Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Noctua makes a modified version of the D15, the D15S, that keeps twin towers (which are tweaked to allow for better DIMM clearance) but drops to a single fan. Efficiency doesn't take a big hit.

More importantly, it's offset vertically, so it doesn't block the first PCIe slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

AMD's shown their hand with the Radeon VII and it's pretty weak,

Likely, but reviews aren't out, are they?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Butt Discussin posted:

You're going to be bottlenecked hard by that 2700x with a 2080 even on a 34 inch ultrawide, depending on the game. Unless you plan on upgrading to a zen 3 processor in a few months, you might as well go with a 2060 or 2070 at most.

A 2700X really isn't as bad as you're trying to make it out to be, and bottlenecking isn't quite that simple. He'll definitely get a benefit from having the 2080 over a 2070 or 2060.
Will it be as fast in gaming as a 9700K or 9900K? Nope, that much is clear. But he's picked a nice board, and will be able to upgrade to a Zen 2 based CPU later on if he wishes.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 4, 2019

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

orange juche posted:

Tested out the Port Royal ray tracing with DLSS (basically AI powered antialiasing) benchmark, and if DLSS actually gets implemented in games, it will be a significant bump to FPS in game while using ray traced reflections. (DLSS and ray tracing are both part of Microsoft's DXR API, and thus should* be manufacturer agnostic, as long as AMD can come up with something that can do ray tracing and DLSS)

*with the exception of fucky drivers from one or both of team red and team green.

Too bad that until AMD arrives on the scene with competition to Nvidia and drives down the price of actual capable ray tracing hardware, it will remain vapourware in videogames effectively.

Before someone comes along and says that an intel chip would have scored better on that benchmark with a 2080, I was GPU bound, as the CPU didn't even break a sweat or come down from its max turbo clock, and the GPU was tapped out at 100% utilization. The only way you'd get better numbers is by throwing a 2080TI or multiples of them at it.

I've yet to see any evidence of dlss looking better than just running at a lower resolution. It seems incredibly underwhelming, and more just a way to convince people that running at sub-native res is a feature, which is a level of spin that would make Tony Blair blush.

I'd love to see some image analysis to the contrary.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 6, 2019

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Coredump posted:

What is going on with so many newer cases having solid front panels with no ventilation? Doesn’t that kill air flow? I see some vents around the side of the front panel but that doesn’t seem like enough especially if they’re trying to advertise you can put a radiator up front. Makes no sense, it’s like we took a step backwards in case design.

Yes, it kills airflow, and can cause components to throttle. It's stupid.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Stinky_Pete posted:

The i7 9700K doesn't have hyperthreading, so the 8th gen i7 might perform better with programs that use it, so they could consider going down to 8700k without noticeable loss (with potential gains) and put the savings toward a bigger SSD, or go for the i9

I strongly disagree with your comparison of CPU power. The i7-9700K has 8 real cores whereas the 8700K only has 6. Hyperthreading be damned, I'd take two extra cores any day.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Hbomberguy posted:

I do tons of video editing and rendering. I use an i7-6700, and was wondering if the performance improvement was worth the cost of going to like, a more modern i7, or even i9. It looks like a big cost for a jump that's not that huge?

You're the guy who needs a ryzen 2700/2700X. Hell, threadripper 2950x would be ideal, but then the price is.. higher

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

grimcreaper posted:

I had forgotten that memtest was even a thing. Is it still a lovely dos program or has anyone come up with something useful that's a bit more modern?

Windows has had one built in for a while.. at least since Windows 7.

start > run > mdsched

It'll want to restart and then test your memory for errors.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Question: Are the following components a dead nuts, hands down objective upgrade when compared to my current components?

Current Components:
* i5-3570K OC'd to 3.4 GHz
* Some mATX motherboard
* 4 GB RAM

Replacing Components:
* i5-7500 @ 3.2 GHz
* AsROCK B250 Pro4 ATX
* 16GB of DDR4 @ 2.4GHz

All of the replacing components will be sold to me for $175.

3570k locked at 3.4 is an underclock. It'll boost to 3.8 by default, with 4.2 being an easy overclock

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

tuyop posted:

An optical drive! Why?

