Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Arglebargle III posted:

What is this? Some sort of primitive social network?

In the 24th century, we have evolved beyond the need for social networks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Rhyno posted:

I read one of Shatner's the one where he brought Kirk back to life via the Borg or something? It was so bad it wasn't even memorable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Return_(Shatner_novel)

The only thing stopping this from being a literal Mary Sue is Kirk's rank.

WickedHate posted:

I also liked the Young James Bond series, okay??? Leave me alooooooone :(

Those were nowhere near as good as Young Indiana Jones.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

How bad do you guys think Into Darkness is? Because I realized it's been a few years and I still think it's the second-worst Trek movie, right behind Nemesis.

It rewatched it on a plane trip in November. It'll sit square middling for me. Worse than First Contact (half of which wasn't enjoyable to me) but better than Insurrection* and Nemesis.

*I haven't seen the Insurrection commentary yet, but from what I've heard, I'd probably rank Insurrection's commentary better than ID.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

macnbc posted:

I actually think Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites are the standard Star Trek games should be judged by. They play out just like a TOS episode and you can even get redshirts killed along the way.
That and there's a scene in one of them where Kirk uses his long list of girlfriends as justification of his manhood in a Klingon trial.

I was always a big fan of A Final Unity.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Seriously though make sure you watch the season 2 episodes Measure of a Man and Q-Who.

You'll also want The Emissary because that introduces a character you'll see later.

But for funsies, you'll want Peak Performance and The Royale. And if you can't enjoy Contagion or even Up the Long Ladder then I don't even know what to tell you.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

Peak Performance holds up all right as an episode, but The Royale is a lot less fun than it ought to be. The pacing just draaaaags. Aside from a very few memorable moments, it feels like the episode is about 75% padding and filler.

That makes sense since the in-universe novel the simulation is based on is 75 percent padding and filler.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I like the hot Irish lady and her yelling at her idiot relatives

I love when she's all "what haven't you ever seen a lady before" and Riker is all "I've got something for this oh yeah. I thought I had."

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

So was Lower Decks' CBS's attempt to preempt Scalzi's Redshirts tv show?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Epicurius posted:

Then in 2017, Star Trek came back with Star Trek Discovery on CBS All Access. Discovery takes place not too long before TOS. It''s the story of Michael Burnham, a human woman who was raised on Vulcan. After the ship she's an officer on runs into the Klingons for the first time, she basically commits mutiny, is courtmartialed and is sent to prison. She's then let out to serve on the USS Discovery, an experimental ship with a new kind of propulsion system, The show triggered a lot of controvery, both because it's only on CBS All Access, CBS's streaming service, and also because the show tends to be a lot thematically darker than a lot of past Star Trek (I think there's also a lot of innate conservativism among Star Trek fans going on, in the sense that "It's not like the TNG I'm used to, so it's bad"). I'm not a giant fan. myself, but it's ok, and it's got Jason Isaacs and Anthony Rapp in it, and they're always good actors. Also Michelle Yeoh, and, if you saw My So Called Life, Wilson Cruz.. The second season is better than the first, I think, and the third season, I think, has an interesting premise. Probably don't start with this one.

Just finished a fresh watch. It's certainly darker than DS9, but also has a bit tighter writing, probably due to the relatively short season and planned arc. I would say the biggest weakness, besides traditional plot holes that exist in any show, is that Star Trek has typically been a more ensemble cast, while Discovery tends to focus very much on the Captain, Burnham, Tyler, and Saru. That isn't to say that you don't get a sense of the other characters, but you rarely see them outside the bridge or chow hall. The shorter season plus the serialized story means there's very little time to explore the secondary characters.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I can't recall not watching Star Trek. i remember catching glimpses of TOS on syndication at times but I know I started on TNG, but I can't recall how far back I started watching.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

SardonicTyrant posted:

If I could change one thing from Voyager, it would be for the ship to suffer actual permanent damage, and then the crew did their best to repair it with whatever alien tech they could find, until it's a mishmash of like 5 different ships

If I had to change something, it would be to strand the ship in the Gamma Quadrant instead of the Delta Quadrant. It would start out as a Starfleet deep space mission to another quadrant, then the war starts, they can't get home, and they have to run from the Dominion in the Gamma Quadrant's equivalent of Farscape's Uncharted Territories.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Are there any named enlisted-rank characters in Star Trek other than O'Brian?

