Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My (F/34) enunciation causing some issues with coworkers (M/F 40-55)
I tried explaining this to my boss and also told her when I was a kid I had a very bad speech impediment that I attended years of speech therapy for, which is why I enunciate so clearly. If I don't, you won't be able to understand me through the impediment. She basically told me to learn how to speak differently and to listen to recordings of myself talking so I can hear it. Trust me, I've done that enough in my life to get over my impediment. I absolutely refuse to go back. She also said she told them to be nicer to me, but I think it's unfair to order me to change how I pronounce words because apparently it's too proper.

Holy poo poo, how loving dense does someone have to be to tell someone to do this? Oh yes, all those years of speech therapy are worthless, stop speaking well, it makes everyone look stupid.

That new boss needs to go through a few years of not being a complete idiot therapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Jeza posted:

I mean, in his shoes I'm furious about the elk meat but I also definitely lol'd at the bit where he gets spiritual over the corpses of deers and is in floods of tears about their 'sacrifice'. just lmao

That's how sacrifices work. You make them by having no choice in the matter and its forced upon you with a bullet.

I also hate the idea of hurting animals, I even find it hard sometimes to kill bugs. How would that translate to the idea of personally shooting one myself?

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Hey Reddit, my girlfriend gets really annoying and verbally abusive when we play this one game, how can we ever fix this? I guess we could just stop playing it, but that would require growing a spine.

I can't understand why people get so competitive and lovely when it comes to online games. I have one friend I enjoy playing games with online, and its because they don't turn into a screaming idiot when a game doesn't go their way and just enjoy the time playing together.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Reddit posted:

I've thought about this situation and you need to think of this as playing chess, as other have compared it to. Jason has been manipulating both you and your wife, and your wife sure as poo poo isn't blameless either.

I was down voted to hell with my initial advice, but I was right on the money. I am prepared for the down votes with this advice. I really should make a new account with the name Cassandra in it. In Greek mythology she was cursed with foresight by Apollo, but nobody believed her warnings until it was too late.

You still need to read the riot act with your wife if you haven't already. From my original advice:
Sit your wife down in private first and give her the riot act. You should not to scream and shout but you can definitely be justifiably angry at her. Tell her exactly what you heard, tell her how absolutely disappointed you are with the both of them, how disappointed you are with her that she never told you about how this relationship between the two of them has gone from a friendship to an emotional affair, how you want marriage counseling NOW, and for her to cut off the "friendship" ASAP. She will have absolutely no contact with him - no e-mails, no texts, no Facebook, no telephone, NOTHING. You will do the same with your "best friend" - no e-mails, no text, no Facebook, no telephone, NOTHING. You will watch her block him from everything she has to contact him with. Let her watch you block him from everything you have to contact him with. If Part 1 doesn't work because your wife refuses to do it, at least you have said your piece. NOW here is where the chess game begins.

Call the pastor(s) of her and Jason's church ASAP and tell them what is going on. Be calm and respectful. Yes, you are an atheist, but that doesn't mean you can't use the Christian Bible against both Hannah and Jason, with the help of the pastor. Don't even talk about being an atheist, just let the pastor think you relapsed and might be able to be converted.
Explain to the pastor that they are having an emotional affair and that you and Hannah desperately need marriage counseling. Many pastors will do this, plus the pastor might be more than usually willing to do this because he wants to convert you. Let him think this, don't ever argue with the pastor over what the Bible says, you need this person behind you. Man up and start going to church counseling with your wife via the pastor. What is your wife going to do, say no? She'll go to church with Jason but not marriage counseling via the pastor with you? Guilt/press that upon her. It's also her pastor who hopefully has a ton of influence on her and can also pressure her to go into marriage counseling with you. Let the pastor start quoting Biblical versus at her, like don't covet another man's wife and all that jazz. It's a win-win for you. She will either take what the pastor says as gold in the counseling, or she will argue with him, making her look like quite the sinner in front of the pastor. Pastors don't play games when they get on a righteous streak.

Start going to church with your wife. Grin and loving bear it because your marriage is on the line here. What is your important to you, your football game or your marriage? If Jason is there, you both ignore him and don't sit anywhere near him. If your wife or Jason tries to go anywhere near each other, you block them. If you have to make a scene, do it. Your marriage is on the line. The pastor knows what's going on, and if you've been smart enough to get the pastor on your side, he'll help you handle it.

