Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

What's funny about this Xia expansion is that a lot of the new rule changes and ideas seem to come from BGG houserules, of which there are many because the game was awful in many ways.

Like: Losing a turn when you die for having a tier2+ ship is awful. Also, losing absolutely nothing when you die as a tier1 ship is also awful, because it encourages people to end their turns slamming into a sun. Both were fixed by respawning on the following turn with some damage, which was one of my houserules.
Shields being overpowered, so now there's a 'piercer' mod that helps cut through enemy shields.
Rolling ones for movement blows, so now there's a mod that increase the minimum number.
Rolling ones for shields against environmental effects blows, so now there's a mod for increasing the amount you roll vs environmental hazards.

Plus rule changes for when you look at mission cards (after your turn now), which previously led to five minute turns while you flipped through some cards and everyone waited for you.

Also three of the more broken ships are getting errata, which is basically printing out the most common houserules for them onto new cards.

Then he took one of the common merchant changes, where instead of there being infinite supply and demand, it's now controlled by a side board that changes as people buy and sell things, so the winning move isn't just moving between the two closest planets that share a buy/sell. You actually have to go between different planets as you use up the resources on one, while you wait for its stock to come back.

It's still a very dicey game, as in literally every action requires a roll, but it can be fun if you're not super serious about game design, and are willing to houserule in some sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, to be fair, nobody has ever thought of a Fallout RPG before, it's a pretty unique idea.

Fallout was a video game adaptation of an RPG, GURPS (as noted above).

So, he should just mail you the GURPS books with a few dozen pages of fluff I guess.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Thanks for the link. I really like these tables. I do wish they had some more felt color options though.

It's apparently not felt, it's some kind of mousepad material, a thicker rubber. They are still working on the exact material I guess, because their demos with neoprene had some shrinkage pulling away from the corners.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Lightning Lord posted:

I just saw this. EotB is like, a 1e purist or something and feels Mentzer ruined D&D. At least that's the sense I got from skimming the Foot

Oh, that's the Frank they've been talking about. Ugh, just call him Mentzer, the actual memorable name. Yeah, Mentzer made some rather threatening private messages or something and got banned from Dragonsfoot sometime in the past few weeks.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

That shipping cannot have been cheap, either.

I was in the original kickstarter, and picked up the mini-free version. $64 Gloomhaven I've had since February or whenever has been pretty nice.

It was such a ridiculous deal I felt I had to back that Founders project of his.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Actually...

I didn't want to get into the weeds, but...

https://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html

Arguably, a rules text which contains no literary content, which is just a description of a procedure or process or system - like game rules - are not protected by copyright at all. The intent is that you can't get away with preventing the dissemination of a non-patented idea simply by claiming copyright.

I do not offhand know the extent to which this restriction has been tested in games. I suspect it's come up before, and probably most people reproducing a game system take the time to re-write the rules just to avoid the appearance of potentially violating a copyright... but if the rules text really has no literary content, those people would prevail in court if they simply copied the rules word-for-word.

This kind of thing is reminding me that I work for a bunch of patent/copyright lawyers, and should look into this kind of thing as I'm halfheartedly working on my own game.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Hauki posted:

ah, a gloomhaven competitor

I got my gloomhaven for $64 though?

$150 for a Sonic game though is a bit nuts. It looks like a less wacky robo rally.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

:china:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, if they had actual kanji, or even those archaic kanji not even most Japanese people know, then I'm the kind of stupid nerd who might be interested.

Thank god they did it the worst way possible

I lived in Taiwan for the better part of a decade, and their version of tallies was building up a 5 stroke character line by line. 正 i think it is. 5 strokes, so you'd do the top across, then the one going down, then the bottom line, then the middle horizontal slash then the left upwards slash. So, the idea exists, but this is just poo poo.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

A friend of mine got his recently. Actually seems like an ok table, other than the fact that it's about as high as your armpits when you're sitting down (I guess some people like that, but I don't get it). He was none too happy about how long it took though, plus the fact that the accessories were still missing. And also apparently there's an issue with shipping the tabletops where they don't know how to make them not break in half?

