Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

ExecuDork posted:

Every time I deliberately check that there's no car driving up the sidewalk, nothing coming the wrong way up the one-way street, nobody hammering it straight at the red light or crosswalk I'm about to cross, I say to myself "it's not the GOOD drivers you need to watch out for."

I can't say that this has ever really saved me from a serious problem, but it's a habit I've deliberately developed and I'm going to keep doing it.

I can't count the number of times drivers here have turned left into my sidewalk and I've had to quickly run out of the way or get run over. This is in Seattle, too. I just assume anyone I see in a car is drunk, texting, sleep-deprived and an idiot and plan accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

12/10 would hire for tree service. Not sure how he operarates the saw.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

weg posted:

Not as scary when it's oriented correctly lol.

Still looks like a cool place to take a hike though.

If he's doing it in trail runners he could slip or roll an ankle if he's not careful but honestly the railing and steps make it pretty safe.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Memento posted:

Cross post from the Funny Pictures thread, straight out of the "good enough, let's go to the pub" files.

"Huh, I guess I left my tape measure in the truck or something"

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

spog posted:

Yeah, I don't think 'there's an avalanche crushing cars in front of me, better put it in reverse' is a seering indicement of social attitudes and more and acknowledgement that big rocks hurt if they land on you.

Yeah, if you run up and start giving aid and more rocks fall then they might fall on you. Now there are two people needing treatment where before three was just one. The best thing to do is probably call emergency services. You could also try to give aid and have someone spot uphill for you but both you and the spotter are taking a risk.

If a hillside is shedding rocks, the one you just saw probably isn't the last one it's shedding today.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

RandomPauI posted:

I honestly want Seattle to be the worlds number one destination for tiny cannon, tiny cannon balls, and tiny wooden forts or sailing ships.

I would say to check Archie McPhee but I don't think that's kooky enough for them.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

oohhboy posted:

How much do those wheels go for? I thought parking in the wrong place and get your wheels stolen was a joke.

I've had my wheels stolen off my truck sitting in the garage at my apartment before. People definitely do this.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

RandomPauI posted:

There was a collision between a Norwegian frigate Hilge and an oil tanker. The frigate was beached and there were hopes that'd keep it from sinking but...

Phone posting from the app. Those images are cobbled from two seperate posters. I tried image preview but the preview didn't load. I assume they aren't leached and won't break tables.

"Oh man I'm a really sleepy ship guys. Can I just crash here on these rocks for a while?"

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Phanatic posted:

What you are probably thinking of is that the said, aforementioned complete muppet was pulling back so hard the plane was reaching an angle of attack that was beyond the realm of sanity-checking. The software in charge of setting off the stall warning looked at the AoA data and said "Whoa, there's no way that's right, the AoA data must be faulty," and stopped issuing the stall warning. Then, whenever Bonin would ease off on the stick and the nose would drop a bit, the AoA data started looking reasonable (still too high, but reasonable), and the alarm would go off again. So the actual effect of the alarm that was saying "Push the nose down, you loving idiot" was to make Bonin think "poo poo, I better pull back on the stick more!"

It's crazy that the FCC automatically cancels an alarm under those conditions. If the AoA goes bananas like that I would expect the alarm to stay on, because regardless of whether the sensor is functioning there is something wrong and the pilot needs to intervene. If the AoA is okay then the pilot should be required to manually acknowledge the alarm. If the AoA is not okay then the alarm should clear when the AoA is good. But trying to be clever is just asking for trouble.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Scott Forstall posted:

oh god...

oh god oh god

oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh

And the icing on the cake is that he survives buy staying in the cage.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Mr. Apollo posted:

I didn't think shaving cream could be so deadly.

Oh no, this is the kind of bear you meet in the back country.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

"Listen Miguel, before I let you hold the firehouse I need you to understand how powerful they are and how important it is that you keep a hand on them."

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Rebel Blob posted:

ProPublica has a really good read on the USS Fitzgerald crash in 2017: Death and Valor on an American Warship Doomed by its Own Navy. There is quite a litany of bad decisions, both from above and on the ship lead to the crash. Here are a few of the shorter highlights:

There are a ton of systems that were in bad repair too. The article called out radars that were damaged, and at least two communication failures that happened. It's likely that if the officer in the CIC had called up, the officer in the bridge had called the captain, or the radar had been properly maintained the collision wouldn't have happened.