I know I'm not that guy, but I still occasionally buy blurays and rip them. I even have an HD-DVD/Bluray combo drive because I have a handful of HD-DVDs. I might be kind of old school, but I wouldn't be without an optical drive.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Nocheez posted:

I'm an Intel man because I was burned by AMDs in the past, so I would go with the Intel build. I'm sure someone else will say to go with the AMD and save a few bucks, but I don't think you'll be unhappy with either one.

I've just wasted god-knows-how-many loving hours diagnosing a Cisco B200 M5 blade server only to come the conclusion, together with Cisco, that both 1-year-old 18-core 3GHz Skylake-X CPUs are just loving dead. They crash any software within minutes. The Cisco 3rd level guy also said it's happening more and more often, and that basically, Intel CPUs are not what they used to be. It's nuts to me: the CPU has traditionally almost never been the problem.

Does that mean I'd avoid Intel? Nah, but equally, your probable anecdotes of what I imagine to be Athlon XP era CPUs is equally baseless.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ethanol posted:

How does a $110 range AIO like the Corsair h100i or 115i compare vs a Noctua D15?

Very similar overall performance and noise profile, but you're left with inevitable pump noise with the AIO, as well as potential reliability issues down the line.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Backyarr posted:

Is there a consensus somewhere on exactly what to pay attention to when purchasing a used GPU? I never got into mining and so don't know how ruined the GPU can be. Do I just visually inspect the PCB for discolorations, run a benchmark (like UNIGINE Heaven) and snag it if it works?
The local equivalent of Craigslist has some pretty good deals on 1080Ti-s that I really want to take advantage of (900 euros in a store for a new higher-end 2080 vs around 600 for a used higher-end 1080Ti).

The seller is claiming the card is ~9 months old and is promising to provide the original receipt (so, more than a year of warranty left). It's an MSI Gaming X model.

I recently bought a used 1080 Ti, MSI Gaming X... it worked perfectly, it performs as expected in 3DMark compared to my other MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti (the other one is for my wife's machine), and basically was in pristine condition. Had the original box, and even all the covers for the ports and PCIe connector. Not saying yours will be like that necessarily, but I say go for it.
If you're paranoid, run a few passes of 3DMark and keep an eye on temps, if you have the chance.

I probably don't have to point out the the Gaming X model itself is a fantastic choice.. the cooler is really quiet and does a great job.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

I've been out of the part-shopping game for a while now and I'm almost ready to get back into it (seems to be every 4-5 years I build something new). What are the recommended parts websites right now? Are there any price comparison sites? I heard Newegg got bought a few years ago. Do people still shop there?

And uh, I guess rigs with tons of lights are back in style now? I remember they were a big thing in the mid-2000's, then it seemed like minimalist designs were the in-thing, and now I'm seeing poo poo like RAM with lights and neon liquid cooling.

Man, I wish I still lived near a Micro Center. Their open-box deals were hard to beat.

Yeah, having tons of gaudy lights is apparently not only in style again, but mainstream, and much more cookie cutter than before. Back then people were cutting up their cases and sticking cold cathodes everywhere; now everything is built in, and has a stupid "app", because a switch is too old fashioned.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Anime Reference posted:

Thanks, I'll do that. I didn't realize AMD had made such strides, they were a joke last time I was PC shopping.

Yeah, the pre-Zen Bulldozer period was not great, at all. Now, they're actually a great choice, and the upgrade paths on AMD chipsets are much more meaningful than Intel's.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

poo poo that is a lot worse than I thought, thanks for the chart.

Please re-consider. Any money put into a Bulldozer system is wasted money. Even the fastest (9590) is no better in any situation than even a Sandy Bridge quad core.
It's so bad that you could literally buy any used Intel Sandy bridge+ quad core office PC for a few bucks off ebay and jam a graphics card in it for a better experience, especially when you factor in noise, power and heat.

