Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsa
Feb 3, 2014

im gay posted:

Wait so was she a supporter of Wilson?

Everblight posted:

Maybe if you didn't call it "battle readiness" you wouldn't be such loving monstrosities in the first place.
She was just a racist-rear end white woman who couldn't even wait to get home from the gun store to show off her new toy.

Not the impression I get from the tweet in this article, if accurate: http://jezebel.com/woman-ready-for-ferguson-accidentally-kills-self-with-o-1662610675

Seems she was a protester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

ReidRansom posted:

But it does sound like she was a scared white person no matter what side she was on.

Is there really a need for this? It's funny how many racists here assumed she had to be bad because she was white though.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/25/politics/king-to-obama-invite-wilson-to-white-house/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

quote:

Rep. Peter King, R-New York, said Tuesday that President Barack Obama should invite Ferguson police Officer Darren Wilson to meet with him at the White House.
"I think it would be very helpful if President Obama went and met with the police officer, or at least invited him to the White House," King said on Fox Business Network.
Will Obama go to Ferguson? Obama speaks as smoke fills the streets
"And say, 'you've gone through four months of smear and slander and the least we can do is tell you that it is unfortunate that it happened and thank you for doing your job.'"

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

RavenKrows posted:

Have you considered yet that he may just be an ineffective president that most people no longer wish to rally around and it's not actually everyone else's fault he sucks at his job?

You have to remember that the vast majority of posters here are pretty young and were not politically aware for Clinton, which explains why they are so convinced it's all because of racism and not what happens to every democrat in office.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
poo poo the whole kenya muslim thing is actually pretty drat tame compared to the conspiracies thrown at bill and hillary.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

SedanChair posted:

Us: people who don't think there should be different interpretations of the law for white people and black people
Them: people who disagree

Guess you thought I meant black and white, gotcha bitch. Gotcha bitch, go iron your hood and flowing robes.

SedanChair posted:

Iron your poo poo!

SedanChair posted:

*saddest white face in history* "How can you still believe in divisions?"

Seriously what the gently caress is wrong with some of you. This is all in response to someone saying let's work together.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised given this is the thread that cheered a white woman getting shot in the head, just because she was white. Of course it later turned out she was a pro-Brown protester, but who cares, white people deserve death because reasons. Most the people here seem just as racist as the people they decry.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Sam Hall posted:

The entire reason white people keep insisting that the undercastes "work within the system" is because they know perfectly God drat well it will absolutely never loving work.

http://www.pewresearch.org/daily-number/asian-americans-lead-all-others-in-household-income/

quote:

A century ago, most Asian Americans were low-skilled, low-wage laborers crowded into ethnic enclaves and targets of official discrimination. Today, they are the highest-income, best-educated and fastest-growing racial group in the United States. And they are the most likely of any major racial or ethnic group in America to live in mixed neighborhoods and to marry across racial lines.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

White people actually do deserve death tho. It's true.

:lol: i guess LF is back

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
What's racist about calling for the death of people based on skin color, d and d sincerely ponders.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

SedanChair posted:

No those were in response to people acting like they were going to work together just as soon as you stop talking about it :qq:

Reminder to everyone this poster called someone a KKK member because they posted this:

Foma posted:

That you see it as an us vs them issue is part of the problem

Sharkie posted:

I'd love to hear you account for this disparity :allears:.

I don't know, but it disproves the thing the poster I was responding to said.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I'd be curious as to the results of that if you ignored recent immigrants or looked at specifics Asian groups (say, Vietnamese vs. Chinese or Korean; I'm pretty sure there's a huge disparity there). A very large number of Asian-Americans immigrated in the past couple generations and represent the upper or upper-middle class from their home countries (otherwise they wouldn't have been able to afford coming here in the first place).

Well Asian is a pretty ill-defined category. Do we include Indians, etc. You are right that there is a huge disparity though, while Asians as a category have higher income there's a much larger standard deviation than for white people. It's an interesting topic though, considering ww2 and earlier anti-Asian racism.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Ernie Muppari posted:

but does that account for skull shape?

Yes, it's pretty standard to statistically control for that.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Like honestly :lol: if you think anyone should care about getting called a racist in this thread.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Ernie Muppari posted:

wow it's just like puppet master 2 his unholy creations

Is this english?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

SedanChair posted:

But I only told him he should iron his hood, and robes? Maybe he has some other kind of ceremony to attend? A graduation ceremony.

Don't worry we're all buds here.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

bassguitarhero posted:

I get that it's Christmas and all but did the artist take a moment to think about whether or not it's smart to say black people in Ferguson need a white person to save them?

