Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

So they're giving up Crimea? That's reasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

speng31b posted:

https://twitter.com/GabeZZOZZ/status/1595485000216068112

there are a hundred tweets like this but i don't think they're highly credible

Seems like an awful lot of damage for an AA warhead

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

supersnowman posted:

Could have started a fire with no FD response but it seems extreme.

What. There is obvious blast damage along the whole building.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Heavy trucks in cold and dry climates, famous for lacking any fluids whatsoever,

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Futanari Damacy posted:

Believe it or not, some people like to see other humans get "red misted" for fun, amusement, I'm not really sure- but we don't stand for it here thankfully. I for one appreciate the vigilance in trying to keep that crap out.

please change your av, I don't want to see clearly blood soaked garments

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

They already rebuilt Mariupol

Did they though?

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

It's a photoshop. First the fake ban message, now this, what else will the media literacy thread jump on without bothering to check? :v:

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

You're welcome to find the ratio of photos featuring the additional 4 to ones not featuring it: https://www.google.com/search?q=zelensky+pelosi+flag

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Not So Fast posted:

It's not photoshopped, it's been flipped to make the SS more legible. Looks like it's supposed to be something in Ukrainian.

By photoshopped I mean it's been altered to change what is on the flag, not flipped. Does this help make it more clear?

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Starsfan posted:

I think the question of whether the flag was photoshopped or not is of secondary importance and a distraction from the real question of whether Ukraine is the sort of country that would write a hate symbol on their own flag to which the answer is unequivocally yes.

You can make that point without stooping to the level of propagating easily disproven content though, probably helps your cause in the long run too :)

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

It's flipped. You can see "TO THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES" is backwards on the image you posted.

You've missed some progress in the discussion, I advise you to skip ahead to "it's the thought that counts"

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

You could have just said "her eyes aren't blue," because I'm not sure how deliberately dying your hair blonde for the obvious Valkyrie costume helps here

The intent of it is pretty obvious - Ukraine (or at least its currently dominant nationalist culture) is hugely into nordic viking poo poo. The extent to which this is nazi-adjacent likely varies depending on the individual, though the concept as a whole is obviously deeply intertwined with white supremacy in the modern era.

How is any of this distinctly Nordic over, say, Christian? The wreath is much more Mediterranean but made of grains to seem Ukrainian, and the aureole is clearly not Nordic either. Seems like the description of an Archangel is pretty apt to me.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Danann posted:

(from t.me/zoka200/5716, via tgsa)

quadcopters evacuating damaged quadcopters from the battlefield

So Russia is running out of drones?

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

"anti", opposed to, against

That the power perpetrating the act may or may not be an imperial power itself has no bearing on acting against an imperial power in turn

Ergo, anti-imperialist

Ah, the rare context-dependent antiautonym

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

There is no ceasefire treaty, remember? Ukriane rejected the Christmas ceasefire.

It was never a treaty, Putin still ordered them to not fire though.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Technically, Russian forces could respond to Ukrainian fire, basically there wasn't a ceasefire

How many weapons shot in self-defense trigger sirens?

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Isentropy posted:

The Ukrainian security state would never show such bad faith as to turn on the alarms after an artillery exchange they started first

Not to be snarky but I'm just not getting it here. There's also the possibility that the people who run civil defense alarms have no clue what the army is doing.

The reports were "all over ukraine" and I'm pretty sure a lot of that does not fall under the range of artillery

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Kind of misleading considering the grounding was ended 5-6 years ago and the failure rate isn't particularly high compared to say the S92. They are in use just fine across the world: https://www.radarbox.com/data/aircraft/EC25

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

They counted only those buried in Russian cemeteries at ~60 specific settlements, and estimate that number to be 40-60% of the total Russian regular forces killed. So 20k-30k at minimum, and this doesn't include separatists or Wagner. I guess that's one way of underselling your losses.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

Who cares? This war won't end from these kind of losses. Your fantasy of every Russian dead isn't going to happen.

I know your brain is literally broken and all but extrapolating "man that estimation sounds like a honk of poo poo" to "man it would rule if there were 4 more zeroes on that number" is kind of a stretch

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

OhFunny posted:

This block will hit Ukrainian forces' ability to use drones for recon and artillery spotting.
Considering both the DIY and DJI drones communicate directly with the controller I don't see how that would be the case. At most they could try and geofence the DJIs through spoofing the download of map data, but that update needs to be done manually by operators.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Weka posted:

Why is Putin Team Russia in English?

Moreover, why does the street sign have an English translation?

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

I remember when this war started someone explained nazis is just what Russia calls everyone they don’t like in Eastern Europe. hahah yeah indeed

If you're talking about the post I think you are, it's the other way around. It was about how nazism is mainly remembered as the "kill all Russians/slavs" ideology, which from that perspective, fair enough.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

mods please reinstate the 10 minute post cooldown, this is worse than the thread in april :f5:

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

speng31b posted:

not a terrible idea, if other people would like to see this it can be done for a bit.

