Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm new with this but I'm doing Meditations by Marcus Aurelius rn

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42085305-a-handbook-for-new-stoics is more structured. i came across it via revleft radio, it goes well with reading marx and being involved in a real world org of some kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Xaris posted:

tbf to Amazon,

lol

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

they should let me sit in the pilots seat like its a big tonka toy

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i realize the point is to cut rates for cheaper money for capitalists but wouldn't you want to hold rates where they currently are if inflation is returning to "normal" so theres rates to cut if theres a recession

you don’t usurp jpowells job by supporting his governance

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Business Gorillas posted:

This is true. The BMI thing was iirc invented in the 1900s and has a little bit of race science behind it

same with IQ, invented by stanford eugenicists

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

triple sulk posted:

unless zirp 2 happens and then it'll go back to normal

Vox Nihili posted:

zirp 2 is pretty much guaranteed

yeah it doesn’t matter, tech workers are starting to understand what it was like when the us de-industrialized and told everyone to “learn to code.” whatever happens with finance capital, there is no return to “normal.” yay for heightening contradictions, I suppose

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Rexicon1 posted:

these dipshits 100% believe all art can be made by the algorithm guy saying the magic words to the robot.

yes because they literally believe they can have another robot tell them if the first created an art or not. they worship ai as personification of the market, as a real and tangible god

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

thechosenone posted:

Counterpoint: Bitcoin is a black hole that can suck up even a supernova of quantitative easing. If it gets hooked up to the money hose it defeats it, breaking everything. Mark my words it is bailout proof. Putting more money in is either just as bad as everything else or worse if the people bailed out run off with that money too.

spacemang_spliff posted:

I hope Bitcoin destroys the great satan

triple sulk posted:

not sure whether bitcoin or all of ai is worse for the environment *right now*

i'm guessing ai is probably worse if you add everything up

:cheersdoge:

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

triple sulk posted:

and now for the worst thing you will see all day, and possibly all month

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1745533600064528429

guillotine

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

webcams for christ posted:

a sustained 600k price would probably lead to much more mining

yes hello i would like to call in an airstrike

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

i say swears online posted:

sounds like the company axed all the salespeople who hadn't closed a single sale since onboarding

which honestly makes sense,

you are banished to the countryside

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

triple sulk posted:

the same thing that divides hr and talent

hear me out: customer talent

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

10000 is two numbers. 8300 is three numbers. :smugdog:

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

euphronius posted:

I can’t read the whole tweet tho

this is funny on its own as an indicator of enshittification

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

this gets a lmao

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

loquacius posted:

Judging people who are streaming their layoffs and mad about it because they're not yet numb to the cruelty of the system is lib, sorry

Solidarity even with the youngs

yeah it’s unironically good that the zoomers are hyper social about this poo poo instead of swallowing their losses in personal shame. it may be refracted through the circus of social media but the impulse is purer than making fun of them for it.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Mr Hootington posted:

Macron gave some sort of interview or speech today where he said he wanted to further "liberalize" the economy and do fascism.

but you repeat yourself…

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Slow News Day posted:

You realize y'all have been saying this for well over a year right? That recession is right around the corner (or, on the more unhinged side, that we are actually in one but the government is lying)?

Is the goal here to continue saying it until you are eventually proven right, and then smugly go "heh, I told you"?

the economist michael hudson calls it the long depression and you have to believe him because he has a phd you sniveling weasel boom gottem

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/jan/19/boeing-plane-emergency-landing-miami-florida

lol boeing

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

i am harry posted:

you grew up with motherfucking bumble bees
we got six good years with them

bees are chuds

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Mr Hootington posted:

None of this is ever going down meaningfully unless the dollar breaks

hey buddy can you break a dollar

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Bixington posted:

Italians can't even do fascism right, why the gently caress would I trust their products?

they invented fascism, the lack of trust is supposed to be there!!!

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

SKULL.GIF posted:

a dozen rate hikes and we're still back at free-money levels last seen in 2021 before a single rate hike happened

fed reserve policy error seems almost inevitable at this point. they'll start cutting rates because the Vibecession is Great, things will start going haywire, they'll panic hike, and the economy explodes as we experience a brutal second wave of inflation

I don't expect a single one of you to believe me. after all, 2022 was a blip. stonk does not go down. stonk always goes up. nothing bad can ever happen. go full port in NVDA right the gently caress now.

SKULL.GIF posted:

we had a whole full year (2022) of the stonk market (rich people's feelings) going down like 8% total and everyone was so loving catastrophized by it that they piled into the investment opportunity of a lifetime, literally ripping out their eyeballs and veins so they could buy as much NVDA as humanly possible because Stonk. Does. Not. Go. Down.

all of these moronic slop hoggs are gonna chortle wetly at you and tell you "why would you doubt stonk?" as they put 99.9% leverage into AI

yes im old enough to remember asinine stonk concepts like “corrections” and “bear markets” but those concepts have disappeared behind the event horizon of hypernormalization and Cannot Happen, it’s a sight to behold

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

#nofilter

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

i cant afford dip, sorry

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

https://twitter.com/julesaroscoe/status/1750277587136331898
Is it possible to be an anti-fanboy

Because I don't feel all that strongly about Intel and AMD but yet...

lol l that’s grim

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

lol kyc for the cloud

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

this thread needs an ik

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Nonsense posted:

The economy is expanding, and you must expand with it

the goonilogical constant, dark calories

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Shear Modulus posted:

what.cd was the pinnacle of human cultural achievement

I was always a fan of audiogalaxy but then I was younger then and the world was new to me

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

euphronius posted:

I believe that overall conditions are changing

conditions are chuds

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Mr Hootington posted:

Heads up to the few of you who matter. Looks like the libs will start saying you are a Chinese spy. Changing from Russian spy.
https://twitter.com/Lowkey0nline/status/1752029264432541710?t=mJfVpM4SCNjCPKPm0fdzkw&s=19

lol I’m old enough to remember when the imperial gaslighting machine worked properly

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

err posted:

libs are lashing out at any and everything

the biden directed FBI is also likely surveilling this subforum and any antiwar group that has organized recently

maybe in the lf days but I firmly believe neoliberal rot is terminal and it’s all been subsumed by algorithmic monitoring attended to by ladder climbing business majors chasing their quarterly KPIs

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

borrowers should be able to specify their own rates imo

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Justin Tyme posted:

Jesus headset weight and fatigue have been a huge known issue for years now I would think Apple of all people would understand that

another winning quote from that review is that apple apparently doesn’t realize people tend to talk with their hands lol

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

im with the capitalists, tech workers shouldn’t be allowed to talk about their pay online

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Raccooon posted:

I have noticed smaller towns in my area have been passing local ordinances against how many rental properties you can own. Lot of the locals were getting pissed their towns were being turned into massive Airbnb locations. Wonder if housing will just have to be fixed by local regs that trickle up to the state level over time.

housing is like pensions or tech jobs, you’re either someone in the club who has access, or you’re not. that won’t change without a revolution

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Xaris posted:

whatever happened to that guy saying all this onshoring is DEFINITELY* happening and profitable and it’s just a matter of time before domestic production skyrockets?

there’s a bfc economics thread where all the worst people in the world and the boat guy post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

guillotine