I've pulled up this recent review from 2017 to give some perspective: https://www.legitreviews.com/amd-fx-9590-8-core-cpu-review_190566

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 17, 2019

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

Yeah I am reconsidering right now, but I already paid for the CPU. I think I got an OK deal, I don't wish to disclose the amount because I don't care to see the resulting goon rage of "ur gay buy Intel" after I have already bought the processor. If I cant get out of the deal, I still kinda want the CPU for the sheer novelty of it, I still think I got an OK deal (I know I can't convince anyone here of that), and paying for a cooler will be just me trying to cut my losses.

Nothing wrong with modern AMD stuff, seriously [From Ryzen onwards]. I recommended and built a Ryzen 2700X based system for my younger brother, and it beats the poo poo out of my own, old, Intel 3770K system in terms of CPU grunt.

It's just that there's a particular, unfortunate period of AMD products where they were just churning out stuff that was impossible to recommend at any price. They thankfully redesigned their CPU architecture entirely, and are totally over that now.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 17, 2019

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Monathin posted:

Budget isn't limited so much as I know I'm expecting a couple windfalls and should be able to spring for a full upgrade and know what I'm getting inti. Not to mention my current setup makes overclocking less feasible and, coupled with my inexperience, I'm not really ready to take the dive. There's also enough parts of my current build I can recycle (the PSU was new when I assembled the system the first time and is either a 550 or a 650, so should suffice for the outline there but I'll double check, and I have a 250 GB solid state drive i haven't used up paired with a 2 TB HDD, which should be enough for the forseeable future) that doing an upgrade of RAM/CPU/GPU/MB won't really set me back that far.

Thanks for the picks! This looks pretty good from what I can tell. I'll go back through my olds parts list to make sure what parts I want to recycle are still feasible.

A 4790K is still really good. I wouldn't bother upgrading everything else until you've tried a new graphics card with it first. If you're not happy, then sure, but I really think you'd do the 4790K a disservice by not upgrading the GPU significantly.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

astral posted:

I was going to suggest overclocking it until I saw the H97 board. :ughh:

Still should be pretty decent at stock though.

Yeah, Haswell that turbos to 4.4 stock is no slouch

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Uhh Nope posted:

I was thinking about upgrading my CPU because I think it's starting to bottleneck my GPU in certain games.

My PC:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/67y6ZR

I figured it would be more cost effective to upgrade my motherboard/RAM/CPU now rather than upgrading to an i7-3770k or something and keeping the motherboard I have now.

If I'm aiming for ~100 fps at 1440p in a decently optimized game at all high settings, what motherboard/GPU/RAM should I consider?

Everyone's probably going to tell you two things:

1) Make sure your 3570K has a reasonable overclock applied, you've actually got a nice board and fast RAM to pair quite well with an overclocked Ivy Bridge, and
2) Zen 2's reveal is almost certainly coming during Computex 2019, which starts on the 27th of May.

That aside, I'm sure someone else will chime in and give some good advice about stuff you can buy right now

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Zen is the offensive and inconsiderate codename that AMD gave their recent slate of CPUs, before officially naming them Ryzen.

Zen is the architecture name, Ryzen is a consumer product based on Zen

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Agronox posted:

Could you explain what you mean, please? I'm hoping to put a new build together in a few weeks and was hoping to do mATX... why does it suck?

mATX is a great form factor, it's just been neglected by board manufacturers for reasons utterly unknown to all, so you can't always get the board you might want in microATX format

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

orange juche posted:

Is this your goon hovel?

Man, that thread was great. What a way to live

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

orange juche posted:

Considering that Microsoft has stopped support for W7, I would recommend not putting your W7 PC on the network connecting to the Internet. It would be extremely bad if your PC got compromised by an unpatched vulnerability and you wound up ruining that PC and other things inside your home/work network.

Windows 7 is not yet EOL. It gets security updates as normal. EOL is 14th January 2020

v I'm in no way arguing people shouldn't prepare, just pointing out it isn't (yet) a huge security issue

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 11, 2019

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

MZ posted:

No, a 2600 will be fine for 1080p60.

I was able have half the threads of my 2600 busily maxed out for rendering, and play Forza Horizon 4 at 1080p60 on Ultra settings at the same time like it was nothing.

Games aren't even close to challenging the CPU at 1080p60.

