Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

pinegala posted:

the "translator" notes are the worst cherrypicked examples

I liked the part where they talk about how sometimes they just change things for no reason. Also I really, really wish they'd stop with the fan art before every chapter, and that goes for any other scan group that does it. It's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

We are 30 issues in and people are already worried that a character in the antagonist-ally role is going to turn into Sasuke despite already having a drastically different personality and relationship with the cast. What?

Sasuke was annoying because he was a sullen dick without a personality who everyone fawned over, and this never really changed over the course of the manga. Even when he would get shown up by Naruto he would just asspull some special ability 4 issues later and be back to being too cool for school. Bakugou is already more interesting than Sasuke was at any given point in Naruto.

This post brings up something I really like about Bakugou's characterization and the writing of the series as a whole. At least the way I seem to be reading it, most people aside from Deku don't even like him much because he's a huge angry dick all the time. He's strong, of course, and people would line up to team with him because of that. But it doesn't seem like too many other characters really like him. Unlike the aforementioned example of Sasuke where everyone seemed to constantly fawn over him and bend backwards to make sure he was the most important person in the plot.

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't care if Bakugou becomes a sweet boy who's kind to old ladies or not, but I'd at least like him to smarten up. As it stands he's never going to amount to anything as a hero and everybody but him knows it. It would be nice if he'd figure out that he needs to either (a) become a nice guy; (b) pretend to be a nice guy; or (c) turn heel officially.
I'm going to have to echo sentiments that he should stay the excitable, angry jerk he is but he does need to smarten up a bit and something like placing dead last in this event thanks to copy-kid might be a shock enough to kick that off.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

All Might wasn't the first person to have One for All was he? I mean, I'm assuming that, given how the Quirk works, it isn't his quirk, and that All Might got it from someone else. It'd probably take a generation or two to accumulate All Might's insane godlike power and Quirks seem to have been around for a couple of generations, assuming it's from the dawn of quriks existing, All Might's gotta be at least second or third generation. And the way he talks about it before telling Deku about it at the least heavily implies he wasn't the first.

I wonder if another of One for All's past hosts will show up, is what I'm getting at.

Can they get it back, too?

Like, assuming the previous host doesn't have to die to pass on the power. I imagine someone old, weak and now living a rather unimpressive life of obscurity might want that back if they weren't as good and heroic as All Might is.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Bets on Endeavour being responsible for Stain being... what he is? I mean, he's the embodiment of what the Hero Killer hates, and that hosed-up face of his sure looks like someone burned the hell out of it (and not Todoroki junior, either - it was like that from his introduction).

poo poo, maybe he's even another failed son.

I'd put my bets on that. dude looks a bit like a burn victim years down the line who never got reconstructive surgery.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So my theory is that if One for All is about sacrificing yourself to empower the future generation then All for One is about sacrificing the future for yourself. So Scarface dude is going to use some quirk to take over handguy's body to use him as a new host or something. And while he probably does actually have an immortality quirk somewhere, he's probably been raising progressively stronger host bodies to steal.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Turns out her body is naturally invisible and her power is to become opaque. :v:

Her power is actually natural camouflage, but she's already invisible!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

JD posted:

I don't know if anyone mentioned it here, but elsewhere online some people seem to convinced that Tsukauchi is secretly evil. The only thing it seems based on is his vacant look..

My friend thinks this is true because he and black mist have vaguely similar builds and his tie and coat looks kind of like black mist's outfit. His quirk is also an easy one to fake.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

You know, that kid Midoriya saved must have some conflicting feelings about the dude who murdered both his parents being defeated by a high school student hero-in-training. He doesn't know the true nature of Deku's quirk, so to him it must seem like both his parents combined were just weaker than a high school student.

Then again he also just saw Deku's arms turn to pulp from the force of hitting that dude. He might understand.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So here's a question. Has the series ever shown us Bakugou's family at any point?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CaptianKatsura posted:

There was a panel of Bakugou talking to his mother, but neither of his parents have made a physical appearance (at least not that I remember).

