Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tiggum posted:

We should leave this thread to spit on my clit, yeah I eat rear end and Gripweed. When it comes to unpopular opinions, no one else can compete. They're on another level.

Agreed. And this is one of my favorite threads on this forum. I don't generally post in it to avoid disturbing the natural environment of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
One time on a flight between Japan and Honolulu the man in a row front of me watched the Venom film at least 4 times. Which honestly is pretty cool, it inspired me to watch it once.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Just spray .50 cal fire in the direction of the intruders imo

I spin my bo staff so fast that I block the bullets.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Jenny Nicholson is... good

She is for sure one of the best.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Pastry of the Year posted:

He recently retired, at the age of 99. So there's not going to be any new material, but his body of work really is evergreen. There are scans of some of his MAD paperbacks at the Internet Archive.

He's a treasure.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
LotR magic in general is not super flashy, the flashy stuff is mostly the product of the rings, which were created by Sauron's power or methodology. Until the fall the actual magical thing we read about Gandalf (that wasn't a product of his ring) was him attempting to order the door to stay closed with a word of Command, but the balrog is able to break this spell. After the fall though he apparently is near indestructible and just has an innate ability to control the minds and actions of the people around him should he choose. It is inferred in the book that he would have had the ability to stand toe to toe with the Witch-King of Angmar but of course the madness of Denethor kept him from testing that.

Rick has a new favorite as of 06:07 on Jan 23, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Pastry of the Year posted:

Y'all are all so dang weird and I love you.

It's 100% one of the best threads on the forum, I've read every single odd page.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Boysenberry jam on bread is one of the few good sandwiches.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Wait no, I've seen this before. You just need to introduce a species to prey on the deer and that should work out perfectly with no side-effects at all.

For what it's worth re-introducing wolves is promising, at least in parts of the US where the cattle ranchers aren't completely in control of the park system.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

i think the "north european" style of posting is funny just because of how much it pisses a certain kind of american poster off

not as good as the subcontinental style of posting though where everything starts with "sir," and ends with "thank you" and other people are called "my friends" etc

This is why you are a vital part of this thread ecosystem, on an entire page full of people posting extremely popular opinions among normal people or dweebs, you bring it back.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have tattoo of the white tree of Gondor and it is in fact cool

This is smart, if you are getting attacked by ring wraiths you simply rip your shirt off and yell, 'Elbereth,' and they will leave you alone. Unfortunately Orcs are too vulgar for this to work. I guess it's like Danny Divito said in the commercial for that straight to netflix movie, 'guy with a pale Morgul blade? Rip your shirt off and yell "Elbereth!;" guy with yellowed tusks, big hairy arms and legs and a scimitar? Run!'

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

it's actually extremely popular to poo poo on nirvana

the "bands to poo poo on to look cool" have gone from beatles -> nirvana -> radiohead, so you're a little behind

Depends on how old you are. Young millennials and Zoomers loving love Nirvana.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Typical Capricorn.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
E: Sorry this post was meant for the basketball thread.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

It's really weird how many people don't know how to ride a horse. Everyone should ride one at least once.

I think you need to ride them more than once to actually know how to ride them. I've probably rode a horse six times over my life but I wouldn't feel comfortable just hopping on one now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

nurmie posted:

i heard there's a certain house there. it's quite famous apparently. something about astronomical phenomena and the like

Brad Pitt lives there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

my wardrobe is pretty much just blue and grey

Always knew my boy repped the proper set. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R-K9-lty6M

See you in 2000 posts when I catch up.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I gave u p, I was never going to catch up to the 4000 posts I was behind and I miss you lovely weirdos and hope you have a good new year as unlikely as that is for any of us.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm declaring San Diego State the College Football National Champion this season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I'd bet that the renunciation of German identity in America during WW1 contributed to 20th and 21st century racism in a way that people don't think about. You had millions of people who thought of themselves as Germans and then almost overnight switched to thinking of themselves as "white". And whiteness is an absence of identity, it only exists in opposition to other races.

I don't know what the actual observable effects of that change were, it's not like there's a big racism meter that went up. But I bet it had some effects.

I am sorry I wish I could find the name of the book but unfortunately I can’t, but the text we used in my “History of Ethnicity” class covered the Germans coming to be considered white. It was more of a gradual process but once complete hard to picture it otherwise.

One could argue that the concept of whiteness only exists to perpetuate racism so yeah definitely you are on the right track.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

If you're going to go bed-less, at least go the hammock route. It's likely to be a lot more comfortable than a rollup mat on the floor, and it packs up even smaller.

I've never thought much about what my potential partner sleeps in but going in and seeing a hammock would make me smile.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
My absolute favorite part of my film minor was whenever a class would focus on 20s and 30s cinema. There is so much good poo poo there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Robobot posted:

Unpopular opinion: I kinda like Teslas. I think they’re kinda cool in that people are allowed to buy and operate concept cars with unproven technology. In about 15 years I bet the cars are gonna be really good. A few dead drivers is a small price to pay for a future with Johnny Cabs and all cars able to go 0-60 in 4 seconds.

In a way they are kind of mass market Homer Simpson cars, but I love them and would buy one if I had a house to charge it and made more money. Well and if they would put a public charger in North East Arizona, my favorite place to do a mini road trip to.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

i want an electric car man but i just want it to be smaller. i don't get why they need to be huge sedans instead of hatchbacks

You should check out the Nisan Leaf or Ioniq 5 as they are hatchbacks. Kind of. The batteries are still big enough that it makes them look kind of weird to fit it.