I play Forza Horizon 4 at 3840x2160 at 60 FPS with a stock 2500K (non-overclockable chipset, it's my HTPC). Forza Horizon 4 is just really light on the CPU, it seems..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

time to lose the IHS

Diamond heatspreader

Edit: turns out they exist

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

el_caballo posted:

I've got an unopened MSI B450 Tomahawk and a 3600, just waiting for the GPU to show up. The Tomahawk has "ready for Ryzen 3000" printed on the box but it's not a Max (not sure if they're in stores yet). Let's assume the thing boots fine with whatever factory-updated BIOS it has, does it make any sense to return it and wait for a Max version for stability/performance?

Is there some CPU-architecture reason why Ryzen 3000 needs 32 megabytes or whatever of BIOS space or does the dust just need to settle on all this poo poo?

Edit: Also my original plan was not to use USB Flashback and just count on the factory BIOS being "ready for 3000." Is there any reason to flashback it to whatever the latest BIOS is instead?

I highly, highly doubt the Max has stability or performance differences. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the bios chip size. That means on the Max boards they can bring back the flashier BIOS menus with images and crap.

I guess there's the possibility that the Max will get larger BIOS updates in future that can support more generations at once.

I wouldn't bother returning the board for a Max, there's a good chance the Max will just flat out cost more because.. it's a "new" board, and you're really not going to gain anything

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Man this new PC build has been so frustrating. If anyone recalls, I was having problems with my new build constantly locking up if I didn't have "GaMeR MoDe" turned on in the BIOS. It was suspected it was my RAM or my Windows install but after a month of troubleshooting I determined I had a bum motherboard. I received my new Gigabyte motherboard to replace my defective MSI motherboard. Finally Windows 10 no longer hard-locks, and I don't need to overclock my CPU just to get Windows to run for more than a day. But as is typical for me, I now I have a new issue and it's driving me mad.

I couldn't get this new motherboard to boot at first and I took each part out one by one. It turns out it will not boot if I have this card installed:

It's a DELL PERC H310; basically it's just a card that lets me hook up 8 hard drives to it.

Here is my new motherboard, and the yellow circle is where I am trying to plug this card in:

I am scratching my head as to why my new build will not POST with the card in that slot. Comparing it to my defective motherboard that booted just fine with the card plugged in, the only difference I can discern is that my old motherboard's slot was it's "own" PCI slot and not "related" to the graphics card. I am guessing my issue is that this new motherboard only has two PCI slots and both of them are meant for video cards? Is it really the case that I cannot use this card with this motherboard?

Sorry if these are stupid questions; my last build was from 2011 and I kind of figured PCI stuff didn't change much. Do I need to buy a more expensive motherboard with a 3rd PCI slot on it or something?

There are some pins you need to tape over on the card..
https://yannickdekoeijer.blogspot.com/2012/04/modding-dell-perc-6-sas-raidcontroller.html?m=1

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Azuren posted:

Putting together a build with a Noctua NH-D15. On the Y-splitter for the fan cables, it looks like one of the ends going to one fan is a 4-pin, and one of the ends going to the other fan is missing a pin? Has pins 1, 2, and 4. Is this normal, and if so, which should go to which fan, the center one and the front one?

The missing pin measures rpm. You can't measure the speed of two fans from one header - so the rpm signal is taken from one fan

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Removed the old drive and, uh, it's apparently the active/boot disk despite 10 being on the m.2 drive.

Lol

This happens often. It's been long running sh/sc advice to disconneot other drives when doing the install, because many, many others have posted the same issue

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So I'm getting a bit discouraged on putting together this Ryzen ITX build, mainly because I can't seem to find a non-X570 ITX board that's been updated to the new BIOS, and those are like twice the cost.

Is this AMD loaner CPU program to upgrade the BIOS actually workable? I don't think I want to wait who knows how many months for a B550 ITX board to come out.

I've done it. It's workable. You do need to post the cpu back out of your own pocket though

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Stickman posted:

If you're thinking about a used Pascal card, I'd recommend a 1070 Ti. They're down around $260-280 which makes them a decent value over the 1660 Ti (with a nice 25% performance boost), and they launched in November 2017 so EVGA, Gigabyte, and MSi cards are still guaranteed to have 1+ years of transferrable warranty remaining. 1080s are selling too close to 5700 prices to be worth the loss of warranty for roughly equivalent performance. Same with 1080 Tis and the 5700 XT.