Start finding out who your true friends and relatives are. Tell your family what's going on, tell her family what's going on, tell your friends, tell her friends. It's debatable whether to tell Jason's friends and family - I'll let you decide what your gut says about it. How much you want to tell people is up to you, but play the pity card for all it's worth. Get these people behind you. If they are true friends and good relatives, they don't want to see your marriage crumble. You can always say something like,"Hannah and I are having some bumps in our marriage and she has gotten too close to Jason. I am afraid that if they get any closer, she will leave me for him. I ask that you let me know if she and Jason are having contact because it's not healthy in our marriage right now for either one of us to have contact with him. We are seeing (a marriage counselor / the pastor as a marriage counselor.) Thank for the help, I really want to save my marriage." These friends and relatives may or may not do this for you, but there is a good chance they will guilt trip the crap out of Hannah if she tries to contact Jason in any sort of way around them. You are also going to find out who already knows about their emotional affair. I will bet money most everyone around you already knows what is going on but you. I will also bet that there will be some friends and relatives who think Jason and Hannah should be married instead of you and Hannah. Knowledge is power and you need to know who is going to help you or help Hannah and Jason try to sabotage your marriage further.

Still go see a clinical marriage counselor with her. Go see a therapist by yourself. You need start filling whatever emotional void that Jason manipulated your wife to use him for. A therapist and a clinical marriage counselor will help you and Hannah figure this out.

This is all I have for right now. When I think of some more chess maneuvers, I'll edit this post. I have some other ideas, but they are the nuclear option and not appropriate (at this time.)

Holy gently caress, some of the comments in that one are nuts. A lot of :biotruths: about women.

Also the amount of times this guy is just flippantly assholish about her beliefs is hilarious. Yeah, that'll help your marriage last.

OP posted:

That's just not me. Either she is going to want to work it out or she's not- I think she is working with me and that pleases me. But I'm not going to call everyone we both know aside and get them to spy or keep tabs on my wife. I'm not going to go to church with her and I'm not going to try and turn her shaman against her. I'm not going to play the 'pity card'.

If someone wants to have an affair they will. I'm not going to manipulate my wife or try and win some loving game. Yes, we may do counseling. But it isn't going to be a game.

I'm not saying your advice is bad persay, just that to me, if I'm going to lose my integrity and self-respect to browbeat and emotionally manipulate my wife into a marriage I'd rather be single.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I'll say the old r/relationships and loveline advice to that one. If your SO is constantly checking up on you and checking your phone, it's probably them who is cheating. So good times for him are coming, I bet.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

La Brea Carpet posted:

My [33/F] husband [35/M] of 3 years has been acting really weird lately

It's either drugs or a tumor.

I wonder if he got the bruises when one of his stalkings went a bit past just peeping...This lady needs to call the loving cops. I'm sure as his wife she's hoping for the best but one of the things he's done is enough to get professional help in some way. The stalking one is straight up already criminal, but where does she think he's going to stop? Or how about, how would she feel if some guy was stalking her in the same way?

Even if it's a tumor, get the cops involved first, then get him assessed. Try to keep the stalking victim safe.

How are people so hosed up?

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [23F] loving dad passed away a while ago. My family cannot afford to get him a proper headstone. I want to pay for it, but my fiancé [24M] doesn't want me too even though we have plenty of money.

My dad and I had a very special bond. He was my everything. He passed away last Father's Day suddenly and in a very traumatic way which (I won't get into.) I'll just say that I held him to the very end. It was the worst thing that ever happened to me and on Father's Day of all days.

My family is very poor so he was creamated and buried. He doesn't have a headstone, just a tiny grave marker, which bothers me a LOT. I loved him so, he deserves a proper memorial because he was truly the most wonderful person I have ever known and he gave me everything.

I recently got my first job as an RN and my fiancé works in the space industry as an engineer. He makes plenty of money for us and happily provides. We keep all our money together. But now since I got a job, I am more able to contribute and save for things I want. I don't have a ton of money since I just started, but the job pays well and I have enough that it would not really affect our financial situation to buy him a headstone.

My fiancé thinks it's not a good use of my money. I have a lot of broken teeth and I have always wanted to get them fixed cosmetically. My fiancé thinks this is a better use of my money, but I disagree. I can live with broken teeth a little while longer and it's not nearly as important to on me as giving my father a proper memorial. I think it would improve my mental status from the trauma of what happened to know he is being remembered properly.

How do I approach this? Thanks.

tl;dr fiancé doesn't want me to buy a headstone for my dad.

So she have a lot of broken teeth, and her idiot fiance doesn't think it's maybe worth paying for that himself then? Sounds like their finances or not together at all, especially since after she gets a job she NOW can start saving up for things. She's got a real winner here.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

dudeness posted:

That's what I love about this forum, nobody ever insults Robot Jox. Keeps me from having to spread any hatred whatsoever.

Robot Jox is awful...ly fun.

I love movies, I love the background stuff that goes into movies, and when I meet someone who loves a movie that I think is terrible, I don't try to talk them out of liking it. Why the hell does it matter if a family has a favorite movie that you think is poo poo? How does that affect someone in any way? That guy is loving stupid.

Now if only someone could teach that to the Star Wars nerds.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I (33F) needs to tell my (38F) ex-bestie that I can no longer attend her birthday celebration but I’m scared of her.