Glad I backed out and just made my own tabletopper instead.

The Mint Delivery/Works just suddenly appearing is because their shipping company supposedly is on every email's blocked spam list, so that no one ever gets their tracking emails. Kind of seems like a thing a shipping company would try and fix. I'm signed up for USPS Informed Delivery though, thanks to these last few kickstarters. It is a tracker for anything heading to your address that passes through USPS hands, so I could see when it was coming.

Or maybe it was FedEx's version of it. I forget. Four kickstarters arriving within a week of each other was kind of a surprise. Mints/Founders/Root/SteveLichman's book.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Zark the Damned posted:

Wait, ND / SodaPop had goodwill? First I've heard of it...

Looks like I'm going to be suffering my first failure myself, the Dark Age Outpost. Creator seems to have gone silent and previous updates were about how he was getting screwed over by the mould makers drastically increasing their fees from the original quotes. AFAIK it hasn't even entered production yet and is years late.

I remember that one. Super-samey wood walls and towers and such, with a ton of overpromising. I almost backed it. I just checked, apparently it updated today, something about how he's still working on it, and a mad backer called his work to try and get him fired.

Nice.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

jivjov posted:

So the Mint Works/Mint Delivery Kickstarter is looking more and more like mismanaged trash. Some people got some of their stuff, but getting replacements for missing things has gone from "email us" to "fill out a parts replacement form" to "contact the shipping manager" to "contact a different team at the shipping manager" to "use a separate form with the shipping manager, they don't actually check email"

Guess I'm a lucky one that got my Mint Works/Delivery combo weeks ago without issue. I guess their latest update was 'whoops we accidentally provided kickstarters email, not the correct one, please stop emailing them'? Kind of funny.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

BioTech posted:

Looks great, but shipping is more than the base game for me and the FAQ states they are not going to work on it.

They're not even looking at doing multiple orders per pledge to split shipping costs, which is crazy. It seems that has been standard for awhile.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

silvergoose posted:

Yeah just thinking, don't make it harder to read, but a single bee instead of the 1's would probably tickle people the right way when playing. :unsmith:

I also hate d4's and think they are like LEGO(tm) blocks and dungeon lords imps. Very prickly.

Yeah d12 as d4's are a fairly common idea. Even Root uses a pair of them (except they're numbered 0-3 instead of 1-4).

They're neat, though I'm still fond of caltrops.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Spirit Island's 2nd expansion is supposed to go up today, 11am EST I think. There's at least 8 new spirits I think they mentioned. I'll definitely be hopping on that one.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ravendas posted:

Spirit Island's 2nd expansion is supposed to go up today, 11am EST I think. There's at least 8 new spirits I think they mentioned. I'll definitely be hopping on that one.

It's up:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/spirit-island-jagged-earth
$59, free shipping to US.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

With the shown stretches, it's going to be 12 new spirits, and 10 'aspects', which are like sub-boards that fit over existing spirits to change them up. Either changing their innate powers, or their special rules.

That's a ton, considering the base game has 8 spirits and zero aspects.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Unbroken is supposedly shipping in the US... via media mail.

Which is very not what media mail is for. Boardgames are actually explicitly not allowed. I'm sure when they send thousands of packages media mail, no one will question it. They supposedly talked to a person in USPS to okay it, but... it sounds dubious.

Golden Bell Studios, which is running the production and distribution (or somesuch) needs some communication lessons really: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1227872561/unbroken-a-solo-game-of-survival-and-revenge/comments

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

they are going to get dunked on by USPS rejecting all of their shipments and not refunding the payments because gently caress you you tried to game(lol) the system

They're even claiming that the packages are sent over opened, so they can look in them all and put that Inspected stamp on it, so it doesn't get inspected at the end location. It almost always gets inspected at one side or another, and if it's at the delivery side, the receiver has to pay the difference in what should have been paid.

