Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Pictures of my project in process Seca II since there isn't enough seca love in this thread.

93 Seca II (xj600s the S is for slow)

50tooth rear sprocket
timing advance
ported head
jet kit
fzr header with a gutted R6 can

Ignore the rivets sticking out of the windscreen I'm still in the process of making a front fairing. I'll post more pictures when I finally finish painting it.

obso fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 19, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
These are random motorcycles my dad came across in Baghdad. How do they keep them so clean in the middle of a warzone and most of the strets are dirt?

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Ripoff posted:

What the hell is that going to? Is that a brake line?

After looking at that closer, the bike does appear to have a remote mounted turbo just above that. And yes that looks like where the rear brake would have originally been and they just added a coupler to run the line to the back.

I bet she leaves a grease streak for miles the day she falls back into those tires.

obso fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 9, 2007

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

pr0zac posted:

I can't be the only person on earth who thinks that exhaust is just stupid looking can I? It looks like when idiots put too many exhaust tips on their cars or something.

Not at all. The rear end on that bike makes me throw up in my mouth a little. Individual pipes in their own right are badass but that just looks poorly executed. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Interesting cold air intake this guy has going on here.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Silver posted:

Top one is a Honda, drawing a blank on the model of it though.

CB-77 possibly

Click here for the full 1600x1064 image.

obso fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 26, 2008

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Choom Gangster posted:

they hold up in crashes just fine.

quote:

Our seamless injection-molded ABS plastic outer shell is form fitting and super flexible. Because our non-DOT-approved helmet has no expanded polystyrene (EPS) inner shell, it fits close to the skull

Really?

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
IIRC that smaller tube is the crankcase vent. Blocking it off with a cap is a pretty stupid idea (as you found out). Just get a length of rubber tube and run it from that nipple into the air box (or if you are sans-airbox then route it high and stick a filter of some sort on it).

You may want to double check that tho. I've tried putting all that info into repressed memory. Tip - a yz450f engine into a yzf450 is not the easy swap it's made out to be.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Slim Pickens posted:

:catstare:

Is that a SR500 with a Duc tank?

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

slidebite posted:

If the riding game challenge was your bike with a wild ruminant you could have so had it.

Altho I do see a rope around its neck so it may not be completely wild. This picture looks completely normal for the midwest where I grew up (OK), but not something I expected to find on a Caribbean island (St Thomas).

And for content, this was taken 1/4 mile down the road from the cow.

Love the 2-stroke inspired heat shield.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

clutchpuck posted:

It doesn't look like an awful lot of work went into that to me.

It's tig welded stainless/titanium. And what looks like an increasing diameter. If you can bust out stuff like that no problem I have a few pieces I'd like you to make me.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

spandexcajun posted:

I think now they would all be pretty long in the tooth.

Nah, just getting broke in. I've got a 82 v45 magna with 60k+mi that I'm going to take cross country this spring. I think the only major maintenance it's ever had to have done was the rear drive unit at 25k and the clutch at 40k.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Snowdens Secret posted:

What is up with that rear brake

The second caliper likely goes to a handlebar mounted lever (for stuntin, yo!).

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Safety Dance posted:

My god, if I had way more money than class and owned a 'busa (see: way more money than class)...

I'm not even a sports person at all but A loving BEAR IN A HEADLOCK! I'd rock that in a heartbeat.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

High Protein posted:

I can't stand this style of seat but other than that it's a cool hybrid of the XB and tuber/XR look.

Is that.. an oil cooler up next to the headlight? I see what look like lines running up there. Interesting spot to put it.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Snowdens Secret posted:

This may be a silly question considering it's an artbike but why would you want/need that much chain slack on a hardtail?

If you move that rear wheel back anymore it's going to hit that pointy rear fender. Looks like someone got lazy there.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Open face helmet and no front brake. Nature will eventually take its course.

Why spend the money on something like that and not put on a brake? Purely form over function? But it has a steering stabilizer! Which looks completely out of place.

obso fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 20, 2012

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
I know nothing about sidecar racing but wouldn't you want the angle between the sidecar and bike to be adjustable for different setups/tracks? Or does it not work like that?

I do dig the home-brew leading link front suspension tho.

edit: is the motor removable without some frame cutting?

obso fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 24, 2012

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

ReelBigLizard posted:

I remember hearing about this ages ago, and then I forgot all about it until it came up in my RSS feeds today.

The Musket 998 v-twin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Y2BuZ9TBc
A new v-twin crank case designed for Royal Enfield 500cc heads with the greatest Enfield parts compatibility possible. Yes he's going to be selling them...