I’ve been friends with this woman since April and she recently “broke it off” with me because I’m “selfish” and “boy crazy”. I’ve noticed a pattern of abuse from her so I was relieved to finally be cut loose.

It’s been about three weeks since the “break up” and she recently reached out to tell me she still considers me a friend and wanted me to attend her birthday celebration in another city for a weekend. She mentioned before that she did not want couples attending for God knows why. Anyway, I recently started seeing this guy and it’s going well. She told me I could bring anyone that I wanted so naturally, I said the guy I was dating. She said okay.

At 3am the next morning, I get a wall of text that basically says she was cool with him going but she’s not anymore. She says it’s her birthday and that it’s not a “romantic getaway” for me and the guy I’m seeing.

The funny thing is, she told me earlier that night that she invited another couple to go. I didn’t know what to say except he was excited to go so it’s disappointing but it’s her day and she can do what she wants.

Clearly, I don’t want to go at all. She bullies me and continuously puts me down for being “selfish” when in actuality I have an anxiety disorder so I tend to worry a lot about my behavior. She also says I’m “boy crazy” because I like to have male attention. That part might be true but I don’t see how my dating life effected the friendship.

I’m nervous because she’s very vindictive and I’m worried she’ll retaliate somehow. Either by not giving me the money is has borrowed or by ruining my reputation somehow.

Anyway, my question is, how do I tell her I’m no longer going? And when? The event isn’t until the first week of October.

TL;DR How do I tell ex-bestie I’m not going to her birthday event? I’m worried she’ll get mad when I tell her and retaliate.

This was the perfect time to spoiler tag out the ages, cause holy poo poo, this lady is mentally at the age of 14. Why is it so hard for people to just not be friends with assholes?

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

My brother was an Otaku nerd, a real loser, but he seems to be turning that around. Now let me tell you all the names of these figures, that I only saw through a crack in the closet door. After I was almost caught masturbating in his room. He's clearly the one who is the Otaku loser.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

darkwasthenight posted:

I've joined a few relationship advice groups and they are an untapped goldmine. Who is ready for some good old-fashioned :murder:?

Put everything else about this aside and just think of how much money they wasted because he is a jackass. That's reason enough to sever cause financially this man is a disaster.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Why wouldn't they be legally married? Are all married people in other countries not married anywhere else but that country? The hilarious thing about getting married in Vegas is that it's really not that hard to get married anywhere, as long as you file your paperwork. They just streamline it.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [26M] fiancee [25F] of 4 years embarrassed me in public and refuses to take responsibility for what she did.
Instead of honoring our agreement as we had laid out in great detail, she just basically disregarded it completely and embarrassed herself and almost me.

tl;dr: Fiancee embarrassed me in public by grandstanding in an inappropriate venue and refuses to accept that what she did was wrong.

Now, it can't be both.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for taking my child out of piano lessons because the teacher’s husband is an InfoWars supporter?

Piano lessons are at the teacher’s in home studio. She’s wonderful and does a great job teaching piano. My wife comes home after our child’s most recent lesson and off hand mentions that the piano teacher’s husband has an InfoWars bumper sticker. The first words out of my mouth were, “We need to take (child) out of those lessons immediately.” Wife looks at me funny so I tell her to go check out the site. She knew it was right wing but I don’t think she understood how fringe that site and followers really are. We had a long discussion and she respects my opinions, although she wouldn’t have seen an issue with it.

My argument is that he believes in fringe conspiracy and he’s got guns in the house. Our child is in danger in that house. I can’t risk him going nutty if InfoWars makes some call to action and his beliefs turn into violence. We’ve pulled our child out of these lessons and have told the teacher why. Obviously the teacher is upset saying we all have a right to our opinions and political beliefs. I’m a free speech/thought believer but people are accountable for how others view them in light of those beliefs. If he had a MAGA bumper sticker, NBD. InfoWars promotes some really dangerous ideas and I look at their supporters as dangerous especially with my family being in their home.

AITA for pulling my child out and thinking they are dangerous?

Oh, so close. Maga bumper sticker is just as bad. Guillotines for all.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

ad090 posted:

Is my fiancée setting up uncomfortable scenarios on purpose to upset me?

Is this person gaslighting me with this loving post? Jesus, just leave already.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

DemoneeHo posted:

My son (8m) is being bullied at school because of me (33f).

(Edited in some paragraph breaks)

It's unfair as gently caress, but the best thing you can do is transfer your son to another school

When it comes to cheating stuff, the one phrase I'm sick of hearing is "his marriage is broken and he's planning on leaving so we hooked up". How about acting like an adult and waiting til he actually leaves?

When someone doesn't know the other person is married is one thing, but marriage on the rocks is not even close to an excuse for sleeping with them. The lady from this post doesn't even really seem to think that she has a part in this situation.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

hot take but it's the married party's responsibility to not seduce someone.

