taps to give something haste, but that's definitely an interesting card for limited.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I really want a good build-around shark at uncommon, I think it would make for a fun draft sharktype.

:v:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

That’s pretty underwhelming

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

tokens are up

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/tokens-ikoria-and-c20-2020-04-09

there's also non cat tokens but who gives a gently caress

That dinosaur cat is loving adorable and I need it as a playmat.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This is a pretty substantial upgrade, and it's the first time you can grab a triland with a fetch in older formats.

Murmuring Bosk :smugbert:

But for real, these are bonkers.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So the B/R hellion Obosh companion doesn't double the damage Gary can cause because "damage" causes "loss of life" but "loss of life" isn't "damage", right?

Correct!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

that is bonkers but i'm not sure how a 3/4 and a 3/3 is 9 damage?

The mutated creature can swing on T2, it won’t have summoning sickness.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I know Companion is strong and all, but it is an incredibly reassuring feeling to see that your opponent has Umori as their companion. So much you don't have to worry about!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

odiv posted:

Well, the guy labeled EDH is actually still on his horse. :eng101:.

And limited is going "Whoa, holy poo poo", but is also still mounted and out of the way, checks out.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

can't wait for War of the Friend where there's companinos all the way down to uncommon

Companion - All nonland permanents in your deck must have companion

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

You keep posting as the end of physical OP is the end of kitchen table magic with friends. Why do you think this? What is supporting this idea? The overwhelming majority of magic products sold today will never see a deck registration sheet, because they are being played unsleeved at a friend's house. Paper OP and Paper Games are not the same institution.

like the end of OP probably impacts, no joke, the 2 guys who run a podcast out of my LGS about competitive play and the two grinders that draft, and then the other 40 of us who play Commander together will continue as normal.

Pretty sure Yawg isn't talking about high level tournaments and whatnot so much as about FNM and prereleases.

I loved being able to drop by the LGS every Friday and sign up for draft, and hang out with people. About once a year, there'll be a GP or whatever in town, and I'll go check out side events, or sign up for the main event to flame out early, if I'm feeling spicy. Sometimes there's a limited PPTQ that I'll participate in. I'd hate to see all of that tossed out the window. Yeah, stores would probably put together some kind of game night regardless, but there's really something to be said for WotC supporting FNM as in institution.

And for drafts specifically (which is pretty much the entirety of the Magic I play), trying to put them together casually is a giant pain in the rear end that only happens rarely, in my experience.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Is it really power creep if it’s only ever going to be played in limited (where it is pretty spicy, yes).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I know we've had big flashy counterspells before, but this definitely seems like the best of them. Next closest would be Draining Whelk, probably? And even that isn't necessarily that much better than similar creature counterspells.

I don't think the format necessarily ends up supporting this, but it's a good card.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I think there's probably a healthy middle ground to be found between "Alright Here's Your Anime Plane You Degenerates" and "Oops All Shinto". Like, Kappa are at least broadly recognizable, but their sole presence in Kamigawa is on a lovely artifact that says they're all dead.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

Witch's Kitchen.dec

A witchen, if you will.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I think that the various Tezzerets are all pretty well balanced, with Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas being a particular favorite of mine.

1. He's got a clear deckbuilding requirement (lots of artifacts), and all of his abilities key off of this.
2. He's got a very reasonable amount of starting loyalty--3--and doesn't tick in huge increments-- +1, -1, -4--so his abilities all feel pretty well in reach, but also he's never just unkillable because of a giant wall of loyalty
3. His - really opens up space for having random utility artifacts in your deck, because he can turn them into threats
4. His ult is significant without necessarily straight-up ending the game. If you're fighting the ult, you can also try and get rid of artifacts.

I like him a lot.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

fadam posted:

Not a commander player, but I love the flavour text.

I really love everything about this. It's one of those times where a card is just kind of perfect on every well. An aesthetically perfect card.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Eh, Warrior Tribal is a theme they'll come back around to, they've done it before, they'll do it again. And it's a callback to Boldwyr Intimidator which was a Warrior, anyways.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

Annul has been printed four times in, respectively, the enchantments matter set, artifacts matter set, enchantments matter set and now the "vehicles, equipment, snow, MDFC gods and tribal" matter set, and every time it is utterly underwhelming but you will get absolutely crushed by someone actually daring to run it maindeck 1/year.

There's a very special kind of frustration that only comes from losing to a bad card that you know nobody should play.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

SMH at mtg supporting tagging everything with your rune-gang art.