The Netherlands has you covered here.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Voted Worst Mom posted:

It forces them to take time out of their busy day and wonder, have these people lost their minds or have I missed something very important about why these people are acting this way? If they aren't outraged that others would interrupt their activities, they might consider even talking to these people they don't understand and trying to become privy to their perspective. They might even come to find that they share some common opinions with the people who are doing this, even if they do not approve of their methods.

In parallel universe america, sure this might be something that happens.

icantfindaname posted:

Black Pete is only Santa's assistant

poo poo.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

I Dont Like You posted:

I'm trying to imagine how a number of posters in here would be reacting during the Civil Rights era. Mostly the same I suppose but with slurs being thrown around.

Well the civil rights movement took place during a time when the average middle class family was still sharing telephone lines.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Kit Walker posted:

Quite to the contrary. Every peaceful civil disobedience movement had a violent counterpart. You have one side that goes "we just want rights, we're not hurting anybody" and another side that goes "we want rights and we'll loving kill you all if we don't get it." The carrot and the stick. People are more likely to negotiate with the former when the alternative is the latter.

Having it happen at the same time just makes it look chaotic and schizophrenic. There's no real comparisons to smashing random businesses and Malcolm X, at any rate.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Periodiko posted:

The problem is that needs to be distinguishable, and organized. Whats happening in Ferguson is not Malcolm X, or the Black Panthers at their height, it's just disorganized chaos.

Comparing the looting and arson of local businesses to black militancy at the height of the civil rights movement is deeply insulting to black militants. It's just stupid to say "oh these burning cars represent the proverbial stick to the protestor's carrot", because there's no direction or leadership. It's not just violence, it's stupid, directionless violence that actively undermines the activist cause.

This exactly, you can argue that the reactions are justified but to argue that this is an effective strategy that is winning people over is laughably wrong.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

bassguitarhero posted:

It's stupid directionless violence because the people of Ferguson have lost and they know it. It's defeated violence. Everybody has been talking about "White people didn't riot after OJ," and all I can say is this: People didn't riot after OJ Simpson because they were surprised. People rioted after Darren Wilson because they weren't surprised. It's just rage because you have a black President who's powerless to do anything about state violence against your people, and you feel nothing is going to change and that Mike Brown died in vain. People aren't rioting for change, they're rioting because they don't expect change.

I agree with this completely, and it's really understandable why it is happening. It's just that blocking traffic and burning buildings isn't going to make people stop and think, "hey maybe there is a reason for this" like some have been arguing the past couple pages.

Violet_Sky posted:

Wilson should have gone to trial. We would still be able to hear both sides of the story.

Also, can someone Explain Like I'm Five on why did Zimmerman get acquitted, but Dunn did not? They both committed similar crimes. Why didn't the Grand Jury remember those two cases?

"Beyond a reasonable doubt"

It's monumentally easier to instill reasonable doubt when there are no witnesses.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Foma posted:

We do still have the Voting Rights Act, the Supreme Court only ruled against a section of it, but continue to be wrong, it is entertaining.

Also voter suppression had basically no effect on races in 2008, 2010,2012, 2014.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

Hey guys, don't get me wrong, I love civil disobedience as much as the next guy, but could you maybe get rid of the "disobedience" part? Nobody likes disobedient citizens.

You do realize civil disobedience does not include torching random businesses?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

The Ender posted:

I'd love to see your reaction to watching a corrupt & racist system let the killer of your child off of the hook.

"Aw shucks! That's too bad. Everyone get together and clasp hands so we can change the system with our positive energy! :) "

"Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals."

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Pomp posted:

It's probably gonna loving include inconveniencing some people, though.

There's no problem with inconveniencing people if it wins more over to your cause.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

nutranurse posted:

-MLK, guy who got shot in his loving head and had much of his work undone over the past few years

Malcolm X was murdered as well, so I guess that disproves what he said about violent protest.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Proponent of non-violent protest is a victim of violence? Heh, loving owned. Shows how much non-violent protest works, what a tard.

It is really bizarre the way people here keep using his murder as a way to disprove his words.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

nutranurse posted:

Malcolm X was murdered by fellow black nationalists due to some really hosed up inter-party politics.

makes u think

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

England Sucks posted:

I don't think anything positive is going to occur until the African American community wakes up and realizes they are living in a defacto apartheid state and that for all they want to protest and set things on fire and wreck things, or stand around and block roads or hold up their hands, nothing will ever be achieved.

What do we know from South Africa? Apartheid was stopped not by massive peaceful protests but the piercing intelligence of a few individuals. Terrorism was the greatest tool of the anti-apartheid forces at work in South Africa and continues to be the greatest tool anyone in America can use to make their point and voices heard.