Hot take but when someone seduces someone, you don't have to reciprocate if it could affect your child's life. When you sleep with a married parent of a student at your school, you can probably expect problems if that relationship explodes, which it probably will as you are helping a spouse cheat.

She is not blameless, as having kids means having to keep it in your pants sometimes for that health and safety.

EDIT: I'm just going to clarify cause I guess you thought that I'm saying he's not to blame? I don't see that in my post but it definitely wasn't my intention. I'm saying she's not blameless, which doesn't exonerate him.

ScentOfAnOtaku fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 16, 2019

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

ghost emoji posted:

yeah that's what I was trying to get at, they both hosed up, you can't hoist all the blame on one party

unlike this story:

Prank gone wrong (Michigan) (self.legaladvice)

See now if you banded together with your idiot prank friends to pay for her hair to be fixed, maybe someone could have sympathy for you, but you didn't even do that, so gently caress you, 1k is not enough.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Blade Runner posted:

Once you've started talking about the etymology of words you have lost the argument more brutally than can possibly be articulated and should just take the L

Considering the person they were replying to said that the Thot isn't a ho but a ratchet girl, pretty sure that person is still the wrong one. Calling anyone derogatory names is wrong, not a hard concept.

It gets worse especially when the racial component then gets treated like it's not there.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Legality of removing a private company's car boot from vehicles in my neighborhood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrL5tqFczPE

Just saw this last week wonder if that's where they got the idea from.

I know some places have made it illegal to use boots, but I don't know all the specifics of it.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not allowing my wife to babysit the neighborhood kids for free during the summer.

Every single time he says "her son" it reminded me of my old friend's brother, who would say to my friend "my dad". Not to me, not to other people out of their family, just his brother. Like that poo poo bothered the hell out of my friend (and me too really because he was a little poo poo anyway), especially since his parents were assholes and treated that little brother like royalty so it really did feel like he wasn't part of the family.

Maybe the mom doesn't feel comfortable with him calling him his son, maybe the son doesn't like it, but holy gently caress with everything else, it's probably the OP who is a raging rear end in a top hat. Heaven forbid less fortunate people have help.

EDIT:^^^^ Lol, Please indicate if you are male of female, as clearly the men will think I was right to mouth off to literal children and escalate the situation.

ScentOfAnOtaku fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 8, 2019

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

DemoneeHo posted:

My sister won't stop pooping in my house.

Why are they doing this to you? Cause you don't lock your door and you let them.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

AITA for kicking my girlfriends friends out over my laundry habits?
Bad friends.

If this one doesn't end with an update saying he dumped his GF I'll be very disappointed.

The lady with the idiot dick water husband should do the same.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Piell posted:

For some reason a lot of people feel entitled to do anything they want to a baby or a pregnant person, and if you refuse to let them they storm off declaring how rude you are.

There has been a very easy method to avoid these situations that people have employed for a long time. It's called waiting for the pregnant person to say "Do you want to feel the baby kick?".

It boggles my mind that people think they should ask that question. Like maybe a child might ask it and that's fine, but an adult?

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I Was The Fury posted:

My (25M) estranged biological father (50sM) is expecting another child. He is going to give it exactly the same name as me. Wtf.

Considering the poo poo this person went through, they are pretty well adjusted it seems, so good on them. Sadly, I doubt there would be anything that they would be able to do to help the child.

Cutting that dad out was the best thing this person could have done.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

My [21F] best friend [22F] befriended my childhood bully [25F], doesn't understand why I won't spend time with them

Throwaway just in case.

When I was in middle and high school, my best friend and I were bullied pretty badly by an older girl we knew. She really hosed up both of our self-esteem and framed it as "tough love" from an older sister-like figure. By the time we hit, like, 15/16 years old we had gotten out from under her thumb, but we were picking up the pieces for a long time. To this day, hearing her name can send me into a panic attack, and I have physical scars stemming from her actions.

Recently, this girl approached my best friend and a few other girls that she'd bullied (not including me, mind you) and apologized, saying that she'd been going through a rough patch and that she had changed, and that she wanted to be friends with them. Most of them told her to gently caress off, but my friend agreed, and they've become really close. It's starting to really interfere with my life.

For a bit of background, my friend and I are involved in a fairly niche hobby with a very insular community surrounding it. There are less than 50 people who actively participate in our whole state. She's started inviting our bully to community events, and I've had to skip three events this year because I knew she would be there. This girl isn't able to come often -- she lives out of town and isn't as invested as we are -- but it's becoming a problem for me. I have talked to my friend about this, but she doesn't get why I'm upset. She thinks I'm being childish and that if she could forgive our bully, then I should be able to too. Yes, it's been years, and maybe I should be over it by now, but I'm not, and I don't know how to deal with it. I can't be in the same room as this girl, but my friend insists on dragging her to things that she knows I want to go to! Am I being unreasonable?