Thought so. I wonder if they'll ever be relevant. :shrug:

Mordaedil posted:

Cutely enough he started out being able to only produce fireworks, his powers are a lot less cute now.
Definitely. I really like how the anime did the scene where he used the flamethrower or whatever his suit has on Deku during the training. I wasn't sold on his voice at first but every actor seems to be nailing it so far.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

HenryEx posted:

There's gonna be a reason that AfO raises a successor (other than "but OfA is doing it too!" of course), and the reason will remove him from the playing field in the near future

problem solved

Well All for One has no face and needs life support to live. He's pretty hosed up. I think by the end of this arc, even if neither AfO and OfA are dead they won't be fighting any time soon, leaving Deku and Shigaraki to take the center stage.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

This does not look like a scrawny dude.

He was pretty clearly buff, but getting his chest carved out has hosed him up pretty big. I thought that was kind of obvious?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I think Allmight is going to live. Solely because it's way too predictable for him to die here, no doubt he won't be able to keep on fighting but I think he's going to at least survive this fight. I think All for One is going to live too, possibly die giving his powers up to his successor because at this point there doesn't seem to be much keeping ol' faceless alive.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Honestly if we're going "there can be no coincidences" with Deku's parentage then with his dad having a fire breath power then it's more likely he's a reject from Endevor's family line somewhere along the lines since obviously only one person and their family can have fire powers at all.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

http://www.yuncomics.com/archives/1694805

Korean raws.

Seems like they debunk the spoiler block going around.

Good poo poo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gyges posted:

It looked to me like it's just Deku'd, and he used All For One's power redirect that sent the power of his punch back at him to move the power from his right to his left arm.

It looks like he just tried to block with the initial punch and his arm was basically obliterated by AfO's mega punch so he could smash him with his other arm. Seems like he's going to survive but definitely be out of the hero game after this and since this has all been caught on live TV I'm guessing everyone's going to know Deku's secret now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Adelheid posted:

This all could've been avoided if All Might gave One for All to Helck instead of Deku.

Helck for All is a crossover too good for this world.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

Going into this series, I thought All Might was going to be a mean-spirited parody of Superman and was pleasantly surprised he wasn't.

Not so much a parody but there is a series sort of like that called Irredeemable that I thought was pretty neat. It's about a superman type super hero, invulnerable and super strong with other assorted powers who just sort of snaps one day and blows some people up.

Grouchio posted:

*Reads MHA Volume 9 Extras*

Wait - TORA'S TRANSGENDER!?

Makes sense.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Akett posted:

Deku's biggest problem is that he's a weak vessel for OFA and he needs to strengthen it. His best option for gains on using OFA is actual gains.

Weighted training clothes then? Then when the fighting gets serious he can throw his purple turban to the ground and amaze everyone at how high his power level gets.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

The Justice League cartoon was pretty anime.

You have no idea. Also the DCAU was great and infinitely better than the actual comic storylines.

Slime posted:

bakugou gets 100% psycho face all the time and he's not evil, 50% psycho face means nothing

Like you said, Bakugou is crazy all the time. We've had that established as his character, a drawing of him looking nuts isn't out of the ordinary. But the image there shows him smiling on one side, sinister looking on the other. We don't see the character with an expression like that, it's not normal. Alone it would be weird, but nothing. But there are other inconsistencies like his frequent disappearances during fights due to being an idiot, his lack of a background and you can call it a stretch but details like him wearing a black shirt when everyone else in the group wears a white one, and his bizarrely generic room among the group of really personalized ones tend to stand out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cryophage posted:

Can the traitor be a teacher though? They all knew about the Rescue Op/Nomu factory attack, which took the VA completely by surprise.

Huh, recently watched Stardust Crusaders and my takeaway was that ZA WARLDO's deal was copying the stands of the Joestar family.

It seems like that might have been the intention at one point since The World and Star Platinum are so similar, but when he uses the Hermit Purple-like stand early on he doesn't actually have The World yet.