But the real failure is trying to remain on a war footing with no budget for years on end.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Endman posted:

When I used to work in public housing maintenance, we had a specific code for the toilet roll holder because of how often tenants managed to snap them off the wall. God knows why they were exerting so much pressure on them.

Were they a few inches above knee height and just forward of the knee when seated on the toilet? People probably used them as a handle to push themselves up off the toilet.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

shame on an IGA posted:

Parachute didn't open.

Looks like a book fracture.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

mostlygray posted:

I have to do this all the time. It's ridiculous. There are a lot of small companies that email you an un-editable form (like an image of a photocopy of a child's idea of a form impeded in a pdf so that you can't even convert it to word) that must be filled out by hand and then scanned and emailed back. They could set up an online form but they refuse. Print email, fill out by hand, scan, email.

I was excited to learn at my last job where all paperwork was in the form of Adobe PDFs that acrobat reader lets you type anywhere on the page. And it lets you insert images of your signature and initials. Since that day I no longer had to use my printer to fill out forms.

That company still printed everything out and because of document retention policies it will have this exact issue in about 10 years.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

null_pointer posted:

EDIT: Taking a lunch break. I think things have stabilized and they just very well may stare at their folly for a couple hours.

If they're hourly I foresee about a day of hard thinking ahead of each of them.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Nocheez posted:

My automotive electronic days are decades ago, but I would fill a butt connector with a little silicone grease, crimp them properly and heat shrink tube followed by a bunch of electrical tape. Stagger the butts so they don't have a big egg right in the middle of the repair.

But a new cord is like $15 and you won't burn your house down with it. Do what'cha want.

They make butt connectors with hat shrink in either end. And when you shrink the shrink it fills the entire connector with silicone adhesive.

They're for marine use but I'd rather spend the extra 3 cents per connector and get something waterproof.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Humphreys posted:

Look at me wanting to make my cheap soldering iron safer with an in-line switch. Hmm, now I've cut this cable and temp fixed the switch....how am I going to solder the joints? Back to the store I was literally at 5 minutes ago!

GE has UL-listed single-outlet switches that I use for stuff like this rather than cutting an AC line to install an inline switch.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Beef posted:

In the EU you're pretty certain Pyrex is actually borosilicate glass instead of the cheaper tempered soda lime glass.

It's just as good!! (small print: don't put in a microwave)

I guess OSHA doesn't apply to home kitchens?
https://gizmodo.com/the-pyrex-glass-controversy-that-just-wont-die-1833040962

As an aside you can tell the difference by the color of the glass. The soda-lime glass has a slightly blue tint when viewed on-edge. The borosilicate stuff I've used has a yellowish tint from similar angles.

A few months ago the extremely OSHA stack of glass serving bowls and metal mixing bowls with a couple of glass baking dishes on top in my cabinet decided to become a yurt, and in the resultant avalanche of glass shards the metal bowls and the glass bakeware both survived the 5 feet to the floor.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I have a strong stomach, but those photos made me have to take a couple extra breaths. Goddamn, dude.

I lost a toenail once because I'm almost inevitably barefoot, and someone backed into me and lifted the nail clean off my big toe. The real OSHA/Health Care Horror part was when I put dry gauze on the wound...and then tried to peel it off the next day. PROTIP: DON'T DO THAT. Use some antiseptic goop upon application, and/or soak it off in warm water.

I lost a big toe nail last year because I didn't re-lace my boots before descending 4300 feet back to the trailhead. It turned black so I kept it taped on until the blister healed and the new toenail pushed it off.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Also I'm extremely glad me and my gf didn't decide to head into downtown today. The crane might as well be our city bird for how many of them are perched over downtown.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

PurpleXVI posted:

There's probably an unedited version out there, but Jesus Christ.

It's forklifts all the way down.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

ekuNNN posted:

from the everest thread:

It strikes me as a really bad idea to climb down into a crevasse to take a picture of someone drinking coffee.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

That's probably safer than a glissade on the same slope because it's more controllable. I'd still rather find another route.

As an aside backcountry skiing and snowmobiling are the two winter activities that result in the lion's share of avalanche-related deaths. Both activities take place in avalanche terrain and involve rapid changes in applied weight.

