Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Belichick changes scheme week to week and modifies the scheme to fit the players he has.

Belichick's assistants burn everything down and purge the roster for their ~scheme fit~

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Looking back on it now, 20 years after the saga started, I'm less sure how to grade the Raiders handling of this. If AB was always angling to get cut so he could be a free agent, then the details of how the Raiders did things kind of don't matter because it was never a problem they could really solve (aside from not trading for him at all.)

Dumping Cooper to chase AB never made much sense to me in the first place, but not because I anticipated any of of this insanity - it just seemed weird to dump a young quality receiver who never caused the team grief, to chase after a fantastic but also older guy who had drama with his original team.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kellen Moore if he gives the Cowboys an Actually Good offense for 16 games.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

At this point I think Kraft is just going to keep on riding the Brady-Belichick train until the wheels fall off.

No poo poo?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kitchens is in the Chernobyl Cleveland control room :f5: the AZ5 button.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 25, 2019

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Gerund posted:

Shanahan - last NFL job
Zorn - QB coach for a few years, XFL comeback?
Gibbs 2 - last NFL job
Spurrier - last NFL job
Schottenheimer - went on to coach San Deigo and rubbed his success in Dan Snyder's face
Norv Turner - wasn't Dan's guy but is still an OC since then

The job is a tomb of the Pharaoh

Clearly what's missing is someone from Belichick's coaching tree.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Play posted:

Either way that's another thing that Freddie Kitchens is not responsible for. The players need to step up and play without mistakes, which has not been happening

Nah, "Just execute my perfect plan better" is the noise shitass coaches everywhere make.

It's basically gase.txt

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

LabyaMynora posted:

The thing I'm learning about a lot of football teams is they keep a lot of scouts, front office people and coaches around even when they make changes.

For example, the current OC of the Vikings, Kevin Stefanski, joined the team as Assistant to the Head Coach in 2006. That would have been Brad Childress. He's stayed with the Viking this entire time, through Childress's time, through Leslie Frazier's time, and now under Mike Zimmer.

To me, that's insane. When a team fires the GM and Head Coach at the same time, they say it's "cleaning house." But it's not if you're keeping all these guys below them around.

So look at teams that traditionally don't draft well... say the Bears and their difficulty drafting quarterbacks and wide receivers historically. Is it because every GM they hire sucks? Or is it because they've been using the same scouts for decades, and even though those scouts can evaluate defensive players very well, they can't evaluate QBs and WRs for poo poo?

I don't know the answer. Like I said, this is something I just found out recently. But it seems like when you have a team that's chronically bad, or always seems to draft certain positions poorly no matter who is in charge, I wonder if this institutionalism is the root of the problem. :shrug:

Conversely you have guys like Dante Scarnecchia who are eternal assistants for the same team who own.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Deki posted:

McCarthy's future success entirely relies on if he decides to bring back his clowncar of lovely assistant coaches he was super loyal to.

Wasn't Andy Reid in his late Eagles years like that too?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I... uh... what? :wtc:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

Judging by trends this season I wonder if anyone is going to try to shake up coaching this season and just hire a guy as head coach who is exclusively in charge of managing game situations, taking timeouts and challenging and just the overall mechanics of the team. Then just paying out the rear end for a College guy to run the offense and finding a decent DC on the other side as playcallers.

This is basically how the Cowboys operate now, except Jason Garrett is bad at the role you described instead of good.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Better head coach, Gase or McDaniels? Both guys got jobs based on being OC for a HOF QB who could just change the play at will anyway.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

How did Quinn turn into such a train wreck of a coach so fast?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Jason Garrett is somehow going to survive this season and I'll have to see his face again. This will annoy me even though I don't want Dallas to be any good.

This is me, hard :same:

Kalli posted:

The sucking wind motion I just made as I'm having trouble wishing that evil on even the Giants.

:hmmyes:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Lmao

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

bobjr posted:

Jerry is negotiating for all the dirt Garrett has on him.