More at the kneeslider...
Official Blog

I like how the front cylinder has an oil pre-warmer.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

ThatCguy posted:

A 9 hp 125cc single? Maybe if you're going minimoto racing, but otherwise, it would get smoked by most 1300 dollar Chinese scooters.

Ride around your $1300 chinese scooter all you want, that little honda looks like a blast.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Wouldn't that act like a big gyro? It may have less moving parts than a conventional engine but much greater rotational mass since you are spinning the pistons, cylinders, and crank around it's axis. The only part that is stationary is the "head" and outer case.

Sagebrush posted:

Hm, kind of boring. Every time I see a new engine design I expect it to at least sound awesome and science fictiony, like this maybe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAafPSWzpOw&t=60s
So you want it to sound like a spun up 2-stroke diesel?

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Those people all sound American, so what's an M1 license? Everywhere I've seen in the free world calls it an endorsement. Or just a motorcycle license.

California gotta be different of course.

CA DMV posted:

There are two classes of motorcycle licenses, Class M1 and Class M2.

With a Class M1, you can operate any 2–wheel motorcycle and any motorized bicycle in Class M2.
With a Class M2, you can only operate any motorized bicycle or moped or any bicycle with an attached motor.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
The Magnas & Sabres love to break the fork brace which makes for interesting handling if you upset the suspension at all. Should have picked it up if it was cheap, they are fun bikes.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Deeters posted:

I was going to argue with this, but

I saw a ton of pictures of him wearing proper gear too

Like a back protector?

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Ziploc posted:

Am I crazy? Or do I see him get air by swinging the bike left to right before the jump?

He just catches air while transitioning between corners. That takes a special kind of disregard for life.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Collateral Damage posted:

Another really nice Harley scrambler build.

A hardtail scrambler doesn't seem like a very pleasant riding experience.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Dellikose posted:

I can modulate my dry clutch, but it's pretty sensitive. The pull on the clutch lever is pretty hard too, even with an aftermarket slave.

So what's the up-side to them?

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
SR400 for the curious. (Clip-ons AND clubmans)

obso fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 12, 2013

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah that's the ones I mean. Honda pretty much had a corporate nervous breakdown over that (hence the gear-driven cams on the VFR/RVF), hence the cancellation of the NR (well that and the fact it just didn't work as well as they thought it would) and a few other, even weirder projects.

I thought the cam problems in the early v-4's was from sticking them in cruisers and then people trying to lug around a high rpm engine like it was a v-twin (oiling system was not designed for that). The gear driven cams in the vfr were because they couldn't get cam chain tensioners figured out. I have some replacement early v4 tensioner springs that are apparently worth their weight in gold now that honda stopped selling them years ago.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
At some point on the extreme raked out choppers does the forks bending upwards start to function as the suspension?

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Let that soak in for a minute.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Also posting this in the stupid poo poo thread.

That's a common scammer listing (if that isn't overly apparent).

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
edit: I'm blind.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That was awesome.

Also reminds me why I don't read ADV regularly, so much loving content-less posts making GBS threads up otherwise interesting threads.

If you're using google chrome get ADVrider Tools from the chrome store. Pretty sure there's an equivalent firefox extension. Best thing that's happened to ADV (you can cut out all posts but the OPs or select others).

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Sock Weasel posted:

I was greeted with this when I finished work today.

:what:

I hope you were careful and didn't accidentally scratch it with a boot/footpeg/handlebar trying to back it out.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've never heard of anyone's bike getting messed up because of that

It will blow apart rusty mufflers with the quickness. And newer bikes that have catalytic converters in the cans REALLY don't like it.. I'm looking at you, 02 R6's! (it breaks apart and plugs the exhaust).

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
KZ400/440?

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Pope Mobile posted:

My Can-Am is safe!

Unlike you if you need a quick getaway. "Comeon.. comeon.. let me press the goddamn mode button so I can start this POS!"

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Sorry for the extremely lovely picture but a PSA to check your poo poo out before rides. Customer (hours away from home) brought this in after feeling a wobble that he thought felt like a crack in the highway at 80mph. In case it isn't obvious, it's missing ALL 4 pinch bolts and the axle is backed out 2". I don't think he realized how close he came to meeting his maker today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
This was more the fault of an incompetent dealership/service department. Kid just bought it 2 days ago and nothing was tight. Rear axle nut loose and missing a cotter pin, he also apparently lost the slip-on during the same trip.