I'll see if I can find some of the avalanche videos that were used in the snow travel class I took a couple of years ago. It's impressive how quickly they start and also how little snow is required to pin you or kill you.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Apparently there was a significant accidental release of Cesium 137 at an off-site research lab for Harborview Medical Center in Seattle a month ago.

http://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2019/06/an-extraordinarily-severe-emergency-the-radioactive-leak-at-harborview/

They've got it cleaned up now. I guess that's why there were trucks with the radiation trefoil moving north on I5 last month.

Maybe they needed a better tool than an unsecured angle grinder to cut the pins securing the source. The article characterizes their planning process in a way that it looks inadequate to cope with the hazard.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Blindeye posted:

This wasn't the only oopsie recently. In this case, the ironic part is DOE has been retrieving these Cs-137 sources because they're in a dispersible salt form and so dangerous, with Co-60 in metallic form being the preferred source these days. In fact there's a giant spent fuel pool where most of these recalled sources are stored awaiting a permanent disposal site.

The more nasty incident that got some high-level people fired was this....

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/local/radioactive-material-closes-middle-school-piketon/5fSqP5JFvEalQPhYiiJLsM/

Arguably a much less dangerous release, the fact that it was a school made the local community flip the gently caress out.

Holy poo poo. It sounds like they applied a safe exposure level designed for adults to a school full of children. There's a ton of negligence on the part of the DOE in that article.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

That's the finest title+post combo I've seen in recent years.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Powershift posted:

Stop trying to keep boomers alive, you fucks.

Good old Heights drive claims another overheight truck.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Sagebrush posted:

Not only do they make airplanes with parachutes, but some airplanes are designed so that with the engine shut down they naturally descend no faster than they would in a parachute landing.

The guy in that video may have even made out better than if he'd had an airframe parachute because he was able to pick a nice clean flat road to land on. They might even be able to fix the problem and fly the plane right back out

Lolv at calling Pac Ave in Parkland "clean." Also it's a busy thoroughfare so landing there is definitely s hail Mary unless you're doing it late at night.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

This is why you never trust the PFY after electrifying his keyboard. You might find the new trench you were digging to steal bandwidth from across the road has mysteriously been re-routed into the basement carpark where it runs right through the CEO's space where you've been parking your car ever since you discreetly reminded them of the company's zero-tolerance policy on computer misuse.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Imagined posted:

"sounds like nuclear" is some purestrain internet stupidity.

Yeah the explosion wasn't nearly bright enough. The reason you look away from nuclear explosions is because they are bright enough to blind you. And there should also be some noise from radiation pushing across the camera sensor too.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Thomamelas posted:

The proper name for a group of SWIFT trucks is a Collision of SWIFT trucks.

Actually it is a Jackknife of SWIFT trucks.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

I can't watch this gif without mentally superimposing yakity sax as background music.

https://youtu.be/ZnHmskwqCCQ

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Icon Of Sin posted:

At least he found the brake and didn't pull the "oh poo poo, I hit the wrong pedal" then gave it some gas.

I would argue that he did "give it some gas" in this video.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Nenonen posted:

"The porter in Guangdong province was transporting bundles of cotton yarn wrapped in plastic bags when he stepped on the metal floor of the lorry, discharging the built up static electricity and igniting the yarn into a ball of flames" per Daily Mail (I googled for 'truck roll ignites static charge' and this was the first hit)

so the floor would have been covered in cotton dust :ms:

My father told me once that cotton barn fires were depressingly common in the antebellum South. Apparently without adequate ventilation the cotton bales create a dust that will ignite readily on contact with flame. And said dust also floats through the air and can be kicked up by things like loading the bales. So you'd run into a situation where your workers would start a fire by unloading the bales in lamp light. Cotton is insanely flammable.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

I just figured I would avoid opening up that can of worms in the OSHA thread.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Hoo-wee! That's some LIVE ACTION!

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Somebody better call the Turtle Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

morallyobjected posted:

I know this is downright tame compared to the things that go down in this thread, but we just had to do the mandatory ladder training

Excuse me, but is that a railing for a staircase on the left side of the picture? That guy should really be wearing fall protection.

When I worked framing I once watched a guy slip off a ladder like that guy is standing on. He was right next to a 2nd-story window. He nearly fell out of the window and was only saved by railing his nuts on the bar we had just installed across the window to prevent workers from falling out of the window.