TL;DR Best friend befriended our childhood bully and keeps bringing her to events she knows I'll be at even though being around her gives me panic attacks

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Tythas posted:

AITA for not letting the mother of my daughter visit her unless she pays me $20,000?

Posts like this one I don't get. It's like the opposite of the validation posts. There is no way anyone would side with him in this one, he makes sure of it by adding little details to make sure he's a dick, so why post it?

Soon we will find out all of the real posts on reddit are ones from people who get off on the embarrassment and harassment of the other posters.

EDIT: It's like that with the mom who forced her daughter to watch a movie and took her tablet away when she was working. She goes out of her way in that one to make sure we get she's a petty shithead, why do that?

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA (29f) the for telling my sister (34f) that her swimsuit was wildly inappropriate for both her body size and the occasion (my dad's retirement party)?

I am going to try to keep this in a reasonable length but while giving all relevant information. I am one of 4 sisters born to military family. My dad was a Brigadier General in the Marines and is retiring inAugust. The Marines did his retirement ceremony last Wednesday and my mom and I planned more of an informal party at the golf and tennis club they've belonged to for almost 30 years now. My dad is in his 50s so it was essentially his military peers, people from their church, other members of the club and kids ranging from a week old (my niece) to teenagers.

I don't get along with my oldest sister at all. For whatever reason we just have never seen eye to eye on nearly anything and in the interest of fairness, nearly everything she does bothers me which is why I'm asking the question here. Since it's part of the question, I think it's important to mention that she is very obese but always thinks she looks "goooooooood" because her hair is always done, she always has 3 inch nails and wears super fashionable clothes.

So for the most part everyone was wearing pretty appropriate pool attire for the golf club. My sister showed up wearing a fluorescent one piece with dip down past her belly button and the "straps" barely covered her nipples. She had on basically a see through sarong which revealed that the back of the suit was a full on thong.

I tried to quietly pull her aside and say that maybe with her body type and certainly the atmosphere of a golf club, her suit wasn't appropriate. She asked me what I wanted her to do about it. I told her I would prefer if she changed into something more appropriate for the setting, as there's kids around. She told me its 2019 and kids can handle what she's wearing. I told her that my mom and I worked hard for this party to be about our dad and here she was making it all about her appearance...again. She told me to stay the gently caress out of her face for the rest of the day so I obliged but I was absolutely right that she attracted a lot of negative attention and her looking like she did detracted from the party.

Was I the rear end in a top hat for pointing this out to her? Or since nothing changed and she wore what she was going to wear to her detriment, should I just have kept my mouth shut?

Nobody was making it about her appearance until they started blustering about it I bet. They may admit to having a problem with their sibling, but as people say, you go looking for trouble, you'll find it. They probably would have found something else to complain about. The swimsuit may not be appropriate, but who was going to really be hurt by it?

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

It's a few days old but I don't remember seeing it

Detective wants to "just talk over coffee" after coming to my home with an armed group of cops
Today, three unmarked squad cars rolled up my home today while I was at work. They asked my wife if I was home, then told her that they needed to talk to me about something "so we're on the same page". The detective who spoke with her left his number and left, saying that either I need to call him so we can set up a "casual" chat at a coffee shop or they'll come back to talk at our home soon.
The ominous thing is that all these 5+ officers with him were decked out in bulletproof vests with their hands resting on their pistols. My wife said that the detective was very nice and sociable, but the atmosphere was that of extreme tenseness. I'm really concerned about how it would have gone if I was home.
I called the detective after I got home and the conversation pretty much went along the lines of what he told my wife, except for a couple little details. First, he let slip that he contacted my old workplace and the HR person mentioned that I forgot to finalize a transfer of retirement shares to my portfolio ("just FYI, they've been trying to contact you, haha"). Secondly, he mentioned where I currently worked in a sidehand comment when saying "oh, that town is where we work too!" and tried to subtly worm out when my hours were. Lastly, he said that he'd love to get me a coffee in the next few days and talk about something he can't disclose bover the phone, and that I'm not in trouble yet.
"Yet."
What should I do? Should I meet him in a public place and say very little? Go there with an attorney? Ask instead to speak at their office with my attorney? I'm also going to record our conversation, do I have to notify him that I'm recording? I live in Washington state, if that helps.
Thanks in advance, I look forward to getting some other opinions on the matter. My wife is getting hysterically fearful and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't extremely stressed and anxious as well.

His replies in the comments are so weird it's probably a troll, but wow, sad how little people know about why they should get a lawyer and how they should never talk to cops.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for making my pizza really spicy so my gf would stop eating it?