Rune-Gang Clan ain’t nothin’ to gently caress with.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the uncommons have been knocking it out of the park this set

Oh man, I'm excited to draft around that.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Urabrask is way too interesting a character to die offscreen.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

I coulda sworn vorinclexs whole deal was that he could barely talk or think but maybe im misremembering over a decade ago lore

No, he's not bright, but he's not that dumb.

That being said, "mindless ferocity" is what he espouses as the ideal state of being.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I’m really down on the idea of sets with licensed IPs. Like, the Forgotten Realms thing was already kind of not great in my opinion, but at least it’s a WotC property. LotR as a full-on set? No. Just no. Those are settings that flat-out do not mesh together at all, and whoever had the idea doesn’t care about either one of them.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Why do settings meshing together matter at all? Its not like Fake Greece and Mirrodin mesh together.

Not in the “same world” way, no, but in a same multiverse way, they do. The different planes are all pretty high-magic, which makes sense when the assumed role for the player is “powerful planeswalking wizard”, and your recurring characters are also planeswalkers. LotR is much more low-magic; any spellcaster you see is in one way or other an actual divine being. It just doesn’t mesh to me as “and then there is the plane of Middle-Earth”. And 40K is even more extreme for this kind of mismatch.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

araeris posted:

My speculative argument here is that neither side of the old sales relationship was very interested in dealing with modifying the reserve list situation. Presumably big game stores and distributors were/are actively against any modification. Tough to say how much actual appetite there will be to do something different with the new relationships.

That could be your monkey's paw moment though: you get a functional reprint of some of those cards but they're only released through brand crossovers now that its all interior to Hasbro.

Nah, the big retailers like SCG have all said that they’d much rather have the reserve list gone, or at least cut down. More money to be made on formats that aren’t dying to price hikes.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Is this set the first where they’ve referred to players attacking? It feels like a wording change but maybe I’m just dumb.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Tulul posted:

Frost Lynx has been sent to the big farm upstate to join Wind Drake.

Why hello there best blue common in the set

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

This goddamn stupid pun almost made me throw my phone across the room.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Funnily enough I’m pretty sure one of the not stupid extended Harry Potter lore answers is literally that American Quidditch is more violent and lets you use magic (within reason).

Actually, Quidditch isn’t as much of a thing in the US, they play Quodpot instead, which, yes, is more like Magic American Football, first coming into existence because of a bad batch of Quaffles that would explode. I hate that this information is in my brain and I’m able to remember it without looking it up, because it is the most useless thing I could possibly know.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

A Moose posted:

please stop, this isnt even a funny trap sprung. Learn more things until you forget this poo poo

I'm trying! Kid me liked Harry Potter and read those two little supplementary books about Quiddith and monsters and it lodged in the crevices of my brain and they won't leave. :saddumb:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

In that design will think of them a little differently, yes. A Red card with blue and green added in vs a blue card with red and green added. Wit

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

hes a dark elf right? so i guess hes black and an elf. this is the extent of my knowledge of him tho

like why does he have double strike, is he super fast or something

He dual-wields scimitars

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

BFZ was the last really bad forma. There’s formats that aren’t great, there’s formats that are boring, but you have to work to reach BFZ/AVR levels.

I think one of the big contributing factors was that both sets had a color completely collapse—black in AVR and green in BFZ were both straight-up undraftable unless you were literally the only person drafting them, and you got lucky with what got opened. And I want to stress the “literally” there. That isn’t really hyperbole.

I drafted way too much AVR, which had the compounding issue of only really having two other archetypes—WR and UG, and the WR deck was wildly inconsistent. Going UG with flicker and partner was by far the best thing you could be doing. The removal was so bad that you really couldn’t kill a partnered creature. So just flicker Mist Raven instead.

BFZ, as far as I can remember, mostly had the issue of being boring. The Eldrazi deck wouldn’t really take off until the next set, and... I don’t really remember the other stuff going on. I remember the white retreat being good, and spells that could kicker animate your lands were kind of neat.

Overall it’s a lot harder to recover from a chunk of the set being way too weak than it is to recover from an archetype being too strong—looking at you, RW cycling in Ikoria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I had an opponent T1 Dark Ritual against me in Strixhaven draft, to power out... a 3/1. Felt really smug about that.

I then went on to lose because they had a bunch of cheap removal to back it up, and I felt really dumb.