You can create a bunch of protests across each city but those can be targeted. Ignored. Their messages changes and switched. Your mindset must be bigger. The way you function must make it impossible for your message to be misinterpreted. You must strike fear into the hearts of anyone who would even think of misinterpreting it or twisting it. This is why serial murderers are so effective in getting their messages out their. The simple power of fear. Something the white majority is quite capable of.

When you destroy a bunch of poo poo in a black neighborhood you're really not creating fear. Many of the individuals who are being persecuted in these black communities are extremely poor, and overall the are impoverished. But they are not completely without resources. You have large drug trade organizations working throughout these communities. Structures and networks that can be exploited to fund anything you desire.

Take the model of the FARC in Colombia. A communist terrorist organization running amuck in the steep hills of Colombia. Completely untraceable. Guerilla warfare and terrorism is their main method of action. And due to the threat they place on the life of many individuals their message is certainly not misinterpreted, as unpopular as it may be.

Any solution to the current apartheid states that feature as the center of our african-american communities in America should involve something theoretically similar. A army funded by the control of the drug trade within these communities, who use these funds to wage terror on those who have failed to protect them and give them the simple rights they deserve. The Media and the government. Hidden amongst the ruins of our rotting american cities and ghettos.

And while the FBI or CIA may be able to take down a group of ten, or twenty, or thirty well armed terrorists who have been forced to come from overseas and acclimate to our culture to be able to hide and carry out their work. Here you could easily have hundreds of them locally grown and trained and there'd be no hope for the government but to give in to their demands.

:lol:

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

The Ender posted:

Which was my point.

The person probably thought you were trying to say something intelligent.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

jb7 posted:

A plain-clothes police officer would just steal it again.

It's pretty funny this was actually believed to be true.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

420DD Butts posted:

If the KKK were so racist, why wouldn't they just kill black people indiscriminately? It just doesn't add up - a moron.

It was argued in this thread that the kkk drive around to offer African American kids a ride to kill them or something and this is a common thing in some parts of the country.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Really sounds like the prosecutor knew there was basically no chance of a guilty verdict from a trial and had no interest in going through a lengthy trial that would be put under a nation-wide microscope just to end up losing.

WHat is the overall consensus of why he threw it, anyway?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Ernie Muppari posted:

Welcome to internet.

Actually there was a time when there was at least an effort put forth to honest debating in this forum. It's gotten incredibly bad lately. Like holy poo poo you have to be willfully ignorant to suggest a robbery didn't happen, poo poo people even blamed the victim store owner for getting robbed.

tsa fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 28, 2014

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

albany academy posted:

I have a question for all you USA folks:

Why is there the prevailing belief that violent unrest, protest etc. will never accomplish anything (re:the property damage etc. in ferguson), considering the country was founded (as far as I know) as a result of protest & unrest that lead to a violent, organized, militaristic revolt?

Is it just unsettling that many find themselves in the position of the hated British, if they find that parallel? Or is there some more subtle nuance to this that I'm missing? It keeps coming up in discussion about this with american friends, and frankly the logic is baffling to me.

This is a really stupid comparison. You can find a historical example for literally any point you want to make. The power of historical analysis is for explanatory purposes, not predictive. Too many hidden variables unaccounted for. As an example, protest in the colonies leading to revolution is a massive oversimplification.

Basically you might want to find something a little more recent than loving 1700 if you want to make an intelligent point. It's not a subtle thing you are missing, the whole argument of comparing a country's founding revolution to property damage is really misguided.

spacetoaster posted:

That's a really good point and I like it.

It's really not, why in the gently caress would you babble about the revolutionary war if you are trying to convince people protests can be effective.there's like a billion better examples.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
You meet a conservative, do you

A: Try to draw comparisons between the Ferguson and events they would be sympathetic to (perhaps tea party protests)

OR

B: Try to shoehorn in a 300 year old event.

If you chose B you just might be a DD poster! Right wingers build narratives, most lefties scream about 'tone arguments' and make John Kerry look like a rhetorical genius.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

nopantsjack posted:

Ah whatever, googling police shootings is only getting me US articles anyway and yeah those do seem to coincidentally be concerned with justifying spraying bullets into people's centre mass instead.

Maybe if you're a terrible shot and a hot head don't be given a gun?

e: To be fair police here in the UK shoot to kill generally when given a gun and shown a black man but we're cunts. Firing into the centre mass on principle strikes me as an odd thing for a public servant to do though, rather than a soldier or assassin.