I bring a pizza home after work some days. I always ask my gf if she wants some, she says no because ‘she is trying to be healthy’ and then ends up eating 3-4 slices. It’s annoying, and I have told her to stop many times but she hasn’t. One day I got off early and I saw an opportunity to teach her a lesson. I order a very very spicy pizza, get home and lace it with more extremely spicy sauce I have. I then move all the drinks into the garage fridge and all the cups out of her reach, i keep one water bottle if things go wrong. She gets home and does the same thing “oh I’m just gonna be naughty and have a piece hahaha’. Anyway she has the pizza and it is way too spicy for her that she has trouble breathing and her nose bleeds a bit. This went wrong so I got more drinks and some tissues to fix her up. I was like, sorry I tried to teach you a lesson but it went south. She is very mad and just stopped talking to me. AITa in this situation?

I see what the problem is here, simple spelling mistake, but I don' t know why you'd make your pizza spiky.

EDIT: ^^^ The whole "it's a papercut, etc" crap makes this person the rear end in a top hat in the first place. If you've told them that you can't work, and you've given them plenty of notice, either stand up for yourself or suck it up and shut up. Don't get pissy at someone for possibly having a piece of glass in their foot. Jesus.

ScentOfAnOtaku fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 12, 2019

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Tythas posted:

AITA for refusing to destroy photos of my ex-husband now that she is a woman?

First, they're the rear end in a top hat cause really, how does it really affect them? Or why not keep some photos and hide them away and not tell their ex? Like the dude who paid his girlfriend 20K to have a baby she didn't want even though he states he was pro-choice, in the moment they found out they aren't actually as woke as they think they are.

Second, to credit the OP, they are actually being a hell of a lot better about it (if they are to be believed in how they treat their ex) than most people would be, sad they can't just do this too.

Finally, I know Stalin probably did everything in his power to change the narrative to make him look good, but he never tried to erase himself from history as far as I know.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I [29/M] am concerned my penpal friend [37/F] is possibly a white supremacist or neo-Nazi

How in the hell can anyone in 2019 not be aware of what white pride means?

Hot take though, I'd say stay being their penpal and help them through a terrible time in their life and maybe with your positive vibes and values be a positive change for that person's life. Of course, this OP may not be able to do that now that he has to grapple with this whole white pride is racism thing he just found out about.

EDIT: sorry, I guess I just parsed it wrong in my mind. I took it as Stalin erasing himself from pictures.

ScentOfAnOtaku fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 12, 2019

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

My [25 F] fiance [31 M] makes me feel like I'm losing my mind.

It ain't easy being cheesy :(

I'd like to say ADHD or something to explain it away with forgetfulness, but this just feels like gaslighting.

EDIT: Until the OP said he ate all the cheetos that she bought, I was actually thinking it was a not so subtle hint to stop eating cheetos.

ScentOfAnOtaku fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 12, 2019

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

The problem with this thread is that it all runs together so I forget if things have been posted or not.

My [28F] friend [35F] passed away and I found out she was a pathological liar
tl;dr at the bottom
I live in a house with a basement. I inherited it from my grandparents and moved in after doing renovations. The basement has been converted into a small apartment with independent access, and I planned to rent it out to help with the bills.

One of my friends, "Cindy", who I've known for years after meeting via an Internet forum for a shared hobby, expressed interest in renting the place from me, as she wanted to move into my city and change jobs (she used to leave 3 hours away.) I accepted and she moved in, paying 3 months of rent in advance. She found a job within a few weeks and all was well, for the first few months. She was friendly, respectful, paid rent and bills on time, the few times I went into the basement there was no damage or anything out of place. She used to spend most of her free time home with me, and we would eat meals together, watch movies, have friends over for dinner/bbq/movie nights, she was happy about the new job and told me she was very happy about her choice to move. She had always been a bit over the top as a person, but I wasn't bothered that much by it. She had always been like that, it's not like I didn't know (our friendship was mostly offline after we first met in person).

Over time, over the past 6 months roughly, things took a turn for the worse. She started to be increasingly aggressive over the most minor things and eventually she was having anger outbursts over stuff like why did I go out without inviting her or why did I keep her Amazon package in my living room (unopened!) instead of bringing it to the basement. It was unbelievable. She also started paying rent late and told me she had maxed out her credit card. She started to be controlling and wanting to know where I was and with whom. She also tried to encroach on my time more and more, requesting help for various reasons. If I refused, she would go ballistic. My boyfriend started to come over less and less and told me I had set boundaries with her. I tried, but the only result I got was getting screamed at by Cindy, who told me that I was oversensitive and I just wanted to get on her nerves. I tried multiple times, to the same result. I spent many nights at my boyfriend's place back then because I started to be very afraid of her. My BF and friends' encouraged me to start the eviction process because Cindy said that she would ignore the notice I was about to send her (two months notice to vacate the apartment without eviction.)