Edit: My biggest problem with Lower Decks is the fact that the characters are apparently all commissioned when it's supposedly focused on the comings and goings of the lower ranking dregs.

That Romulan/human dude from The Drumhead was a medical technician. He talked to Picard about how he just wanted to venture out into space and didn't want to bother attending Starfleet Academy.

edit: Did not see Roadie's post somehow

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

multijoe posted:

It would have been interesting to see an explanation of why the Borg haven't just snowballed across the galaxy, when given what we're shown of their existence they should be able to spread exponentially

It seems a bit nonsensical that the Borg only ever seem to have attempted a homeworld assimilation of humans instead of dispatching Cubes to any other world like Romulus or Qo'Nos or Cardassia.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Angry Salami posted:

And just because you've ruled one type of artificial life is a sapient being, that doesn't mean every other type of artificial life would automatically get the same benefits, and it'd be silly if it did. Data's a completely different type of technology to the EMH; it'd make more sense to rule that if Data's a sapient being, so's the Enterprise computer.

I will say the difference between the EMH and Data is that Data applied to Starfleet Academy, and took the oath, and I suppose had to be legally acknowledged as capable of recognizing what the oath means. The Enterprise's computer and the EMH were both software built/acquired by Starfleet as, well, literally accountable property.

That being said, what should happen in any... idk, realistic from an organization or bureaucratic perspective would be "oh Voyager is reporting significant sapient development on the part of its EMH, it's possible the EMH may be self-aware and sentient but it doesn't necessarily mean the rest are and what do we do now". It would have been a nifty throwback for Maddox to show up again because this is a different venue to achieving his goals not using a positronic brain and he would have wanted to study the Doctor.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

The most nonsensical thing is why even use medical holograms to do hard labor when you can just have robots do it instead? I guess because holograms can't get damaged?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

E: This line of convo gives me an idea for a plot thread for my RPG campaign, basically exploring the morality of a world where you can "voluntarily" undergo a process they perfected that uses electromagnets to "enjoy work more" or "be more happy" to the point of completely re-writing your personality. Where is the line of ethics on "voluntarily" giving up your "self?"

This is why I love the game Alpha Centauri

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang posted:

My gift to industry is the genetically engineered worker, or Genejack. Specially designed for labor, the Genejack's muscles and nerves are ideal for his task, and the cerebral cortex has been atrophied so that he can desire nothing except to perform his duties. Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot feel pain?
--"Essays on Mind and Matter"

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Strong Convections posted:

I can't remember where I'm getting this from (possibly TNG?), but I think there was some explanation along the lines of: "what if you end up saving someone/civilisation and they end up being space Hitler?"
Which has always felt weak to me. Yeah, you're "responsible" for space Hitler existing, but that doesn't make you responsible for what he does.
There is no way to have clean hands, stop pretending like that's possible because you don't interfere and just make the best decisions you can based on the information that you can have.

A better way to look at the prime directive is that by not interfering in pre-warp civilisations, you're avoiding homogenising the universe and thereby giving the opportunity for better outcomes/new ideas. You might think a civilisation is barbaric and doomed, but you could come back in five centuries and they've culturally and technologically leapfrogged everyone by doing things in a novel way.

I think it's the episode with Data's penpal and the debate is "if we have the moral obligation to save a species from a natural disaster to prevent the most lives being lost, do we not also have the moral obligation to intervene in intra-planetary conflicts for the same goal? And where do we draw the line?"

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Zurui posted:

If we accept the show at face value, then the Federation has removed all of the external influences that lead to criminality (and, in fact, may have removed some of the causal relationships e.g. private property) so really we're just talking about early intervention for sociopathy/psychopathy. I don't think there's any need to construct a dystopia when we're never shown that anyones' mental illness impedes their career - in fact, Barclay shows us that while some of the social stigma may still exist, Starfleet is very capable of recognizing that Barclay is an excellent engineer and a valuable member of the crew.

I'm still trying to figure out how Barclay passed the Starfleet Academy entrance exam psych eval. The Academy proctors made Wesley think he left someone to die, just for chance to enter Starfleet Academy.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

Does everybody have to go through the gaslighting gauntlet to get into Starfleet? With only one new recruit every testing session?

Like I guess it's a lot more interesting and whimsical than SATs, but it just seems improbable.