Nobody is a "good shot" shooting at moving extremities outside of hollywood movies, hope this helps. Center mass shots are far more accurate, likely to stop w/o hitting bystanders, and to actually incapacitate the person, rather than a leg shot where the person can still be a harm to others.

Why on earth would you want police using guns to take out people's legs? That's dumb as gently caress, we have plenty of less than lethal methods that are far better than shooting the legs if less-than-lethal is what you are going for. Your logic makes no sense. People shoot to kill because you should absolutely not be pointing a gun at someone you want to live!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Generally, police departments try to shake out the hotheads and others who are psychologically unsuited to the job in the interview and probation process. As for being terrible shots, shooting at something that's alive and moving is pretty goddamn difficult, even at short range. Add to that an extremely heightened psychological state, and any fancy shooting goes out the window.

Yea it's really clear that a lot of people that comment in these sorts of threads have utterly no idea what the psychology of people under extreme stress is like, even if we give the benefit of the doubt and assume they've maybe been to the range a couple times. Like people have watched wayyyy too many movies if they think you can just calmly shoot guns out of people's hands while quipping one-liners.

tsa fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 9, 2015

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Goons love to hold up random studies they just googled 30 seconds ago and briefly skimmed as gospel truth.

bbb...bbbut a professor did this!

Also arguing about speeding tickets in a thread about unarmed black men being gunned down has got to be the whitest thing ever.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Israel/Palestine, where the most conservative opinion in the thread is far to the left of the democrats. That's what's the funniest part of how angry posters here get while screaming at the 'right wingers' who post here, they trip over themselves to vote for far more conservative politicians.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Randbrick posted:

First off, I have to give you kudos for coming right out to say that you see no daylight between "black people" and "criminals." The overwhelming majority of criminal defendants are not black. That would not surprise anyone with half a mind given to the occasional thought, as black people make up about 13% of the population. They do tend to realize much harsher sentencing than white people, due to...reasons(???)

That's why there's things like odds ratios, which would show that minorities are dependents at significantly higher rates than non-hispanic whites (who are actually a minority w.r.t being a dependent). Of course there's many different explanations for why this could be, for example poverty could explain much of the disparity. But even that would probably be insufficient as the types of poverty experienced by whites vs. non-whites. It could be possible that the discrepancies in how poverty is experienced between groups leads to different types of crimes, different severity in crimes and so on. (in other words there is a race-poverty interaction effect) This thread tries to simplistically shout RACISM at every instance because actual analysis is hard and calling other people names is easy and fun I guess.

Randbrick posted:

There is no social program in existence that costs more relative to its benefits and positive outcomes than incarceration. Incarceration is a money pit. Literally leaving drug addicts on the streets shooting up at bus stops with absolutely no response of any kind beyond cleaning out the corpses after every cold night is cheaper and more cost-effective than the county jail. Similarly, emptying the jails of habitual shoplifters would free up more than enough money for the state to provision every single retail business with a free commercial insurance policy to cover inventory loss. There is nothing less effective at preventing crime and rehabilitating people than the American model of criminal justice and incarceration, and there is nothing more expensive, either.

There is a lot of work to be done but the absence of enforcement will lead to more crime- according to every study on the subject. Criminals aren't idiots, if they think there is basically a 100% chance of getting caught they aren't going to do that thing. While length of incarceration tends to be a non-significant affect for most crimes, the probability of arrest/incarceration is a factor taken into account in nearly every crime outside of crimes in the heat of passion. Interesting note: white collar criminals tend to form a Bayesian model, which takes into account estimates of the probability of arrest along with the estimated length of incarceration Given successful prosecution (basically looking at the expected values / variances in outcomes).

I agree completely for looking and correcting root causes, but if a law exists it should be enforced equally, consistently, and fairly. With your drug addict example, the problem is trying to deal with medical issues through the law in the first place. With shoplifting we should be looking at why it is occurring. How we should deal with someone stealing bread is much different than how we should deal with a teenager stealing a stereo or a Hollywood actor stealing a dress for the thrill of it. But you don't throw out the law with the bathwater, prevention of shoplifting is obviously in the public interest and having formal rules or "laws" against that sort of thing seems to be a rather sensible thing to do.

FAUXTON posted:

But then people wouldn't endure pain for their sins and the world will descend into chaos.

I know this might be a shock to some here but having a lawful society is actually a good thing. See: recorded history.

tsa fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Zeitgueist posted:

If you literally moved to a black neighborhood explicitly for the reason that you want to live near black folks because you think it will make you less awful as a person, you are unironically better than many, probably most white people.

At least you're trying. It's better than living in a white neighborhood and saying you're colorblind.

Actually it means you care more about the color of people's skin than the content of their character.

• Locked thread