I was only half serious, catching up the weekend's posts cost me 80% of my workday (the remaining 20% was spent on the toilet), maybe it died down a bit idk, I skipped the final 30 pages because I clocked out of my work laptop and now am focusing on time well spent

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

it's like clenching your butthole really hard when you need to poop. It's just gonna hit the bowl anyway, but with more force and buildup behind it

Most Dutch toilets have a little presenting/inspecting plateau dating from the time that worms were rampant, I can poop with whatever force I want and my scrote stays dry. If I poop too much my giant penis does need to be protected though. It's a double edged sword.

And the plateau has pros and cons too :dadjoke:

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

If you ask people here why the feel that way they feel about current events, it's usually based on some historic perspective.
As a tachyonic creature I actually inform my worldview from future events

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

kronix posted:

Math and CS degree hence getting scooped up to a cushy job by the man

What kind of z-tier diploma mill PO box trump university money laundering excuse for an academic institution did you get a combination CS math degree and not have literal dozens of job options before graduating

Or was it more you being a booger frank the tank mmorpg shut-in liver cirrhosis wake n bake ogre jock moron?

Leandros has issued a correction as of 05:10 on Feb 28, 2023

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

So I've never seen it discussed here but does anyone else check out of reading articles whenever they mention the phrase "illegal war" or did you develop like a cognitive callus where you just don't see it anymore

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Turtle Watch posted:

I actually don’t mind illegal on a technicality that under certain laws it actually is illegal, now whether either party is under the jurisdiction of the applicable international laws is less clear. Even less clear is who will prosecute and administer punishment.

It’s when they put ‘unprovoked’ or ‘unjustified’ that I zone out. Like all of a sudden causality in the universe has ceased and the war sprang into being. You don’t have to agree with the justification or think the provocation justifies the war, but there is a relational line between Maidan, Minsk, and an ongoing civil war, that led to Russias illegal invasion. It doesn’t even necessarily make Ukraine not the more-wronged party to admit this, but message discipline has to come before reality.

e: for example under Ukrainian law it is illegal for Russian troops to engage in unauthorized military activities in Ukraine. Textbook illegality, open and shut case if they press charges.

See generally when someone says "unprovoked" or "unjustified" I just chalk it up to probably not knowing all the facts, which is very easy to achieve when you're in the western media bubble. I think plenty of uninformed leftists are in that spot. Calling it illegal is generally just a high and mighty judgement and not something even remotely based on legal grounds because that would require effort to build the case for it.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Turtle Watch posted:

Of course if you believe that the law and morals are the same thing, and the US is a good guy upholding International Norms I suppose this does not seem jarring.

I don't think the US is seen as a good guy per se, it's just that whenever something scary happens and is amplified in the media, they're already halfway through the B-52 takeoff checklist. Something has to be done because there's suffering, and there is already a clearly appointed bad guy presumably, and also the past is not a good indication of how things will go so gently caress it I guess?

Nix Panicus posted:

Also the whole 'illegal' war thing exists wholly to create the idea of 'legal' wars, so the average idiot can say that imperial wars of conquest in Iraq and Afghanistan were good, legal wars because [file not found], unlike the perfidious Russian orcs and their illegal wars of imperial conquest

Its just a rhetorical device for the worst people to indulge in a little moralism

I've never seen the explicit use of "legal war" because I think that would actually make people think about how it's weird that you would add that qualifier, as if you're trying to hide facts and steamroll people. "Just war" is definitely something that can be applied retroactively for people to feel good about though.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

I don’t think people in the west will like the results of they run this war through just war analysis.

it's just words bro, it's fine

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think maybe I should have posted that book about the underlying reasons for the conflict in Ukraine AFTER the GBS refugees had started coming in so we might not have to argue with things like "its about Putin's revanchism"

This thread is impossible to catch up on, especially if considering the previous thread's volume. Maybe an effortpost containing counters to common objections should be edited in on the first page, similar to the giant post of a couple days ago containing all the links between e.g. claims of Uyghur genocide and Zenz et al? A sort of canon.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

If someone does the math, I'm not going to deny the numbers. But so far it's just people saying "I bet it adds up" and refusing to support the claim beyond squinting at a chart. They do the math and find out for sure!

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?...ion+of+bolivia+
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?...+of+north+korea
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?...n+of+kazakhstan
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?...n+of+nicaragua+
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?...on+of+sri+lanka
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?...ion+of+vietnam+
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=4.227+billion+people++%2B+population+of+zimbabwe
There you go

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Btw, that VDV unit clearly survived and was relieved by naval infantry,
Wait what? At Hostomel? Why did they use marines?

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Weka posted:

Do you have a link you could share about de Ploeg's Jews did 9/11 position?

It's Kees van der Pijl, author of "Flight MH17, Ukraine and the new Cold War". See e.g. https://www.academia.edu/38701130

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Obama also won the Nobel Peace Prize while bombing the hell out of weddings, so I assume it's some Orwellian doublespeak.

While bombing the hell out of another Nobel Peace Prize winner :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

The color revolution in Kyiv wasn't about east and west.

It was about violence, just like every other time in history.

Yanukovich wasn't ready to fight and kill to hold on to power, the nazis were. They're in charge, he isn't.

Wait are you talking about the Orange revolution or Euromaidan? How bloody was the former?