It was an immensely stressful time and I was very scared and anxious that she would retaliate somehow. I didn't have time to do anything, though, because three weeks ago or so Cindy died of a heart attack. She was in a local supermarket with a friend when she had the first symptoms and I learnt about what happened after she had already passed. Apparently she had a family history of heart disease, plus her health was poor to begin with (smoker, unhealthy eating, etc). The hospital asked me how to get in touch with Cindy's family, I told them I had no idea, as Cindy always told me she was no-contact with her abusive family. She also had no husband or kids. The hospital must have done something to look for any next of kin, because a couple of days later I got a phone call from none other that Cindy's husband, "Thomas".

Here's what I learned from Thomas, from other friends and what I found out while helping him go through Cindy's stuff in the basement (I'll make a list because I'm honestly very overwhelmed and it's easier this way):

- Cindy had been married to Thomas for 12 years and had left him to move in my city, except she told him she was living on her own, in a different town than mine, and never mentioned my existence to him. They were still legally married and he told me he let her move hoping that "she would finally be happy." She had always been deeply unsatisfied with her life.
- she was abusive to him in very much the same way that she had been with me during the last months, sometimes also physically.
- we found some old paperwork from a psychiatry practice saying that she had been diagnosed with "borderline personality disorder". Her husband didn't know about this diagnosis.
- by talking to him, I was able to find out that almost nothing she had told me about herself was true. Her studies, her jobs, her family, she lied about pretty much everything. Her parents are elderly and I'm not sure how much Thomas will tell them about Cindy's fabrications.
- some of my friends who had distanced themselves from me were very supportive and told me they were not hanging out with me as much as we used to because Cindy's was very intrusive and made them uncomfortable... some of them were also propositioned sexually by her, or asked for money. None of them had told me anything before her death.
- she never had a job in my city. She was living off savings and her high-paying job didn't exist. She probably had a compulsive shopping habit because the basement is full of junk that she bought. She was careful not to let me see it...
- her real name wasn't even Cindy. She gave me a fake ID to sign the lease. Her husband, thankfully, is an upstanding guy and has been nothing but helpful and has already provided money to fix the damage that Cindy's done to the apartment (nothing major, luckily, but there are a few things to take care of.)

(Before anyone asks, yes, that guy is HER husband, he's not lying, I verified with the authorities and my lawyer).

This is just off the top of my head. It's a loving mess.

We had mutual friends, and while all of us suspected she was embellishing her stories/life experiences, none of us though she had created a fake life. We have been talking a lot with each other comparing things that Cindy said or did, she was mostly consistent with her stories, but some details were different, usually to prevent us from finding out that she lied about something (an example would be that she told me that our friend "Sean" slept with her, but please don't talk to him about it because he ended up regretting it, and would repeat the same story to someone else but changing a detail or two about why we could not mention their hookup to "Sean". Of course Sean never hosed her to begin with.)

So the questions here are a lot: how do I move on from here? How do I mend the relationship with my friends who have been harassed by Cindy? (they say it's not my fault, but I feel like it is.) Has anyone else experienced this kind of betrayal? I realize it was a psychiatric problem and not outright maliciousness, but it still hurts, and it feels like a proper betrayal! I feel like an idiot. Do you think I should see a therapist? I have a lot of mental and physical symptoms since she started being abusive, and now there's her death and all the stuff I found out about. I don't know where to start.

I guess I might have forgotten a few details, I'm very angry, shocked, numb, all at the same time, right now, so ask away if you want to understand better.

tl;dr my friend of 8 years has fabricated her whole life and I found out after she died, WTF do I do now

Great summary of all that there.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I (36m) have an age old question before marriage to my fiancée (34f) that may cause undesired side effects
Me (M/36) and my future wife (F/34) have talked about everything and been together for about 18 months; we’re engaged now. Talked about everything; Except one thing. How many guys she’s been with and if I measures up. I said that I’d want to know the first one, but unsure if I’d want to know where I rank in length. LOL. What is the communities thoughts or previous advice? Is this something that should be “cleared” before entering into a marriage or “a woman should have a few secrets?” I guess I have some insecurities and seeking community help.

TL;DR! Should I ask my future spouse how many people she’s been with and where I stack up amongst her past?

[Update] I got a lot of really good replies and feedback in a short amount of time. I appreciate the community and respect all of your advice. I’m actually going to take it also! I don’t need to make trouble where this is none was the most salient point. My insecurity, while on the low side of really impacting my life or future, cane from bad past experiences. I asked all of you so I wouldn’t make a bad decision with the great thing I have going on. And I need to respectfully disagree with the comment that I’m sexist. My future wife had brought up this scenario and asked how many people I’d been with in the past few months. I am happy and committed to her and she is to me. Again, I appreciate all of your feedback and I will act as a “almost 40 year old.” ;-)

Ahh yes, that age old question. Can I blow up my marriage before it even starts?

Now truthfully, he seems to have figured out to not ask the question, but with the fact that he even wanted to ask it, I think this problem may come back.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Lawlicaust posted:

:sever: Immediately. How is this a question?