When I bought a used 1080, I found 1070 Tis were the same price

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Scruff McGruff posted:

CES had some very interesting concepts this year, including a number that are experimenting with rotating the motherboard 90* so the MoBo IO is on the top of the case to allow for Bottom->Top airflow instead of Front->Back.

To be fair, Silverstone has been doing this for years

Edit: that could be because they patented it

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 17, 2019

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I see there's a lot of panic about amd's boot kit & also msi boards.
Thought I'd share my experience: getting a boot kit wasn't hard at all.
I'm running a 3600 on an msi b450I gaming plus ac. (mini-itx).
Yes, you get the basic looking bios, no, that doesn't matter.
I've had 0 issues so far. PBO and XMP enabled (ddr4-3466 cl16)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Stickman posted:

Those are the usual suspects :v: A 3600 will be fine for anything on market @60 fps, though the Morocco market might still have some issues. For the 2060, check out Babeltech's comprehensive benchmarks across a wide panel of games. Most games will be fine, but Metro: Exodus is hugely demanding and still only averages ~50fps with everything but RTX turned on. You should be able to turn down a few settings to get a solid 60 fps without much of a noticeable hit in quality.

The stock cooler is enough, though some people find it loud. The Evo 212 is a small upgrade, but like McGruff said you'll need an AM4 kit which may be difficult to find in your country. I wouldn't worry about overclocking - 3rd generation Ryzens are already tuned for near maximum performance, to the point where overclocking is often a performance hit.

I get 60 fps in the Morocco market with a 1080 and 3600, ddr4 3466
It made a huge difference over a 2500k

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

huhwhat posted:

Thanks for the offer but I'll most likely just pay a store to flash it. Don't feel bad about missing the detail, it's a forums thread where cool goons help each other out by exchanging info, not paid IT service.

The free amd boot kit really is viable. I used it. Only have to pay shipping when returning the cpu

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

huhwhat posted:

Anyone reading this thread considering a Ryzen 5 3000 series + B450 motherboard (from any maker) build, do reconsider, even if you're not on ITX. Get an X570 motherboard or maybe an Intel system.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/cfxeq7/stop_recommending_msi_b450_motherboards_for_ryzen/ As mentioned in the Reddit thread, it could be a case of selection bias, but it still seems like a lot of people are having trouble getting their system to boot. Now that my attention has shifted from the PSU to the motherboard as the reason for my system not booting, I'm tripping over all sorts of reports on compatibility issues. It could be the wrong RAM (case 1, case 2). You could've successfully flashed the BIOS to recognize newer 3rd gen Ryzen and there's a chance it still won't reliably boot afterwards.

I have an MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC that I used the AMD provided boot kit (Athlon 200GE) to flash the BIOS, to get my Ryzen 5 3600 to work in, and I have had no issues whatsoever.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Actuarial Fables posted:

You may want to budget for an SSD or two as well. Unraid provides the option to use an SSD as a cache device, which will greatly increase write performance due to how your write speed will otherwise be limited to the speed of a single HDD + your parity drive(s). Getting two SSDs allows you to use them as a pseudo-RAID1 volume to reduce the risk of data loss before they can dump their cache onto the HDD array. The case you have selected doesn't have any internal drive mounts, so you'll either have to have them loose in the case, use up some PCIe slots, or take up some of your hot swap bays.

I remember having great gains by enabling turbo (reconstruct) write, but I guess your mileage may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bank posted:

Sidetrack: I've been reading this thread for weeks contemplating a new build and I can't believe studios are making games that require stupidly expensive machines to really enjoy :(

I now remember why I bought my $200 Xbox One.

Still gonna build a new computer though.

This is pretty much entirely a myth, you just have to turn settings down. Even a 7970 from 2011 can run most titles if you're willing to turn down settings, and possibly vsync at half rate. People seem to equate low settings, sub 1080p, 30 fps (xbox one) to 60fps ultra settings at 1440p, and I have no idea why

https://youtu.be/svxzrs8Dtq8

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 29, 2019