You can own the stadium if we get it in writing that you can never coach again.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Carlosologist posted:

The Giants are interviewing the Pats ST coordinator which is at least somewhat interesting? But I feel like he’s yet another figurehead since Belichick loves special teams

Keep hiring Patriots coordinators forever, NFL

Pros: almost always steal a regular season win from the Pats no matter what (even Patricia did this haha)
Cons: how long have you got lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

If the Patriots dynasty dies in the next 1-2 weeks, it will still live on forever in all the shitbirds from Belichick's disease vector coaching tree running teams into the ground until meatbag coaches are replaced with AIs... programmed by Stephen Belichick and Matt Patricia Jr.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

jason garrett is the exact kind of spineless dummy who’d agree to a year-to-year contract situation until he wins 12 games and jerry can extend him for longer

I know this is a joke but it actually sounds like a great deal for Garrett. If Jerry always gives him another year then why not just keep taking it? It's not like he's a running back who will be legally dead by 28.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's not like Garrett is some wonderful guy who has earned a pillowy-soft nudge out the door, he's a backstabbing shitweasel who specializes in kissing rear end and ducking responsibility. Of course Jerry Jones sees those as positives so whelp

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I'll go out on a limb and say Marvin Lewis was a much better coach than Garrett, but operated in an even worse ownership/"GM" situation. Garrett looks better on paper in terms of win % and playoff record, but contributed less to the team's wins than Lewis did.

Garrett was never anything but a huge nothing whose biggest claim to fame was not having his team just completely quit trying. And his clapping.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Simplex posted:

BOB is actually the coach that everybody thinks Jason Garrett is. Has a very talented roster in a lovely division, but still manages to stumble into the playoffs every year where he loses at the earliest convenience. Nobody in the NFL has done less with more.

Why not both?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

McCarthy can be good if he brings in some fresh faces to challenge his thinking as Coordinators. If he hires Joe Philbin/Tom Clements/Edgar Bennett/Jeff Jagodzinski as OC and Bob Sanders/Dom Capers as DC then lmao

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Yeah, strong agree here.

This is a Good Take right here. :hmmyes:

If he brings in lame old retreads then just laugh/cry depending on your attitude to the Cowboys.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Vulgarian posted:

I think history is going to be very unkind to Kraft's decision to retain Brady and dump Jimmy G.

I mean after they moved Jimmy G they went to 2 Super Bowls and won 1 of them and Brady won MVP while Jimmy G started 8 games total.

Let's see Jimmy G accomplish literally anything first.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

oldskool posted:

Wade Phillips is available :bahgawd:

I think you meant :baby:

If the Giants hire Garrett I might laugh myself literally to death.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

evilweasel posted:

edelman is basically exactly what Brady is looking for, and is why he's so good on the patriots and basically no other team is all that interested in him

moss was more of a gronk-type where it just didn't fuckin matter you throw it to where he is and he gets the ball, as opposed to needing to throw it very precisely to get the ball through a very tight window

Brady was also weirdly good with Brandon LaFell in 2014, of all people. :iiam:

I also remember someone did some analysis and realized that Tom Brady's deep ball efficiency spiked when the Patriots got him...Chris Hogan?

Amendola was also great with Brady except his bones are made of crushed pretzel sticks so you never knew if he'd ever actually be around or not.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Belichick shows up in black face next season.

Please.

He would provide a faked Ancestry DNA test.

"Do you see the hoodie I wear every day...
homie?"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I kind of love how Belichick assistants always latch on to being an immense rear end in a top hat as the key to Belichick's success instead of, I dunno, being smart and good at your job or even just cheating properly lol.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Better Than You posted:

Saquon is getting benched because he isn't blue-collar enough

YOUR UNIFORM IS LITERALLY BLUE, WHERE IS YOUR LUNCH PAIL?!?!

I get that press conferences are all dumb poo poo in the NFL 99% of the time anyway but jeez.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

AndrewP posted:

ahahahahaha.

This is what got Rhule the job in Carolina too. NFL owners are too loving easy

These are people still mad at Bill Walsh for making the NFL a ~finesse league~ in the 1980s haha

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Judge is made entirely of catchphrases rejected by Robert Kraft for being too corny.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kalli posted:

The correct portrait is Death Wish 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Bk1IsaWm0

It's beautiful.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Witten was Literally the Worst, full stop.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Will McDaniels run Mayfield out of Cleveland for Tom Brady, or try to turn Mayfield *into* Tom Brady?

And which one will be more tragicomic?

e: Comedy trade for Jacoby Brissett Jarrett Stidham option.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ahem.

Ayyyyyy LMFAO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Garrett was supposedly stripped of offensive playcalling duties years ago. Not a great trait for your future OC.