The Benzite dude went through it and came out of it shaking like he was told he murdered his entire family while blackout drunk. It does seem like an intensely unethical thing to do to young adults who are taking an entrance exam, but that's utopia for you? I wonder if you have to take it again if you reapply to Starfleet Academy later.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Sash! posted:

That's deep into "no poo poo" territory. It's such a non-test that it baffles me that they think it tests anything.

The entire time it's presented as an engineering qualification exam. So Troi thinks there must be an engineering solution to the problem. Which there is. It only requires her to be able to order a crew member to their death to solve. What it probably tests is the ability of the officer to consider that a viable solution to a problem. Riker was about to fail her until he obliquely gives her a clue to the solution.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think you can just turn gravity off and on in small areas. I wonder what it's like at the bottom of the ship where they have all the artificial gravity pushing.

Probably not any more noticeable for people on the bottom floor of a building than the 30th floor of a building. Although does gravity pull people down or just toward the floor? Because if the latter, can you lie down on the ceiling where the gravity of the floor above you would pull you toward?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

multijoe posted:

Nobody in TNG maybe (except Riker), the DS9 crew definitely hosed

Miles O'Brien/Keiko, and Alyssa Ogawa/i forget his name

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Humerus posted:

It really is striking how without the combadge the DS9/Voyager jumpsuits just look like pajamas.
Star Trek uniforms need to bring back rank braids on the cuffs and maybe like a mission patch or something.

I mean, Air Force flight suits are basically adult onesies.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Telepathic scans, being subjective, are inadmissible as evidence. At least that's what B5 taught me.

Didn't Admiral Seti's Betazoid aide use his telepathy for investigative leads?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

thotsky posted:

A Star Trek episode about personal vendettas and war crimes should be on the table,

It certainly worked for The Wounded.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Unmature posted:

Watching ST09 for the first time in forever and man I used to like this movie a lot more. There’s still stuff I’m into like a lot about Kirk, Urban’s performance, and it looks nice. But goddamn what is up with Spock. He’s smirking and quipping all over the place. And he sounds like such a wiener.

I feel like Quinto played that role like a younger Spock who doesn't have the maturity of the Spock from TOS. I recall reading an interview with Quinto before the movie came out and he talked about how he used to watch TOS episodes with Nimoy and talked with him often about the character. TOS Spock also quips pretty often and is a bit of a dick, but it's softened because he's being a dick with his dear friends. He's not dear friends anyone in ST09, so it makes more sense that in 09 and STID he sounds more smarmy. I kind of prefer it to Peck's portrayal on STD where's got the cold logic down, but not the sense of humor.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

Remember when they brought Burnham to the mess hall for 5 seconds so the rest of the crew could try to rough her up for starting the Klingon civil war (which she didn't)

She blame her for the Klingon civil war, they blamed her for starting the Klingon-Federation war. Which, if all you had to go by was Federation press releases, court documents, and Starfleet gossip, why wouldn't you believe she started it?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

multijoe posted:

That one plot point really bugged me, because she wasn't responsible for starting the war and to any of the bridge crew it should be immediately obvious the fault lies with the Klingons and Burnham only responded to their prior aggression, yet as far as I can recall no one in the show ever accurately describes those events and even Burnham blames herself. Was it meant to be this weird scapegoating where Burnham gets gaslit into accepting blame or were the showrunner just really stupid who didn't understnd the series of event they portrayed in the show?

Well, from the bridge crew's perspective, she mutinied and attacked Captain Georgiou and was preparing the ship to attack the Klingons without any provocation and in contradiction to all of Starfleet's standing orders and principals. It's not mentioned, but I suppose Starfleet assumed that her preparations to attack were detected by the Klingons and they responded in imminent self-defense.

I suppose after the war ended and Starfleet sort of helped what's her face become high chancellor, the Klingon chancellor may have informed Starfleet Command that T'kuvma intended to attack the Federation all along and Burnham had zero culpability.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

curiousTerminal posted:

Trek's been trying for maximum diversity for 60 years and famously made strides to promote racial equality, how the hell do racist star trek fans even exist?
Even going to LGBT rep, every series since TNG has at least tried to include some kind of LGBT character or story (except ENT? does t'pol's hiv allegory count) and TOS literally coined the term "slash fiction" because of how popular Kirk/:spock: was.

It truly baffles me how a piece of media can pointedly say "we dont want you here" and still have people doing the Garfield "i wonder who thats for" thing.