Captain Invictus posted:

Nah, attack on titan did it really well and that had tons of hints, busting out surprises with no hints sucks

Like even then someone called the reveal in aot two years before it happened and connected all the dots and it was still a good reveal, so 4chans hivemind having a theory like this and it coming true wouldn't be terrible

The attack on titan one is really well done, re-reading it afterward you can see it all tie together.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

HenryEx posted:

Is, not was. That was like 10 years ago, and even if he was already working with AFO... so what? It's a benign diagnosis for a completely random run-of-the-mill kid?? If he'd use his doctor's degree to routinely bullshit to spite little kids for no reason at all, he'd probably struggle to keep a sustainable income / any patients.

Well for one thing if Allmight would only pass his quirk on to someone else without a quirk, they'd probably want to keep an eye out for kids without quirks. He was also probably looking for kids with interesting powers for AFO and nomu potential. What with the nomus that attacked, I think it was when Stain was attacking?, being similar to the kids Bakugou used to hang around with. It seems like it'd be a good way to get fodder without being suspicious.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kild posted:

He's probably not run of the mill. His dad is likely someone important to the story.

He's the most famous, important super hero of them all. SalaryMan. Defending the night from unfinished work, every day of the week!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Piriwi posted:

Could have used a fake x-ray. Maybe the doctor has a quirk-identifying quirk.

Personally I get the impression the mangaka is just setting up subtle story hooks that may or may not become relevant at some point in the future.

Honestly there's no reason he can't just be a good old fashioned doctor and also a villain. Maybe the entire reason he helps All for One is because he's a doctor and if he didn't keep him alive, no one else would and it's kind of lovely to just let a dude die without a trial or something. Probably not, but whatever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

C'mon, now, Steel Ball Run was great.

I think Jojolion won't be bad when it's done and you can read it in one go. But having to read it in slow releases makes it really hard to follow because every time a new chapter comes out, all the interest in what just happened is gone and it's a struggle to remember what went on. The core mystery of it is pretty cool I think.

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel that Bakugou's headed for a big turning point, though, where he's forced to confront the mismatch between who he is and who he wants to be. Flunking his provisional hero license due to causing massive collateral damage seems like a pretty good place to put that step in his arc.

He's Deku's rival, but rivals can fail, so long as they get a kick in the pants from it and come back even stronger and more determined. Losing out on his license seems ideal for that - it's embarrassing, and maybe knocks him out of the picture for an arc, but it's not a particularly big deal in the long term.

My dumb thought is that he might actually go to far in what is supposed to be a training thing like the entrance exam and unintentionally hurt someone or pose a threat to civilians. Dude gets fired up enough over his own classmates being equal to him, he might lose his poo poo a bit if it's some strangers from another school.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Being a single mom is hard, Dekumom prioritized her son over her figure.

Thoughh now that Deku is on his own All Might will use the American Dream Plan to get her back into shape.

Or the Americone Dream Plan and they can just sit on the couch watching Deku on the news while eating icecream every night. :colbert:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Hate-Senpai posted:

Not only Uraraka.

Shigaraki, too. Even when he's agitated and choking Midoriya, he makes sure to keep one finger off.

You know, I never noticed until now but it kind of looks like his mouth had been sewn shut at one point :shrug: or maybe I''m looking too much into his hosed up lips, who knows.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

I think when you shatter your legs and arm using your strength, you've effectively gone beyond 100%.

Beyond human limits. Which is why Deku's body keeps breaking. I imagine if as people predict he does finish with some kind of crazy 110% punch or something, his arm would just explode. So would whatever he punched.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Actually, for balance reasons the follow-up attack only brings it to 150% power

300% power, actually, but he can only do it once per fight and it takes a lot of his MP.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

... licenseless rider?

I would be okay with one singular crossover.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

I liked Dressrosa, it was just poorly paced.
I thought was kind of a lovely retread of the earlier arc with Crocodile. Don Flamingo wasn't as cool as Crocodile though, and the king and princess characters weren't as memorable nor were their arcs as engaging.