She makes the excuse of she isn't home enough to satisfy his needs which just depresses me immensely. There is way too much of a chance that this piece of poo poo has been grooming that very young woman for years.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

What? You'd be willing to throw away a business for a prank just because you own a few other bakeries?

Only the OP and their wife works there, the wife was ok with the idea apparently. How many bakeries does a person need? I guess it was somewhere between 3-4.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for excluding my blind friend from my wedding?

As a person who lived with a completely blind person for most of their lives, I'll gladly say that the OP is the rear end in a top hat. Heaven forbid his mom gets the "privilege" of helping her son go to his friend's wedding.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

we americans would know it as Mayomust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRntutn8udw
I don't get why people lie on the internet. These commercials have been a American staple for years.

"sometimes I think I spread my life too thin..."

And for actual content.

AITA for telling my best friend (23) to stay away from my little brother (10)
So for some background context, I've been best friends with B (the name I'll give him) for about 5 years. We met over Xbox and have been close mates ever since. We've met IRL on multiple occasions and even stayed with each other for a good amount of time. He has met my family, including my 10 year old brother (K) who bonded with him over Fortnite. Should also mention I contact my brother through Snapchat. He only has some family added to send funny pictures and message me.

Now I have moved interstate to live closer to my partner and for a new job. I don't often have as much time to play games now but occasionally I'll jump on my Xbox and play with K for a few hours. Most of the time it's just us and sometimes he'll have a friend play. I probably have played a few times with B in the last 6 months but we haven't spoken much due to our positions and whatnot.

So last week K and I were playing and about an hour in, B unexpectedly joins. Nothing unusual but I'm fine with letting a friend join in on quality time with my brother. Not to long after, I've decided we should jump off and continue with it another day. B agrees, says goodbye and leaves. I spend another few minutes saying goodbye to K and leave the game.

Fast forward about 5 hours later, I head back onto the Xbox and see B playing Fortnite. Figured I'd join¹ party too. Okay. Sure that's cool.

Anyway, this morning I wake up and send K a message as usual to let him know I'll be on at 11am (like every other week). I call my mum like I do every other week to check in and see how things are. Aftee some conversation, she mentions K has been playing since 8am and since it's the weekend, "probably will get square eyes from playing all day". Classic Mum joke. So I jump on, load up Fortnite and am surprised to find K is playing with B alone. I join and right as I get in, B leaves. I ask my brother how long he's been on for. "Since 8". "And how long has B played with you for?" "He asked me on Snapchat to play". Immediately I was concerned how he got it. I for one have never enjoyed social media so I only use Reddit. I assumed maybe K had told him but it was strictly just for our immediate family. Before asking B, I took to Mum. I called and asked to check the message and heard her go quiet for about 20 seconds. Unfortunately I can't attach the screenshot, but the caption to a photo reads "I can pick you up at lunchtime".

So at this point and time, I'm a 6 hour drive away and can't do much. I called B and confronted him with the screenshot, threatening to call the police and calling him some names I probably shouldn't have. Apparently he had no intention of 'doing' anything, whatever the gently caress that means. I hungup and called the police to let them know "an adult has tried to lure a child out of (unnamed) primary school tomorrow at 12.30pm. I did this anonymously..

Now is my question. Am I the rear end in a top hat? Did I do the right thing, or should I have done something different..

I know I usually think I'm an rear end in a top hat when I stop an adult from discretely kidnapping my little brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

WIBTA for forcing my child to go to college at 13?
Our daughter is in grade 10 and is the youngest in her grade by two years. She excels academically to a point that opens many doors for her, like going to highschool early. She's maintaining a 99 mark average and after doing a science fair at a local university, she was offered to begin college courses online part-time and potentially become fulltime if things work out. Her highschool IEP planner said this is not something we should give up, the outcome being potentially graduating highschool at 15 and university/college shortly thereafter at 16 or 17.

My wife and I really want her to take advantage of this opportunity, but our daughter is not 100% on board. She wants to, but doesn't want to do it right now. She wants to finish highschool, take a year off to work, and then go to college.

This "deal" this university made with us is that she can take these classes free of tuition, even get a yearly stipend for textbooks and technology. She would effectively not only skip the $8,000/yr tuition but also receive about $5,000/yr in grants. Imagine being paid to go to school. This is all assuming she goes now, and not later. The college gets free publicity for having a (very) minor student, drawing in more potential students. The allure is in her age being so young.

Would we be the assholes for "forcing" this upon her? By forcing, we want to push hard for her to make this decision, but we'd never literally force her to go to college by way of consequences. If she doesn't want to, she doesn't have to, but we want to make her aware this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. This is something that gets you in the news, it gets your foot in the door for lucrative jobs, just by the fact you have a degree at 16. I would have done anything to have this opportunity growing up, and I don't want her to squander it away.

Maybe if your daughter is so smart she should be making the decisions. Nothing is better for a 13 year old than sending them off to university with all their peers. Oh wait..