I will say in terms of casting, TNG was probably weakest in terms of diversity and the diversity in casting it's one of the things that I love about Discovery.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

IbrahimSom posted:

Hi guys, I love Trek, especially TNG/DS9/Voyager, but I think the three J.J Abrams flicks (I know he didn't direct the last one) are garbage.

do u guys think JJtrek is garbage

I love Bruce Greenwood as Pike.

"Your father commanded a starship for 12 minutes. He saved 800 lives, including yours. I dare you to do better."

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Spacebump posted:

I finally watched all of the Lower Decks. I am of the opinion of everyone else that said it starts out a bit slow but is the best of the streaming Star Trek shows so far. I enjoyed Discovery when I first watched but liked it a bit less when I rewatched earlier this year. Really wish they were a bit more episodic to make rewatching random episodes a better experience.

I was there were a few filler episodes that featured the secondary cast. I wanna see the ops, helm, tactical, and comms officers do stuff. It's Owo, Detmer, Rhys, and idk the comms dude's name.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Oh Shazad Latif is British. It's all the main characters plus all the British actors.

Leonard Nimoy is not British??

edit: did you quick edit that from captains or did I just slip into a parallel universe?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

CPColin posted:

I'm surprised the Time's Arrow haters haven't burst in yet!

I can't hate Time's Arrow because it has Brent Spiner playing Puck from A Midsummer Night's Dream and I will forever love that and David Xanatos I mean Riker, talking to Titania.

Alchenar posted:

The finale would have been Stewart fistfighting Dean Stockwell on the top of a quarry cliff edge.

i really want this in Picard season 2.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 29, 2020

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Kind of reminds me of Hypernauts.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Computer, a gallon of jelly babies please. This may get interesting.

i honestly wish there's an episode where Barclay created a holodeck program where he's the Doctor.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

HD DAD posted:

I maintain Capaldi’s last season struck the right balance of weirdo science fiction and silly whimsy that good Doctor Who is famous for.

The times Who took itself too seriously were easily its worst moments.

Capaldi's entire run is generally better than everyone else's run, save Eccleston's.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Timby posted:

Correct. Voyager had stumbled badly in the ratings and the UPN execs said two things: Use the Borg (because First Contact had become, at the time, the highest-grossing Trek movie) and amp up the sex appeal, hence Seven's awful catsuits.

Jennifer Lien had also developed a substance abuse issue at that time, so it was relatively easy for her to be dismissed from her contract.

Wasn't that catsuit also two sizes too small and painful for her to wear?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's also very good on DS9, where it's obvious he's way more of a politician than anything else

At the outbreak of the Klingon Civil War his Vor'cha gets jumped by three Birds of Prey and he can't handle them.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Payndz posted:

Why not just keep going? Combine Janeweven and Pim to make Jevim, etc. Eventually you end up combining every member of the crew* into one body. Stick 'em in a stasis pod in a chamber made of whatever the hell material they used to block a multi-megaton antimatter explosion six feet away in Discovery, stick holo-emitters in strategic rooms and have emergency holograms run everything, then run like poo poo for the Alpha Quadrant.

*Except, ironically, Neelix, because everyone goes "I'm not combining with Chef Paedo!"

In all fairness, this is a pretty good episode of Voyager. The one where Seven and the Doctor basically run the ship because they're running through some kind nebula that would instakill everyone and somehow Voyager has enough stasis pods for everyone on board.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

HD DAD posted:

I actually prefer ENT’s take on it, weirdly enough.

I liked Voyager's. It was a fun child-friendly take on The Shining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Astroman posted:

For me, that's how you have to appreciate those old shows: take them as stage theater (and really, a lot of the actors and production people are from that area). If you go in expecting modern "realistic" sets and special effects, you'll be disappointed. But stage theater doesn't have that and still tells amazing stories.

But there is a lot to be said for how people are brought up with media. For a lot of people even in Gen X, they can't stand to watch black and white movies. I consider TWOK to be the best Star Trek movie, and one of the best movies ever. The pacing and story is perfect, there's nothing wasted. So I was shocked to hear a couple years ago about Gen Y and Z people saying it's boring and slow. Sometimes there's just a pop cultural divide. Look at pop culture from the late 1800s to the 1920s--it's hopelessly simple and corny to most of us, but was unironically enjoyed by the people at the time.

In the same way that people go from saying TMP was slow and plodding to saying it was really good, I wonder if that'll ever happen for Final Frontier.