Anyway, I'm really digging Vigilantes and can't wait for more updates to that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It's interesting to see a guy go "I'm just going to attack immediately with my wierd power before you figure out what it is" in a shonen series. Maybe his real power is to attack without exposition.

So he's King Crimson? Will we be getting an opening page with his stats that's just 90% text explaining how his power works?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

The common cop-out in this sort of situation is for him to realize the error of his ways and sacrifice himself for the greater good in some situation. This allows the character to be "redeemed" without needing to tackle the hairy questions of "but he's committed a bunch of terrible crimes and still needs to be punished."

That seems too generic. I think it's more likely he's going to get swallowed up by something bigger than he is. As the plague doctor guy, and people in this topic, pointed out. His society isn't poo poo, they've gotten their reputation because of stain and all for one and it's calling down not just the big heroes but other villains now. It's going to bite him in the rear end.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RatHat posted:

Still can't believe this actually happened.

Really? The entire series was basically him going "I hate you and will literally kill you the second I get the chance" and Naruto going "But we're bffs and barely surviving the latest murder attempt"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gyges posted:

Disagree.

A giant meteor will be heading towards UA. Can't Stop Twinkling will shoot his naval laser at it, but it will fail to do anything. Then Snipe will try and shoot it with a gun put together by Mei, but that will also fail. Then, when all seems hopeless, Deku will show up and punch Shigaraki into the meteor, causing it to disintegrate.

Deku would never kill someone.

Does Shigaraki's hands need to be attached to his body for the power to still work?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gyges posted:

So Dekudad is still in the picture, he's just living overseas like an rear end in a top hat with little to no contact.

It's okay because now Dekumom can marry Deku's new dad.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

how do you beat nighteye's quirk?

you don't

I don't think he sees everything. Just literally what the person will be doing. He saw Deku on the ground "cowering" but didn't have any context for it. When the time came, he laughed because he had no idea that he would be faced with the situation he had been placed in. So someone who effects the environment would probably have an easier time dealing with him than someone like Deku.

Also I think that's why he cares so much about humor. He likes the unpredictable nature of it, when you can see all the punchlines coming the ones that catch you off guard are great.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

yeah the trailers have likely been festival focused because that's the only poo poo they have animated

The MHA S1 trailers were all like the first three episodes, if you'll recall

Also maybe they just don't want to reveal all the coolest stuff in the trailers so fans who don't read the manga will be in for a huge surprise.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Japanese work ethic stuff. Oda is royalty and he only started taking regularly scheduled breaks in the last 3-5 years I think.

Die for your manga, artists! :black101:

Also god I hope that 2-cour thing is really true.

As for Black Clover it's earnest as hell if not insanely generic and paint by numbers. The protagonist is less interesting than the rest of the cast but irrepressible in an endearing way somehow.

Encourage them to work hard and murder themselves when they're young, so when they're old they have to take mandatory hiatuses every few chapters because they're literally falling apart and their life's work will never finish!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

yeah i dont think it needed more than that anyway

like the stuff it's setting up seems interesting but the election was a good capstone to the chimera ant arc and the chimera ant arc is probably the best shonen manga arc there'll ever be so im good with hxh ending with the coda of the election

The chimera ant arc is great and the whole "BTW we're actually just a tiny continent in a huge world" reveal is neat until the whole exploration thing starts up and the series becomes 90% words. It really should have ended with the chat on the tree. The like one fight since then wasn't very fun to read through because it was between one of the cooler characters and a guy who just has infinite super powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

but then you miss the best fight in the series

But it's terrible. Fights in HxH are great because there's a sort of mechanical style to how powers work and it doesn't usually do the typical thing of a guy pulling a brand new super power out to win the fight at the last minute.

That fight just has one guy pull out new power after new power and throw an endless number of explosive bodies at his opponent until he wins.