So, they either bribed a person, got a waiver which seems sketchy, or are going to en masse Payment Due'd thousands of people.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Chubbs posted:

Re: Unbroken, I really hope it doesn't turn into a clusterfuck because the game looks like it will be a ton of fun with all the extras that were unlocked, and we're so close to getting it.

They did say that they'd be sending out emails after all the deliveries are complete, to ask if anyone wants to donate the extra 10 bucks or whatever to help them recoup the extra shipping costs. It seemed like most folks who responded to the update on KS had no problem with this (I'd think even more people would be willing to do it once they get the game and get a sense of just how nice of a product it is) but if it turns out that Golden Bell tried to pull a fast one then it could have a huge negative impact on people's good will towards the project.

It sucks for Artem because he seems like such a genuinely good dude who sympathizes with everyone involved and just wants people to be able to play his game above all else.

Yeah, Artem seems genuinely nice, then Golden Bell Studios fights people in the comments and acts like they have little control over anything that's going on.

Talking about how Canadian businesses have been selling the game for weeks already:

quote:

@Patrick very frustrating for us too (the distributor hasn’t even paid us AND we told them to hold it till we after fulfilled the KS) were going to go to Canada and visit Artem hang at S@L for a Canadian launch so expect it mid July sorry for the delay that is def annoying and frustrating for us too

Wonder if it's money mismanagement where they had to sell retail copies to pay to ship backers games. Whatever it is, this isn't exactly stellar service.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Flavivirus posted:

Speaking as someone who’d been approached by Golden Bell in the past, they seem pretty shady and have a long string of unfulfilled kickstarters behind them. Thankfully I had a lawyer friend look over the contract they sent and tell me all the red flags before anything was signed.

They're responding to basically everyone in the comments, and are just embarrassing themselves. I've never seen a company rep act so petty in their kickstarter comments.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1227872561/unbroken-a-solo-game-of-survival-and-revenge/comments

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

nesbit37 posted:

They get mentioned all the time in the Tabletop Publisher facebook groups. No one has had a good experience with Golden Bell, end consumer or publisher.

There's a ton of people in the comments also not having a good experience with them.

How is this in any way useful to post:

quote:

Golden Bell StudiosCollaborator
3 minutes ago

We post because oh maybe some of us are working ten hours a day? Maybe packing games? Maybe not making any money? Maybe working on the project with a team of people Artem included and seeing no financial return? Then being harassed and told we suck a lot? Maybe we’re owed some common decency, respect, and more thanks than having the bosses attacked for working and saying what they’re going to do? Just maybe, but probably not because why appreciate the big bad GB?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

90s Cringe Rock posted:

What's the situation for Unbroken shipping to the UK? I keep trying to look but getting distracted by the shiny golden trainwreck.

quote:

3 minutes ago
Oh you’re right why would we get permission when we spend nearly 500k a year in shipping. There’s no such thing as deals in this life or the next!

7 minutes ago
Haven’t had a weekend off in years!

I don't know UK's shipping status, but whatever the situation is, it is really inconveniencing them.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

nesbit37 posted:

Golden Bell has a bad rep from a bunch of projects. I don't know of any they have participated in that went off without either drama or legit issues. If anyone finds one post it up.

What's annoying is that the Unbroken campaign had zero mention of Golden Bell Studios until the final day or so, when they hopped on board. By then, I had already backed and wasn't paying attention.

That update is one for the ages though. Their shipper had a mental breakdown, their artist couldn't fulfill the online sketches due to a hand tumor, and they released a youtube music album to show that that is the true main piece of the product we have purchased, the boardgame itself is incidental in the packages that are sent via media mail.

Edit: They also threatened libel against anyone speaking against them, said they're being treated like a youtuber that killed themselves and if they did it it would be on us, and if we continue to complain they might just stop fulfillment and quit.

(My label is printed, still waiting shipment)

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Further Unbroken / Golden Bell Studios weirdness: :gb2gbs:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2229426/got-unbroken-today-shipped-fedex-box-was-1390lbs-t

Some person that was critical of them in the comments got a special package from GBS, with a long rambling letter. It's a bunch of games and stuffed animals and stuff, legit decent things... to a person that was critical of them?