The Leaf is probably the best car when you factor in price and I think the assist mode is probably what most people want as opposed to self-drive (which I think is cool but seems to turn a lot of people off).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

alexandriao posted:

Jokes on you all if you don't understand that half of the time I am seriousposting and half of the time I am shitposting, sometimes alternately within the same post!!!

Part of the meta of the thread is trying to decide when a poster is serious or joking, usually pretty easy but not always.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

postmodifier posted:

It even pre-dates Phantom Menace, PepsiCo/Yum! Brands went absolutely apeshit in promoting the Special Edition theatrical releases

Like you couldn't even get a single soft taco without eleven pounds of star wars merchandise being thrown at you

Pepsi must have gotten some seriously lucrative contract behind the scenes, because drat

I remember seeing these and thinking "this is going to be my only chance to watch Star Wars in the theater" as a kid. Lol.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
For the North California stuff there was an interesting movie on HBO Max or something last year called “Finding Bigfoot” that was more about drug growing than Big Foot but it is a nice look at Nor Cal culture.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

i have never seen or read "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy". nevertheless i am of the opinion that it sucks and is lame

I think if you read it as a kid you in particular would like it but it feels like the type of book impossible to get into as an adult.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
One of my best friends in high school was Korean and he insisted that I eat when I was at his house, but we never ate anything but brown rice. There was white rice too, but the first time I was at his house he said, "gotta keep it healthy and have the brown rice." It was like one of the three years of my life where I wasn't fat, too, and was playing 1-4 hours of basketball a day and could burn off anything. But I couldn't be rude, so I ate the brown rice. But in hindsight he was probably right. Maybe he was right about Jesus as well. Something for me to think about tonight.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Texas has some private firms competing to put high speed rail in, so it's going to happen in some respect within the next 5-25 years, just maybe not one that makes a lot of sense.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's wild to remember that there were multiple people who would just call me and talk to me for hours all after like 11:00 PM Arizona time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It was at least around in the early 2010s because it was in college textbooks that I read and I graduated in 2013.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

i want an electric car but which doesnt have all the electronic and computerized bullshit. i dont want an onboard computer or gimmicky tesla stuff. i want it to feel like driving a normal car with manual transmission but without gasoline

From what I understand this is what the electric F150 is like.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If you see a scene in any non-Abrams Star Wars movie and don't immediately recognize what film it's an homage to, you need to go retake History of Film 101A.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

thetoughestbean posted:

If we can find ruins of ancient mega cities we can find a single bigfoot skeleton. But we haven’t

You can't really judge stuff based on fossil records because the fact that we ever find anything at all is a stroke of luck. There are giant gaps in the fossil records of animals we see everyday. Like you can spend an evening reading up on the history of trying to prove the horse existed.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ragnar34 posted:

I don't come to the unpopular opinions thread to have people question me. I come here to describe reality as it is out here in the Desert of the Real.

But if too many people agree with your post, you should get a sixer for posting off topic.

[meta]Like 70% of the things posted here are default euroman opinion and 20% are things like half the population believes. It's part of what makes the thread good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Their intentionally bad joke movies are bad, but they aren't the bulk of their output. Most Asylum stuff is knockoff of popular movies with legally distinct titles, or movies that try to sell themselves based purely on the poster. And those are all terrible. All of them are 90% army men talking in a room.

But the fact that they're all bad isn't what's damaging to cinema about them. What's damaging is that super low budget movies made quick to fill slots has been a thing in cinema forever, but it used to produce good stuff. Roger Corman is the most influential person in the history of cinema, so many great actors and directors got their start working on movies called stuff like "The Horror of the Atomic Man!" The First movie Francis Ford Coppola directed was a Psycho knockoff shot in 9 days called Dementia 13 that he was able to make because another movie wrapped early and Corman was like, hey kid make a movie. Cannon Pictures, even loving Full Moon, they produced a ton of garbage but they also produced some good, interesting, or unique movies, and trained up a generation of filmmakers.

Now The Asylum fills that position in the industry, but their formula is so rigid they never produce anything interesting, and they aren't training up new filmmakers. They have shut down what was a major talent pipeline into the industry.

I think that pipedown was shut down anyway. But other ones are open. The barrier to entry to theaters is lower than ever and well at least prior to covid. There's always a chance that if a film manages to get in front of the right eyes that it has a chance to get national indie theater distribution even if it's a director's first film and made for a few thousand dollars, which wasn't the case all that long ago. And if you can get a film distributed like that and it does moderately okay there's a solid chance you can get a shot at getting your film developed at an indie studio with a bigger budget and from there the faux indies and then regular films. Not to mention we're seeing people go from indie film ---> multi million dollar budget Netflix film fairly often.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It would be so hard to get someone to gently caress me in the woods.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think Vice City is the one that needs a remake the most because there's some fun ideas but the gameplay is really bad. Lease the Fox engine from Konami and just keep the story the same.

hawowanlawow posted:

GTA IV's driving is excellent, easily the best of the whole series

I agree with this about cars, although motorcycles were almost impossible to control without dying until the Lost and the Damned put some drivable ones out. Or maybe Nico just didn't know how to ride?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
For many years I had an ipod in a car that had nothing but all the GTA SA music, complete with the commercials mixed around but it took a lot of by-hand work to set it up and after about the fifth time Apple reset the order I gave up.