I haven't risen to that level yet sadly.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Antivehicular posted:

Wait, what? Is Golden Bell Studios actually a company or like one weird guy? Because this is all sounding like "one weird person way out of their depth" stuff.

It's a company of six people or so living in the same house, I guess?

And even though their full time thing for the last while was delivering these games, they say that this part of their business isn't even noteworthy, they make tons of money elsewhere... like selling stuffed animals and doing art for Disney? Or something?

I have no idea. They freely share the kickstarter account in their company/commune, and when someone replies back to them, they go 'how dare you, that is a woman at the keyboard over here'.

Oh, ok. Stop account sharing, stop being dickheads to your backers, stop threatening libel, stop mailing non-media mail as media mail, stop doxxing... my package has been at 'label printed' for eight days now, when supposedly American shipping was supposed to be wrapped up two weeks ago.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a joke to own the trolls, but GB does not seem like a healthy company with healthy employees.

...is what I would have posted before seeing the giant care package? that one guy on BGG got. Now I'd say I hope Marc just logs off for a week and hopefully winds the company up after managing to deliver things, and the various rights go back to the designers.

Just stop posting. Please.

They actually haven't posted in 24 hours.

It might be because they got blocked or muted or banned or something due to people reporting the doxxing to kickstarter.

I'd say "Check for a thread on bgg from them!" but they're banned on BGG. Which is very normal for a publisher.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My Unbroken copy is still sitting at:
Pre-Shipment
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
Jun 22, 2019 at 1:15 am

Once that thing moves, I can finally comment in the section a bit more harshly. It's ridiculous that they're basically holding the games/campaign hostage while gaslighting backers and threatening libel and such. Maybe get a post-delivery refund like some others have gotten, to prevent them from posting in the comments.

Now I know to check on the final day of a kickstarter to see if GBS swooped in to take over. And I won't back anything by Artem because he's signed all future releases away to them.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

F
U
N

B
O
A
R
D

G
A
M
E

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Oh neat an Unbroken update

UK – Another area where we were told that it is only the matter of finding a freight boat. It now turns out that the agreement there requires additional review before proceeding which is likely to increase the cost due to this review, so Marc from Golden Bell is working on settling all outstanding issues as quickly as possible to allow us to get these moving. Golden Bell will be having an in-person meeting at GenCon with Spiral to discuss this arrangement to see if they can finalize this process to get you your games.

E: We want to make sure we ask for a reasonable amount, so we’d like to collect data on what people would be comfortable with. Please answer this poll:

What is the amount you would be comfortable paying in extra shipping to ensure Unbroken copies start moving?

don't worry though they've restocked the US for retail and hopefully they'll be using the profit to ship games to backers, maybe, probably without breaking laws or incurring customs charges, and hey look preview of expansion content! which is probably eternally owned by GB, much like the designer's soul and firstborn through thirdborn at this point

They're also preparing a final solution for Europe. Bad choice of phrase, really.

The update was basically 'we dont have money to ship to ROW, next month we will think more about it, the following month we will ask for more money, and then maybe eventually you will get your games'.

That bit about 'if you got an extra game, please return it to us at Gencon' is hilarious. Anything one receives in the mail is theirs, you can't force anyone to return anything. I love that even some people that just ordered the PNP still got games shipped to them. GBS is such a mess of a company.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

S.J. posted:

I've still never gotten out of the starter city in DoS1, after like 4 tries.

It just has such horrible pacing issues. You start with like 2-3 hours of straight fighting to get off of the beach and starter dungeon, and then the city is like 4 hours of just running around, talking to people, finding things, fetch quests and whatever else before you actually fight again.

DoS2 fixed this a bit, but it's still the same core game.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I assume Isaac lost money on the copy I bought.

Standee only Gloomhaven from the first kickstarter for $64, free shipping :cool:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

90s Cringe Rock posted:

only $100? again? Isaac is in fact being extremely unreasonable about it. good lord, just the size of the box.

The first Gloomhaven campaign had the standee only box for $64, free shipping. That's my copy!

As is, $100 + $28 shipping now, vs probably $120 + free shipping later in a 3rd or 4th printing after the typos get fixed and errata is in... I think I'll wait on this.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Kai Tave posted:

Anything to do with Golden Bell Studios is an unmitigated disaster.

They're banned from KS now, and tried to make their own crowdfunding site. It's not working out.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I just make my own stuff with Hirst Arts plaster casting. You get to customize what you make, and if you want different stuff, drop $35 on another mold and start casting.

That was back when I actually had spare time though.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The painting is the bit that makes it.

Painting terrain and dungeons is way easier than painting minis. You can even use the cheapo craft paints without any real loss of quality because the pieces are so much bigger.

Hirst Arts I used to cast for an hour or two while watching tv each day, letting the pieces dry and then throwing them in their storage bins. Then I'd have some build days while I played dungeon lego with them, then went through and painted them afterwards. It's definitely a process, and a sub-hobby, that takes a ton of time.

My kids are getting old enough though that I can give them some monocolor pieces already cast, and get them to paint them up with me for some gamer hobby daddy-daughter time though. In a year or two we'll probably try casting out.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

I hope it is just a case of bad lighting and that the real thing looks better or that a negative reaction will get them to try again for the original look :\

The normal way to make dice is by mass casting them with some rough edges, and then tumbling them for awhile to smooth them out.

Sounds like this mass production method can't really deal with the nubs at the corners. They'd snap off at too high a rate, or get smoothed away unevenly, and people would be rightfully annoyed.

So instead of rightfully annoyed at a broken product, they're rightfully annoyed at a subpar product.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

dwarf74 posted:

I have never played HeroQuest, but I have heard a lot about it.

What's the gameplay like? Would it be worthwhile if my group is still neck-deep in Gloomhaven?

It's roll to move.

You roll dice to attack, and they roll dice to defend. Swords - shields = damage done.

Gear is just upgrades to the number of dice you roll, or one off potions that heal you or whatever.

Spells are randomly drawn from a deck, and they each get one use. They're basically single attacks that just hit, for the most part.

One person has to be the 'dm' to run things, there isn't any AI.

It was great for kids in the late 80's, but I highly doubt it will hold up for adults now. From what they've shown, it doesn't seem to have any updates or improvements.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

TOOT BOOT posted:

Wasn’t there a HeroQuest Advanced by GW they could have adapted as an optional variant?

I have that. It's basically Basic Warhammer Quest. It uses Warhammer stats for the most part, but dungeon crawling. It even has some random dungeon generator so you can go through solo if you want. It really, really confused my 10yo self when I got it, so I never played it, and used the skaven minis for my Warhammer Fantasy army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I just use the bog standard Amazon Brand Laminator for $25: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUI5QWS/

I've probably laminated at least 50 things through it, and it hasn't gotten jammed once. It does what it's supposed to do, A++ would buy again.

Then you need some sleeves. 3mm for thinner pieces, 5mm if you want it really stiff.

Amazon basics 3mm for $13.50 has been working just fine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWU3HNY/

This brand's 5mm is supposed to be super clear, so I ordered it. Seems fine so far. $17 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N5422OK/

Both of the sheets above come in packs of 100, so after you get the laminator for $25, each thing you laminate thereafter is 13c-17c.

Then, you'll want a slide cutter to make nice straight cuts for things that don't use a whole sheet. I use this Fiskars one for $14 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SLC3IU/

And if you're cutting things, you won't want pointy edges. Get this cheaper corner cutter that does three different radii of cuts, for $12 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076FJ7SS/

(I feel like this is the third time I've typed this up in this thread)
Edit: This is not the boardgame thread, sorry. They're in there.

Also, things I've laminated:
Player aids that come with the game.
Player aids printed from bgg files.
Chicago Express stocks.
Literally all of the money in The Estates. I do not recommend that one.
Boardgame prototyping stuff.
Roll and write sheets.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 26, 2020